Dr. Jason Stein, MD

Orthopedic SurgeryMaleAge 46

Orthopedic Surgery

Dr. Jason Stein, MD is an Orthopedic Surgery Specialist in Baltimore, MD and has over 21 years of experience in the medical field. Dr. Stein has extensive experience in Shoulder & Upper Arm Surgery. He graduated from Baylor College Of Medicine in 2002. He is affiliated with Medstar Union Memorial Hospital. His office accepts new patients and telehealth appointments.

Dr. Jason Stein, MD

Dr. Stein's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Stein

4.2

Surgery Candidates Only
Unless you require surgery, don't bother making an appt. He seems quite competent, but unless the x-ray shows surgery required, you will be classified as having "non-surgical shoulder pain" and told to do PT and get a cortisone shot--no MRI required.
Aug 26, 2022
Excellent Surgeon, Excellent Results
Dr. Stein performed a distal biceps tendon repair on my left arm (dominant arm) almost four years ago. It is important to note that I am a graphic designer/illustrator and my arm is essential to my career. My arm completely healed over the course of the first year. I followed all exercises and stretching guidance from both Dr. Stein and his associate Steven Doll, PA-C. Dr. Stein had an excellent bedside manner, was considerate, thorough and kind. He immediately went to the waiting room and updated my wife on my condition while I was moved to recovery. Steven Doll oversaw my recovery with Dr. Stein's guidance. Mr. Doll was also very thorough, kind and considerate. He answered every question I had with full and complete responses. The only part of the surgery that they wished had gone better was the alignment of the margins of the incision they made though a tattoo to facilitate the repair. If 100 was a perfect alignment they were a 95! All I have to add is thank you Dr. Stein, Mr. Doll!
Matthew Czapanskiy – Apr 26, 2022
Horrible doctor
Simply put he is the most dismissive arrogant doctor. Medstar should be ashamed. My other doctors there like Dr Levine are great. He ruined my shoulder. And he blamed me for it.
  • Staff wasn't friendly
  • Long wait times
Tracie E – Mar 03, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jason Stein, MD?
I had distal bicep tendon surgery with Dr. Stein. Every interaction with Dr. Stein was professional, informative and i had all my questions answered while not feeling rushed along. My surgery was two days ago so I'm just getting into recovering but I am feeling great. Very little pain, no numbness or other complications, everything went extremely well. The entire surgical team was fantastic. I cannot recommend this surgeon or his team more. Thankfully I was able to get connected with him and have him take care of my issue.
Joe – Dec 05, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jason Stein, MD?
My husband and I have both had shoulder replacements performed by Dr. Stein. Our outcomes are excellent. Our follow-up care excellent. Dr. Stein is very compassionate and always called us post-op to check in. Steve the PA and the office staff are great. We have made multiple referrals to this practice.
Barbara Galloway – Jul 20, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jason Stein, MD?
If you sustain a work injury and want to file a worker's compensation claim, you may want to think twice before seeing Jason Stein. My claim was denied because he failed to include in my medical file a single word of our conversation regarding my work causing my injury. His inattentiveness and negligence cost me over $700 in denied compensation! A competent doctor listens to his patients and follows through. Not so with Jason Stein. By the way, if you're in pain and need an x-ray, brace yourself. Dr. Stein's x-ray technician is as gentle and compassionate as a WWE wrestler.
Jennie Phelps – Jun 24, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jason Stein, MD?
My son went to see Dr. Stein for a suspected shoulder issue. My son was very disappointed with the way he was treated by Dr. Stein. The appointment was rushed and the doctor only spent 5 minutes with my son and then dismissed him to another provider. It seemed like Dr. Stein was annoyed that he had to see my son and examine and evaluate him. I would not recommend this provider to anyone else.
Michael Wallace – Feb 18, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jason Stein, MD?
Dr Stein performed replacement of my right shoulder. Prior to the surgery Dr Stein explained the severity of my situation and initially recommended cortisone injections. Upon the 3rd injection he and I determined surgery was the appropriate next step. The surgery was successful and Dr Stein effectively led me through the recovery process of strengthening exercises. At each follow up visit he listened to and answered all my questions and concerns and provided direction for continued improvement. The procedure enabled me to achieve 100% return to my normal activities. His communication approach led me to be very confident in his care.
Rick Rukowicz – Dec 19, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jason Stein, MD?
Can’t understand the few negative reviewers (and why no real names attached - perhaps they are negative people? I’m old enough to have seen a few doctors in my life and this is my first time writing a review but Dr. Stein is an extraordinarily fine doctor and surgeon. I needed rotator cuff/bicep repair surgery but was NOT pushed into it. Dr. S takes a conservative approach here. I surely needed surgery and was so relieved that it was not at all like the horror stories I had heard. Pain was always controlled and much less uncomfortable than I was anticipating. I was even able to sleep all night on the affected shoulder only 3 nights post surgery, which definitely helps recovery (rather than trying to sleep recliner-style). With Dr. S the computer won’t be on and there is full attention, which seems difficult to find these days. I referred a daughter to him and she, too,was very impressed with his kind, caring manner & skill. Dr. Stein = excellent surgeon = excellent human being.
Anne Dyment in Ellicott City , MD – Oct 27, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jason Stein, MD?
Dr. Stein is THE NICEST and most caring Doctor that I have ever been to. EVER. His knowledge about my shoulder replacement was incredible. Didn’t have a clue that shoulders could even be replaced and was so in doubt. He professionally diagnosed that and explained to me in my terms, just what to expect. I’m doing exceptionally well and it’s been 6 months. I was also very impressed with his internet reviews. It’s no wonder that he’s considered a TOP DOC. I know he is in my book. His staff is also wonderful. Jessica and Kayla are very personable as well. I recommend Dr. Stein with all 10’s!
Patricia Mattes in Bel Air, MD – Oct 07, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jason Stein, MD?
Dr. Stein is an excellent surgeon. On two occasions doctors told me should er surgery was the most difficult joint surgery to recover from. My wife got notice of a pain information seminar given by Medstar at the White Marsh library. After the main presentation I described my situation and the person giving the clinic advised me to consult Dr. Stein. Dr. Stein was very professional and very confident that he could resolve my problem. He told me he did 150 operations the previous year and he knew he could make it right. The day of the operation I entered the hospital at 5:30 am and i was discharged at 11:30 am. He gave me some basic exercises to do and I did them. I did not require rehab appointments. I had no significant pain after the operation. I used naproxen on a few occasions. I wish I had the surgery sooner. Quality of life is better. Dr. Stein is a very good doctor.
Stephen Sohasky – Oct 02, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jason Stein, MD?
I was referred to Dr Stein after I had a tear in my shoulder from a hard fall working in my barn. The first surgeon had said my tear was a difficult one to repair but Dr Stein could give a better analysis of my situation . Appointment was easy to make, my military insurance was accepted, and the facility was very clean and accommodating. Both Dr Stein and his assistant PA Doll were very forthcoming and clear about the situation and how tricky a surgery it would be. The chances of recovery, and how crucial the recovery time and process would be. The surgery was scheduled quickly, and done at an out patient surgery facility not too far away. Because of Dr Steins info, I was able to have everything in place at home and was prepared for every step of the surgery and recovery. The team was supportive, encouraging, and took most of the worry away from me. The long 6 months after were tough to stay within the required rest, but I am Back to full days work and back in the saddle!
Rp in Westminster, MD – Sep 24, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jason Stein, MD?
Excellent orthopedic surgeon. Performed a complicated rotator cuff operation on my right shoulder with excellent results: minimal pain, no need for opioids, very quick recovery and virtually 100% motion recovery within 4 months. Truly happy with the overall outcome as well as with the overall experience of dealing with his office and staff, especially with his PA (Steven Doll) whose knowledge and excellent communication skills helped me a lot. Thank you.
Dr Akis Goutzoulis in Annapolis , MD – Sep 19, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jason Stein, MD?
My mistake was discounting the 20% of one star reviews this Dr. has, as of the date my review. Post visit, I can now confirm the complete accuracy of these negative reviews. Similar to this Dr.’s level of arrogance, this was above and beyond my worst experience with a medical provider: - Even though I called and booked my appointment with the Dr., my appointment was made with the PA. I needed to request to see the Dr. - My wait time to get into the patient room exceeded an hour and 5 minutes, no apology or mention of the lengthy wait - PA and Dr. would not look at my X-ray or MRI, stated they were “junk,” and ordered more film - Dr. told me that a previous surgery I had was a “sham” surgery - I can't lift my arm, yet Dr. completely discredited my pain and immobility and stated, “nothing is mechanically wrong”; however, MRI report suggests otherwise Steer clear of this Dr.’s arrogance and belittlement towards patients, truly no place for this type of medical provider. Nice staff.
Baltimore, Maryland – Aug 29, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jason Stein, MD?
Very patient oriented. Takes time with patients. Great surgeon as well.
Apr 13, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jason Stein, MD?
Very positive. He took the time to thoroughly explain my situation, arthritis in my shoulder. He even took the time to explain some issues I have had with a knee replacement, which he did not do. I highly recommend him.
Mar 26, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jason Stein, MD?
I went to see Dr. Stein for chronic pain in both shoulders. He was excellent in his diagnosis and treatment. He took whatever time was needed to hear my complete 18 month history and was genuinely interested in finding a solution, both medically and psychologically speaking. I was referred to him by Dr. Shoan in Baltimore who is a friend of my brother, who is an orthopod in NYC.
Howard F. Zuckerman in BALTIMORE, MD – Jan 08, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jason Stein, MD?
Dr. Stein was extremely patient with my questions about rotator cuff surgery. He is that rare combination of an excellent surgeon and compassionate doctor. The surgery processes were sensitive to me and my needs. His office was very responsive and nursing staff at the surgery center terrific!
Shelly in Catonsville – Dec 13, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jason Stein, MD?
I saw Dr. Stein after having an elbow surgery (from a different Surgeon) that failed after few months. Stein explained my options in great details and offered his professional opinion. Accordingly, he repaired my elbow and subsequently followed up for six months. This morning, I was given a clean bill of health and am ready to get back to things I love doing. My experience through this whole ordeal has been nothing but wonderful. Dr. Stein is very personable and indeed an excellent surgeon.
Shyam Dua in Columbia, MD – Nov 09, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jason Stein, MD?
He is very arrogant, had me waiting in the wait room for 1 hour and 5 minutes as a new patient with no apology and downplayed my pain without fully examining me. I will NEVER step foot in his office again after today. I left his office nearly crying after my interaction with him and going through my bouts of pain. I had to ask him to review my xray with me. I would not recommend him to my enemy. Horrible service, but nice staff.
  • Long wait times
Smiley in Elkridge, MD – Jun 29, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jason Stein, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Stein?