Dr. Jerald Garcia, MD

Pain Medicine •  Male • Age 45

Dr. Garcia

Hawaii Institute of Pain

1525 Kalakaua Ave Honolulu, HI 96826

Dr. Jerald Garcia, MD is a Pain Medicine Specialist in Honolulu, HI and has over 15 years of experience in the medical field. Dr. Garcia has more experience with Spine than other specialists in his area. He graduated from University of Mn Med Sch medical school in 2005. He is affiliated with medical facilities such as Kuakini Medical Center and Pali Momi Medical Center. He is accepting new patients. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Garcia to book an appointment.

Compare Providers

Quickly compare more Pain Medicine Specialists in your area

See similar Pain Medicine Specialists in Honolulu

• Hospital Satisfaction
  • Practices at Top Hospital
    Outstanding Patient Experience Award™ See hospitals

Dr. Garcia accepts

Dr. Garcia accepts the following insurance:

National (BlueCard) PPO
Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield
HealthKeepers Plus POS
HealthyBlue 2.0
HealthyBlue Advantage
Commercial Insurance Company
Hawaii Medical Service Association (HMSA)
CompMED
Federal Plan 87
HMSA Akamai Advantage (PPO and PPO SNP)
Preferred Provider Plan PPO
Tricare
TriCare for Life
Triwest
TriCare/TriWest
Worker's Compensation
Worker's Compensation WC

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice claims information for Hawaii

Spine

Spine specialists diagnose and treat conditions affecting the bones of the spine, including degenerative spine disease, herniated discs, stenosis, and fractured vertebrae, with treatments including medication, physical therapy, and surgery.Compare with other Spine specialists.

Typically treats 63% more than their peers

Based on claims data for 10 conditions and procedures

TreatmentsTreatment Frequency
Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement)

Dr. Garcia treats Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement) more than 95% of their peers

Osteoarthritis of Spine

• Spondylosis
  • Trigeminal Neuralgia
  • Upper Back Pain

Help Improve Healthgrades

Does Dr. Jerald Garcia, MD...

Offer weekend visits?

Offer evening visits?

Communicate via email?

Have free onsite parking?

Offer an online patient portal?

Dr. Garcia's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Garcia

2.5

Dr. Garcia?
Went to Dr Garcia for pain management as my prior dr left his practice leaving us 10 days notice. Dr Garcia seemed okay, but stated I had to get off some of the pain meds I had been on for years. My injuries are very bad, multiple body parts resulting in having to take an early retirement. The 2 meds were Norco and Oxy but also take migraine meds. The first visit he wanted me off my migraine meds and a pain meds. He did not listen when I explained how serious the 30yr hx of migraines were. I said that I would not give up that med, but I would give up the oxy. But he also cut the quantity of Norco. The second visit was not with him, but a nurse practitioner. After reading about all my injuries, she advised me to find someone else as DrGarcia’ goal was to get pts off pain meds period. She had to cut the quantity of Norco again fully apologizing for it. The 3rd visit was with Dr Garcia and we really got into it. He does NOT listen or try to communicate with you. It’s his way or else.
Sep 03, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jerald Garcia, MD?
I've had nothing but good experiences at Hawaii Pain Institute. From the initial consult, procedure and follow up appt. I am pleased with results and the treatment I get there. Wish I went sooner.
Happy Golfer – Aug 02, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jerald Garcia, MD?
Dr Garcia has been treating my husband and me and we are very satisfied. He explains procedures well and is easy to converse with. His staff is very nice too.
Jean McMann in Ewa Beach , HI – Dec 15, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jerald Garcia, MD?
I needed a new pain mgmt dr and I went to see this one. I was trying to find a doctor to help me with my chronic pain from back surgeries, spinal stenosis, fibromyalgia, etc. My prior pain mgmt doctor was no help whatsoever. I basically ran my own care and I'm not a doctor and I don't pretend to be one. When I met with this doctor (and I use the term loosely) all I heard is what he won't do, not what he will do to help me. Are there any pain mgmt drs that care about their patients anymore?
Meowmeow808 in Honolulu, HI – Sep 27, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jerald Garcia, MD?
Unprepared for appointment. Condescending and arrogant. Paid zero attention to what I was trying to communicate. I waited over an hour and a half to discuss an issue that he had not even bothered to research and was then blamed for the outcome. Certainly not a true Physician with poor bedside manner.
kakalina – Jul 15, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jerald Garcia, MD?
I visited his office in Wailuku on Maui 3 times and never saw Dr. Garcia, I was seen by nurses and given no alternative for pain relief except Lyrica, (which has some bad side affects and can be addictive), and a cervical epidural, (which can only be performed very few times per year because it destroys tissue). This is not how you treat someone in chronic pain! They also charged me 3 different fees for office visits, the 3 times I saw them. This Dr is NOT a good choice for pain management!!
Wailuku, HI – Jan 05, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jerald Garcia, MD?
On a scale of one to five, I give Dr. Garcia all fives ?????????? on his incompetence, immaturity, rudeness, poor bedside manner, inflexibility, and narrow mindedness. I have personally never met a worse physician. I am sure he did fine in school, which is how he got his MD, but he is no doctor. Dr. Garcia makes his patients wait hours to see him, and then it's never him they see, but a nurse. When he does come in, he is quick tempered and condescending; Very poor doctor. I am fed up.
Kaneohe, HI – Jun 08, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jerald Garcia, MD?
Dr. Garcia is young and extremely arrogant and condescending toward his patients. He does not allow the patient to be a part of the pain management process. He has no real understanding of the many different kinds of pain and that the same medicine does not work for everything. He's a one size fits all prescriber. Dr. Garcia also has a very bad temper, and he has no trouble losing it with his patients. He's absolutely horrible, but I'm stuck. I hate the man. You can do better!
Kaneohe, HI – Jun 06, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jerald Garcia, MD?
I found the staff helpful, but Dr. Garcia was quite rude and impatient. It seemed like he blamed me for the fact that his prescribed treatment failed. He is physically rough when performing exams so I left appointments in more pain than when I arrived. The wait times are horrible (45 m-1.5 hrs), especially considering he spends most of the appointment reading from the computer. He responds as if he is offended if you ask questions about your treatment or mention opinions from your other doctors.
Honolulu, HI – May 08, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jerald Garcia, MD?
I don't like the way they schedule Appointments ,don't like the way staff in front desk answer questions and taking phone calls,the waiting time always is between 45min and an hr after your appt time.If you call to ask a question staff never know very desapointed on how they work.
Wahiawa, HI – Mar 18, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jerald Garcia, MD?
I felt they did not listen and had problems with them calling back and also getting authorizations from our insurance company.
Bowie, MD – Feb 02, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jerald Garcia, MD?
Unfortunately, the wait time can be frustrating, but that's an indicative of how he's in demand by many seeking sick Patients like me. One should expect a delay from their appt. when seeing Dr. Jerald Garcia, that's just how it is. I've been seeing him as a regular Patient before and after my Spine Surgery, taking care of my Pain Meds and continued toward recovery. I also want to thank him for recommending me to Dr. John Graham who did the surgery, *I'm grateful to both and highly recommended!*
Jo in Kapolei, HI – Dec 23, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jerald Garcia, MD?
This man is an IDIOT.....waited 2 weeks for an appointment,then after an consultant and look at my x-rays,gave me an appointment to come back in another 2 weeks
Linda in Honolulu, HI – Nov 28, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jerald Garcia, MD?
Requested the first appointment of the day and still waited over an hour past my appointment time. I was told doctor was delayed at hospital with an emergency. When I finally saw Dr. Garcia I recognized him as the person who walked into the clinic just after me...so his staff lied to me. His staff is horrible and do not return calls. Over a month after my appointment and I still do not have meds he perscribed me and haven't been able to get the referral to physical therapy he gave me.
Parkerflyhi in Kapolei, HI – Sep 30, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jerald Garcia, MD?
I was told that the pain blocker injection would stop the pain. The first time wasn't bad,but it did nothing for my pain except give me more discomfort at the sight of the injections. The second time ,same thing, so i figure try one more time ,the worst thing I could have done not only did it hurt like he'll , i ended up in the ER the next day. With no feeling in my leg . I just remember screaming at the top of my lungs with one shot, witch is the one he missed and hit a nerve. NEVER AGAIN,DONE
Scott davis in Honolulu, HI – Jun 25, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jerald Garcia, MD?
The office staff is nice, but that is the most positive comment I can say in regard to Dr. Garcia and his practice. The wait times are atrocious, the doctor's as well as their nurse practitioner are dismissive. They prescribe medication that doesn't work and refuse to prescribe what has worked. They treated me as if I were a criminal or some kind of junkie without looking at any evidence to the contrary, such as what medications I use or how often I had them refilled. I will not be going back.
honolulu – Mar 30, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jerald Garcia, MD?
He's great. Professional, kind, courteous. The high turn around of ither medical and support staff has caused a lot of confusion when making appointments and in general communication. The high turn around is not cost effective to his practice though it continues and i find it frustraing when trying to communicate with his staff. Indont know if i will continue my care there ifstaff continues to change causing chaos to patient care as they are the backbine if his practice.
Feb 27, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jerald Garcia, MD?
Every time I have an appointment, I have had to wait over an hour and a half to see the doctor. They need to fix their scheduling as they have not been on time or any where near the last three times I've come.
honolulu – Feb 05, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jerald Garcia, MD?
Came in with nerve pain issues in right side of body due to brain cancer. Dr. Garcia is very knowledgeable. Unfortunately, none of the treatments helped the pain. However, my lower rating is due to the inappropriate wait time when I come in for an appointment. Waiting times after checking in have been from 45 minutes to as long as 2 1/2 hours. Ridiculous. Scheduling seems very unorganized. When questioning Dr. Garcia on why the wait time is so long, he got very defensive.
Hi_ca in Honolulu, HI – Jan 23, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jerald Garcia, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Garcia?

Our philosophy at HiPain is to treat your pain using a multi-disciplinary approach, combining state-of-the-art techniques with good, old- fashioned individualized care. We strive for the best possible outcome. After all, life is too short to be in pain.

• Anesthesiology

University of Mn Med Sch
1998
University of Minnesota / Twin Cities Campus

Common Questions and Answers

• Does Dr. Garcia communicate via email?

No responses yet. What's your ?

• Does Dr. Garcia offer telehealth services or virtual visits?

No responses yet. What's your ?

• Does Dr. Garcia offer an online patient portal?

No responses yet. What's your ?

• Does Dr. Garcia have free onsite parking?

1 user said no. What's your ?

• Does Dr. Garcia offer weekend visits?

No responses yet. What's your ?

• Does Dr. Garcia offer evening visits?

1 user said no. What's your ?

Please call the office to learn more. (808) 206-5301