Dr. Joel Portnoy, MD

Dr. Joel Portnoy, MD

Ear, Nose, and Throat  |
Dr. Joel Portnoy, MD is an ear, nose, and throat doctor who practices in New Hyde Park, NY. He is 36 years old and has been practicing for 11 years. Dr. Portnoy is affiliated with Long Island Jewish Medical Center and North Shore University Hospital.

3003 New Hyde Park Rd Ste 409

• Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield
  • Fidelis Care
  • HealthCare Partners

Learn about Dr. Portnoy

See how frequently Dr. Portnoy performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Hoarse Voice (Dysphonia)
Vocal Cord Polyp
Larynx Conditions

Dr. Portnoy's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

• Ear, Nose, and Throat

• Ear Disorders
  • Earwax Buildup
  • Enlarged Turbinates
  • Eustachian Tube Dysfunction
  • Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
  • Head and Neck Cancer
  • Head or Neck Lump or Swelling
  • Hoarse Voice (Dysphonia)
  • Impacted Shoulders
  • Sjögren's Syndrome
  • Sleep Disorders
  • Swallowing Disorders
  • Swimmer's Ear
  • Throat Cancer (Hypopharyngeal)
  • Throat Cancer (Oropharyngeal)
  • Throat Pain
  • Vocal Cord Paralysis
  • Vocal Cord Polyp
  • Voice Disorders

• Ablation or Excision of Nasal Turbinates
  • Antrostomy and Antrotomy (Sinus Surgery)
  • Balloon Sinuplasty
  • Diagnostic Nasal and-or Sinus Endoscopy
  • ENT Surgery
  • Ear Surgery
  • Ear Tube Placement
  • Endoscopic Sinus Surgery
  • Ethmoidectomy (Sinus Surgery)
  • Excision of Tracheal Tumor or Stenosis
  • Laryngoscopy
  • Laryngoscopy and Laryngotomy
  • Microlaryngeal Surgery
  • Microlaryngoscopy
  • Nasal Septum Surgery (Septoplasty)
  • Sinus Surgery
  • Sphenoidotomy (Sinus Surgery)
  • Tonsillectomy
  • Tracheal Surgery

No malpractice history found for New York.

• SUNY Binghamton
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 2002
  • SUNY Upstate Medical University
    Medical School | Graduated 2006
  • SUNY Upstate Medical University
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2011
  • Dr. Robert T. Sataloff-Drexel University College Of Medicine
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2012

Dr. Portnoy does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Portnoy and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Portnoy's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Portnoy to family and friends
Dr. Portnoy's Performance
Dr. Portnoy was patient and kind. Took time to explain everything and addressed all my questions. I had two needles and biopsy punch in my tongue and I hardly felt it. Recommend him highly.
in Washington, D.C. |
I give my highest recommendation to Dr. Portnoy. I had a vocal polyp on my vocal cord that completely limited my voice. It was not only embarrassing to have no voice, but it started to affect my ability to talk at work. I traveled from Washington D.C. to have Dr. Portnoy perform surgery to remove the polyp since he was so highly recommended from my previous ENT. The surgery went smoothly and I could start talking after a month of voice rehabilitation. It’s been 6 months now, and my voice sounds
in Freeport, NY |
The only way I would change doctors is if I left the state of New York, and even that would be a hard decision to make. Go and see for yourself!
Garden City, NY |
Dr. Portnoy is by the far the best doctor! He is so kind, patient, and understanding. He is very knowledgable in his field. He spends time explaining procedures, treatment, and answering any questions. He always returns all calls. It is evident that he genuinely cares about his patients. I would highly recommend him!
Farmingdale, NY |
If there was a way to add stars I would! I'm a professional singer and teacher so I rely on my voice tremendously. After months of severe hoarseness and diplophonia I sought vocal therapy. My therapist recommended Dr. Portnoy for stroboscopy testing to see what was going on. It is a very uncomfortable test as you need to sing with a camera on your throat. Dr. Portnoy was BEYOND patient and an expert at administering this test. He is knowledgeable and has the bedside manner to match.
Woodhaven, NY |
Great doctor, understood the issues I presented and demonstrated professionalism and expertise. Seemed genuinely nice and knowledgeable in his field. Would recommend.
Nesconset, NY |
Dr. Portnoy was very thorough with his examination. My daughter was getting her vocal cords checked, and the procedure entails a camera up her nose down her throat. Dr. Portnoy explained the procedure to us with excellent bedside manor. My daughter and myself felt more relaxed. The procedure went as described. The office staff is excellent. This is the fist practice that Ive ever been to that ran like a well oiled piece of machinery! I highly recommend!
Jericho, NY |
Great doctor with excellent bed side manner. I use him and we'll as my 5 year old son
in New York, NY |
Great experience with doctor portnoy. Very helpful.
Hicksville, NY |
Dr. Portnoy is thorough, helpful, knowledgeable, and personable! He put me at ease from the start. He also took care of my son on two separate occasions, and he was amazing and helpful! I highly recommend Dr. Portnoy!!!
East Meadow, NY |
Helped me diagnose an issue I've been struggling with for some time. Super thorough and caring. Never feel rushed during an appointment. He always takes the time to hear concerns and discuss. Feels like a true partner in my health. Of all the doctors I've seen in my life he is by far my favorite.
Brooklyn, NY |
I was extremely nervous andi he made me feel very comfortable and secure with the procedure. I told my husband I would never do it. He was patient, kind, understanding and took the time to listen. He never made me feel rushed. I am a nurse and these days It's hard to find a Dr like him. I highly recommend him especially if you require patience and understanding.
in Elmont, NY |
One of the better experiences I've had with a Doctor! Dr. Portnoy was patient, kind and extremely thorough. He explained every detail unlike many doctors. I left feeling assured that the issue I was dealing with for a long time might finally be on the road to recovery. I highly recommend Doctor Portnoy!
in Jamaica, NY |
Dr. Portnoy was incredibly polite and attentive. He seemed eager to address my concerns and made great suggestions. Additionally, his staff was professional and courteous. The process as a new patient was seamless.
in Little Neck NY |
I took my father for a first time visit to see Dr. Portnoy. The staff was so helpful as was Erica the audiologist who answered all my questions. Upon meeting Dr. Portnoy it seemed as if we had known him for years. He examined my father and made suggestions to improve his condition. He answered all our questions. I highly recommend Dr. Portnoy as it is a rarity today to find a doctor who shows such interest in his patients. No surprise as to why he receives 5 star ratings!!
in Roslyn Heights, NY |
Dr Portnoy was extremely thorough, explained the problem with my ear & the different courses of treatment. He explained the pros & cons of each treatment option. I never felt rushed during our visit. Booking online was a definite plus for me. The office staff was very polite & nice. The medical assistant who I met with first was also great, explained what the dr would be doing & also answered some questions.
in Roslyn |
Dr. Portnoy and the staff at ENT Allergy Associates are friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. I had a painful ear infection and called Saturday morning to schedule an appointment. The receptionist was great and squeezed me in for an early appointment. I was very impressed with Dr. Portnoy's bedside manor. He explained every step of the procedure and frequently checked in with how I was feeling throughout the process. Overall, I had a pleasant experience and am glad I found an ENT doctor!
in New York, NY |
I have nothing but positive things give say about Dr. Portnoy and the Lake Success staff. Joel identified exactly what my problem was and explained what it was with great clarity and what steps are necessary to move forward. He's a doctor who knows his stuff and one I have full confidence in.
in Roslyn, NY |
Excellent doctor, great bedside manner! I called around 8 am and spoke to the answering service, and was told the office had an opening that day. We saw the doctor in a few hours and my 3-yr old daughter didn't have to miss another day of camp! Would greatly recommend!
in Huntington, NY |
Dr. Portnoy examined my 11 month old with such care and patience. She took to him well and was more relaxed than I expected a little baby to behave with instruments being placed inside her ear. He also examined me the same day and really took his time to examine my hoarseness and answer every question with the same care as he gave my daughter. The staff was excellent and friendly. I had a very positive experience and highly recommend seeing Dr. Portnoy if you are looking for excellent care.
in Howard Beach, NY |
Dr. Portnoy treated my daughter with kindness and compassion as he asked and answered questions during her examination. She has been suffering with sinus headaches for quite some time, and was very concerned. Dr. Portnoy explained in detail exactly what he was doing, and why during the exam. His approach to addressing her problem was conservative, yet thorough. There is now a plan in place to help my daughter. The whole experience was pleasant, and I would highly recommend Dr. Portnoy .
in Manhasset N.Y. |
Dr. Portnoy is amazing. I had my first visit with him yesterday. From the second I met him, I felt that he knew me for ten years. He is extremely kind, thorough, patient and very dedicated to his profession. He explained with a bedside manner that is very rare in todays medical field. All my fears and questions were answered in a reassuring comforting manner. His staff is just as professional guiding me through the procedures and making necessary arrangements for my procedure.
I had an incredible experience at Dr. Portnoy's office with everyone from the doctor himself to the nurses and office staff. Dr. Portnoy made my first visit to an ENT very comfortable and informative. He was pleasant and personable throughout the entire appointment and spent ample time with me. I was taken into my scheduled appointment very quickly and did not wait long at all. The office uses an electronic paperwork system that made checking in very efficient and easy. Thank you so much!!!
in New Hyde Park |
Dr. Portnoy is an amazing doctor who exceeds all expectations. I have been his patient for the last several years. I had surgery on my vocal cord and it was successful. I am so grateful to him and his staff for always being professional and accommodating. My daughter is his patient as well and now and I have recommended him to all of my friends and family. He is one of a kind.
in Valley Stream, NY |
Dr. Portnoy took the time to get to know my dad; as a person and as a patient. He made a connection with our family and showed empathy for our situation. He was very informative and made sure we understood the current condition and options for the future.
Jericho, NY |
Dr. Portnoy was an absolute pleasure! Saw me promptly and without delay; his bedside manner was remarkable; he was very thorough without being unnecessarily intrusive; and he is clearly an expert in his field. Doctor visits are never fun, but if you have to see an ENT, Dr. Portnoy is it. I truly felt better (physically and emotionally) after my visit. I can't say enough about this doctor.
in Flushing, NY |
I had been to a few doctors and they all told me I had asthma. I took the asthma pumps and nothing seemed to be working. Then I spoke with Dr. Safire and he mentioned that he thought I might have silent reflux. he then referred me to Dr. Portnoy , this was the best suggestion he could have given me. Dr. Portnoy was very thorough and kind when he was explaining that all my symptoms are normal and it could be because of what I am eating !! Finally a doctor with answers!! He is amazing!!
in Douglaston, NY |
Excellent physician and person. Exemplary in every way.
in New Hyde Park, NY |
Dr. Portnoy is one of the best dr.'s I've ever encountered. He performed tube surgery on my 2 year old and he made us as the parents as well as my daughter feel comfortable at all appts and before, during and after surgery with his wonderful bedside manner. I would highly recommend him to anyone.
in Manhasset, NY |
Dr. Portney was able to immediately identify my problem and explained the surgery procedure thoroughly. I did select him as my surgeon and it was totally successful and I am thrilled with my results. Dr. Portnoy and his staff followed up after my procedure, always having my comfort in mind. His staff is a reflection of his expertise and ethics. I would highly recommend the doctor and his caring staff.
in Queens, NY |
Dr. Portnoy is excellent and so very patient and knowledgeable! He really put me at ease and always answers ALL of my questions! I had surgery with him to remove a vocal fold polyp and I was very nervous but he calmed me and reassured me that all would go well. He was right and is so amazing! Thank you Dr. Portnoy!
in Roslyn, NY |
Dr. Portnoy saw my 5 year old son for an acute ear infection and impacted ear wax. My son was experiencing terrible pain. Dr. Portnoy put my son at ease and made him very comfortable. His advice/diagnosis helped immediately and I am very grateful. I would highly recommend Dr. Portnoy!!!
in Huntington Station, NY |
Dr.Portnoy is the most conscientious doctor I have ever encountered. He made sure I really understood the pros and cons of my options for treatments realistically. Dr.Portnoy made his recommendations for treatment by truly understanding my specific situation and took the time to answer all of my questions so I left feeling confident in following his recommendations. The office staff is extremely kind and helpful which made the overall experience even better.
in Farmingdale, NY |
Easy to fill out forms, electronic pad. As I have terrible handwriting, it was just a matter of clicking. Staff friendly. Dr. Portnoy very nice, good sense of humor.
in Hicksville, NY |
Doctor Portnoy is not only an amazing Doctor but is an exceptional man...he is a knowledgeable, caring, patient and takes the time to answer any and all questions...the medical profession needs more doctors like Joel Portnoy!!!!
in Islip ny |
Recommended to doc from other doc had some serious issue and doc Portnoy was right there with me. He answered questions and lead me in the right path. Great doc all I can say is thanks dr Portnoy for helping me and always being ther!!!
Dr. Portnoy is an incredible doctor. I had a procedure on my throat in his office. He did an amazing job and made me feel very comfortable throughout the visit.
Have you seen Dr. Joel Portnoy, MD?
Are you Dr. Portnoy?

• Elderplan
    Medicare HMO
  • EmblemHealth
    GHI PPO
    Health Insurance Plan of Greater New York (HIP)
  • Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield