Orthopedic Shoulder & Elbow Surgery  |
Dr. Jason Hsu, MD
Jason Hsu, M.D. is a shoulder and elbow specialist and assistant professor of orthopaedic surgery at University of Washington in Seattle. His expertise lies in arthroscopic surgery for rotator cuff tears, shoulder replacement surgery for arthritis, arthroscopic and open surgery for the unstable shoulder, and complex reconstructive procedures for previous failed shoulder surgeries. He has extensive experience in the most up-to-date arthroscopic and open surgical techniques to relieve shoulder pain and improve function.

University of Washington Bone and Joint Center

• Health Net
  • HealthSmart
  • Premera Blue Cross

Learn about Dr. Hsu

Dr. Hsu is dedicated to establishing a strong and long-lasting doctor-patient relationship. He encourages patients to make shared decisions on whether surgical intervention is necessary or appropriate. Non-operative management is always discussed and maximized. Under his care, every patient has access to his personal e-mail address so that any questions or concerns are addressed as quickly as possible.

Dr. Hsu's Experience

Dr. Hsu's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Orthopedic Shoulder & Elbow Surgery

• Shoulder Surgery
  • Shoulder, Elbow, Hand, and Wrist Joint Reconstruction
  • Shoulder, Elbow, Hand, and Wrist Joint Replacement
  • Total Shoulder Replacement

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Washington.

• Northwestern University
    Internship Hospital | Completed
  • University Of Pennsylvania
  • Washington University Barnes Jewish Hosp
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed

Dr. Hsu has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Hsu does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Hsu and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Hsu's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Hsu to family and friends
Dr. Hsu's Performance
in Seattle, WA |
I have already given a recommendation to one of my customers who is approaching a shoulder surgery. I could not be more pleased with the outcome of my shoulder surgery and care from Dr. Hsu. This man is amazing. Extremely knowledgeable and has absolutely the best bedside manner of any Dr I have experienced. He actually cared about me and my recovery. He prepared me for an intense recovery and did not sugarcoat the anticipated pain and work it would take to get back to "normal". Exceptional
in Mercer Island , wa |
Dr Hsu is an excellent surgeon and Doctor. When he operated on me he came to the hospital everyday to check up on me. He gives his patients his email so that he can personally answer any concerns . He listens to his patients. I highly recommend him.
in Tacoma, WA |
Many thanks to Dr. Hsu & his staff! I suffered a devastating & rare shoulder dislocation. I met with a couple of orthopedic surgeons & was not pleased with their demeanor or encouragement. After networking in Tacoma & speaking with a doctor in Boston, I decided to seek medical treatment with Dr. Hsu. It was a great decision. Dr. Hsu is friendly & confident. He explains matters thoroughly. Surgery went well & my recovery exceeded expectations. My shoulder mobility continues to improve. Awesome!
Seattle, WA |
Dr. Hsu was the physician/surgeon who treated my broken arm. He chose a conservative approach in repairing the breaks, which I much appreciated. However, when it became apparent that surgery was needed, he did a good job installing the necessary hardware to straighten the bones, and the arm mended correctly. He required regular checkups to assess the healing process, and provided me with the information I needed about what was happening, during and between appointments. Very trustworthy.
in Redmond, WA |
Dr. Hsu is by far the best doctor I've ever come in contact with personally. He's very engaging, social, and good-natured. He brings an understanding and compassion to your issue that's appreciated. He always answers direct emails himself, which is by far enough to be considered the best doctor around. I would highly recommend him to anyone needing help with shoulder or elbow issues.
Edmonds, WA |
Dr. Hsu performed a reverse shoulder replacement after a fall that broke my shoulder. He explained the various surgical options and anticipated outcomes of the various procedures. In subsequent visits, he would explain what to expect and what the next steps in recovery would be. He was a great help in a very scary situation. Dr Hsu encouraged me to email questions which he very promptly answered. I have already recommended him to other folks. All but one appointment has been on time.
Seattle, WA |
Very good experience overall - time will tell how strong the shoulder is at the most strenuous levels of use, but I am confident in it, and the shoulder certainly performs perfectly in day-to-day use.
in Seattle, WA |
I had a successful shoulder rotator cuff repair last July. Dr. Hsu explained clearly what was wrong with my shoulder and my options. After surgery, he worked with a PT on a healing plan for 6 months that worked as planned. Dr. Hsu approach to health care gave me confidence and he wasn't shy about telling me that I needed to push myself a little more to improve the healing. I appreciate his quick response to my questions by email, even when he was traveling.
Royal City, WA |
we researched a shoulder specialist and are glad we came up with him. really like his demeanor and willingness to discuss all aspects of my condition, answering any questions I have. My experience with two procedures he has done has been excellent. He didn't promise more than what was to be expected. My recovery has been well ahead of schedule, and my condition is vastly improved.
in Sequim, WA |
excellent results from surgery
in Lynnwood, WA |
Dr. Hsu is a great person. Not only was he able to find the problem to my shoulder but he was able to get me back to doing what i loved doing the most. That is exercising. After my surgery, the pain levels decreased and I was able to gain most of my range of motion back!
Seattle, WA |
Dr. Hsu was an outstanding surgeon that made me feel confident in my shoulder's stability once again. This is even more impressive as this was my second Bankart repair, the first being done at a different clinic and different surgeon. He gave me clear instructions for post surgery actions and filled out medical information requested within the day.
in Wenatchee, WA |
Dr. Hsu did an outstanding job of identifying the source of the shoulder pain I had been having for over ten years and arriving at a solution. The surgical procedure he performed has completely eliminated the pain that I had and I am now again able to participate in the activities that I love.
in Snohmish, WA |
Dr. Hsu was extremely attentive and understanding during his assessment of a shoulder injury that I had. He listened to my concerns and determined that I needed a surgical procedure to correct an issue that had not been addressed with previous surgeries. My surgery went extremely well and my recovery has been phenomenal. I have resumed full activity and no longer have any pain in my shoulder or arm. Dr. Hsu has helped me get back to the extreme sports that I enjoy doing.
in Bellingham, WA |
Dr. Hsu, had never met me before and after looking at regular x-rays in a matter of moments told me there was something wrong with my arm. For the last year the doctors here in Bellingham have made me feel like I'm crazy for thinking this, and they had MRI's. I can't thank him enough for giving me back my sanity and hopefully the use of my arms soon from his referral. First time and a long time I felt like the doctor was a human thank you so much.
in Seattle, WA |
Everything has been at or above expectations. Dr Hsu was one of three referrals that I received. In his bio he stated that if you had any questions or issue regarding your injury to send him an email. I did, and he replied that day. That was when I knew I had found the doctor for me.
in Seattle, WA |
My shoulder surgery was complicated but Dr. Hsu was absolutely superb every step of the way. I can't recommend him and his team too highly.
in Tacoma,WA |
I have been lucky to be introduced to Dr Hsu, having surgery on my shoulder has improved my life by 100% I could not recommend anyone better than Dr. Hsu
in Kent, WA |
Dr Hsu was amazing! I was suffering from frozen shoulder and went to a different orthopedic surgeon who wanted to do a manipulation under anesthesia. I was nervous about this procedure and decided to get a 2nd opinion from Dr Hsu. Dr Hsu recommended a noninvasive procedure to remove calcium deposits. With this procedure I also had a cortisone shot. Within one week, my pain was significantly reduced. I was able to go back to work right away and my sleep was much improved.
in Sunnyside, wa |
After being told by a lot of other doctors that they couldn't fix it. Dr. Hsu said he would. He was amazing at explaining the surgery and telling me the risk and benefits of having the surgery. I was really scared to have the second surgery but he calmed me down Made me feel really safe about the surgery. Now I'm feeling so much better thank to Dr. Hsu
in Kent, WA |
Dr. Hsu is extremely professional, talented, and shows that he truly cares about what he does. 6-months after reconstructive shoulder surgery and it feels as if my shoulder was never damaged in the first place. Everything about Dr. Hsu has exceeded my expectations and I don't have a single negative thing to say. I would highly recommend Dr. Hsu to anyone with similar injury.
in Seattle, WA |
I came to Dr. Hsu after seeing several specialists in the city and in need of an urgent procedure. Dr. Hsu went over my options without pushing me towards the more extreme, as some others have. Most importantly, he was considerate of the rarity of my case, given both the complexity of my injury and my younger age. The surgery, recovery, and the result all matched the highest expectations. I feel fortunate for having Dr. Hsu recommended to me and for choosing to go with him.
in Everett, WA |
Dr. Hsu was very kind and got me through a very diffecult time. If this had to happen to me, i am so glad that the was my doctor. I would highly recommend him to anyone who needs his expertise with shoulder problems.
in Bellingham, WA |
Dr. Hsu performed a miracle surgery on my left arm, replacing a previous shoulder replacement which failed when my arm broke from lack of bone density caused partly by a bone infection from the first replacement. I cannot say enough about his skill, dedication, and enthusiasm. He has my undying gratitude!
in Gambier, OH |
Dr. Hsu is absolutely outstanding as a surgeon and as a communicator. Whenever I have had a question or a request he promptly gets back to me, and he goes out of his way to aid communication with other medical practices where communication has proved difficult. My case is very complicated and frankly I do not how I would have been able to proceed without Dr. Hsu. I cannot say enough good things in praise of him.
in Ashford wa |
I can not speak highly enough of dr. Hsu. He and his staff have been absolutely amazing. They have gone above and beyond in every conceivable way. Thank you dr.
in Moses Lake, WA |
I have already sent 2 people to see Dr. Hsu, and will continue to do so. He listened to me, and I mean really listened. When he explained the surgery to me, it was on a level I could understand, and he encouraged me to ask any questions I had. After the surgery, but still in the operating room he explained what he had done, so when I more fully awoke, I had information. His post op orders were clear, he made me I was an inportant part of my own recovery, is still available if I need him
Have you seen Dr. Jason Hsu, MD?
Are you Dr. Hsu?