Gastroenterology  |
Dr. Joel Chodos, MD
Dr. Joel Chodos, MD is a gastroenterology doctor who practices in Newark, DE. He is 62 years old and has been practicing for 38 years. Dr. Chodos is affiliated with Christiana Care Health System - Christiana Hospital.

930 Old Harmony Rd Ste D

Newark, DE 19713

(302) 455-1980

• Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield
  • Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey

Learn about Dr. Chodos

Careful history and physical before tests ordered. Individualized care.

Dr. Chodos' Experience

Dr. Chodos' experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Gastroenterology

• Esophageal Cancer
  • Esophageal Diseases
  • Esophagitis
  • Gas-Bloat Syndrome
  • Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
  • Hernia
  • Vomiting Disorders

• Anoscopy
  • Colonoscopy, Proctosigmoidoscopy, and Sigmoidoscopy
  • Endoscopy
  • Endoscopy (Esophagus, Stomach, Small Intestine)
  • Infrared Coagulation (IRC) Hemorrhoid Removal

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Delaware.

• Columbia University / College Of Physicians and Surgeons
  • Montefiore Med Center
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1984

• Top Doc list Delaware Today, 1995, 2000
  • Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Med Soc, 1979

Dr. Chodos has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Chodos does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Chodos and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Chodos' Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Chodos to family and friends
Dr. Chodos' Performance
in Newark, DE |
Dr. Chodos is an excellent doctor. I was his patient about 10 years back and due to the change in my insurance I had to go elsewhere for sometime. But when I had changed my insurance again and started having issues with my stomach, I went back to Dr. Chodos. He is so good in explaining things to you on the cause and possible relief alternatives. In these days when most doctors look at the door for their next patient, Dr. Chodos is an angel! I definitely recommend him.
in Newark, DE |
Doctor was so caring and helpful in explaining my health situation with simple examples to make me feel better. He himself called and inquired my health before and after endoscopy. I m happy that we finally found a best doctor. :)
in Wilmington, DE |
If you are looking for a compassionate, attentive, thorough doctor, look no further. I met Dr. Chodos a few months ago and have seen him twice. He gave me more genuine time than any other gi dr that I'd seen, and was genuinely interested in all of my symptoms, past and present. I felt like I was in the office of a great problem solver. He helped me manage my gi symptoms with a new medicine, and assured me that he will continue to offer guidance and support. Make your appointment, trust me!
in Newark, DE |
Dr Chodos was very efficient in finding out my problem.I was seen very quickly and after thorough examination and testing he diagnosed my issues in a few days.I had been seeing my primary care for a long time with no results.His staff was very pleasant and helpful with getting my records and with my insurance.I am so glad I called his office.
in Wilmington, DE |
Dr. Chodos is an amazing doctor. He was very thorough, seemed to genuinely care about my health concerns, and he spent time with me to answer all of my questions and explain things in layman's terms. I did not feel like was being rushed and I felt comfortable speaking with him. His office staff is very friendly as well.
in North East, MD. |
Doctor Chodos is a very aggressive and tenacious. When I went I had been nauseated for about month and was not a pleasant patient . Dr. Chodos was not put off by my rotten disposition and was determined to find the cause for my symptoms he worked very hard to schedule appointments as soon as possible and followed up with the labs to get the results sometimes with me sitting in his office on speakerphone so I was .able to hear the same thing he was hearing. I would highly recomend him to anyone
in Landenberg, PA |
Having relocated to many parts of the US I have experienced many medical practices. Dr Chodos is one of the best physicians I have had the pleasure to meet. He is a caring and thorough physician. He is very detailed and spends the necessary time to probe for all information including past medical records.
Wilmington, DE |
Dr. Chodos is extremely thorough. He is very generous in two very important areas. One, he spends time with the patient. He describes procedures, results, and conditions in great detail. He always asks if there are questions, or if there is anything he said that is unclear. Two, he gives a thorough exam at each office visit - giving freely of his expertise. He often makes suggestions about healthful personal efforts that the patient can make and/or forwards his findings to the PCP.
Wilmington, DE |
Likelihood of recommending this doctor....ZERO!
in Newark, DE |
Dr. Joel Chodos is very knowledgeable and an excellent Doctor. He has spent lot of times to do the analysis on my old medical reports. My H. Pylori and bloating issues were resolved within very short time. I think the most significant point which makes him unique/special is "after each visit, he shares a complete report in a letter format which is amazing." I have never seen this before. I highly recommend him. If you believe in quality then of course, Dr. Chodos is your first choice.
in Landenberg, PA |
Dr. Chodos is adamant about getting a complete medical history. This is good, as you know he is evaluating every possible aspect of your condition and taking into account issues that many doctors would overlook. I pride myself on entering a doctor's office armed with loads of details about my problem and I usually leave disappointed because rarely will a doctor take the time to listen. It is intense (felt a bit like I was in court), but it is worth it as you know you are get good medical care
Thanks for your valuable comments&sharing your perspective. Actually the answer to what the diagnosis is,in most cases,comes 85percent from the history so it is impt for me to get it right.It does take time which is why others take shortcuts I try to avoid.Intensity depends on how complex the problems are. I will try to dial it down moving forward. Future visits are generally more relaxed as the foundation of what is needed info wise has mostly been gotten at the 1st visit &the road is clearer.
hockessin, de |
Very attentive to patient's needs and concerns
in Newark, DE |
Dr Chodos is one of the greatest doctors of all times. I like his style (old school) he cares about your health. He is dedicated to his profession and is excellent at it. My experience with him was great. He is very detailed and through. His main concern is your health and he wants to be sure no rock is unturned . He calls to follow up and to make sure you are alright and have no questions before and after the procedure.
in New Castle |
I would highly recommend Dr. Chodos. He is thorough and very caring. I saw a wonderful and compassionate doctor. The doctor also wrote a kind report about me to my oncologist and my family doctor. You don't see that very often. Dr Chodos thank you so much.
in nottingham |
I could not be any happier with Dr. Chodes...I will always refer new patients to him if needed...for a first timer at 50 years old going in for a screening Dr Chodes made me feel very comfortable with his knowledge.. to be honest I did not know what to expect and Dr Chodes connected all the dots and answered all my questions especially the home phone calls for the status reports from the patient to Doctor and vise versa.... thanks Doc.... V/R William Cooney
Newark, DE |
Dr. Chodos goes above and beyond anything I've seen other docs provde. He's a bit quirky but is incredible caring and detailed. His reports are extensive and his communication is great. I wish all my specialist could be like him. The only recommendation I'd have is that his office could use some updating.
in Oxford, PA |
Dr. Chodos is an extremely thorough physician. I was able to easily set up the appointments that I needed. His office staff are positive and patient. Dr. Chodos sent his initial notes to my PCP as well as my results and follow up notes. He went out of his way to explain each step to me and was very willing to answer questions that I had. I highly recommend Dr. Chodos.
North East, MD |
Dr. Chodos is very thorough and knowledgeable. He began my care w/an extremely thorough analysis of symptoms and history. Journaling helped me to be prepared to respond to his inquiries, which were very direct. He then followed up via phone call to check on my response to treatment. He also went out of his way to ensure timely treatment when I relapsed over a weekend by thinking outside-the-box to coordinate a means to expedite lab work and a Rx. Lastly, he always as a unique story to share!
in Dover, DE |
I went to Dr Chodos based on the recommendation from Health Grades. I couldn't be any happier with his findings. I have suffered with my problem for over 30 years asking many doctors why I had this problem, never to have the issue resolved. Dr Chodos spent a very long time asking many questions and getting as many records from former physicians as possible. He came up with a solution to my problem explaining his theory of what was wrong. Guess what he was correct and his solution worked!
in Newark, Delaware |
Dr. Chodos was very professional and thorough. Straight forward and tells you what you need to do in order to correct the issues. What I really appreciate is Dr. Chodos calling me at home to make sure I did everything correctly in reference to the prep drink for the colonoscopy procedure I was having done. I really appreciate him and his staff. Has an excellent team. Kudos to all of them. I will definitely keep going! Thank you so much!
in Wilmington DE |
Dr. Chodos is an outstanding gastroenterologist. He is professional, explains his plans in detail and always seeks confirmation that there is understanding of what he's saying and explaining. He is professional in the surgical center (colonoscopy) and his pre-procedure and post-procedure follow up is impeccable. His staff is outstanding and it is reasonably easy to get an appointment with him. I would highly recommend Dr. Chodos to anyone who is looking for a gastroenterologist.
in Wilmington, DE |
Dr. Chodos is thorough, and takes time to assess medical history. His extensive experience in gastroenterology is evident from the number of patients he serves, and the favorable results he has been able to achieve. I believed my mother died from a condition that he pointed out was statistically unlikely, so I investigated her medical record to learn that she died of complications from a different disease. Given the genetic aspect to some illnesses, this step was helpful for my treatment.
in Avondale, PA |
Very straightforward, caring, detailed. Follow up is excellent. A bit "overwhelming" in his approach, but not in a negative way, he goes beyond the necessary information and makes sure you understand, he takes all the time and this may cause some back-up in the waiting room.
in Newark, DE |
After my last GI specialist retired, I started researching an appropriate replacement. I narrowed my choice to Dr. Chodos. To be honest, I wasn't prepared for his intensity during my first visit. Recalling exact dates and situations was a little challenging. In Dr. Chodos, you have a very thorough and no nonsense physician. These traits are bolstered by impeccable credentials starting at the prestigious Bronx High School of Science. My advice is to prepare and be a partner in your health.
in Middletown, DE |
Professional, caring and the most thorough doctor that has ever treated me
in Wilmington, DE |
Dr. Chodos is one of the most competent, thorough and compassionate doctors I have ever encountered. His practice of taking copious notes during appointments allows us to review medical information and conversations that occurred years past. This is important to me. After medical procedures he will call personally to assure everything went as planned and that I was feeling well. His staff is friendly and always calls ahead to remind me an appointment date. I highly recommend Dr. Chodos.
in Newark, DE |
The most bizarre office visit I've ever been to. Dr. Chodos was rude and condescending . While he did get a thorough medical history, he made me feel like an idiot. I told him I was constipated and he asked, "What does that mean? Be specific?" He made comments about me being overweight more than once. I'm a women's size 14. He asked questions not related to my issue, like what my husband did for a living and he commented that I drove an expensive car. I was very uncomfortable. I will not be back
I am sorry Ms.Carol was unhappy. I aim to help all patients.Constip means different things to different people.Asking details of constip is designed to find out what the patient is actually experiencing as it relates to them.Wt is mentioned if it is relevant medically. I ask about job,spouse,& children as part of taking a med history to understand a persons life circumstances as their Dr. I would not ask or comment about someones car unless they brought it up & dont recall making such a comment.
in Newark, DE |
I chose Dr. Chodos based on the recommendation that my family Dr. Julio Navarro gave me. He explains everything very well and he gathered all the information about my medical history. Dr. Chodos made the experience of my three last colonoscopieas very confortable. He is an excellent physician, I am very grateful for his care. I strongly recommend Dr. Chodos
in Bear, DE |
Dr. Chodos made the experience of my first colonoscopy as comfortable as possible. He took a very thorough medical history before and after the procedure. When there was a lack of communication between my cardiologist and Dr. Chodos, Dr. Chodos made sure he got the information he needed before proceeding with my colonoscopy. Colonoscopies aren't fun, but my experience with Dr. Chodos made it very tolerable. (An average day in graduate school was worse.) Highest recommendation!
in Wilmington, DE |
Dr. Chodos is an excellent physician and I trust his professional ability, personal accessibility and thoroughness in explaining the results of tests, procedures and diagnoses. He is very attentive and listened to my concerns without making me feel rushed. Dr. Chodos was able to address the root cause of my chronic condition after years of extreme discomfort. I am very grateful for his care!
in Newark, DE |
I chose Dr. Chodos based on his high patients' ratings in different sites and I found him to be more than my expectations. He provided me with personalized (customized) care and didn't take him long to diagnose my health problem and cure it. I strongly recommend him to anybody with digestive health problem.
in Wilmington, DE |
Dr. Chodos was very detailed in gathering facts and providing findings, as we went through the treatment of my complaint. He kept me informed, and offered alternatives at each step. He personally called me after each procedure to check on my condition and demeanor. Just a truly thorough and dedicated and caring individual; always with my best interests at heart. He's one of a kind.
in Newark, DE |
Dr. Chodos is extremely thorough and considerate. He writes down everything you say and will send you a letter regarding what you discussed at your appointment. He is truly listening. He will choose tests that are best for you and be considerate of budget and desires. He is detailed and thoughtful.
Extremely thorough, patient and knowledgable. Dr. Chodos put my mind at ease immediately with good explanations of what exactly was going on. He took an amazing amount of time to talk with me and explain what his recommendations were and why. Would highly recommend.
in Hockessin, DE |
Brutal experience when you call as a potential new patient. You give them personal information (name, address and insurance id number) and a detailed history of your problem to the person who answers the phone. A long extensive interview to see if they want you as a patient. I was called back next day and told by the nurse/receptionist he couldn't help me. No referrals; no explanation for the rejection. Be prepared for this. Of course he's free to treat who he wants but its brutal.
To determine if I'm suitable for case and able to help,my secty takes some history. Ms. Elizabeth had already seen 2 reputable GI physicians & had endoscopy &eval.I didn't feel she would be happier with me than the other physicians, so I declined taking the case.Since this review was received we now tell callers,esp those having seen other GIs, that not all callers are given appts. It depends on if it is a good doctor-patient match.I am sorry that Ms. Elizabeth was unhappy. I value the critique.
in Malvern, PA |
Very satisfied with Dr. Chodos. He is thorough, thoughtful and explains everything very well. Spend the appropriate amount of time ensuring patient understands the diagnosis and options for treatment
Have you seen Dr. Joel Chodos, MD?

Visit Dr. Chodos