Dr. Jeffrey Rihn, MD

Orthopedic Spine Surgery | Male

Rothman Institute Orthopaedics 1118 W Baltimore Pike Fl 3 Media, PA 19063 Get Directions
Dr. Jeffrey Rihn, MD
Dr. Rihn graduated from Duquesne University in 1998 with a B.S. in Biology and a B.A. in Theology. He was the Valedictorian of both the Bayer School of Natural and Environmental Sciences and the McAnulty College of Liberal Arts. He graduated from the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine in 2002 where he was selected to the Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Medical Honor Society. He completed his Orthopaedic Surgery residency at the University of Pittsburgh, and a Fellowship in Spinal Surgery at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital. Dr. Rihn is an Associate Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at the Rothman Institute and the Sidney Kimmel Medical of Thomas Jefferson, where he instructs residents and fellows in the evaluation and treatment of a variety of spinal conditions. He is the Co-director of Spine Surgery at the Rothman Institute and Thomas Jefferson University Hospital and the Co-director of the Regional Spinal Cord Injury Center of the Delaware Valley. Dr. Rihn has over 150 peer and non-peer reviewed publications and book chapters and has edited several books and special journal issues related to the spine. He continues to be active in research and education that pertains to the evaluation and treatment of spinal conditions.

Dr. Rihn's Experience

See how Dr. Rihn's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Rihn

Dr. Rihn accepts 10 insurance carriers

Dr. Rihn is now accepting new patients

Check out the quality of care at the 4 hospitals where Dr. Rihn has admitting privileges.

Dr. Rihn's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Rihn to family and friends
Dr. Rihn's Performance
Philadelphia, PA |
I have had nothing but positive interaction with physician and staff. Dr. Rihn has done a fantastic job, given by extensive physical intervention and uncomplicated healing. I am very much ahead of the healing cured thanks to Dr. Rihn's surgical skills. Great surgeon!!
Philadelphia, PA |
Very pleased with Doctor, staff, and outcome of surgery.
in springfield, pa |
I would, and in fact have, recommend Dr. Rihn for any type of spinal surgery.
Best thing I ever did. Dr. Rihn was wonderful
Philadelphia, PA |
This started as a very frightening process for me. Dr. Rihn addresses my comfort along with the physical issues. I am almost pain free for the first time in 10 years
in Lancaster, PA |
Dr. Rihn is amazing. When I met with him he explained my issue in a way that made it very easy for me to understand. Although he knew I was only seeing his for a second opinion about my herniated disc L4/L5, he offered to complete the surgery himself. I am four days post op from a microdicectomy and I already feel great. I had the exact same surgery in December and it took me weeks to feel this good. Dr. Rihn and his staff are amazing, I would recommend him to anyone.
Pennsylvania |
My father (83) had back pain & was at the point of having challenges leading his active lifestyle. Dr. Rihn made the diagnosis & suggested surgery. All appointments were adhered to, details of the surgical experience were well explained, & the recovery time was accurate. Post follow up was great. Dr Rihn's approach is calming, & the overall experience broke the stigma attached to an elderly person having back surgery. Several months have passed, and he has been back (no pun intended) to normal
Philadelphia, PA |
I was very pleased with Dr. Rihn and the outcome of my surgery. I am able to walk 5-7 miles with my hiking club. When my younger sister needs surgery soon, she will be calling Dr. Rihn. He already performed surgery on my older sister. He is our family choice. Thank you!
Philadelphia, PA |
Great service and competent staff. Very pleased with my recovery.
Narberth, PA |
My cervical discectomy and fusion was diagnosed correctly. How do I know this? When I woke up from surgery, the pain on my right side was completely gone! Excellent care by Dr. Rihn, Rothman Institute and the Riddle Hospital staff.
Great experience
in Allentown, PA |
Going to Rothman Institute was the best decision I've ever made for my anterior cervical discectomy and fusion surgery. I've been living with neck pains all my life and I am male 45 years old and it was such a life style change afterwards. Dr. Jeffrey Rihn came highly recommended from his peers when I first visited his office and decided to go through with surgery. I am 6.5 months out and feel wonderful, able to exercise and concentrate at work without having neck spasms and stress in office.
great experience
Philadelphia, PA |
My experience prior to surgery through post surgery was outstanding.
in hockessin, de |
I highly recommend Dr. Jeffrey Rihn and his team to anyone who is considering back surgery. Dr. Rihn performed successful L3/L4 spinal fusion on me and literally rolled years off my age by eliminating my back pain and restoring strength to my legs. Dr. Rihn and Colleen Thornton his nurse Practitioner answered my questions and concerns and provided outstanding care before and after my surgery. I consider myself very fortunate to have had them on my side.
Philadelphia, PA |
Words cannot express my satisfaction and gratitude. From Dr. Rihn and Colleen to the receptionist desk, it has been a great experience!
Philadelphia, PA |
I wish I had this procedure done sooner! The results are fantastic. Dr. Rihn is the greatest!
Philadelphia, PA |
Dr. Rihn is the best! I couldn't have chosen anyone better.
Philadelphia, PA |
Dr. Rihn is the best! Plus all of his staff are so helpful and kind.
in RIngtown, PA |
I cannot speak highly enough of Dr. Rihn and his staff, and would recommend them to anyone. I recently underwent a multi level (thoracic-lumbar) fusion and the care I received before, during, and after my surgery was absolutely remarkable. Dr. Rihn and his C.R.N.P. Colleen are one in a million. They both have the best bedside manner I have ever seen, and take the time to listen and genuinely care. They truly are angels in disguise and I am blessed to have come their way.
in Philadelphia, PA |
Dr Rihn is wonderful! I was dealing with horrible neck pain and Dr Rihn diagnosed me in minutes without even seeing an MRI. After I did have one done, it only confirmed his diagnosis. He was able to get me started on a plan to recover right away and I am feeling so much better! Highly recommend Dr Rihn.
in Media, Pa |
Dr. Rihn, Colleen, and the rest of his staff are fantastic! They are all very professional, polite, and have excellent bedside manners. Dr.Rihn took the time to show and explain to me my MRI and xray results. He was EXTREMELY knowledgeable which provided me, as his patient, with the utmost confidence that I was making the right decision regarding my healthcare needs. From the initial visit to my post-op visits, I felt like family when dealing with Dr.Rihn, Colleen and staff. Great Job!!
in wayne, pa |
I can hardly say enough positive things. Super bright, incredibly competent, humble, caring, passionate about helping people, courteous, compassionate, highly skilled. Just terrific
in ridley park |
The Best doctor I have dealt with. He saved my life. I was at a point where I could no longer walk longer than 10-20 feet with out sitting or bending over. Thanks for every thing
West Chester, PA |
Dr. Rihn spent 3 - 5 minutes with me and told me my spine problems were not treatable by him. Asked why I was there; suggested I find a new primary care doc when I told him my pcp referred me. Said the only thing to pursue was pain management. He never introduced himself and spent 98% of the 3 - 5 minutes in the room with me looking at the computer screen. Exited the room with out saying anything. He was clearly annoyed that I had come to him. I would never respect a Rothman doctor again.
Dear Patient, We apologize for your experience and would love the opportunity to discuss your concerns further. If interested, please contact us directly at 267-339-3689. Sincerely, Rothman Institute
in Kennett Square, PA |
Recently I developed severe spinal stenosis in L5S1 and moderate in L4-L5, which he diagnosed from my MRI. My symptoms were radiating leg/hip pain, severe weakness down both legs. I never hesitated to schedule surgery with him which he performed on 9/22/16. All of my symptoms are now gone and its been little over a week. Walking a mile a day to get strength back. He and his staff are all just amazing, I can't say enough good things about all of them.
in Glen Mills, PA |
As other patients of his have posted, I can't say enough regarding the excellent treatment from Dr. Rihn and his staff. They are simply the best of the best! Would recommend him in a heartbeat.
in Hilltown, PA |
From the first visit I had with Dr. Rihn to my most recent visit to follow up a lumbar discectomy surgery he performed in July of this year, Dr. Rihn has been an excellent doctor. He listened to me and made me feel at ease. His medical profile speaks volumes about his level of expertise. The entire staff at the Rothman Institute and Jefferson Hospital have earned my utmost respect and gratitude. Dr. Rihn changed my life for the better now that I am pain free.
in Philadelphia, PA |
Dr. Rihn is amazing! He is confident, self assured and knows his stuff!
in Scranton, PA |
Dr. Rihn performed thoracic lumbar spinal fusion on my deformed and painful back on May 18, 2016, due to scoliosis, spinal stenosis and spondylolisthesis. My life has been transformed. I no longer have back pain, and no longer have to cover up my back due to deformity. I would recommend this doctor to anyone who has any type of spinal condition and wants relief.
in PA |
I can't express how greatful I am for what Dr. Rihn has done for me. I had a herniated disc compressing my sciatic nerve which caused constant leg pain. It was so bad I was not able to sit longer than 10 minutes. The last few months I was not able to put on my own shoes with out extreme pain. I was very scared to have back surgery but I am so glad I did. I have my life back and I can do simple things like put my shoes on and sit to watch a movie with out pain. Thank you!
in Media, PA |
Was basically unable to walk and using stairs was extremely painful. Dr. Rihn did major surgery with pins and fusions. Within a week I could walk freely and stairs were not a challenge. In 2 months I was exercising almost 40 minutes a day and often did two mile walks. Am on schedule to do fishing and play golf in 90 days. It is a much better life for sure.
in Scranton Pa |
Three months ago I had very Invasive lower lumbar surgery. So far everything is healing wonderfully and minus me over doing it a little every now and then I'm doing great! Dr Rihn and his staff are amazing! They have worked with me through my whole process and continue to do so. I can't thank them enough! Looking forward to getting back 100% and living my life again. And very hopeful that I will! I would absolutely recommend Dr Rihn to anyone suffering from back pain that requires surgery.
in 142 n Llanwellyn Ave |
Great!!!
in Rosemont, PA |
Dr. Rihn made me very comfortable on our very first meeting. My surgery went so well that I did not have any post-op pain. I never had to take any painkillers at all. I feel better than I have in over a year.
in Breinigsville, PA |
I appreciated that Dr. Rihn was very straightforward concerning his opinion of my condition as well as his recommendations. I left my first appointment feeling confident I was finally on the right track and with a more complete understanding of my situation than I had in month of visits with other Drs and alternative therapists. Before and after my surgery he was on top of communication with my family as well making the process smooth, simple, and as easy as possible.
in Wayne, PA |
Wonderful experience with Dr. Rihn, Colleen and the entire Rothman team. Thank you for helping me get my life back.
Have you seen Dr. Jeffrey Rihn, MD?

Compare Dr. Rihn

Dr. Rihn says...

Dr. Rihn is an Associate Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at the Rothman Institute and the Sidney Kimmel Medical of Thomas Jefferson, where he instructs residents and fellows in the evaluation and treatment of a variety of spinal conditions.  He is the Co-director of Spine Surgery at the Rothman Institute and Thomas Jefferson University Hospital and the Co-director of the Regional Spinal Cord Injury Center of the Delaware Valley.

Dr. Rihn has over 150 peer and non-peer reviewed publications and book chapters and has edited several books and special journal issues related to the spine.  He continues to be active in research and education that pertains to the evaluation and treatment of spinal conditions.

Dr. Rihn's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Orthopedic Spine Surgery
  •  Board certified in Orthopedic Surgery
  •  Malpractice claims in Pennsylvania not available

• AOA Honor Society

Dr. Rihn has no media or publications listed.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Pennsylvania.

Why It Matters: Dr. Rihn's Board Certifications

• Adhesive Capsulitis
  • Aneurysm
  • Ankylosing Spondylitis
  • Bone Cancer
  • Brain Aneurysm
  • Broken Neck
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cerebrovascular Disease
  • Epilepsy
  • Hydrocephalus
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Lupus
  • Neck Strain (incl. Whiplash Injury)
  • Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus

University Of Pennsylvania School Of Medicine
    University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
    The Rothman Institute
    Thomas Jefferson University Hospitals

Dr. Rihn does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Rihn and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Orthopedic Spine Surgery
  • Orthopedic Spine Reconstructive Surgery

• Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Knee Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Spinal Fusion