Dr. Joel Chodos, MD

GastroenterologyMaleAge 67

Gastroenterology

Dr. Joel Chodos, MD is a Gastroenterology Specialist in Newark, DE and has over 43 years of experience in the medical field. He graduated from Columbia University College Of Physicians And Surgeons in 1979. He is affiliated with Christiana Hospital. His office accepts new patients.

Dr. Joel Chodos, MD

Digestive Health Center

930 Old Harmony Rd Ste D Newark, DE 19713

(302) 455-1980

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Gastroenterology Specialists in your area

Hospital Highlight

Dr. Chodos is affiliated with Christiana Hospital Newark, a highly rated and top awarded hospital for gastroenterology.

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Practices at Top Hospital
    America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Gastrointestinal Care Award™ See hospitals
  • Trustworthy
    Patients said this doctor is trustworthy. See reviews

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice claims information for Delaware

Check Dr. Chodos' experience treating your condition or procedure

• Esophagitis
  • Gallstones
  • Gas-Bloat Syndrome
  • Gastritis
  • Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
  • Hemorrhoids
  • Vomiting Disorders
  • Wireless pH Testing

Dr. Chodos accepts

(302) 455-1980

Dr. Chodos accepts the following insurance:

Choice POS
Medicaid
Special Needs Plan SNP

Dr. Chodos' Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Chodos

Dr. Chodos literally saved my life. I had an endoscopy and two colonoscopies performed along with every available test/analysis to properly assess my gastric issues. He's extremely professional and detailed oriented. Every visit is followed by a comprehensive letter outlining the visit, potential findings, and next steps. Correspondence is also sent to your GP to keep him/her in the loop. I can't thank Dr. Chodos and his staff enough for the exemplary manner in which my situation was handled. I highly recommend him!!!
Fonati Collins – Jun 20, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Chodos, MD?
I went to Dr Chodos for a regularly scheduled colonoscopy and a complaint of excessive burping. He is very thorough when asking questions to determine the root cause of a problem. Checked for lactose intolerance and was found to be borderline.
Andrew Rhodes – Apr 17, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Chodos, MD?
I've been a patient for 20 years. Due to a genetic condition I've had numerous colonoscopies to remove polyps. I've found Dr. Chodos to be extremely thorough and careful. He made referrals for genetic testing @ Helen Graham Center and specialized treatment at U of P when he thought it advisable. It's a wise man who is willing to get help when he thinks it's needed. I have high confidence in his care.
Douglas Cox – Jan 24, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Chodos, MD?
I've been cared by Dr. Chodos for about 10 years. I wish all my doctors are like Dr. Chodos. He is extremely meticulous in gathering information about your conditions. He repeatedly ensures that you understand all the options available to you for your care. His comprehensiveness can come across sometimes as being excessively intrusive but bear with him and know that the information will be applied towards better care for you. Also, he is the only doctor I've come across who will send you a detailed, written report after every visit. All this cost him a lot more time than all other doctors care to invest in their patients. He is unique and he cares.
Dan C. – Jan 07, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Chodos, MD?
The office staff is efficient and courteous. Dr. Chodos is very through. Is willing to answer ANY questions and always is sure to ask if you have any so you don't leave the office without answers. During prep for colonoscopies he checks in to be sure everything is going as needed. He follows up after procedures to check on your status. I would highly recommend Dr. Joel Chodos.
Rita D Hlavac – Dec 18, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Chodos, MD?
Dr. Chodos has been my doctor for 27 years. He always takes time to explain things fully. I started seeing him in Dover, DE and when he moved up to Newark, DE I continued to see him as my Gastroenterologist.
J Kruser – Dec 17, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Chodos, MD?
A warm and satisfying experience from start to finish. DR. JOEL CHODUS, a Board Certified Gastroenterologist, always takes time to listen and discuss treatment. His curious and investigative mind gives him the ability to connect with his patients, letting you know where you stand and what is to follow. He always inquires if you have any questions or concerns and then listens intently. One never feels rushed! Dr. Chodus is totally thorough and gives detailed explanations and care, more than I've ever experienced before. He exhibits true commitment to solve a problem or concern. I recommend Dr. Joel Chodus without any reservation whatsoever!
Oct 20, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Chodos, MD?
Dr. Chodos was very understanding of my situation and made me feel very comfortable throughout my visits. He gave me very thorough descriptions of what went along with my current health issues and eased me through them by asking me about what else was going on in my life. It is very important to have a GI doctor that you can relate to, and Dr. Chodos is the right person for that.
Aug 19, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Chodos, MD?
I was referred to Dr. Chodos by my primary care physician to diagnose and treat an abnormality in one of my blood test results. Dr. Chodos is a very thorough practitioner reviewing not just my physiology but also my family history in order to understand the cause of the abnormality and the best path forward for treatment. I was very satisfied with his professionalism, thoroughness, and curiosity which led to a positive outcome.
Aug 05, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Chodos, MD?
Dr. Chodos takes copious notes about a patient and his or her medical and personal background, before he makes a diagnosis and begins treatment. He also listens to your input about your condition and answers your questions. Dr. Chodos is friendly as well as professional. I really like him and his approach to your problem. He is an excellent doctor.
Doris Ross, Ph.D. – Jul 23, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Chodos, MD?
As a patient suffering from IBD (ulcerative colitis), I would recommend Dr. Chodos to any member of my family and friends. Dr. Chodos explains things very well and makes your decisions an active part of your treatment. He goes above and beyond with his care. His bed side manner leaves nothing to be desired. As a patient, I could not ask for a better doctor to handle my case. He calls to check up after medication changes. He checks up frequently after procedures just to see how you are doing. He makes you feel that he is really vested in your care. He literally does everything in his power to make sure that you have the best care available whether it be showing up in an emergency room to explain things to the ER Dr that they aren't aware of or contacting a specialist of specialists when your treatment appearsto be running low on options. There is nothing that this doctor will not do to make sure that you have the best care available.
Wilken Washburn – Jun 01, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Chodos, MD?
Today was my 2nd appt with Dr Chodos. All I can say is I finally have an amazing doctor. He is kind, knowledgeable, patient, and Thorough. Finally a doctor that cares about my best interest. So if you are in need of a gastroenterologist I highly recommend Dr. Chodos. Thumbs up.
S Knight – Oct 09, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Chodos, MD?
Dr, Chodos is a very thorough, conscientious and caring physician. He asks a lot of questions and takes a lots of note in order to understand his patient. He called me the night before a procedure and checked on me twice right after I came home over the week-ends to make sure I was doing alright. He also called me to explained a test result in detail as soon as he had it. In my opinion, he is one of the best Gastroenterology in the New Castle area. I had an opportunity to go with other physicians yet I chose Dr. Chodos because it is very difficult to find a doctor as good as and as much caring for the patients as he is. I highly recommend Dr. Chodos.
Li October 03, 2020 – Oct 04, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Chodos, MD?
Patience and very thorough. Great person, very personable, good sense of humor.
Brunson Edwards – Aug 27, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Chodos, MD?
I'm going to start by saying that Dr. Chodos is not going to be a good fit for everyone, but he was the best choice for me. He asks a lot of questions, deep probing questions. Some won't seem relevant. But it's clear that he's trying to understand the big picture of the patient and their well being, physically and mentally. He's also what I'd consider more of an old school doctor-lots of note taking. I went specifically for a colonoscopy. He actually suggested I delay the colonoscopy for a year, something I did on his advice. When I went back, he went into very specific detail about the risks involved in a colonoscopy, despite the fact that those risks are very low. His directions were clear and explicit. He called the night before and checked on me. Colonoscopy went off without a hitch. We had a follow up and he discussed my results, again, in a great level of detail. If you're looking for a laid back doc, that isn't him, but if you want the best practitioner, Dr. Chodos is it.
Aug 01, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Chodos, MD?
Dr. Chodos is very thorough and takes the time before and after to explain all the details. I would recommend him to friends or family members. He uses a very nice and professional location for his procedures. Good doctor and a nice person.
Thomas w Webber – Jul 28, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Chodos, MD?
Dr, Chodos a very personal and caring physician. He spends amply time to understand your condition. He personally checks in with you to make sure you are doing alright and if you have any questions before and after a procedure.
Viva Wolhar – Jul 04, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Chodos, MD?
Dr. Chodos is extremely thorough. He listens to his patients and he explains in detail tests, options and outcomes. I have never had a doctor give me the follow-up and care that Dr. Chodos provided. He confers with his colleagues and leaves no stone unturned when it comes to giving and providing his patients answers and treatment options. He is a top doctor and I highly recommend him. Further, his staff is very friendly and accommodating.
Victoria – Jun 10, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Chodos, MD?
This is the second routine procedure performed in the past seven years. I found Dr. Chodo's staff very professional and well informed and very helpful. Dr. Chodo was very thorough making sure I understood the procedure and my medical records and my health status. My procedure went very well and all appointments were handled on time.
Madison Mason Jr – Jun 05, 2020
Very thorough and conscientious. Highly recommend Dr. Chodos
Mar 04, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joel Chodos, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Chodos?