Dr. Jeffrey McConnell, MD

Dr. Jeffrey McConnell, MD

Orthopedic Surgery  |

Dr. McConnell is a Pennsylvania native born in the same Philadelphia hospital where he ultimately graduated medical school. His interest in Orthopaedics was drawn from his personal experience with a Rugby related knee injury and subsequent surgery. His clinical interests gravitated toward spinal surgery and he pursued this interest with two fellowships in spinal surgery. Dr. McConnell brings to the Lehigh Valley region an unparalleled level of expertise and training in the discipline of spinal surgery, having completed two spine surgery fellowships and being board certified in both spinal surgery and orthopaedic surgery. He had the unique opportunity to complete his second fellowship at the Centre for Spinal Studies and Surgery, Queen's Medical Centre, Nottingham, England, with a primary focus on surgery for complex spinal deformities. He has published several articles on spinal surgery and presented clinical research at a number of prestigious scientific meeting around the world. Dr. McConnell has subspecialty interests in pediatric spinal deformity (scoliosis), motion preservation technologies for spine surgery and minimally invasive spine surgery techniques. Dr. McConnell is founder of "Operation Straight Spine", a charitable mission project which provides treatment for spinal disease and spinal deformity for the poor and underserved in Kolkata, India.

OAA Orthopaedic Specialists

• Golden Rule
  • HealthPartners
  • Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield

Learn about Dr. McConnell

Dr. McConnell's patients benefit not only from his experience and skills as a spinal surgeon, but also from his dedication and caring. "Every patient's problem is unique and deserves the appropriate amount of time to diagnose their condition and discuss treatment options"

Dr. McConnell's Experience

Dr. McConnell's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

• Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Image-Guided Spine Surgery
  • Kyphoplasty, Percutaneous
  • Kyphosis Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Lower Spine Surgery
  • Spinal Reconstructive Surgery for Deformities
  • Spinal Tumor Surgery
  • Spine Surgery
  • Total Disc Replacement

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Pennsylvania.

• Bucknell University
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1981
  • Jefferson Medical College Of Thomas Jefferson University, Thomas Jefferson University
    Medical School | Graduated 1985
  • Ctr For Spinal Studies U Nottingham
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2002
  • University Of Maryland Medical Center
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1991

Dr. McConnell has no media or publications listed.

Dr. McConnell does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. McConnell and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. McConnell's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. McConnell to family and friends
4.5
Dr. McConnell Says:

New patients want to know about your experience with our practice. We appreciate your feedback so that potential patients can make informed choices about their healthcare!

Dr. McConnell's Performance
in FL |
I couldn't be more grateful to Dr. McConnell for the quality of life he has given back to me. I was injured at 20 y/o and was unsure about my options and the procedures I was facing. Dr. McConnell took the time to discuss my options and the best treatments, ultimately I decided on a disc replacement in my neck. Dr. McConnell is a top surgeon and I did and will continue to trust him for any of my spine needs. His incredible work motivated me to pursue a career in the medical spine field.
in Allentown, PA |
ABSOLUTELY reco!- and have already to the many who knew of my own suffering way too long w/ back pain and SCIATICA. I am delighted- as incredibly grateful, of the successful outcome of my surgery and the overall experience that Dr. McConnell and his wonderful team's attentiveness, professionalism & most importantly- au courant knowledge on spinal surgery restoration made evident-*undoubtedly had- and has made the potentially HUGE decision of getting back surgery, a definite HUGE relief!!! :)
in Bath |
I recommend Dr McConnell to everyone I meet with back issues - and they seem to be everywhere. My experience with him and his team was everything I could have hoped for. They were quick , efficient and ultimatly effective... what a relief! I recieved a micro-discectomy from Dr. McConnell and as soon as anesthesia wore off it was obvious that there was a great improvement. It has been about 9 months since the operation and my back feels stronger than it has for many years.
in Orefield, PA |
My issue was a degraded disc between L5/S1. It degraded to the point where a disc fragment eventually pinched the sciatic nerve. Initially I had mild soreness in the left buttock for four months, with a final sudden flare-up that left me unable to walk without crutches. Within ten days I consulted with Dr. McConnell and had micro discectomy surgery on an outpatient basis, and I walked out of the hospital under my own power. After surgery my recovery went as well as you could ask for.
in Frackville,PA |
After a year of pain and taking Advil constantly Dr.McConnell told me he could help me with this pain and headaches I was having. From the minute you meet him and his staff you feel like family. Going into the surgery there weren't any fears of what if..he makes you VERY comfortable. When I got out of surgery I could feel the improvement NO PAIN!! I am now 3 months post op and still no pain meds needed. My family describes it as " He gave me my smile back" Do not second guess he is AMAZING!!
in Bangor, PA |
By the time I found my way to Dr. McConnell I could barely walk due to a herniated L2 disc. I had tried chiropractics, cortisone injections, and PT, but nothing worked. When I met Dr. McConnell and his team, I found them all very competent and compassionate. Dr. McConnell was able to fit me into his surgery schedule the very next day. After the OP surgical procedure I was able to walk out to our car pain free to go home. I have a very high regard for Dr. McConnell and his team. Thank you!
in Bethlehem, PA |
After suffering in pain for two years and going through numerous tests, doctors, treatments, etc. and not having any relief, I scheduled an appointment with Dr. McConnell to discuss surgery. He was my answer to prayers. He found exactly what caused my pain, I had surgery, very little recovery time and discomfort, and my pain has ceased. I would highly recommend OAA and specifically Dr. Jeffrey McConnell, MD!!!!!
in Easton,pa |
Dr mcconnel took the time with me to explain the surgery and listen to my concerns. I have almost now pain from the surgery and as soon as I woke up my arm pain was gone. He is very understanding and compassionate and I would go to him in a second...
in Barto, PA |
Dr. McConnell gave me my active lifestyle back. I had nerve pain in my lower spine for a year before I went to Dr. McConnell. I went for physical therapy and when that didn't work, I was told to go for spinal injections. That, too, didn't help. The surgery that Dr. McConnell performed on me removed the nerve pain immediately, and it has never returned. Now I can go on with my life, and enjoy our country home, and our horses, dogs & cats. It' wonderful, Thank You Dr. McConnell!
in Hamburg, PA |
What a great Person/Dr.! He is a marvelous surgeon and individual; straight forward and always thinking about the patient. I have had the opportunity to meet many individuals in political & private life that have made an impact on my life...........add Dr. Jeff to that list. I HIGHLY recommend him; he eliminated a pain I have been living with for months. He is a keeper.
in Easton, PA |
Dr. McConnell did a fantastic job on my cervical disks. I healed very quickly after the surgery with no complications. I am sure I chose the right team of doctors to treat my condition. THANK YOU!!
in Palmerton Pa. |
Would highly recommend anyone with back problems to see Dr. McConnell. He is very knowledgeable and will try all means to correct your health problems and will make you feel like new and be able to correct your problem. He is very friendly and explains in detail what your outcome to your recovery will be.i am very thankfull to have him for my Dr.
in Bloomsburg, PA |
Dr. McConnell has helped me to the point where my quality of life has improved 100%. He extremely friendly, very good bed side manners and he listens to you and explains everything, He will answer every question you have and give you the best and worst case scenario. I would highly recommend him.
in Bethlehem, PA |
Dr McConnell is one of a kind as far as surgeons go, I was a nurse for 40years and I've dealt with many Physicians ,and especially surgeons, can have a degree of difficulty with taking time and talking with their patients. Dr. McConnell always sits down to discuss your care plan and never makes you feel rushed. His skill as a Surgeon gave me back my life 8years ago when I had my first lumbar fusion , after 3 more I can say No one else will ever touch my spine , Thank you Dr. McConnell
in Vandling, PA |
Dr. McConnell is a highly skilled surgeon. My lumbar fusion has been a positive experience from beginning in January to now. Dr. follows you for a full year to make sure your back is healing properly. His staff and the Physician Assistants are friendly and caring. I have been singing his praises all over Northeast PA.
in Belvidere, NJ |
I went to Dr. McConnell for a herniated disc at L3. I had tried conservative treatment for 3 months and 3 epidurals with minimal improvement. I was quite impressed with the assessment performed by the APRN. However Dr. McConnell was the complete opposite. He didn't listen to what I was saying and told me that people "walk around with this all the time". He offered no solutions. I felt he dismissed my symptoms and his attitude and arrogance left no opportunity for further conversation.
in Mertztown, PA |
I have recommended Dr.McConnell to friends and family. My brother is considering coming from New Jersey to have Dr. McConnell operate on his back - my brother, who researches everything, was very very pleased with the outcome of my surgery and impressed with my doctor. I have been in terrible pain for a number of years and now I am happy to say the pain is gone thanks to Dr. McConnell. I cannot thank him enough for what he did and I must include his wonderful staff in my praise.
in Moore Township PA |
Having suffered for a very long time I felt I needed to see a specialist for my problem- My wife had been to Dr. McConnelll several years earlier, and had her back corrected by him- that being said along with my wife's complete recovery I said it was my turn- well what can I say- I am 7 weeks out from my surgery and 100% back- Thanks Dr. McConnell- the reason for 5 stars is not fair as he deserves many more then 5-
in Mountaintop, PA |
After meeting with several spinal surgeons (kind of a big decision) Dr. McConnell was the only one who took the time to ask about me and the kind of lifestyle I live and want to continue living. He explained the pros & cons and everything in between. After an hour of speaking with Dr. McConnell my choice was easy. And i'm glad to say 2 months after my surgery I made the correct decision.
in Whitehall, PA |
I researched surgeons prior to having a 2 level ACDF. Dr. McConnell specializes in this surgery and does a lot of them. I certainly asked my peers (RNs) for recommendations and Dr. McConnell's name came up consistently. My experience with him: - very courteous - took the time I needed to have my questions answered during office visits and pre-op - readily available post surgery (as was his PA, Kelly)
in Delaware Water, PA |
Dr McConnell turned my life around. I had a very serious bike accident summer of 2015 that left me in severe pain. PT did not help. He replaced a cervical disc in Feb 2016. As of now i am completely pain free and have resumed my activities with full motion of my neck. Back to biking and skiing.
in Doylestown, PA |
After suffering a neck injury in a late 2013 car accident, I had hit rock bottom by the summer of 2016. I had failed all conservative therapy. It was time for surgery, and there was only one surgeon with the knowledge and expertise to perform my two level cervical disc replacement, Dr. Jeff McConnell. I'm nearly six months postop, and my life has changed dramatically. I'm once again pain free, active, and most importantly I am happy. I am very grateful for Dr. M. and his staff's great care.
in Bethlehem, PA |
My experience with Dr. McConnell was very positive and I was very happy to have been referred to this very compassionate and patience doctor. He thoroughly explained what he was going to do and how long my recoverey would probably take. At the time I came to Dr. M I was in constant pain and was just existing. I now have a positive outlook and I can't thank Dr. McConnell enought.
in Bryn Mawr, PA |
I appreciate Dr. McConnell's expertise, ability and willingness to answer all of my questions. He was confident and comforting each time I talked to him prior to my surgery, even the morning of. What sticks with me most, however, was the morning after my surgery. Dr. McConnell very humbly sat next to my bed and thoroughly explained my surgical procedure . No ego, no interns, no students, just my doctor and me, talking. You know you can trust him and the proof is in the results: NO MORE PAIN. :)
in Hazleton, PA |
Went for herniated disc between L4 and L5 pushing on the nerve causing pain down my left leg .Dr McConnell and staff did a great job preformed out patient surgery O.A.A. did a great job with scheduling everything, would highly recommend for all medical needs
in Lehighton, PA |
I had cervical disc replacement on 9-28-16. I had pain in my neck and arms and shoulders and tingling in my hands or i had Dr.McConnell do the surgery. It was a success. I have no pain anywhere. I would recommend Dr.Jeffrey McConnell to anyone friends or family. Thank you again Dr. McConnell.
in Reading, PA |
I have only good things to say about Dr. McConnell and the staff at OAA. He provided excellent explanations about the problem and how it could be fixed. The out patient, minimally invasive micro-discectomy alleviated all the pain associated with my herniated disc. I was able to return to work sooner than expected. I was pain free for two years. I think I would have continued like that had I not fallen and re-injured that same disc. He went in again, removed the herniation and I'm again pain free
in Bristol tn |
I was 24 when I had my back injury I tried a lot of doctors no one could help me then DR. MCCONNELL took a MIR and found my problem he did surgery on my back and I am 42 today and still my back is great although as I get older arthritis makes it hurt some but I went from not being able to work for a year to working! I am now a nurse and I will never be able to thank u enough Dr. McConnell for what u did!!! I wish he was around Brostol TN still for my husband that has back problems!!
Have you seen Dr. Jeffrey McConnell, MD?
Are you Dr. McConnell?

Allentown, PA 18104
St. Luke's Hospital - Bethlehem Campus
801 Ostrum St
Bethlehem, PA 18015

More Orthopedic Surgery Specialists like Dr. McConnell at Lehigh Valley Health Network