Dr. James Payton, MD

Dr. James Payton, MD

Child & Adolescent PsychiatryMale

Child & Adolescent Psychiatry

Dr. James Payton, MD is a Child & Adolescent Psychiatry Specialist in Asheville, NC. He is affiliated with Mission Hospital. His office is not accepting new patients.

Biggers Dr. Betsy

Biggers Dr. Betsy64 Merrimon Ave Asheville, NC 28801

• Practices at Top Hospital America's 250 Best Hospitals Award™ See hospitals

Dr. Payton's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Payton

3.2

Dr. Payton

Dedicated Compassionate and Brilliant.
it has been a while, and providing quality health care has never been more of a challenge for providers. Let's just say that I have ever had a psychiatrist more committed to helping me, or that possessed Dr. Payton's acumen with the use of pharmacotherapy. look at his reviews, on the other sites...pretty much 5 of 5 stars. His current and past patients love him, and remember him fondly for a reason. He has his detractors, but if you look closely at his supporters and what he has managed to accomplish over the past 20 years, you should get a clearer picture of this esteemed physician. He used to have a tendency to want to make multiple medication adjustments. But, he also takes the time to listen and respects the patient's experience. Make sure to communicate as many important details about your symptoms and treatment history as possible. And in the event he wants to make radical changes, I would say relax and go with it. Few Psychiatrist are capable of pulling this off...He is
Dan Edwards – May 16, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Payton, MD?
On my first visit, I told him “Under no circumstances can you give me benzodiazepines”. Those were my exact words. After subsequent visits he insists that the class of drugs I’ve told him do not mix well in my system, is the one answer for me. I debated this passionately but considering the depths of depression I was experiencing and his level of insistence, I gave in deferring to his years of experience. Within a short period of time, I was given prescriptions totaling 1200 pills. That’s a minimum of 3 pills per day if spaced out over a year. I can’t recall at this moment exactly how long I was under his care but I’m certain it was less than a year. This is enough to begin to skew your judgement and develop an unwanted, unseen, physical addiction. Going through the detoxification process was extremely painful physically and emotionally and was one of the worst things I’ve ever experienced. I’m lucky to be alive.
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Feb 26, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Payton, MD?
Nice person, compassionate. I just have to go in and explain how I'm feeling and the doctor listens, he respects me as a person. He will write prescriptions and give me holistic options I can just get at a grocery store. I'm glad I found him. I feel like I've gotten my life back.
Jul 31, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Payton, MD?
I went to Doctor Payton for over two years and really liked him, but he kept giving me several prescriptions that lead me to feel even more depressed. I went to my primary physician she wanted to know what I was taking, and her words where he has got you on uppers and downers, like the Valley Of The Dolls. I am off of all but one med that helps me sleep, and are doing much better now.
  • Didn't explain conditions well
I trusted Doctor Payton for a long while, but my m – Jul 28, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Payton, MD?
I tried to see Dr. Payton as a new patient today but after waiting 25 m past my appointed time I just gave up and left. No other psychiatrist or therapist has ever kept me waiting more than 10 m. I now see from the other reviews that this is pretty typical for this doctor. If I had known that I might have been more prepared for it, also I would not have unnecessarily arrived 30 m before the appointment (as instructed) which brought the total wait to an hour. Overall I get the impression that this entire practice lacks professionalism.
Feb 05, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Payton, MD?
I left a statement about Dr. Payton and staff and intended on give them the highest ratings possible. So that's why I'm leaving the message. And Thank You Dr. Payton for helping my husband and giving a real chance at have a happy life. Your wonderful.??
Donna Culbertson – Jul 25, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Payton, MD?
This is the most amazing wisest calmest most spiritual and witty man I have ever met outside of my own Father.He is warm, engaging, not just hears your but listens to you. He is encouraging, compassionate, uplifting and light-hearted. Call him and start your new life today!!!!!!!
Karyn Newsome in Newport, TN – Jan 17, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Payton, MD?
Dr. Payton has gone above and beyond to provide me with the most effective care possible for my mental illness. I have been a patient of his since 1999. I have recommended him to other people in Asheville because I know that they would certainly receive the best care possible from him.
Asheville, NC – Oct 25, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Payton, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Payton?