Joint Replacement Orthopedic Surgery  |
Dr. James Van Horne, MD
Dr. James Van Horne, MD is a joint replacement orthopedic surgery doctor who practices in Grants Pass, OR. He is 57 years old and has been practicing for 27 years. Dr. Van Horne is affiliated with Asante Three Rivers Medical Center.

Paragon Orthopedic Center

• Providence Health Plans
  • Regence Blue Cross Blue Shield

Learn about Dr. Van Horne

Dr. Van Horne's Experience

Dr. Van Horne's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Joint Replacement Orthopedic Surgery

• Partial Knee Replacement
  • Total Hip Replacement
  • Total Knee Replacement
  • Uni-Compartmental Knee Replacement

No malpractice history found for Oregon.

• University Of California At Berkeley
  • Albany Med Ctr
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1996
  • Harvard/Bwh
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1997

Dr. Van Horne has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Van Horne does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Van Horne and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Van Horne's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Van Horne to family and friends
Dr. Van Horne's Performance
in Grants Pass, Oregon |
Dr. Van Horne gave me a full knee replacement 9 weeks ago today and I am completely impressed with him and also his office staff. He gave me a printout of what to expect and also one on after the procedure which was priceless and thorough to the limit....He covered everything so that I was very comfortable. The surgery was a huge success because he guided me on everything I had to do and if any questions came up, his office staff was amazing. Dr. Van Horne is the best choice!!!
in Grants Pass, OR |
Excellent doctor! My husband had hip replacement 8 weeks ago and is doing great! Just remember to follow Dr. Van Horne's pre-op and post-op instructions, and your success rate will be high! He is a special person, has impeccable bedside manner, and is kind and caring. We would highly recommend him to anyone considering knee or hip replacement.
in Medford, OR |
The care received from Dr. Van Horne and Paragon Orthopedics was personal, professional and very thorough. Every step of the process of surgery is explained in clear and concise terms that eases the anxiety of surgery and enables the patient to be proactive in his/her own recovery and rehabilitation because EVERYTHING is spelled out ahead of time so there are no surprises.
in Brookings, OR |
Excellent pre-op, op, and post op. If you follow the guidelines to prepare for surgery, you will have excellent results. I had THR at 8:30 and left the hospital at 2. Checked back at 4 weeks and 8 weeks and now won't have to check back for 2 years. I highly recommend Dr. Van Horne and his "regiment".
in Roseburg, OR |
Dr. Matthew Heinrich in Austin, Texas referred me to Dr. Van Horne when I told him I was moving to So. OR. Dr. Heinrich's reputation is top notch. Nurses in the hospital told me I was very lucky to have him as a surgeon. Dr. Van Horne's receptionist was abrupt and rude when I tried to make an appointment. "Do you have a written referral and all your medical records?" she asked? Dr. Van Horne has high standards. He may not accept your doctor's work. Wow, was not expecting that.
in White City, Or |
Dr. Van Horne is the best he tells you everything you need to know and do. He tells you he does 5% and you do 95% and you will do just fine. You have to do the work to get better. My husband has had both of his knees replaced he is doing great. We are very happy with the results. Dr. Van Horne is a very caring doctor. We will tell anyone that needs their knees or hip replaced to go see him. Derrell and Edie Williamson
in Medford, OR |
Dr. Van Horne is a phenomenal doctor and his skills as a surgeon are superior! He also goes to great lengths to educate his patients with step-by-step descriptions and instructions for them to follow, so that they know exactly what to expect. I found his attention to detail and awareness of questions/concerns that patients may have to be impressive! His staff also provides exceptional patient service. After having multiple surgeries, Dr. Van Horne is, by far, the best surgeon I have ever had!
in Cave Junction, OR |
I can't say enough about Dr Van Horne. My knee bowed out about 4 inches with every step I took. It was very painful. Plus my lower leg was badly bent due to bad healing from a Motor Cycle accident when I was 15 years old. I had zero cartilage and never thought anyone could fix such an advanced problem. Right now, 3 years later, my left knee is the only place in my body that is absolutely pain free. I limped terribly and walked with a cane for 20 years and now I walk perfectly normal.
in Ashland, OR |
From the first consultation to the surgery (THR) to the follow-up appointments, the entire experience was top-notch. Dr. Van Horne's pre-and-post-surgery exercise regimen is very tough, but if you follow it the T, you will have as good an outcome as I did! His staff is lovely, the surgery center is terrific, and Dr. V. is a kind and funny man, unlike a lot of docs who have crummy bedside manners.
Grants Pass, OR |
Dr. Van Horne has replaced my knee and my hip. I have found that if you follow his very clear written directions you will have a great result. Exercise is the key to success!! Make sure you go to physical therapy pre and post surgery and do your home exercises!!
in Winston, Oregon |
I was extremely pleased with Dr. Van Horne. I am a retired nurse so I am not easily impressed. It would be very difficult to fail if you follow all the guidelines that he and his staff provide you. I walked 1 hr. a day before surgery and did all of the prescribed exercises. I know that following his plan coupled with the expertise of Dr. Van Horne was the reason that I did so well. His instructions to my coach, Jim, empowered my husband to provide for me after surgery. Thank you.
in Grants Pass, OR |
Caring, compassionate and thorough. Dr. Van Horne did my first hip replacement 2/2016 and my wife's 1/2011. I'm having my second hip done next week. Cannot say enough about how wonderful this doctor and his entire staff are, from the clinic to the surgery center. I would recommend him without reservation!
in Grants Pass, OR |
Dr. James Van Horne is by far the best orthopedic surgeon in this country. What's more impressive is he is a remarkable and compassionate human! I have had 2 total knee replacements by him and I can't say enough about how great I now feel. He gave me my life and my hope back. I was out of surgery the same day and completely out of pain within a week. Yes, he requires that you do daily exercises prior to the surgery, but it works if you need to recover so quickly! I love him!
in Canyonville, OR |
Dr Jim is the best doctor I have ever had. He did both knee replacements and just did a hip replacement for my best friend. He is awesome and I would not go any where else.
in Grants Pass, OR |
Dr. Van Horne knows his stuff...Really...From his pre surgery instructions, surgery, and post surgery care and instructions he is spot on!!! The key here is movement. Do the exercises, walk, listen to your body! Now I may not have done all exercises etc. to the full extent but I did do them consistently! The same thing was true of a previous procedure...Walking is the key...it aides in your body doing its job. It also helps mentally! Walk! Thanks Dr. Van Horne and staff...you are the best!
in Brookings, OR |
Dr. Van Horne has a positive, upbeat attitude and a great bed side manner. He was very thorough in explaining the procedure, what could be expected after surgery and what my part would be after the hip surgery. He has written pre surgery and post surgery instructions that cover everything, he leaves nothing to chance. We play a huge part in our recovery process and he is adament that we follow the instructions that he has lined out. I think he did an excellent job on my hip replacement.
in Grants Pass, OR |
What a wonderful experience with Dr. Van Horne's program. I had a knee replacement 2 years ago with another doctor, and it did not go well at all. Just 7 weeks ago Dr. Van Horne replaced my other knee and I am almost back to normal. His program is laid out for you and if you follow it you will have the best out come ever. His instructions are very clear and easy to follow, so going in this time was like night and day. His entire staff at his office and at the Surgery Center are top notch.
Rogue River |
I consider Dr. Van Horne to have an excellent presentation of pre- and post-operative materials to follow in the entire process of anterior total hip replacement surgery which he did for me. By following his outline (extremely explanatory) and doing the things he urges you to do, my outcome has been all I could wish for in all areas. The Paragon Orthopedic Center (Dr. Van Horne's group) is there for you in all ways, and Dr. Van Horne is totally accessible and a very empathetic person. AAAA+.
in Grants Pass, OR |
Excellent and positive experiences from before my hip replacements (both replaced 8 weeks apart) to where I am now (2 months post op - second hip replacement & 4 months post op from the first). Dr. Van Horne is kind and generous with his time, answering all your questions and encouraging you to follow his advice regarding exercises, personal care, and walking before and after surgery. I am already walking 5 miles and day totally pain free! His staff is great! Dr. Van Horne is the BEST!!!!!!!
in Klamath Falls, OR |
I am a 75yr. old male and within the last six months I have had both hips replaced by Dr. Van Horne. His instructions regarding exercise, walking, pain control, swelling control, and infection control are by far the most detailed and comprehensive available. And if you follow them, your hip replacement[s] will be as successful and pain-free as were mine. My leg lengths ended up within 1mm of each other! My walking stride and pace is back to normal. The staff was always very helpful and friendly
in Crescent City, CA |
Followed Dr. Van Horne's instructions of pre-operative preparation and now nine weeks out after full right knee replacement am walking normally. Will have left knee done in October after my husband and I spend a month walking around Europe in July and August. This operation greatly increased the quality of my life.
in Grants Pass, OR |
Best Doctor ever. My hip replacement went so smoothly and I know it was due to the wonderful care that Dr. Van Horne and his staff gave me from beginning to end. Was back to work in 10 days. Was off pain meds in 3 days. Will have my other hip replacement in Sept. Looking forward to getting my life back pain free. Chris Grants Pass
in Grants Pass, OR |
My husband had hip replacement surgery. Easiest surgery I have been thru with him. Dr. Van Horn is very specific in what he wants. You need to exercise, walk every day, eat healthy. He has written things down that you need to read and refer back to if needed. Office staff is always very friendly and considerate. Dr. Van Horn will sit there and answer questions until you are satisfied with all answers. Remember walk and exercise you will be so pleased with the results.
in Brookings, OR |
Dr vanhorn wants you the patient to have the very best chance fora successful hip replacement. And if you follow his advice you will. I know
in Merlin, OR |
I had a knee replacement and it is outstanding. Dr. Van Horne is very good at explaining the procedure and what you have to do a get complete recovery. He put everything in writing and communicates changes as they happen. His staff is very good at communicating and helping you with questions. I am very satisfied and I am having my other knee done.
in Grants Pass, OR |
Dr. Van Horne is not only extremely skilled, he is very kind and caring as well. He has very set protocols for patients to follow and if you do so, you will have a great outcome. I was pretty lazy, bad eating habits, didn't exercise or take good care of myself. My knees were extremely painful. I had difficulty walking, steps were nearly impossible, driving was painful and I feared I was headed for a wheel chair. I followed Dr. Van Horne's protocols and truly do have my life back,
in Medford, Oregon |
Two months ago I had my second total knee replacement by Dr. Van Horne. I am already able to walk 2 to 3 miles a day. Not only is he the best orthopedic surgeon but the amount of time that he spends with you is unheard of. I have been to other orthopedic surgeons in the a Rogue Valley. All of them made me feel like I was part of a cattle call. You were lucky if you spent five minutes with them. Follow his exercise routine and your outcome will be amazing.
in Grants Pass, OR |
I just had A new hip replacement about 7 weeks ago. I can't believe how well I'm doing now. I unloaded A ton of hay just after 6 weeks of my surgery. The secret is to do all exercises he tells you to do both prior and after surgery.
in Brookings, OR |
In Nov. of 2015 I had a total hip replacement. Dr. Van Horne and all of his staff were so wonderful. My experience throughout the whole process could not have been better. I have not had any pain at any time after surgery. I did follow his instructions precisely, before and after the surgery. I believe that helps very much. I am so thankful and cannot say enough good things about Dr. Van Horne and his staff.
in Grants Pass, OR |
Dr. VanHorne knew my name, he really knew and used my name. I got the impression I was his only patient that morning but of course I wasn't. He is a hugger, because he cares. He took time that morning to talk to my husband, and make him feel at ease, If you take his advice, you to will be up and back to normal like me in no time. I feel wonderful, and my friends tell me I look so much better now. I guess my face was showing my hip pain. At least go and talk to his wonderful staff. Karen Zoufa
in Gold Hill, OR |
Dr. Van Horne's pre surgery suggested preparation is excellent. The pre and post surgery exercise routine is excellent. Your chance of a successful recovery is greatly enhanced by following his patient plan. The pre surgery pain trial was also a success. He was able to dial in the amount of narcotic pain meds to my needs. It worked.
in Merlin, OR |
De VanHorne is very professional, but more important, he is very personable. My husband and I liked him the first time we met with him and had the greatest confidence in him; which was not misplaced. I would recommend Dr VanHorne to anyone contemplating orthopedic surgery. He has replaced both of my knees and I have had excellent results.
Have you seen Dr. James Van Horne, MD?
Are you Dr. Van Horne?