Dr. James Parker, MD

Colorectal Surgery •  Male • Age 46

Dr. Parker

Middlesex Health Surgical Alliance, Middletown, CT

540 Saybrook Rd Ste 100 Middletown, CT 06457

Dr. James Parker, MD is a Colorectal Surgery Specialist in Middletown, CT. Dr. Parker has more experience with Colorectal Surgery than other specialists in his area. He is affiliated with Middlesex Hospital. He is accepting new patients. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Parker to book an appointment.

Compare Providers

Quickly compare more Colorectal Surgery Specialists in your area

See similar Colorectal Surgery Specialists in Middletown

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Hospital Satisfaction
  • Practices at Top Hospital
    Gastrointestinal Care Excellence Award™ See hospitals

Dr. Parker accepts most major insurance plans.

Dr. Parker has indicated that he accepts most major insurance carriers

(860) 358-2850Find providers who accept this insurance

No malpractice claims found for Connecticut

Colorectal Surgery

Colorectal surgery treats conditions affecting the colon and rectum, including colorectal cancer, inflammatory bowel disease, diverticulitis and hemorrhoids, through procedures such as tumor removal, colectomy, colostomy and resection.

Typically treats 57% more than similar doctors

Colon and Rectal Surgery

Dr. Parker performs Colon and Rectal Surgery more than 78% of their peers

Dr. Parker performs this procedure more than 78% of their peers

Hemorrhoidectomy or Excision of Anal Tags

Dr. Parker performs Hemorrhoidectomy or Excision of Anal Tags more than 78% of their peers

Dr. Parker performs this procedure more than 78% of their peers

• Cyst Incision and Drainage
  • Cystectomy
  • da Vinci® Robotic Surgery
  • Destruction of Anal Tumor
  • Enterostomy (Laparoscopic or Open)
  • Excision of Rectal Tumor
  • Minimally Invasive Surgery
  • Neuroendocrine Tumors
  • Open Incisional and-or Ventral Hernia Repair
  • Port Placements or Replacements
  • Proctectomy, Open or Laparoscopic (incl. Swenson and Duhamel Procedures)
  • Proctosigmoidopexy With Robotic Assistance

Dr. Parker's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Parker

1.2195121951219512%

Dr. Parker?
  • Explained conditions well (75)
  • Trusted the provider's decisions (75)
  • Appointment wasn't rushed (74)
  • Long wait times (66)
  • Appointment was rushed (1)
  • Didn't explain conditions well (1)
When I was researching for a surgeon trained in inguinal hernia repair, I found videos on Dr. Parker’s website which acted as a great introduction to him. I e-mailed him with a question, and he responded promptly. His office staff was very responsive in scheduling the consultation and following surgery. I found Dr. Parker extremely easy to speak with, very down-to-earth and committed to providing a positive patient experience. He explained the procedure and answered all my questions. The surgery went just as well as he promised, with almost no recoup time. I was back to normal almost the next day. When I e-mailed him with a post-surgery question, he actually called me right back (and it was on a Sunday!). I highly recommend Dr. Parker, and consider myself very fortunate to have found him.
Bob K- East Hampton, CT – Jun 17, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Parker, MD?
Hands down one of the best Doctors that I have ever be treated by. Dr. Parker was kind, funny, down to earth, knowledgeable, easily reachable, and most importantly confident in his craft. I had a hemorrhoid procedure done with Dr. Parker in February 2020. I had battled them for years but was very reluctant about getting surgery for them due to all of the negatives that I had heard. By no means was the procedure fun, however, I played it up way more than it was in my head. The first few days are uncomfortable, but nothing that you can’t get through. The fear of going to the bathroom for the first time post-op is much scarier than it actually was. I was back to work at a strenuous job in 5 days and back to the gym in 10 days. I can now go to the bathroom and feel like a normal person for the first time in 10 years. I truly can’t say enough good things about Dr. Parker and his surgical staff. They made an embarrassing procedure for me very comfortable and normal.
Mark M. -Middletown – Mar 12, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Parker, MD?
Dr. Parker is an excellent surgeon with great bedside manners. He is very attentive, always listened, and responded to any questions, problems or concerns that I had. I would highly recommend him.
Michele H. – Feb 06, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Parker, MD?
Dr Parker performed emergency surgery on me. He went in without being able to know exactly what was wrong and had to rely on his judgement to make the right decision that saved my life. I was later told several times how lucky I was that he was on call when I needed him. I'm not sure, but I think I would have chosen him if I had had a choice because although he hasn't been in practice long, he has done some prestigious fellowships and has had many hours of colorectal surgery experience despite his age. I believe I really did get lucky that night.
  • Appointment was rushed
Arline Edmonds – Feb 01, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Parker, MD?
One of the most caring doctors I have ever known. Tremendous follow-up. Very thorough. I would recommend him without hesitation.
A. Gargano – Jan 31, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Parker, MD?
I had a combination of problems related to diverticulitis, which led to to checking into Middlesex Hospital. I wound up working with Dr. Parker for the short term situation and chose to keep working with him with follow up colonoscopy and a sigmoid colectomy (removal of the s-shaped chunk of colon.) Dr. Parker was at all times friendly and professional, kept me informed about what was needed and why, and always made sure to speak in understandable terms. There were several points where unrelated issues complicated things, and he personally called me a few times to make sure that I understood what was going on and that I knew that he was taking care of things. He gave me several options as to how I best wanted to handle treatment and procedures. I’m rather suspect of a lot of doctors, and have at times felt more like a problem to be solved or a source of income, but throughout this all, I felt a compassionate and competent connection with Dr. Parker.
Rich M, Middletown – Jan 24, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Parker, MD?
My husband has had extreme pain "down below" for a very long time. His PCP gave him creams and medication with no results. Then he referred my husband to Dr. Parker. While it took a while to get his initial visit being a "new" patient, once Dr. Parker saw my husband, it was all systems go! He did immediate surgery and within 2 weeks of healing, he is a new man!! Dr. Parker literally changed our lives. His skilled surgeon skills, compassion, humor and listening capabilities make him a Doctor like no other. Worth the wait in gold! My husband says the Doctor has a halo and that we will name our next dog Parker. Haha...He literally changed our lives! Highly recommend is not even enough. You are lucky if Dr. Parker is your surgeon
DeFelice family – Oct 11, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Parker, MD?
My experience with Dr. Parker and his staff was excellent. I couldn't ask for a better team to perform the surgery! I highly recommend Dr. Parker!
Eric – Aug 18, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Parker, MD?
Excellent doctor. Went in for colonoscopy and hernia repair. Dr. Parker explained both procedures well. Both visits went off with no issues, and his follow up was great. I recommend him highly! Very professional, and easy to talk to. Spent time answering questions and discussing options.
May 25, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Parker, MD?
Dr Parker is a surgical rock star! I had a difficult diverticulitis surgery which took eight hours and am now fully recovered. I highly recommend his services.
Apr 04, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Parker, MD?
I had a bad experience with another dr. Dr Parker was wonderful. He was thorough with the exam, and I had ZERO pain when he removed the cyst. He and the nurse that assisted talked to me thru out the procedure, putting me at ease! I highly suggest this dr. And if hes busy, I suggest to wait for him. He is worth the wait! Rebecca Beschel Higganum, CT
Mar 13, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Parker, MD?
I elected to have sigmoid colectomy surgery due to recurrences I was having of diverticulitis. Dr. Parker had no problem helping me and understood I was pressed for time due to starting nursing school in a couple of months. He explained the procedure and within two weeks I went in for the surgery. Dr. Parker's down-to-earth, friendly personality combined with his expertise made him the perfect choice. I feel great post-surgery and couldn't be happier. I highly recommend Dr. Parker!!
Pamela H. Bugbee in East Hampton, CT – Dec 13, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Parker, MD?
DR.RUBIN HIRSCH my primary doctor recommended that I see a DR MICHAEL PARKER. I had severe bleeding hemorrhoids.DR PARKER was very easy to talk to. He examined me and suggested P.T. as a first step.I went for a while and it did not get any better. HE then suggested surgery.He assured me that that everything would be O.K. HE operated on me AUG 27 and 2 weeks later I felt a lot better.Thanks to DR PARKER for a job well done.
ELOISE S. in MIDDLETOWN, CT – Aug 23, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Parker, MD?
Dr. Parker is an excellent surgeon. He genuinely cares for the well being of his patients and makes every effort to keep the family involved and informed. In addition to his professionalism he is also truly a great person.
Gary F in CT – Aug 14, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Parker, MD?
Dr Parker explained the alternatives in treatment for my hernia, listened to me and my "keeper" (inside joke), I did not feel rushed at all. I was asked if I wanted a meeting with the gas passer as well; all bases were covered. The surgery, for my 5th hernia in 63 years, was entirely successful, I feel, and I would recommend Dr Parker without reservation. Thanks Doc!
Dan in CT – Mar 02, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Parker, MD?
I cannot say enough about Dr Parker's excellence. I had a colon resection, it was the easiest surgery I have ever been through. Dr Parker listens, answers questions and follows up with his patients. Having this surgery with Dr. Parker was the best decision, I feel better than I have in a long time
michele in Essex, CT – Jan 31, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Parker, MD?
Super Surgeon and all around nice guy. He performed a hernia operation on me and I was working out at full speed within a week. Highly recommended!
Jay Montmeat in Old Lyme, Ct – Jan 25, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Parker, MD?
Dr. Parker is a rockstar. A colorectal surgeon par excellence. Dr. Parker operated on me 12/14/17 - internal and external hemorrhoidectomy. I have had little serious pain. Two weeks later it's almost like I never had surgery... In the best possible way. Post-surgery follow up 1/8/18. From someone who's been there: Tylenol instead of opioids. Drink lots of water. MOM if needed.. Elevate your feet above your hips when doing your business. I think Dr. Parker is gifted surgeon who listens.
Jim T. in Middletown, Connecticut – Jan 02, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Parker, MD?
I went to Dr. Parker based upon his excellent reviews, with a very embarrassing problem with a bowel prolapse. It was the best thing I ever did. Dr. Parker was wonderful. He explained in detail the operation, and was so very pleasant and down to earth. He is an excellent surgeon, and completely eliminated my problem. I highly recommend Dr. Parker!
June – Nov 07, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Parker, MD?
The first time I met Dr. Parker, I knew he was the surgeon for me. I was scared but he listened and explained things so I could understand. He is personable and caring. He is passionate and very knowledgeable. I would absolutely recommend Dr. Parker to anyone who needs colorectal surgery.
Cheryl Kathe in Old Lyme – Nov 07, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Parker, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Parker?

What makes me different is my ability to communicate clearly with you and your physicians, to improve your experience and your outcomes. Technically speaking, I prefer minimally invasive approaches to colon and rectal disease and gastrointestinal disease to achieve curative outcomes, with optimal patient recovery.

• Colorectal Surgery

2005
Westchester Medical Center
1995
Hamilton College

• Top 5 of the Residents/Fellows Best Presentation Competition, World Congress of Endoscopic Surgery, 2010
  • Values Recognition Award, St. Vincent's Medical Center, Bridgeport, CT, 2007

• Predictors of outcome after obesity surgery in New York state from 1991 to 2003. Surg Endosc. 21(9):1482-1486, 2007,
  • Laparoscopic surgery performed through a single incision: A systematic review of the current literature. J Am Coll Surg. 212(1):113-118, 2011,
  • Transcervical Videoscopic Esophageal Dissection in Minimally Invasive Esophagectomy. Surg Endosc. 25(3): 941, 2011,
  • Comparing the effectiveness of endoscopic full-thickness plication and endoscopic radiofrequency treatments for patients with GERD. Expert Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 4(4):387-390, 2010,
  • Transcervical videoscopic esophageal dissection during two-field minimally invasive esophagectomy: early patient experience. Surg Endosc. 25(12):3865-3869, 2011,
  • Hiatal mesh is associated with major resection at revisional operation. Surg Endosc. 24(12):3095-3101, 2010,
  • Preliminary Experience and Development of an Algorithm for the Optimal Use of the Laparoscopic Component Separation Technique for Myofascial Advancement during Ventral Incisional Hernia Repair. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A. 21(5):405-410, 2011,
  • Pilot study on objective measurement of abdominal wall strength in patients with ventral incisional hernia. Surg Endosc. 25(11):3503-3508, 2011,
  • Surgeon's requirement for obesity reduction: its influence on weight loss. Am Surg. 78(3):325-328, 2012,
  • Natural Orifice Transluminal Endoscopic Surgery (NOTES): A Review Posted 03/21/2007; http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/553471,
Less...