Dr. Joelle L. Jakobsen, MD

Dr. Joelle L. Jakobsen, MD

11 reviews

General Surgery | Female | 46 years old

I am originally from Maryland, but came to California for medical school and never left. I completed my Medical School and Residency at Loma Linda University in Southern California and, while there, was selected to serve as Chief Resident, by my fellow residents. From there, I went onto a Fellowship in Surgical Critical Care, at Orlando Regional Medical Center, Central Florida's only Level One Trauma Center. I enjoy being a surgeon because I like to make people feel better and get them back to their normal routine quickly. Thus, when possible, most of my surgeries are done with minimally invasive techniques that decrease hospital length of stay, result in less pain and provide a quicker recovery. I have been with Mercy Medical Group for 12 years and currently serve as the Chief of Surgery at Mercy San Juan, a position I am most proud of because it requires an election by your peers. In addition, I serve as the Cancer Liaison for the hospital, and attend quarterly Regional Oncology meetings to discuss quality measures and cancer care for our oncology patients. I work closely with our highly skilled oncologists, radiation oncologists, and amazing Nurse Navigators to provide a team approach to cancer care. We strive to offer a positive patient experience and to ensure the patient that they are not alone. On a personal note, I met my husband while studying abroad in England and have been married for 25 wonderful years and counting. I am passionate about raising breast cancer awareness and am a member of the American Society of Breast Surgeons. One of my favorite activities is hosting our Annual Breast Cancer Survivor Tea, we are preparing to host our 13th Annual Tea. It is wonderful to see so many fantastic women sharing their stories of strength. In addition to planning for the next Tea, I also enjoy dancing, skiing, golfing, and traveling with husband. Read more

Mercy Medical Group
Gastrointestinal Care Excellence Award

Dr. Jakobsen is on the medical staff at our top-rated hospital.

View Awards

I want to make a difference in people's life, make them feel whole again, and get them back in their normal routine, pain free, with a speedy recovery. Our team understands there is no convenient time for a hernia repair, gallbladder or appendix removal, or a breast or colon cancer diagnosis. These conditions can upset your world, but we are here as a team to help you through the process, to take care of you, and to provide minimal disruption in your life.Read more

Personal Bio

Dr. Jakobsen's Experience

See how Dr. Jakobsen's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Jakobsen

Dr. Jakobsen accepts 8 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Jakobsen has admitting privileges.

Dr. Jakobsen's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Jakobsen to family and friends
3.9
based on 11 total surveys (1 with a review)
Experience with Dr. Jakobsen
Dr. Jakobsen's Office & Staff
    10 – 15 minutes (11)
in Citrus Heights, CA |
very friendly and makes you feel very comfortable with the procedure you are about to have. she is very confident and professional. I had navel hernia surgery and had minor pain and feel very comfortable with her work thank you DR Jakobsen
Have you seen Dr. Joelle L. Jakobsen, MD?
Are you Dr. Jakobsen?

Compare Dr. Jakobsen

More General Surgery Specialists like Dr. Jakobsen at Mercy Medical Group

Dr. Jakobsen says...

I have been with Mercy Medical Group for 12 years and currently serve as the Chief of Surgery at Mercy San Juan, a position I am most proud of because it requires an election by your peers.  In addition, I serve as the Cancer Liaison for the hospital, and attend quarterly Regional Oncology meetings to discuss quality measures and cancer care for our oncology patients.  I work closely with our highly skilled oncologists, radiation oncologists, and amazing Nurse Navigators to provide a team approach to cancer care. We strive to offer a positive patient experience and to ensure the patient that they are not alone.

Dr. Jakobsen's Care Philosophy

I want to make a difference in people's life, make them feel whole again, and get them back in their normal routine, pain free, with a speedy recovery.  Our team understands there is no convenient time for a hernia repair, gallbladder or appendix removal, or a breast or colon cancer diagnosis. These conditions can upset your world, but we are here as a team to help you through the process, to take care of you, and to provide minimal disruption in your life.

Dr. Jakobsen says...

Additional training in daVinci robotic procedures so I can provide minimally invasive surgeries for colon, hernia, appendix and gallbladders.

Breast cancer surgery

Dr. Jakobsen's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in General Surgery
  •  Board certified in Critical Care Surgery and General Surgery

Dr. Jakobsen has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for California.

Why It Matters: Dr. Jakobsen's Board Certifications

Completed in 2001

Orlando Regional Medical Center-Surgical Critical Care

Completed in 2002

Rollins College

Dr. Jakobsen does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Jakobsen and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• General Surgery

• Breast Surgical Procedure
  • Colectomy
  • Colorectal Surgery, Robotic-Assisted
  • Distal Pancreatectomy
  • Enterostomy (Laparoscopic or Open)
  • Excision of Breast Tumor
  • Hepatectomy
  • Incisional Hernia Repair, Laparoscopic
  • Inguinal Hernia Repair, Laparoscopic
  • Inguinal Hernia Repair, Open
  • Intestinal Transplant (incl. Enterectomy)
  • Laparoscopic Splenectomy