Orthopedic Surgery  |
Dr. Jan-Eric Esway, MD
Dr. Jan-Eric Esway is a board-certified orthopaedic surgeon and a leader in sports medicine and the latest methods of foot and ankle care. Since he began practicing medicine in 2000, he has helped thousands of patients enjoy greater comfort and flexibility. Dr. Esway specializes in an array of minimially-invasive procedures. When compared to traditional surgical procedures, these techniques can produce superior results, including less scarring, reduced swelling, less pain, quicker recoveries and reduced chance of infection. As an undergraduate at Harvard University, Dr. Jan-Eric Esway majored in biology and graduated cum laude. He continued his education at the University of Pittsburgh's School of Medicine where he became a member of the prestigious Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society. After completing medical school, Dr. Esway completed a 5-year orthopaedic surgical residency at the University of Pittsburgh. As a resident, he studied under Dr. Freddie Fu, a world-renowned sports medicine surgeon, researcher and Pitt's head team physician. In addition, Dr. Fu was instrumental in developing the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) Sports Performance Complex, which is home to the Pittsburgh Steelers. Dr. Jan-Eric Esway has completed extensive training in a comprehensive selection of foot and ankle conditions. Following his residency at UPMC, Dr. Esway pursued a fellowship with Dr. Michael Shereff, who previously served as President of the American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society (AOFAS). During his fellowship, Dr. Esway also collaborated with Dr. Matison Boyer in writing several articles for peer-reviewed medical journals. Dr. Esway is an active diplomate of the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery. Like many orthopaedic surgeons, Dr. Jan-Eric Esway was an avid athlete. He was a Junior National Champion swimmer and record-holder, which was recognized by Sports Illustrated. In addition, Dr. Esway was elected captain of Harvard's varsity swim team and received the Harold S. Ulen Award for leadership, sportsmanship and teamwork. Dr. Esway is an ardent sports fan. He is most passionate about the Pittsburgh Steelers, Pittsburgh Penguins and the University of Pittsburgh's Panthers. In his spare time, he also enjoys fly fishing, travelling and spending time with his family.

4701 Spotsylvania Pkwy Ste 203

Fredericksburg, VA 22407

Dr. Jan-Eric Esway, MD

• Southern Health Services (Coventry Health Care)
  • Worker's Compensation

Learn about Dr. Esway

Dr. Esway recently formed Ortho1, an Orthopaedic practice "where patients always come first!" Dr. Esway and his team believe that optimal patient care begins and ends with attentive, one-on-one treatment, and he provides each individual with personalized service.

A board-certified fellowship-trained orthopaedic surgeon, Dr. Jan-Eric Esway is highly experienced in the most advanced sports medicine, foot, and ankle treatments available.  He graduated cum laude from Harvard University and earned his medical degree from the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, where he was elected to the Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Honor Society. Dr. Esway then completed a five-year orthopaedic surgical residency at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, followed by a fellowship under the guidance of the past President of the American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society, Dr. Michael Shereff. Dr. Esway became a Diplomate for the America Board of Orthopaedic Surgery in July, 2017.

Dr. Esway's Experience

Dr. Esway's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

• Internal Derangement of Knee
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Fracture
  • Knee Sprain
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Ligament Tears

• Foot and Ankle Fracture Treatment, Open
  • Foot and Ankle Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
  • Foot and Ankle Ligament and Tendon Repair
  • Foot and Ankle Surgery
  • Fracture Open Reduction and Internal Fixation (ORIF)
  • Fracture and-or Dislocation Treatment
  • Sports Medicine Related Procedures
  • Sports Medicine Surgery
  • Tendon Repair
  • Tendon Surgery

No malpractice history found for Virginia.

1 Board Action
  • Professional Misconduct (2/5/2013)
    Action Taken: Release from Prior Order
    Summary: Please reference the following Document
    Documentation: Download here (PDF)
    State: Virginia

• Harvard
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1995
  • University Of Pittsburgh School Of Medicine
    Medical School | Graduated 2000
  • University Of Pittsburgh Medical Center (Upmc)
    Internship Hospital | Completed 2001
  • University Of Pittsburgh Medical Center (Upmc)
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2005
  • Medical University Of South Carolina
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2006

Dr. Esway has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. Esway does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Esway and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Esway's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Esway to family and friends
4.4
Dr. Esway's Performance
in Richmond, VA |
Dr. Esway spent quality time with me to determine the root causes of my running injuries. In less than one hour he determined my back was curved (scoliosis) and that I had a leg length discrepancy which was causing weaknesses on one side of my body. Dr. Esway explained that all of my current and previous injuries are related and discussed options to rehabilitate and manage the problems moving forward. I was clearly involved in the process, treated like a real person, and can't thank him enough.
in Fredericksburg VA |
Dr Esway was the first orthopedist I'd ever seen for a foot issue though I've seen plenty for other issues. Dr Esway is young and has spoken to me about his views on medicine and it was reassuring to hear his optimism. He is extremely professional and knowledgeable yet speaks in terms I can understand. He treated me as the patient and understood my work obligations and assured me I'd be back to health in no time. Truly the best doctor in general I've ever seen. Wish I was allowed more letters.
in Fredericksburg, VA |
Over a period of 10 years I'd seen 4 different Drs, each told me I had achilles tendonitis, the pain I was feeling was something I would have to live with and then they would send me to physical therapy. I got to the point I could barely walk. I was referred to Dr. Esway and after looking at my xray and MRI he saw the problem. I had Haglunds Deformaty. The MRI it showed the bone had frayed my achilles tendon. I had to have surgery and now I"m walking with no pain at all. He's an amazing Dr!!
Fredericksburg, VA |
After tearing ligaments and fracturing my ankle, I quickly sought out orthopaedic care. Due to the complexity of my injury, I made appointments with several surgeons in the area. As soon as I called Dr. Esway's office, I was immediately impressed with the care that I received from the entire staff. They fit me in right away and took exceptional care in diagnosing my injury and creating a treatment plan. Dr. Esway is very skilled and knowledgeable regarding new approaches to ankle reconstruct
in Fredericksburg, VA |
Dr. Esway performed my son's knee surgery. From the moment he began treatment to the final followup appointment, he always demonstrated skill, expertise and a genuine commitment to my son's well-being. As an athlete himself, he understood the implications of my son's injury, which made me and my son more comfortable. He was always accessible for every question and it was obvious that my son's full recovery was his main concern. I recommend his services with absolutely no hesitation.
in Fredericksburg, VA |
Dr Esway, Laura and Susan offer the individual attention, warmth and caring that is hard to find! Dr Esway listens carefully in a relaxed, no rush manner. His expertise in diagnosis and care is superior. I am a total wimp when it comes to injections but he administered a cortisone shot in my foot that felt like a tiny pinch! If you are looking for an orthopedic practice that is people rented, smart and efficient ...Dr Esway and staff is your choice.
in Fredericksburg, VA |
Dr. Essway repaired my heel that was in 20+ pieces. I was very pleased with his work as well as his responsiveness, attentiveness and patience through the entire process. He was very thorough in his explanations. Highly recommend!!
I saw Dr. Esway for extreme pain in my knee. I got an appointment right away and when I showed up early, I couldn't believe the doctor saw me early. I immediately felt comfortable with his bedside manner. He examined my knee and explained why I might be having so much pain. Unlike other doctors, he gave me options about treatment. I was so impressed with his staff, professionalism, knowledge, kindness and excellent care and would highly recommend him to anyone in need of orthopedic care
in Washington, DC |
Dr. Esway is a superior orthopedic doctor. He is that rare combination of knowledge, persistence and generosity of spirit. He's the one you want to go to and be assured he is working harder for you and the best outcome than the majority of the many many doctors I have been a patient of. His focus is extraordinary; he listens and solves. It is immediately apparent that he is very smart, but his approach is well considered, practical, and down to earth. In my personal case, I believe he saved m
in Fredericksburg, VA |
I would like to say I honestly feel I would not be walking without Dr. Esway. I saw him at the lowest point in my life when a previous ankle surgery had failed. He not only understood what was going on and assured me it was fixable, he was compasonate. I am so glad he came to the Fredericksburg area, not sure where I would be today without him. He performed surgery on my ankle in 4/2016 and gave me the best care I have ever had. Thank you Dr. Esway for taking such awesome care of me.
in Bowling Green, Va |
I am extremely pleased to recommend Dr. Esway. His caring manner and thorough review of my fractured ankle was above and beyond my experience with the vast majority of Doctors I have known in my 25 years as a Registered Nurse. He took the time to review my x-ray after a long surgery and went back to his office to apply a cast. This was all on a Friday afternoon! The office staff (Anita) stayed an extra 3 hours! My follow up appointments have also been just as wonderful!!!
Midlothian, VA |
See another doctor!!!!!! I had to have below knee amputation due to a bad bone infection. Got a second opinion was on operating table in a week. His office never called me to see why I wasn't coming in for a office visits. You would think that a patient that was pain medication and with a swollen foot that couldn't move and it was turing a dark read would call you. My second opinion orthopedic surgery saved my life. He was so upset that he couldn't believe it!!
Have you seen Dr. Jan-Eric Esway, MD?
Are you Dr. Esway?

Visit Dr. Esway

Dr. Esway accepts 9 insurance carriers
    Choice PPO
    Carelink PPO
  • Southern Health Services (Coventry Health Care)
    Southern Health Services (Coventry Health Care) HMO