Orthopedic Surgery  |
Dr. Joel Virkler, DO
Thank you for your interest and taking the time to learn about my practice. I am an Orthopedic Surgeon at Lafayette Orthopaedic Clinic, a Unity Healthcare partner. I grew up in Remington, Indiana, and I practice in both Lafayette and Rensselaer. I truly enjoy staying connected with the people and community in which I was raised. As an undergraduate student at Purdue University in Biomedical Engineering, studying the complex nature of the musculoskeletal system led to a natural interest in Orthopedic Surgery. To provide you with expert care, I pursued specialized fellowship training in sports medicine combined with primary and revision joint replacement surgery at Triangle Orthopaedic Associates, P.A. in Durham, North Carolina.

1411 S Creasy Ln Ste 120

• MDwise
  • PHCS
  • Sagamore Health Network

Learn about Dr. Virkler

As an osteopathic physician, my goal is to treat you like my own family and empower you to make educated decisions regarding your care. I truly mean that and look forward to walking through the healing process with you. I love seeing people return to their sport, job, or hobbies as they get their body back in motion.

My approach is holistic: I not only consider a specific complaint, xray finding or lab value, but always factor your activity and lifestyle goals into a treatment plan. Back pathology can cause hip or knee pain and vice versa. Therefore, it is imperative that I look beyond the obvious to find the source of your pain, and that is my commitment to you!

Dr. Virkler's Experience

Dr. Virkler's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

• Ankle Sprain and Achilles Tendon Sprain or Rupture
  • Ankle Sprains and Strains
  • Broken Arm
  • Foot Fracture
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Ganglion Cyst
  • Hand Fracture
  • Hip Fracture
  • Internal Derangement of Knee
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Sprain
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Non-Unions and Malunions of Fractures

• Shoulder Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
  • Total Joint Replacement and Revision
  • Total Shoulder Replacement
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Indiana.

• Purdue University / Main Campus
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 2005
  • A T Sill U Hlth Sci Kirksville Coll Osteo Med
    Medical School | Graduated 2009
  • Botsford General Hospital
    Internship Hospital | Completed 2010
  • Botsford General Hospital
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2014
  • Triangle Orthopaedic Associates, P.A.
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2015

Dr. Virkler has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Virkler does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Virkler and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Virkler's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Virkler to family and friends
Dr. Virkler Says:

I hope you find these Patient Survey scores helpful. Thank you to my patients who took the time to describe their experience and share with others who are looking for a specialist who listens to their concerns.

If you received excellent care, please share with your family and friends. The best compliment I can receive is the opportunity to care for those who are closest to you.

If you...

Dr. Virkler's Performance
in Lafayette, IN |
I had 15 years of hip pain and was referred to Dr. Virkler. He recommended anterior hip surgery. Upon completion of surgery, I was told there would be 8 weeks recovery time and 12 weeks to full recovery. At the end of the 3rd week of surgery, I was able to mow yard with a push mower (carefully). At 4 weeks I was walking 3 plus miles a day. At the end of 8 weeks I was walking 5 miles with minimal issues. I was totally released at 12 weeks with zero pain issues with the repaired hip.
West Lafayette, IN |
Dr. Virkler performed the surgery for my total knee replacement. At my initial appointment He spent time educating me about the procedure, recovery, and answering my questions. After a successful surgery, I went home the next day, but not before he talked with me about pain level, general overall feelings, medical devices to assist in recovery, and physical therapy. Throughout the process, Dr. Virkler treated me as if I was the most important patient. He was compassionate & caring.
in Lafayette, IN |
Dr. Virkler performed a hip replacement for me. Everything went well and I was back to work sooner than expected. I would recommend Dr. Virkler for anyone needing hip replacement surgery.
in Frankfort, IN |
Dr. Virkler did a partial knee replacement on my right knee he did a fantastic job!!!! Less then 4 weeks I am back to work. My recovery was fast and pain very minimal. All my office visits were great his nurse was very caring along with all the office personnel.
in West Lafayette, IN |
I Would highly recommend Dr. Virkler. He is compassionate, caring, knowledgeable, empathetic, professional and a great listener. He is God fearing and always wants the best for his patients. We really appreciate your prayers and kindness!!
in Francesville, IN |
Surgery and recovery were excellent with the only problem being my body's tolerance to some pain medications. My pain level was very low and pain medication probably could have been too. Minimal scar and I can walk pain free again after my right hip joint replacement. Jeanette
in Crawfordsville, IN |
Dr. Virkler was always very attentive and listened to what I had to say. Was very concerned and even checked on me over the weekend.
in West Lafayette IN |
Excellent doctor in skills, compassion, and bedside manner. Goes the extra mile for the patient no matter what. (He even delivered a McD's diet coke to me in recovery!) Dr. Virkler is first class.
in Lafayette, IN |
Dr. Virkler performed my hip surgery using anterior approach replacement. This approach spares cutting of the muscles in the hip area, shortens the recovery process and requires no restrictions on the movement of the hip during recovery. My hospital stay was approximately 48 hours. I was able to return to work 3 weeks post-surgery and am now 6 weeks post-surgery and have completed my physical therapy regimen. He is a caring, compassionate, skilled surgeon that I would highly recommend to all.
in West Lafayette, IN |
My husband had a bad break, Dr Virkler was caring, and encouraging. Surgery was scheduled quickly, praying with us was comforting and surgery went well. Couldn't have found a better surgeon or care. Highly recommended Thank you.
Have you seen Dr. Joel Virkler, DO?
Are you Dr. Virkler?

Visit Dr. Virkler

Dr. Virkler accepts 12 insurance carriers
  • Anthem
  • Anthem Blue Cross
    Medicare Advantage
    Healthy Indiana Plan (HIP)
  • Encore