Dr. James Payton, MD

Child & Adolescent Psychiatry | Male

Dr. James Payton, MD

Hello, I am Jim Payton and I have been helping children, adolescents and their families, as well as adults, for over 30 years. I received my medical degree, general psychiatry residency and child [and adolescent] psychiatry fellowship at the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine. At that time, it was the number one ranked medical school in the United States.

...See Less

Dr. Payton's Care Philosophy

I believe that to help my patients, I must have a good understanding of the stresses in their lives, so that together we can decide about whether medications [carefully selected and adjusted with input from my patients] are indicated along with a specific plan of how to improve coping skills. I work with my patients to help them increase their self-awareness and self-confidence so that they might experience a sense of fulfillment and happiness. I am offering a wellness plan for each person who allows us to help them. This wellness plan will indicate my recommendations for the frequency of our meetings together and the amount of time for each appointment. My expectation for each of you is that you will have significant relief from your symptoms within three months. I will also work very hard with you to help you decrease your stress level to a much more manageable level. I believe that allowing me to help you is making an investment in your health and wellness.

Dr. Payton's Experience

See how Dr. Payton's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Payton

Dr. Payton accepts 1 insurance carrier

Dr. Payton is now accepting new patients

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Payton has admitting privileges.

Dr. Payton's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Payton to family and friends
3.3
Dr. Payton's Performance
in Newport, TN |
This is the most amazing wisest calmest most spiritual and witty man I have ever met outside of my own Father.He is warm, engaging, not just hears your but listens to you. He is encouraging, compassionate, uplifting and light-hearted. Call him and start your new life today!!!!!!!
Asheville, NC |
Dr. Payton has gone above and beyond to provide me with the most effective care possible for my mental illness. I have been a patient of his since 1999. I have recommended him to other people in Asheville because I know that they would certainly receive the best care possible from him.
Have you seen Dr. James Payton, MD?
Are you Dr. Payton?

Compare Dr. Payton

Dr. Payton says...

Hello, I am Jim Payton and I have been helping children, adolescents and their families, as well as adults, for over 30 years.  I received my medical degree, general psychiatry residency and child [and adolescent] psychiatry fellowship at the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine.  At that time, it was the number one ranked medical school in the United States.

Dr. Payton's Care Philosophy

I believe that to help my patients, I must have a good understanding of the stresses in their lives, so that together we can decide about whether medications [carefully selected and adjusted with input from my patients] are indicated along with a specific plan of how to improve coping skills.  I work with my patients to help them increase their self-awareness and self-confidence so that they might experience a sense of fulfillment and happiness.

I am offering a wellness plan for each person who allows us to help them. This wellness plan will indicate my recommendations for the frequency of our meetings together and the amount of time for each appointment. My expectation for each of you is that you will have significant relief from your symptoms within three months.  I will also work very hard with you to help you decrease your stress level to a much more manageable level.  I believe that allowing me to help you is making an investment in your health and wellness.

Dr. Payton says...

• I am board certified [by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology] in Psychiatry and Child Psychiatry.
  • I have been honored as a Distinguished Fellow by the American Psychiatric Association and the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry.  Becoming a Distinguished Fellow recognizes my excellence in clinical skills and research.
  • I have published studies related to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder [ADHD],
  • Autistic Spectrum Disorders
  • Young children's response to the death of a parent.
  • I have given presentations at national meetings in psychiatry
  • I have given presentations at national meetings child psychiatry and
  • I have given presentations at national meetings neurology.

For the past 20 years, I have focused my work on helping children, adolescents and adults who have:

• mood disorders [mostly involving mood swings and poor responses to antidepressants];
  • Post Traumatic Stress Disorder [PTSD];
  • Other chronic stress disorders;
  • Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder [ADHD].

I have had a lot of success helping my patients with medications and also have had excellent responses helping my patients to lower their stress levels and significantly improve the quality of their lives.

After more than 25 years treating children and adolescents on inpatient units, most recently on the Copestone Child and Adolescent Inpatient Programs at the St. Joseph Campus of Mission Hospitals, I have stopped so that I can devote more time to my office practice and to my writing.

Dr. Payton's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
  •  Board certified in Child Psychiatry and Psychiatry

Dr. Payton has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for North Carolina.

Why It Matters: Dr. Payton's Board Certifications

• Child Psychiatry
  • Psychiatry

• ADHD and-or ADD
  • Adult Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
  • Autism Spectrum Disorders
  • Bipolar Disorder
  • Depressive Disorders
  • Dysthymia and Cyclothymia (Mood Disorders)
  • Mood Disorders
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)

University Of Cincinnati College Of Medicine

Graduated in 1973

Completed in 1975

Completed in 1977

University Of Miami / School Of Medicine

Graduated in 1969

Dr. Payton does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Payton and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Child & Adolescent Psychiatry