Dr. Jesse Affonso, MD

Dr. Affonso
Telehealth services available

Cape Cod Orthopaedics and Sports

130 North St Hyannis, MA 02601

Dr. Jesse Affonso, MD is a Orthopedic Shoulder & Elbow Surgery Specialist in Hyannis, MA. Dr. Affonso has more experience with Shoulder & Upper Arm Surgery than other specialists in his area. He is affiliated with Cape Cod Hospital. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Affonso to book an appointment.

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Orthopedic Shoulder & Elbow Surgery Specialists in your area

Hospital Highlight

Dr. Affonso is affiliated with Cape Cod Hospital Hyannis, a highly rated hospital.

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Offers Telehealth
  • Practices at Top Hospital
    Patient Safety Excellence Award™ See hospitals

No malpractice claims found for Massachusetts

Frequently Treated by Dr. Affonso

Based on treatment records, we have identified the following as areas of care that Dr. Affonso treats more often than their peers. If you are unsure whether Dr. Affonso treats other conditions, please contact the office at (508) 775-8282.

Shoulder & Upper Arm Surgery

Shoulder and upper arm conditions include arthritis, bursitis, rotator cuff injuries, and dislocations, with treatment options such as surgery or physical therapy.Compare with other Shoulder & Upper Arm Surgery specialists.

Dr. Affonso is experienced in the area of Shoulder & Upper Arm Surgery. See the graph below to learn more about his experience.

Based on claims data for 22 conditions and procedures

• Heel Spur
  • Hip Pointer Injuries
  • Humerus Fracture
  • Kyphoplasty, Percutaneous
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Limb Cramp
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Meniscus Surgery
  • Muscular Dystrophy (MD)
  • Osteosarcoma
  • Unicompartmental Hip Surgery
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate
  • Wrist Sprain or Strain

Dr. Affonso accepts

Dr. Affonso accepts the following insurance:

National (BlueCard) PPO
Tufts PPO

Dr. Affonso's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Affonso

Dr. Affonso?
  • Explained conditions well (71)
  • Listened & answered questions (70)
  • Trusted the provider's decisions (70)
  • Appointment was rushed (1)
  • Didn't explain conditions well (1)
  • Didn't listen or answer questions (1)
The shoulder guy on Cape. Replaced my shoulder and worked on several friends. We are all happy with our results. He is punctual.
Mar 27, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jesse Affonso, MD?
Rotator cuff repair. It went very smoothly. Dr Affonso is a gem on Cape Cod. His post operative visits were quick but I always had my questions answered. Look no further!
Happy in Sandwich – Jan 04, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jesse Affonso, MD?
Reverse Total Shoulder. I never had pain post op. It’s been 6 years and I just saw Dr. Affonso out with his kids at the park. I thanked him fir a great job.
Thanks – Nov 18, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jesse Affonso, MD?
Unbelievably happy after getting basically maimed by a so-called Orthopaedic surgeon in Falmouth! My Falmouth doc operated on me and left! No where to be found. He left me with an anchor floating in my shoulder. Basically doctor Affonso reversed my surgery, took out a floating anchor, cleaned out my labrum. Now I’m better. Thanks Dr. Affonso! This guy is great. hilarious and top notch. Buckle up he talks fast!
Happy in Falmouth – Aug 28, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jesse Affonso, MD?
Visited Dr. Affonso for a second opinion regarding rotator cuff repair, and shockingly, he told me that one option was to do nothing - a refreshing thing to hear from a surgeon. After some time, though, I decided to go ahead with the work, and I was very satisfied with the result. I was in and out of the hospital in the allotted time, and recovery is going better than expected. In addition to having an *ahem* surgeon's touch, Dr Affonso is skilled at explaining medical complexities in terms lay people can understand. All in all, highly recommended!
Larry R – Jun 20, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jesse Affonso, MD?
Wonderful Doctor ! Very personable,caring, fills you with confidence along with his PA Donovan Driscoll. I had several complications going into a reverse shoulder replacement. Working with them they reassured me they had my best interests and it was a complete success.After only a few days I was off all pain meds. and in 3wks. I started PT at CC Ortho. Now after 8 wks I'm raking my gardens painfree. I highly recommend Dr. Affonso...
N CHARTRAND – May 18, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jesse Affonso, MD?
I am 67 and have been a carpenter for 45 years. After two failed rotator cuff surgeries, I went to see Dr. Affonso about a reverse shoulder procedure. He did a great job of explaining the procedure and what I could expect from it. Surgery at Cape Cod Hospital went smoothly and Dr. and staff were very professional and caring. I am 10 weeks out and have achieved mobility that far exceeds my expectations.
Mike D – May 14, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jesse Affonso, MD?
Dr. Affonso has, on more than one occasion, saved my life - at least my sports life. Most recently, I saw Dr. Affonso for help with a nagging and debilitating case of tennis elbow that prevented me from playing tennis. He offered me conservative treatments, and I tried them all, but when nothing worked after 6 months, he performed surgery to correct both tennis elbow and golfer's elbow. (Lucky me, I had both even though I don't even play golf.) The surgery was on November 2nd and by the middle of January I was beginning to play tennis again. In February of the following year I was able to play 6 matches in 3 days and help my team win the 65&Over National Championship. Without his skill and care, I never would have had that opportunity. He's a great doctor with a great sense of humor and real compassion for his patients. I will always be grateful for what he has done for me.
Peter Weinman – May 01, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jesse Affonso, MD?
My rotator cuff surgery was a challenge. I had 4 tendons snapped off . Dr Affonso clearly explained the procedure and the recovery time. I was 72 at the time. I was off the pain meds within 2 weeks. After 5 months I am back to my normal routine at the gym and pain free with full range of motion
Apr 23, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jesse Affonso, MD?
Overall pleasant experience. Seemed like a nice guy. I dealt mostly with PA. I had a straightforward problem. Dr. A fixed it. I would recommend.
Apr 21, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jesse Affonso, MD?
Recently saw this doc during Covid quarantine. He diagnosed my biceps tendon tear, scheduled surgery and fixed it. No problems. He was professional, punctual and so far so good.
Apr 17, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jesse Affonso, MD?
Well if you can get through to someone and then beg to be seen - Dr. Affonso is well worth it! Kind, funny, easy going, grEat listener. He promised me no pain and 85% function of my arm after a reverse shoulder replacement and he delivered. Thank you.
Apr 15, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jesse Affonso, MD?
I wish I could have visited. After having my rotator cuff torn, the ER referred me to the ortho doctor on call. I went to his office, he told me I had a full torn rotator cuff and an MRI was going to be ordered. While waiting for the MRI call (still waiting three days after visit), friends highly recommended Dr. Affonso. I called his office to make an appointment. The woman that answered the phone in his office would not allow me to make an appointment. She said I can’t go to another doctor, I said, even for a second opinion? She said no, you have a doctor you have to stay with him. I asked if this is a Cape Cod thing. She didn’t answer. After more discussion she made it clear that I would not be able to get an appointment. I hope the doctor reads this, because I believe this is an ethical issue. Are you required to stay with the “on call” ER specialist just because? Is this an agreement made up by cape cod doctors?
Mar 12, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jesse Affonso, MD?
Finally found an orthopedic doctor that is knowledgeable about my issue and took the first steps today to alleviate the pain. Also, nice to meet a doctor with a personality.
Feb 13, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jesse Affonso, MD?
Dr. Jesse is fantastic. I had a total reverse shoulder replacement and was apprehensive going into it. He set my mind at ease with his explanations and knowledge. His great sense of humor didn't hurt! I had many, probably obvious, questions and he took all the time I needed to answer them. I couldn't believe how basically pain-free the surgery and recovery were. I'm a total believer that if you follow through with all the PT and home exercise you heal in record time!
Barbara Durst in East Dennis, MA – Jan 17, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jesse Affonso, MD?
Dr. Affonso's knowledge of current medical practices and expertise is exemplary. He thoroughly explained the procedure, clearly answered my questions and was always accessible. He did it all with a positive "bedside manner" and often with a sense of humor.
Karen Schrader in Brewster, MA – Jan 10, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jesse Affonso, MD?
Dr. Affonso provided excellent care and advice on my shoulder impingement surgery. He and is qualified staff took the time to listen and address all of my concerns prior to and after the procedure.
Lorna Steinruck in Eastham, MA – Jan 09, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jesse Affonso, MD?
So good with 2018 reconstruction of my right reverse shoulder replacement I'm having the left shoulder done in 2019. From office personnel to hospital staff to physical therapists I heard only highly positive comments. Best of all I learned that moving my arm to a 90% angle from my body would be an acceptable outcome. I can move my arm to a 125% angle. All around great experience.
Pat Perris in Centerville, MA – Jan 09, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jesse Affonso, MD?
I was thrilled to know that there was now a doctor on Cape that performs the relatively unusual surgery of Reverse Total Shoulder Replacement, since I had to go to Boston for my other one eight years previous.. From the start, Dr Affonso was very reassuring and confident that I would have success. He always answered any questions and concerns I had in an unrushed and cordial manner. He is a thorough and careful doctor - very thoughtful and attentive.
Liz in West Yarmouth, MA – Jan 07, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jesse Affonso, MD?
My husband, aged 83, fell & broke his hip on a weekend and needed emergency surgery. He has COPD, cardiomegaly, HBP, degenerative spinal disease, and positional respiratory distress. He was admitted to the CCU pre-surgery & ICU afterward. Dr. Affonso's personality, manner & professionalism were enough to reassure us in what to expect. Post surgery, he was involved fully in rehab & we were totally confident in his care. I would not hesitate to recommend him or return to him for any further care.
Dianne (James) Roderick in Yarmouth Port, MA – Dec 03, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jesse Affonso, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Affonso?

Our mission at Cape Cod Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine, PC is to get you back to your life faster and fitter than before your injury!

Jesse Affonso, MD is an orthopedic surgeon specializing in elbow and shoulder injuries. He received his undergraduate degree in Chemistry from the College...Read more

• Orthopedic Shoulder & Elbow Surgery