Dr. Jay Tarnow, MD

Child & Adolescent Psychiatry •  Male • Age 72

Dr. Tarnow

Tarnow Center For Self Mgmt

1001 West Loop S Ste 215 Houston, TX 77027

Dr. Jay Tarnow, MD is a child & adolescent psychiatry specialist in Houston, TX and has been practicing for 44 years. He graduated from Albert Einstein College Of Medicine Of Yeshiva University in 1972 and specializes in child & adolescent psychiatry and pediatric psychiatry.

Dr. Tarnow accepts

Dr. Tarnow accepts the following insurance:

Assurant Health
Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO
Medicaid
UniCare
WellPoint

No malpractice claims found for Texas

Check Dr. Tarnow's experience treating your condition or procedure

Dr. Tarnow's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Tarnow

2.6

Dr. Tarnow?
Dr. Tarnow's Performance
What People Say About Dr. Jay Tarnow, MD
Dr. Tarnow's care changed my life and my family's. I cannot understate this. His diagnosis of my adhd over twenty years ago (then my mom's), his ability to find an unusual but effective treatment through medication (that of course altered over time, as my body physically altered from childhood to adulthood), is extraordinary. My behavior and self-management literally make me unrecognizable from my childhood self... Having been in the education profession, amd observing many students and their families go through troubles similar to what I experienced (but with different outcomes), I see how lucky I was to have the care experience I had. Worth every penny. Also: about Dr Tarnow's tendency to stand at a podium, I've always seen it as quirky rather than paternalistic. He's got a lot of energy-- I can relate!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jay Tarnow, MD?
He seems to think that what he says is the only thing that matters. I think since he does not take insurance he pushes expensive ($3000) test. My real honest opinion is that he is an.....I can’t say that here, and after 4 visits my wife agreed as well as the he pushed test for money.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jay Tarnow, MD?
I saw Tarnow for over 10 yrs. He was great. It is true, he can be stern at times, but in my instance, it was bc he cared a lot about my outcome. He did stand at a podium but who cares? I also saw a therapist in his practice & she & I had a great, 10 yr relationship. Tarnow also found the correct diagnosis for me & it felt like I crawled out of a hole to see the sun. He does seem a little angry in his emails. Who cares? He does a good job!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jay Tarnow, MD?
I would NEVER refer anyone to this physician. He is extremely unprofessional, and he treated our family with the utmost disrespect on many occasions. First of all, he stands at a podium during your session and he prefers that you sit on a old, low couch-so I guess he feels that he is “superior”. He rarely interacts with the patient he is supposed to be evaluating...he primarily interacts with the parent or parents. He is rude, forgetful, confrontational and plain nasty if you disagree with him.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jay Tarnow, MD?
My husband & children has been going to Tarnow for 20 something years.Their mental health and behaviors keeps declining and getting worst in every sense having Tarnow managing and numbing their lives with pills they ask to be given. Urine Drug test came always "clean", my husb. happy to hear that when in fact son was using fake urine and high on heavy drugs. MONEY and TIME wasted and lives of love ones continuous to deteriorate without proper help. This doctor has customers no patients. Beware.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jay Tarnow, MD?
Dr. Tarnow is so unprofessional. He told me my speech is terrible. He is a money sucker and doesn't care about any of his clients.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jay Tarnow, MD?
He's great as long as you don't disagree with him! If you do, he becomes rude and nasty.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jay Tarnow, MD?
My daughter began here about 6 years ago because some friends had recommended it. She was angry, somewhat hyper active and we learned that she had high anxiety. The best part of this center is that they are a team. They meet and talk about how best to help your child. We stuck with the plan abound today our daughter is amazing. She has overcome so many things and is successful because of their help. It is expensive because it is the best. Worth every penny!!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jay Tarnow, MD?
Money is the subject from the second you walk in until your last day of "help". I've Met taxi drivers with more compassion and empathy. I understand it's a business but they could at least pretend to care.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jay Tarnow, MD?
The team is so supportive. The cost and delays are worth everything for excellent care
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jay Tarnow, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Tarnow?

• Child & Adolescent Psychiatry