Dr. Jeffrey Marcus, MD

Pediatric Surgery | Male

Dr. Jeffrey Marcus, MD
I am fortunate to have a profession that allows me to apply my skills to help children and adults who have challenging problems. My areas of clinical focus include cleft lip and palate, craniofacial surgery, functional and cosmetic nasal surgery (rhinoplasty) for adolescents and adults, facial paralysis, vascular malformation, ear surgery, congenital hand abnormalities, and birth-related brachial plexus injury. Often, I am asked how I chose this profession. To me, plastic surgery combines technical challenge with creativity and problem solving. My patients' problems are usually apparent to others and create a layer of issues related to self-esteem. To a child born with a facial disfigurement, surgery provides a change that is needed to grow up and feel like any other kid. In consultation, my job is three-fold: to listen to concerns, to study problems, and to provide accurate, unbiased information about the possibilities. I am motivated only by my patients' happiness. If I do not feel that surgery will realistically achieve my patients' goals, I have no reason to recommend it. To a parent, there is no such thing as minor surgery. The same is true for adult patients who are making an important decision for themselves.

Dr. Marcus' Experience

See how Dr. Marcus' experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Marcus

Dr. Marcus accepts 28 insurance carriers

Dr. Marcus is now accepting new patients

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Marcus has admitting privileges.

Dr. Marcus' Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Marcus to family and friends
Dr. Marcus' Performance
in Durham, NC |
Overall, it was a great experience and I am so glad tat I did it. My only regret is not doing it sooner!
in Durham, NC |
Dr Marcus is wonderful and caring. His staff is great. All appt have been on time. His standards are impeccable.
in Durham, NC |
I had an exceptional experience with Dr. Marcus and staff. Everyone was exceptionally kind and willing to go above and beyond. Since having a rhinoplasty done, I feel more confident than ever. I have received compliments left and right. I could not have been happier with the results. My nose looks as natural as can be, and fits to my face (not the other way around). I could not be more appreciative of Dr. Marcus and the long term effects his work on this surgery has had on my life.
in Lynchburg, VA |
Our son had to have CVR surgery at 6 months of age. My wife and I felt as if our sweet son's life was in danger. We were nervous, emotional, scared and sad. Immediately before sedation, Dr. Marcus met with us. His calmness, kindness, professionalism and confidence was so reassuring to us as he was about to have our little boy's fragile life literally in his hands. Several excruciating hours later, Dr. Marcus informed us that the surgery went exactly as planned, and recovery went exactly as
in Durham, NC |
Dr. Marcus is very personable and an excellent surgeon. His staff is very friendly and helpful.
in Roanoke Rapids, NC |
Dr. Marcus smiles :-) and listens attentively to your concerns, needs, questions. I did not feel rushed, he gave detailed info about the procedure and made sure I had no other questions before leaving the room. He discussed all available treatment options. Two thumbs up!
Dr. Marcus and his staff have a way of making us feel that our child is the only child they are seeing today. Dr. Marcus always spends plenty of time talking with us and never seems to rush off to another patient, yet his appointments always run true to time. He is very thorough and knowledgeable, and also has a wonderful bedside manner.
in Concord, NC |
Dr. Marcus has a great bed side manner and explained to us and our son the procedure he would be having. His support staff was terrific as well.
in Apex, NC |
Cannot speak highly enough about Dr. Marcus' work on my son's unexpected craniosynostosis diagnosis. After being misdiagnosed by our trusted physician, we were thrilled to have a knowledgable doctor, who clearly wanted the best for our son. Dr. Marcus' staff responded asap to a personal and urgent email to get on the schedule before the cut off date for an endoscopic surgery. He was beyond helpful with all our questions and concerns. Very kind and has a great bedside manner.
in Durham, NC |
Dr. Marcus is caring, compassionate and relates well to teens. Rhinoplasty on my daughter's nose before college could not have gone better. Her nose looks natural and her beauty has been enhanced. One year on and my child has had no problems. Most of all my daughter's self esteem has been elevated! Highly recommend this professional, skilled surgeon.
in Virginia Beach, VA |
All of the nurses and Dr. Jeffrey Marcus are angels on this earth! I cannot find the words or express enough how impressed I am by this AMAZING Doctor and his wonderful staff. Six weeks ago Dr. Marcus performed a functional rhinoplasty on me. I had a very severe deviated septum and nasal obstruction and now I am able to breathe and my nose is amazingly straight! Dr. Marcus truly cares about his patients and will take his time with you to make sure everything is right. My life is changed!
Durham, NC |
Highly recommend Dr. Marcus for Cleft related repairs/issues. The entire Duke team has been thoughtful in approach and amazing in execution.
in Wake Forest, NC |
Our daughter had a cranial reconstructive surgery when she was almost three which is a little older than they normally do these types of surgeries. I was nervous but Dr. Marcus had such a calm and confident approach to the situation that really helped me a lot. The surgery lasted for about 8 hours and he spoke with us immediately afterwards and was positive that things had gone well. He is very skilled and knowledgeable in his profession and I would recommend him 100%.
Dr. Marcus is wonderful. He really knows what he's doing. He explains everything in detail. I had a rhinoplasty done and experienced an issue (which was my fault). I called him at 12:45am because the resident on call didn't return my call quickly. Dr. Marcus calmed m down and told me what to do. The care he provides is hard to find in healthcare now. The entire staff is great! The nurses are just as helpful and kind. I would highly recommend Dr. Marcus and his staff to anyone.
in Chapel Hill, NC |
I had traumatic injury requiring extensive surgery to face, jaw and cheek. later as I still experienced difficulty in jaw movement, some pain in the metal plates and an unsightly and wide 5 inch scar on my face, 6 months later I was recommended to Dr. Marcus. Not only did Dr. Marcus and staff explain every cosmetic and functional option, they also gave me confidence that they could remove all of the steel, regain jaw function and correct the scaring. The surgery and followup was a 100% success
in Raleigh, NC |
He is very passionate and empathetic towards his patients. He listens to their needs and fully explains everything. He is great to work with!
in Goldsboro NC |
Dr. Marcus is a very kind man. He is attentive, and knowledgeable. Dr. Marcus performed a surgery on my two year old when he was 6 months old. It was a long surgery and I was worried about him having a scar. Dr. Marcus said to me proudly I'm a surgeon. He will not have a scar. Dr. Marcus is proud of his work. After his long surgery Dr. Marcus spoke with me immediately. He was re-assuring and compassionate. I absolutely love him and his nurse Susan. This is a wonderful team.
in Manteo, NC |
We were referred to Dr. Marcus by our pediatrician for a second opinion. His opinion was consistent with the first surgeon we saw, however Dr. Marcus' high level of expertise in the craniofacial field helped us to make the decision to choose him as the surgeon for our daughter. The experience was outstanding. The combination of Dr. Marcus and Duke Children's Hospital was amazing.
Have you seen Dr. Jeffrey Marcus, MD?
Are you Dr. Marcus?

Compare Dr. Marcus

Dr. Marcus says...

Dr. Marcus' experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Pediatric Surgery
      •  Board certified in Plastic Surgery
      •  Malpractice claims found

Dr. Marcus has 2 malpractice claims

More  What is medical malpractice
        • Settlement (2/11/2013)
        • Nature of Complaint: INCIDENT LOCATION: DURHAM, NC /// PRACTITIONER COMMENTS: Licensee Response: Patient presented with a complex craniofacial plastic issue. She underwent surgery and then developed a post-op infection (cultures grew out Serratia). The patient was treated with triple antibiotic therapy, including gentamicin. Subsequently the patient developed vestibular toxicity, a known complications of gentamicin.
        • State: North Carolina
        • Settlement (9/8/2014)
        • Nature of Complaint: INCIDENT LOCATION: DURHAM, NC /// PRACTITIONER COMMENTS: I was involved in a complex and severe cleft lip and palate case in which the infant died as a result of intracranial bleeding. After investigation, it was determined that the likely cause of the bleed was injury to a vascular structure by a fixation wire that was used for stabilization of the maxilla. There was no suit filed in conjunction with this tragic event. A report will be filed with the North Carolina Medical Board.
        • State: North Carolina

Hosp for Sick Children-Toronto

Completed in 2003

University of Michigan / Ann Arbor

Graduated in 1990

Dr. Marcus does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Marcus and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Pediatric Surgery
      • Craniofacial Surgery
      • Facial Plastic Surgery
      • Pediatric Craniofacial Surgery
      • Pediatric Plastic Surgery
      • Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
      • Plastic Surgery

• Cleft Lip and Palate Repair
      • Cleft Palate Repair (Palatoplasty)
      • Complex Revision Rhinoplasty
      • Congenital Hand Surgery
      • Ear Plastic Surgery (Otoplasty)
      • Ear Reconstruction
      • Endoscopic Cranial Remodeling
      • Facial Nerve Repair
      • Facial Reconstruction
      • Nose Plastic Surgery (Rhinoplasty)
      • Primary Cosmetic Rhinoplasty