Dr. Joel Shapiro, MD

Orthopedic SurgeryMaleAge 54

Dr. Shapiro

Seattle Orthopedic Surgery Center

2409 N 45th St Seattle, WA 98103

Dr. Joel Shapiro, MD is a Orthopedic Surgery Specialist in Seattle, WA and has over 26 years of experience in the medical field. Dr. Shapiro has more experience with Shoulder & Upper Arm Surgery than other specialists in his area. He graduated from Suny Downstate Medical Center College of Medicine medical school in 1995. He is affiliated with Swedish First Hill Campus. He is accepting new patients. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Shapiro to book an appointment.

Compare with other Orthopedic Surgery Specialists

Compare Dr. Shapiro with our nearby Orthopedic Surgery Specialists at UW Medicine.

Make an appointment at UW Medicine today at (206) 829-4223.

Filter by
Provider Ratings

These providers are on the medical staff of UW Medicine.

Dr. Shapiro's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Shapiro

4.5

Dr. Shapiro?
  • Listened & answered questions (30)
  • Staff friendliness (30)
  • Appointment wasn't rushed (29)
  • Appointment was rushed (4)
  • Didn't explain conditions well (4)
  • Didn't listen or answer questions (4)
I was experiencing rotator cuff symptoms. After an exam Dr Shapiro recommended an MRI. After reviewing the MRI he diagnosed me with a tendon tear; and then recommended PT to strengthen the shoulder and prevent further damage. Concise and incisive! Ten out of ten.
johncla – Apr 05, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Shapiro, MD?
Worst doctor I have ever seen. Dr. Shapiro is very arrogant, dismissive and uncaring. I had shoulder dislocation and saw Dr. Shapiro twice. He spent 5 minutes talking to me and became impatient when I was asking questions. He couldn't care less about my conditions and didn't even go over the MRI results with me. He suggested doing surgery but the diagnosis from him is contradictory to the MRI report. I am not sure whether he has actually seen my MRI or he just took a glance and made false assumptions about my condition. He didn't provide any advice and wasted three weeks of my time while he was in vacation. I am very disappointed about him and I am going to a different doctor right away.
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't explain conditions well
Mar 04, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Shapiro, MD?
Dr.Shapiro was very professional when I came in with a broken colarbone. I appreciated his honesty and giving me options. I appreciate Drs who don't push having surgery but explains what happens if I don't. I chose not to though as he said I would have a bump I healed fine. He did say if I changed my mind if I have pain he can still do surgery. I would recommend him.
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
June B Shapiro – Feb 01, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Shapiro, MD?
A reverse shoulder joint surgery , went perfectly . Excellent care from the beginning . Couldn’t have asked for better care !
John T. O’NEAL – Jan 27, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Shapiro, MD?
I had a fractured shoulder and was referred to Dr. Shapiro.. He reassured me that I was unlikely to need surgery and monitored it during the healing process. Very satisfied with the experience
Jan 27, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Shapiro, MD?
I had a fractured elbow, along with a gout attack in the arm from a injury, Dr. Joel Shaprio drained the elbow of fluid, gave me a cortisone shot in the elbow. Took a fluid sample from the area for a lab test. His office called a few hours latter to confirm the lab test, that. it was in fact a gout attack also. He was very professional, caring, I would highly recommend him. WL
Nov 13, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Shapiro, MD?
Dr. Shapiro knows his stuff. Knowledgeable, reassuring and clearly explained everything. Felt confident with his care at all times.
Deb A – Sep 11, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Shapiro, MD?
Dr Shapiro is a terrific Health Care Provider. I have gone to him twice for shoulder injuries. He thoroughly explained my condition and my treatment options. We ended up not going with surgery. I would send my family to him
Mthomas – Aug 01, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Shapiro, MD?
I broke my fibula in December 2019 and the Emergency Dept at Swedish Ballard referred me to Dr. Shapiro for follow-up. I didn't require surgery so my follow-up visits included x-rays, assessment of healing, and advice on keeping the healing on track. Dr. Shapiro is patient, knowledgeable, professional, and approachable. The staff at both the Ballard and the Wallingford sites of OSS are courteous, efficient, and friendly. I had a few between-visit questions (such as questions about precautions to take when flying), and these were answered promptly using the NextMD portal.
Jun 16, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Shapiro, MD?
Dr. Shapiro performed rotator cuff and bicep repair surgery for me in early March 2020. It is now three months out, and I am doing extremely well with excellent range of motion. Dr. Shapiro explained the shoulder problem so that I could understand it. The surgical process went smoothly, and all of the staff were very kind. Dr. Shapiro is a great surgeon, and I would recommend him for any shoulder issues. In addition, the parking is easy. Good luck everyone.
Kathy Scott – Jun 08, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Shapiro, MD?
Repair of right shoulder following a dislocation
Stuart L Deal – May 17, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Shapiro, MD?
I broke my collarbone skiing. The ER doc (in Japan) did not think I needed surgery, so I was not thrilled when I went to Dr. Shapiro for a second opinion and he disagreed. He explained that I could choose not to have surgery but he was concerned because the bone was twisted and even if the bones fused properly it would cause me shoulder problems for the rest of my life. I can't stress enough that he was not pushy at all. He made it clear that I could make the choice either way and he would support it. Other reviewers have commented negatively about his bedside manner. I couldn't disagree more. He patiently answered every question I asked, and gave me a lot of helpful information even when I didn't ask for it. His incision, which was seated just behind the most pronounced part of the bone, and his stitches, which were folded under (leaving no vertical suture scars, have minimized my scarring. I hope I never need Dr. Shapiro's services again. But if I do I'll gladly accept them.
Chris Rudy – May 08, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Shapiro, MD?
Dr. Shapiro changed my life!
G Rockowitz – Feb 27, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Shapiro, MD?
I had a full reverse shoulder replacement 6 months ago and am extremely satisfied with the results. Great Doc!
Brian P. – Feb 05, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Shapiro, MD?
Dr Shapiro fixed my distal bicep tear. From the start he was informative and friendly. He walked through how tears happen and the mechanics of how the tendons and muscles work to give a better understanding of my injury. Surgery went off perfectly and he was always available for questions. His follow up care was thorough. I would highly recommend!
Nov 03, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Shapiro, MD?
Dr. Shapiro repaired a torn tendon in my right shoulder in Summer 2018. He was excellent every step of the way in informing me of my options in an honest and straightforward way. He gave me realistic expectations about long term function and recovery time, which made recovery feel even easier when it went much faster than anticipated. The surgery went smoothly and the whole team were caring and attentive. Loved them.
Melanie S. – Oct 25, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Shapiro, MD?
Dr. Shapiro has taken excellent care of me through no less than 5 surgeries. My total shoulder replacement is excellent and has provided me with a much greater quality of life. His professionalism and personal approach to each of my situations has always been exemplary. Dr. Shapiro's office staff and medical crew have always been courteous, personal, competent and expedient. I have always felt properly ushered through the steps needed to get proper care in several personally difficult times, and I heartily would recommend Joel and his staff and facilities to anyone seeking such care. High levels of confidence in Dr. Shapiro's skills and professionalism, as well as his personal approach, have helped me feel at ease with his recommendations and my subsequent options, My personal results, from surgery performed by Dr. Shapiro, are nothing short of life changing for the greatly better. Pain in my life from chronic arthritic damage and accidental injury has been vastly mitigated.
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
James W Brown – Oct 24, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Shapiro, MD?
I tore my rotator cuff and bicep in an auto accident. Had heard horror stories about the surgery and post op. PT. Three months post off, I am feeling better than I have felt in years! Dr. Shapiro was great at explaining all the options, and his aftercare was amazing!
Richard Brown in Seattle, WA – Sep 29, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Shapiro, MD?
i had rotator cuff surgery performed by Dr. Shapiro. he was very informative and thoroughly explained the process and assured me if i had any complications in the future to contact him.. scott (PT) was also very good. he was very knowledgeable and explained what each routine does and kept me on track for recovery. he continually reminded me to go slow (i was impatient and wanted to get back to my normal routine quickly). the office staff were friendly and efficient too. the handouts were also very informative and thoroughly explained the process. i would recommend OSS to others.
May 30, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Shapiro, MD?
I had shoulder surgery and Dr Shapiro did an amazing job! He was always empathetic and never made me feel like he was rushed for time. I saw another orthopedic doc for over a year and he never figured out what was wrong with me...but Dr Shapiro wasted no time in diagnosing my problem. I highly recommend Dr Shapiro!
May 15, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Shapiro, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Shapiro?

McGaw Med Center Of Northwestern