Dr. John Absher, MD

NeurologyMaleAge 60

Dr. John Absher, MD is a Neurology Specialist in Greenville, SC and has over 35 years of experience in the medical field. Dr. Absher has more experience with Epilepsy, Headache, and Neurodegenerative Disorders than other specialists in his area. He graduated from University of Virginia / Main Campus medical school in 1986. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Absher to book an appointment.

Neuroscience Associates

200 Patewood Dr Ste B350 Greenville, SC 29615
Telehealth services available

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Neurology Specialists in your area

• Offers Telehealth

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice claims information for South Carolina

Frequently Treated by Dr. Absher

Based on treatment records, we have identified the following as areas of care that Dr. Absher treats more often than their peers. If you are unsure whether Dr. Absher treats other conditions, please contact the office at (864) 454-4500.

Epilepsy

Epilepsy specialists diagnose and treat spectrum of brain disorders that cause seizures due to an interruption of normal nerve activity in the brain.Compare with other Epilepsy specialists.

Dr. Absher is experienced in the area of Epilepsy. See the graph below to learn more about his experience.

Based on claims data for 3 conditions and procedures

Epilepsy
Seizure Disorders

Headache

Headache is a common symptom that can sometimes signal a more serious condition, such as migraine, high blood pressure, or cerebral hemorrhage.Compare with other Headache specialists.

Dr. Absher is experienced in the area of Headache. See the graph below to learn more about his experience.

Based on claims data for 6 conditions and procedures

Similar Providers
All Headaches (incl. Migraine)
Headache
Migraine

Neurodegenerative Disorders

Neurodegenerative disorders specialists diagnose and treat diseases, such as Parkinson's disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), Lewy body disease, and Huntington's disease, that break down motor neurons, resulting in debiliating and life-threatening symptoms.Compare with other Neurodegenerative Disorders specialists.

Dr. Absher is experienced in the area of Neurodegenerative Disorders. See the graph below to learn more about his experience.

Based on claims data for 8 conditions and procedures

• Central Nervous System Lymphoma
  • Cerebral Artery Thrombosis
  • Cerebral Palsy
  • Cerebrovascular Disease
  • Chorea (Excluding Huntington's Chorea)
  • Chronic Pain
  • Essential Tremor
  • Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension
  • Inflammatory and Toxic Neuropathy
  • Insomnia
  • Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
  • Myasthenia Gravis
  • Parkinson's Disease
  • Polyneuropathy
  • Post-Concussion Syndrome
  • Primary Central Nervous System Lymphoma
  • Progressive Supranuclear Palsy (PSP)
  • Rasmussen's Syndrome
  • Subarachnoid Hemorrhage
  • Syncope
  • Tension Headache
  • Torticollis
  • Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA)
  • Traumatic Brain Injury
  • Tremor
  • Vertigo
  • Visual Field Defects
  • Vitamin B Deficiency
  • Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome

Dr. Absher accepts

Dr. Absher accepts the following insurance:

National (BlueCard) PPO
HealthyBlue 2.0
HealthyBlue Advantage

Dr. Absher's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Absher

2.3

Dr. Absher?
  • Appointment wasn't rushed (19)
  • Explained conditions well (19)
  • Listened & answered questions (19)
  • Appointment was rushed (33)
  • Didn't explain conditions well (33)
  • Didn't listen or answer questions (32)
My late husband was an Alzheimer's patient of Dr. Absher in the last few years before his death. At his first visit, Dr. Absher gave him an exceptionally thorough cognitive examination, far more comprehensive than another physician (a psychiatrist!). Already diagnosed with some form of dementia, my husband had compassionate and competent care from Dr. Absher for his remaining years, until he went into assisted living when the Gerontologist took over. In addition, Dr. Absher gave me the guidance and reassurance that I needed to care for my husband at home, for as long as possible. He gave us, in effect, more "good"time together, time that I am grateful for having had. Though I cannot remember much about the management matters - wait time, appointment scheduling, etc. - I remember well Dr. Absher and his excellent care-giving.
Karen – Oct 22, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Absher, MD?
My husband had an appointment with Dr. Absher today. He was very professional and addressed all of our questions with kindness and clarity. He also gave us practical options for follow up evaluation. His Nurse Practioner was also professional and well qualified to address my husband's concerns. My husband is a physician and I am a nurse and we both believe that Dr. Absher is not only well trained, but also well educated and knowledgeable in his specialty.
Judith in SC – May 02, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Absher, MD?
Horrible, uncaring and does not listen. After going over my History I had a migraine and he went out and got me a medicine to drink. After taking this I had this headache for 3 days. When I researched the medicine I found that it could have killed me since I had by pass surgery a few months before... Doctor is a idiot for giving it to me...
Simpsonville – Mar 06, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Absher, MD?
He is s rude. I was there once when he had a student. They both went out snickering at me and the description of my ailment, and referred me to a psycho-neurologist! I was astonished! He is very aloof and behaves as if he doesn't want to touch his patients. Once I was forgotten and left in the waiting room for about an hour. The waiting room is small and usually crowded. My doctor recently referred me to him again. I refuse to go. They are now looking for another neurologist. Don't use him
Nov 10, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Absher, MD?
As I sit as I do for the last few years retracing the steps when my child first became ill. Dr.absher #1 No bedside manner #2 my child was getting worse finally I called an E.N.T. after examining him he came back to say He had gotten a appt. At M.U.S.C. E.N.T. he needed aggressive medical attention 2years later over 4 million $ we buried MY child he was misdiagnosed we lost precious time I lost a precious child our lives forever changed by the Grace of God we are growing in our walk
Greenville, SC – Jun 14, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Absher, MD?
If I could leave Dr. Absher zero stars I would. He twice treated me during hospitilization and both times failed to even TRY to diagnose me. Because my symptoms were tricky, he decided it must all be in my head. I would not let my dog be treated by this smug arrogant doctor. He cares nothing for his patients.
Kate in Greenville, SC – Apr 28, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Absher, MD?
Bad bedside manners, cocky and just unprofessional. His partner is just as bad. Also talks bad about other patients.
Jo in Simpsonville, SC – Aug 25, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Absher, MD?
we really did like Dr Absher with our frist visit he eplaine all the test that was ordered and the words I couldnot unstand he broke them down for me he was not in a hurry to leave us and we are looking forward for my husband next appointment april 15 mem
Larry c. coker in Pelzer, SC – Mar 29, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Absher, MD?
Personally connects with his patients and their specific problems on a professional level. Is genuinely concerned for their overall wellbeing. Searches for the underlying cause of the problem and doesn't try to mask it like so many others,I had been ignored by other Specialists as someone they couldn't help for chronic, complicated migraines,after having two non-aggressive brain hemorrhages and seeing Dr. Absure, he saw me for the migraines and we have had success in controlling them. Dedicated
Bj in Greenville SC – Jan 18, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Absher, MD?
Dr. Absher refused care due to my injuries being the result of a car accident where another driver was at fault. We do not accept patients injured in car accidents. I was referred by my primary care physician. Dr. Absher is in it for easy money and does not care about his patients. Do yourself a favor and stay away.
NMI in Greenville, SC – Dec 17, 2015
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Absher, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Absher?

• Neurology