Dr. Jerald Garcia, MD

Pain MedicineMaleAge 46

Dr. Garcia

Hawaii Institute of Pain

1401 S Beretania St Ste 400 Honolulu, HI 96814

Dr. Jerald Garcia, MD is a Pain Medicine Specialist in Honolulu, HI and has over 16 years of experience in the medical field. He graduated from University of Mn Med Sch medical school in 2005. He is affiliated with medical facilities such as Kuakini Medical Center and Pali Momi Medical Center. He is accepting new patients. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Garcia to book an appointment.

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Pain Medicine Specialists in your area

• Practices at Top Hospital
    Outstanding Patient Experience Award™ See hospitals
  • Hospital Satisfaction

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice claims information for Hawaii

Check Dr. Garcia's experience treating your condition or procedure

Dr. Garcia treats Osteoarthritis of Spine more than 97% of his peers

Fibromyalgia

Dr. Garcia treats Fibromyalgia more than 97% of his peers

Dr. Garcia treats this condition more than 97% of his peers

Rating Includes other areas of care:

• Deposition Disease-Related Fibromyalgia
  • Epstein Barr Virus-Related Fibromyalgia
  • Major Depressive Disorder-Related Fibromyalgia
  • Primary Fibromyalgia
  • Rheumatoid Arthritis-Related Fibromyalgia
  • Secondary Fibromyalgia
  • Sleep Disturbance-Related Fibromyalgia
  • Tension Myositis-Related Fibromyalgia
Hide other areas of care

Dr. Garcia's conditions and procedures:

• Spinal Cord Stimulation
  • Spinal Nerve Block
  • Upper Back Pain

Dr. Garcia accepts

Dr. Garcia accepts the following insurance:

National (BlueCard) PPO
Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield
HealthKeepers Plus POS
HealthyBlue 2.0
HealthyBlue Advantage
Commercial Insurance Company
Hawaii Medical Service Association (HMSA)
CompMED
Federal Plan 87
HMSA Akamai Advantage (PPO and PPO SNP)
Preferred Provider Plan PPO

2.6

7.792207792207792%
51.94805194805195%

Dr. Garcia
Deserves NEGATIVE 100,000 stars. I'm completely lit up and in excruciating pain from the 'exam', and he tells me that I am, indeed apparently, in some manner of pain. He doesn't even have my imaging, he CLEARLY hasn't read my charts in the MASSIVE intake paperwork I filled out by hand, and he hasn't even explained what treatment options might be available from his office given my off-the-cuff-recollection of what the MRI/XRays showed from 8 months ago... and he scoffs: "Well, we need to start shooting up some steroid injections right away, and [delivers a detailed briefing about what HE does and how HE does it during the operation]." I challenged him stating that he hasn't even apparently received my imaging, reports, or my orthopedic doctor's notes, and he has enough information from my "does it hurt it when I dig my knuckles in your socket?" diagnostics to recommend surgical treatments, to which he replied stone-faced "You will go to the front desk, schedule the appointment. Bye."
Chronic Pain – Jul 28, 2021
This doctors office helped me with my pain issues. The employees are quite professional, friendly and efficient. The doctors are in a league of their own. They know their sh*t and are quite good at what they do. Dr. Garcia and Dr. Young are very skilled surgeons and even other patients I talk to in the waiting room all agree that the doctors are the best in the island. If I could give them a hundred stars, I would!
Kai – Jun 15, 2021
Dr. Garcia and his team seriously helped my 83 year old mom who was in so much pain due to age-related arthritis. He did some injections to her back that brought my mom from screaming literally every night in pain to sleeping well through the night. My mom is too old for surgery and she got too sick with the pain meds that her primary care doctor gave her. I am so glad we were sent to the Hawaii Pain Institute. Dr. Garcia is a miracle worker!
Carlotta – Jun 12, 2021
Very easy to talk to and helped me a lot with my pain issues. Thank you so much Dr.Garcia.
May 20, 2021
Love Hi Pain clinic in Maui with Dr. HENSON and STAFF is AMAZING. They really take the time to listen and treat each problem from head to toe. They are smiles and TLC caring individual that work there. They make me feel comfortable and always talk you through each procedures and have a positive attitudes. Ivy does a wonderful job communicating what needs to be done with the doctor. I wish I can remember every staff name....but truly a team effort A++++. Thank you so much for getting me better especially going through these tough procedures not easy for either one of us. Highly recommend Dr. Henson for trauma in head, neck and back. They really make you feel like no worries we got you cover, thanks Gordon, Ivy and Dr. Henson. Especially thanks to xray tech who I can not remember his name for always having great music during the procedures.
JKM – Mar 19, 2021
Dr. Garcia is excellent at what he does and he has a very endearing demeanor. Strict but compassionate. He has superb technical skills and can literally take your pain away. I went from being in a wheelchair to walking out of his clinic with almost no pain immediately after a procedure. I am very grateful to have him as my chronic pain ally. However, I'm not surprised at the "one star" reviews. I'm a nurse that used to work at a pain clinic. Good pain doctors often fall victim to one star ratings from disgruntled drug seekers who do not get what they want. If you're looking for someone to give you a lifetime supply of opioid prescriptions, then Dr. Garcia is not the right doctor for you. If you actually want to get better and closer to pain free, then Dr. Garcia is it!
Pat P – Feb 17, 2021
Nothing bad I can think of with Dr. Garcia’s office or the APRN’s. The office is very professional, with a lot of emphasis on injury patients and special conditions. I had come to the Dr. because I had a bad doctor situation before. A lot of wrong medications which didn’t solve my issues. Within 3 weeks, after a change of meds and some suggestions to modify my routine, I was able to finally be back to my old self once again. All around very professional! A+
RJ – Dec 18, 2020
Went to Dr Garcia for pain management as my prior dr left his practice leaving us 10 days notice. Dr Garcia seemed okay, but stated I had to get off some of the pain meds I had been on for years. My injuries are very bad, multiple body parts resulting in having to take an early retirement. The 2 meds were Norco and Oxy but also take migraine meds. The first visit he wanted me off my migraine meds and a pain meds. He did not listen when I explained how serious the 30yr hx of migraines were. I said that I would not give up that med, but I would give up the oxy. But he also cut the quantity of Norco. The second visit was not with him, but a nurse practitioner. After reading about all my injuries, she advised me to find someone else as DrGarcia’ goal was to get pts off pain meds period. She had to cut the quantity of Norco again fully apologizing for it. The 3rd visit was with Dr Garcia and we really got into it. He does NOT listen or try to communicate with you. It’s his way or else.
Sep 03, 2019
I've had nothing but good experiences at Hawaii Pain Institute. From the initial consult, procedure and follow up appt. I am pleased with results and the treatment I get there. Wish I went sooner.
Happy Golfer – Aug 02, 2019
Dr Garcia has been treating my husband and me and we are very satisfied. He explains procedures well and is easy to converse with. His staff is very nice too.
Jean McMann in Ewa Beach , HI – Dec 15, 2018
I needed a new pain mgmt dr and I went to see this one. I was trying to find a doctor to help me with my chronic pain from back surgeries, spinal stenosis, fibromyalgia, etc. My prior pain mgmt doctor was no help whatsoever. I basically ran my own care and I'm not a doctor and I don't pretend to be one. When I met with this doctor (and I use the term loosely) all I heard is what he won't do, not what he will do to help me. Are there any pain mgmt drs that care about their patients anymore?
Meowmeow808 in Honolulu, HI – Sep 27, 2018
Unprepared for appointment. Condescending and arrogant. Paid zero attention to what I was trying to communicate. I waited over an hour and a half to discuss an issue that he had not even bothered to research and was then blamed for the outcome. Certainly not a true Physician with poor bedside manner.
kakalina – Jul 15, 2018
I visited his office in Wailuku on Maui 3 times and never saw Dr. Garcia, I was seen by nurses and given no alternative for pain relief except Lyrica, (which has some bad side affects and can be addictive), and a cervical epidural, (which can only be performed very few times per year because it destroys tissue). This is not how you treat someone in chronic pain! They also charged me 3 different fees for office visits, the 3 times I saw them. This Dr is NOT a good choice for pain management!!
Wailuku, HI – Jan 05, 2018
On a scale of one to five, I give Dr. Garcia all fives ?????????? on his incompetence, immaturity, rudeness, poor bedside manner, inflexibility, and narrow mindedness. I have personally never met a worse physician. I am sure he did fine in school, which is how he got his MD, but he is no doctor. Dr. Garcia makes his patients wait hours to see him, and then it's never him they see, but a nurse. When he does come in, he is quick tempered and condescending; Very poor doctor. I am fed up.
Kaneohe, HI – Jun 08, 2017
Dr. Garcia is young and extremely arrogant and condescending toward his patients. He does not allow the patient to be a part of the pain management process. He has no real understanding of the many different kinds of pain and that the same medicine does not work for everything. He's a one size fits all prescriber. Dr. Garcia also has a very bad temper, and he has no trouble losing it with his patients. He's absolutely horrible, but I'm stuck. I hate the man. You can do better!
Kaneohe, HI – Jun 06, 2017
I found the staff helpful, but Dr. Garcia was quite rude and impatient. It seemed like he blamed me for the fact that his prescribed treatment failed. He is physically rough when performing exams so I left appointments in more pain than when I arrived. The wait times are horrible (45 m-1.5 hrs), especially considering he spends most of the appointment reading from the computer. He responds as if he is offended if you ask questions about your treatment or mention opinions from your other doctors.
Honolulu, HI – May 08, 2017
I don't like the way they schedule Appointments ,don't like the way staff in front desk answer questions and taking phone calls,the waiting time always is between 45min and an hr after your appt time.If you call to ask a question staff never know very desapointed on how they work.
Wahiawa, HI – Mar 18, 2017
I felt they did not listen and had problems with them calling back and also getting authorizations from our insurance company.
Bowie, MD – Feb 02, 2017
Unfortunately, the wait time can be frustrating, but that's an indicative of how he's in demand by many seeking sick Patients like me. One should expect a delay from their appt. when seeing Dr. Jerald Garcia, that's just how it is. I've been seeing him as a regular Patient before and after my Spine Surgery, taking care of my Pain Meds and continued toward recovery. I also want to thank him for recommending me to Dr. John Graham who did the surgery, *I'm grateful to both and highly recommended!*
Jo in Kapolei, HI – Dec 23, 2016
This man is an IDIOT.....waited 2 weeks for an appointment,then after an consultant and look at my x-rays,gave me an appointment to come back in another 2 weeks
Linda in Honolulu, HI – Nov 28, 2016

How was your experience with Dr. Garcia?

Our philosophy at HiPain is to treat your pain using a multi-disciplinary approach, combining state-of-the-art techniques with good, old- fashioned individualized...Read more

2010