Dr. Joel Gelman, MD

Urology •  Male • Age 59

Dr. Gelman

Center for Reconstructive Urology

101 The City Dr S # 29 Orange, CA 92868

Dr. Joel Gelman, MD is a Urology Specialist in Orange, CA and has over 31 years of experience in the medical field. He graduated from Medical College Of Ohio medical school in 1989. He is affiliated with UC Irvine Medical Center. He is accepting new patients. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Gelman to book an appointment.

Compare Providers

Quickly compare more Urology Specialists in your area

See similar Urology Specialists in Orange

• Recent Reviews
    Reviews made in the last 30 days. See reviews
  • Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Hospital Satisfaction

Dr. Gelman accepts

Dr. Gelman accepts the following insurance:

Coventry Health Care
Health Net
WellPoint

No malpractice claims found for California

Check Dr. Gelman's experience treating your condition or procedure

• Urinary Incontinence
  • Uroflowmetry
  • Wound Repair

Help Improve Healthgrades

Does Dr. Joel Gelman, MD...

Offer weekend visits?

Offer evening visits?

Communicate via email?

Offer telehealth services or virtual visits?

Have free onsite parking?

Dr. Gelman's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Gelman

4.4

Dr. Gelman?
I felt it was fate that brought Dr. Gelman into my family's life. Of course, like any other parent, I wanted a doctor with the most experience and the highest success rate to be my son's surgeon. My son had a urethral stricture which happened to be unprecedented. It was longer, extremely narrow, and its location in the urethra would make for an even more difficult surgery. Due to my son's very narrow stricture, he had an uncomfortable burning each time during urination. After surgery and when everything was removed, he was able to urinate free from any burning and with such a powerful stream like never before. Words cannot express how grateful my family is to Dr. Gelman and his team at UC Irvine Douglas Hospital, as well as his excellent assistant/secretary Denise. My son has recovered and is doing well. If you need urethral reconstruction I would feel extremely confident in recommending Dr. Gelman. Get it done right the first time. This has been life-changing for my son.
Jul 18, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Gelman, MD?
I would highly recommend Dr. Gelman for his expertise and experience in urethral reconstruction. I waited over 20 years of my life dealing with this issue until I found the right doctor.
Robert – May 19, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Gelman, MD?
Dr. Gelman is one of the best doctors I have ever had! I had reconstructive surgery back in 90's and have had no problems since then! He has such an excellent way with patients and deserves every bit of praise he gets. I had countless dilations for my structures before having the surgery, as well as an appendix removed. And his staff is just as special as he is! In my opinion, there is no one better.
Steve Leary – May 13, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Gelman, MD?
My story began after having a prostatectomy at Johns Hopkins - supposedly the top hospitals for urology. While the cancer was removed, I had significant problems related to recurring bladder neck contractures. Basically, when they removed the prostate and reconnected the urethra, scar tissue formed that blocked the flow of urine. This happened eight times and my surgeon at Hopkins was at a loss on how to help me. He kept trying the same thing over & over again...expecting different results. I finally decided to find another surgeon That led me to see Dr. Gelman in his clinic. He was thorough, if not brilliant in how to resolve my medical situation. More importantly, he was compassionate & caring & sympathetic to the months of frustrating setbacks I had endured. We scheduled surgery and it was successful on the first try. I have to conclude that he is not just a competent surgeon but a doctor who researches heavily. The office staff was also helpful and most efficient.
Ray Bracy – Jul 11, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Gelman, MD?
Dr. Gelman saw me on June 4, 2019 and was as pleasant and knowledgeable as he possibly could be on my urethra procedure. He was very comforting and did a great job explaining the findings and the outcome. I also received a call from him before my procedure and also after I had a question several hours after the procedure. He is first class and I would recommend him to anyone needing urology help.
Jun 06, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Gelman, MD?
From the very first contact with his receptionist, it felt like money, rather than solving my health problem, was all-important (much talk of out-of-network charges; unknown levels of patient obligation, and so on). I relented and had my consultation, and because I refused the surgical option ($$$) in favor of a longer, less invasive and presumably cheaper process, it's been "crickets". The follow-up never happened. So it's back to the drawing board. I believe my first impression was correct.
Apr 05, 2019
I am at a disadvantage as you do not say the...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Gelman, MD?
I am a practicing physician. Board certified in two fields of medicine. I saw this doctor and he is indifferent,arrogant and a terrible doctor. He was rude and not up to date. He treated people like animals and is a shame to the community of physicians. Please do your homework before you trust him with your life. There are many competent urologists who are awesome. Be kind to yourself and do your homework before you trust anyone caring for your health. This man is simply awful.
Yaran in Irvine , CA – Jan 07, 2019
I have no patient by this name, and there is no...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Gelman, MD?
Dr. Gelman and his team of caring professionals changed my life. I was suffering for years with a urethral stricture. A previous attempt was made a few years ago using a laser by a different doctor. Unfortunately, that repair was only temporary and the stricture returned. After much suffering, I was referred to Dr. Gelman and sent him an email explaining my condition. The following morning I received a phone call from Dr. Gelman who spent a half hour talking to me which started my journey.
Jack N in CA – Jun 14, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Gelman, MD?
After suffering severe urethral injuries, I found myself facing despair and total loss of hope of a normal life. That is when, quite by accident, I found Dr. Joel Gelman. I can say of this man, that he has given me back my life and restored my faith in American medicine. Dr. Gelman is an amazing professional with knowledge and skill far superior to that of any doctor I have previously encountered.
Danny – May 28, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Gelman, MD?
I am very appreciative of Dr. Gelman. He performed two surgeries and corrected a problem I had dealt with for many years. I was extremely nervous before undergoing these procedures, as the work was very delicate in nature (Urethral Stricture.) He never made me feel rushed during any of our appointments, and he patiently answered all our questions. The surgeries went remarkably well, and the follow-up care was outstanding. I have never experienced a physician that is so dedicated.
Mike in Rancho Mission Viejo, CA – May 18, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Gelman, MD?
We are thankful to have been referred to Dr. Gelman. He has wonderful bedside manners and was very clear in his explanations, making sure that we were comfortable with our understanding of what was going on before we left. Further, his office administrator, Denise, is a godsend. She extremely helpful and she really made the process of preparing my dad for surgery and of recovering from surgery significantly less stressful. My dad is happy and healthy because of their help.
Long Beach, CA – Aug 17, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Gelman, MD?
Having gone through so many urologists, I can say without a doubt that Dr. Gelman is the best urologist anyone will ever be able to find along with Denise and all the staff. Truly fortunate to have found him and have had him as my doctor. I have already made many recommendations and will continue to do so.
Corona, CA – Jun 30, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Gelman, MD?
My son had 4 prior surgeries to correct a bulbar stricture and Dr Gelman was the one who finally got the job DONE! Do not go anywhere else as unskilled doctors usually make the problem worse by creating more internal scar tissue. They all say they know what they are doing but we found out they don't. We can't say enough about Dr Gelman. He saved my son from a future of self-catheterization, urinary infections and potential fertility problems. Highly recommend!!!
Garrett in CO – Jun 25, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Gelman, MD?
I've suffered with urethral strictures for over 20 years. After a 2016 appointment with a Texas urologist who inadvertently "worsened" my condition, I was in dire need of repair. I needed the "best of the best" and after tons of research, I found Dr. Gelman. I traveled to California for my much needed surgery and it was a complete success. Dr. Gelman and his staff are second to none. I wouldn't consider going anywhere else for such important care. Dr. Gelman changed my life.
James B. in San Angelo, Texas area – Feb 27, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Gelman, MD?
We travelled from the East Coast (MD) to the West Coast (CA) on three separate occasions. First, to meet with Dr. Gelman for a consultation and diagnosis and the second time for the urethral reconstructive surgery. The second trip we lived in “The Ayres Hotel Orange” a little over a month for recovery. The result, a successful surgery. The third and last visit was for the 4 month follow up. Everything was just perfect. It was worth every minute and every dollar spent. We HIGHLY recommend
J. Howse in White Hall, MD – Feb 10, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Gelman, MD?
I am normally very skeptical and skittish about doctors, but Dr. Gelman is unique in the way he communicates and makes you feel comfortable about sensitive medical issues. The experience and surgery was excellent.
Arnold in Irvine, CA – Apr 27, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Gelman, MD?
My son had surgery with Dr. Gelman and dealing with the office regarding surgery costs was ridiculous. I feel mislead by what I was told. In addition, we did not receive one follow up call after my son's surgery asking how he was doing. I feel it's because we opted for the less expensive surgery than what Dr. Gelman was recommending. Fortunately my son is fine but they would never know because they never asked.
Disappointed Patient in Huntington Beach, CA – Mar 22, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Gelman, MD?
I'm so grateful to Dr. Gelman and his staff for the excellent care and treatment I received. I was diagnosed with a urethral stricture by my own urologist and he suggested that I seek treatment from Dr. Gelman. Dr. Gelman did an amazing job and 4 months later I can't believe what a huge difference the surgery has made. Dr. Gelman and his staff helped to change my life for the better and I'm so glad that I was able to go to the best doctor, staff, and facility to have my surgery. He's the best!!
Justin L. in San Bernardino, CA – Feb 02, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Gelman, MD?
What an outstanding Doctor. He was very professional and such a kind man. He was able to fix my urethra and give me back my life.
Flavio Diaz in Van Nuys – Jan 25, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Gelman, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Gelman?

The Center for Reconstructive Urology is a regional, national, and international referral center exclusively dedicated to the treatment of disorders of the male urethra and external genitalia. The majority of the patients treated are referred by their local Urologists. However, patients can be seen without referral.

• Urology

1982
Indiana University / School of Medicine

• Vietnamese

Common Questions and Answers

• Does Dr. Gelman communicate via email?

No users have indicated that Dr. Gelman communicates via email

• Does Dr. Gelman offer telehealth services or virtual visits?

No users have indicated that Dr. Gelman offers telehealth services or virtual visits

• Does Dr. Gelman offer an online patient portal?

No users have indicated that Dr. Gelman offers an online patient portal

• Does Dr. Gelman have free onsite parking?

No users have indicated that Dr. Gelman has free onsite parking

• Does Dr. Gelman offer weekend visits?

No users have indicated that Dr. Gelman offers weekend visits

• Does Dr. Gelman offer evening visits?

No users have indicated that Dr. Gelman offers evening visits