Minimally Invasive Neurological Spine Surgery  |
Dr. John Bookwalter III, MD
Dr. William Bookwalter is the principle surgeon and founder of Pittsburgh Spines. His is board certified in Neurological Surgery from the American Board of Neurological Surgery. With over 20 years of experience his professional resume is distinguished and well recognized across the globe. His skills allow utilization of the absolute latest techniques and the use of cutting edge medical equipment to maximize mobility and minimize recovery time.

5000 McKnight Rd Ste 202

• Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield
  • TriWest Champus
  • UPMC Health Plan

Learn about Dr. Bookwalter III

At Pittsburgh Spines the accolades we care most about are from our patients themselves:

"Dr. Bookwalter performed a double hemi laminectomy discotomy and I had great results. No problems for 5 years but recently I was getting back pain in the same area. His staff got me in right away and ordered an MRI. After reviewing the results I was prescribed a care plan. Excellent."

"This physician was willing to listen to my questions and concerns and address them. It was obvious he had exceptional knowledge in his area, and I trusted his advice/decision-making process. I plan to stay with him for my particular health problem in the future."

Pittsburgh Spines is Dr. Bookwalter's dream of a practice where patients can spend ample time with their doctor, have all their questions answered, and be treated with dignity and respect at every single interaction.

Dr. Bookwalter III's Experience

Dr. Bookwalter III's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Minimally Invasive Neurological Spine Surgery

• Coccyx or Sacrum Fracture
  • Craniopharyngioma
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Meningiomas
  • Neck Strain (incl. Whiplash Injury)
  • Nerve Tumors

• Carotid Ultrasound
  • Cervical Artificial Disc Replacement
  • Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Microdiscectomy
  • Neuroplasty
  • Puncture Aspiration
  • Spinal Fusion
  • Spinal Reconstructive Surgery for Deformities
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Pennsylvania.

• Butler University
  • University Of Michigan / Ann Arbor
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1978
  • University Of Pittsburgh Medical Center
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1984

Dr. Bookwalter III has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Bookwalter III does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Bookwalter III and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Bookwalter III's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Bookwalter III to family and friends
4.2
Dr. Bookwalter III Says:

Thank you so much for leaving a review for us to learn from. Public forums like this allow us to improve our practice and gather true, honest feedback from patients like you.

Dr. Bookwalter III's Performance
Vandergrift, PA |
Not having my MRI or X-rays results on display to look at with me and then tell me you had no idea you ordered EMG testing and then never even read them when then were faxed to you a week prior, is in one word "unprofessional "! What a waste of my time! Will never recommend this doctor or GPOA to anyone!! This doctor is not only unprofessional but, also impersonable!
Saxonburg, PA |
Excellent caring doctor! Would not hesitate to recommend as I don't believe you will find anyone better!
I wish I could give a 5 star review, my life would be terrific. However, back in February 08, Dr Bookwalter performed cervical spine surgery, fusion C6-7. I have been told this was/is a very simple operation. Needless to say, I had to have 2 additional surgeries to try to correct the damage done by the initial surgery. Would you believe, there was a piece of disc remaining lodged against my spinal cord! I am in pain 24/7; nerve damage is awful and next to impossible to get relief. STAY AWAY!!
in Murrysville, PA |
Dr Boolwalter's patience and calm demeanor make you feel comfortable being his patient. I had lower back issues and the Doc did as much as he could to help alleviate he issue. Still have pain but am fully functional! Excellent recommendation.
in Linesville |
Recently, Dr. Bookwalter performed a triple posterior cervical foramanotomy on me. I chose him through the recommendation of a friend who had known him personally and professionally for over 20 years. Another doctor wanted to do fusion on me, but Dr. Bookwalter did this minimally invasive surgery that has taken all of my pain totally away! He is easy to talk to, answers all your questions in plain language and is a terrific neurosurgeon! If you fear surgery, like I did, see him. He's the best!!
in Butler, PA |
26 years ago Dr. Bookwalter removed a spinal sheath tumor from brachial plexus that had grown into spinal column. Operation had 33% chance of paralysis 33% chance of death and 33% of a good outcome. Outcome was phenomenal! Patient was my deceased husband and because of Dr.Bookwalter my husband got to see his children grow to adulthood and get married. My husband would still be alive today if it wasn't for a different doctors medical error. Thank you Dr. Bookwalter for the extra time given!
in Pittsburgh, PA |
Dr. Bookwalter - simply put, is the BEST. I had a total disk replacement (c6-c7) as outpatient. I was in the recovery room within 2 hours - no neck brace or anything. It has now been 3 weeks - pain is gone and I am doing wonderfully. Dr. B explained everything and I had complete confidence in him. A note on above & beyond - My insurance company initially denied the claim. Dr. B did a peer-to-peer with the insurance company - they then approved the claim. Kudos to Dr. B !!!
in Mount Pleasant, PA |
This gentleman is the best in his field. I had visited an Orthopedic Surgeon in Latrobe. That Doctor sent me to a pain clinic for an epidural. That didn't work. A friend at work recommended I see Dr. Bookwalter. I did ... thank God. Dr. Bookwalter immediately diagnosed my problem as stemming from a severely herniated disc and stenosis in the L2-L3 area. He did not push surgery, however. That was my choice. I had surgery on the 19th and walked out the same day, pain free. He's the best.
in Everett, PA |
Dr Bookwalter is only the second Dr in my life that takes the time to explain in detail his findings and procedures at no rush
Have you seen Dr. John Bookwalter III, MD?
Are you Dr. Bookwalter III?

Visit Dr. Bookwalter III