Sports Medicine  |
Dr. James O Leary, MD
Dr. James O Leary, MD is a sports medicine doctor who practices in Columbia, SC. He is 50 years old and has been practicing for 24 years. Dr. O Leary is affiliated with Palmetto Health - Baptist.

1910 Blanding St

• HealthSmart
  • MedCost

Learn about Dr. O Leary

Dr. O Leary's Experience

Dr. O Leary's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Sports Medicine

• Knee Arthroscopy
  • Partial Knee Replacement
  • Total Knee Replacement
  • Total Shoulder Replacement

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for South Carolina.

• University Of Notre Dame
  • Duke University Mc
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1999
  • University Of Pittsburgh Medical Center
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2000

Dr. O Leary has no media or publications listed.

Dr. O Leary does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. O Leary and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. O Leary's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. O Leary to family and friends
Dr. O Leary's Performance
in Camden, SC |
My experience with Dr. O'Leary goes back to 2006 when he originally scoped both my knees and recently when he performed a total knee replacement. I was really skeptical about having a total knee replacement performed as an outpatient, Dr. O'Leary assured me he performs this weekly with outstanding results. I had my surgery on 10/13/2017 and am getting around much better now then before the surgery. His entire staff and the staff at Midlands Surgery Center was nothing less then OUTSTANDING!!!.
in Columbia, SC |
Dr. O'Leary addressed and resolved my medical needs adequately and professionally. I would highly recommend him to friends and family.
in Chapin, SC |
Dr O Leary is one of the kind, I just had a total knee replacement 8 weeks ago and I am able to walk with no limping, no pain and limitation. I feel so privileged and lucky that my primary doctor referred me to Dr O Leary. I recommend him with no reservation.
in Gilbert, SC |
I have Dr. O'Leary over the past 5 years for knee pain. This culminated in a total knee replacement recently. I couldn't be more pleased with my overall experience, but especially with my surgical outcome. Post op, I needed only OTC pain meds and, I was discharged from rehab early because I had reached my goals. I feel that a lot of this had to do with Dr. O'Leary's skill as an excellent surgeon.
in Irmo, SC |
I've been seeing Dr. O'Leary since early 2000 for various problems, and I have always been relieved of my pain, felt better after, and confident in his patience and knowledge. He's a jewel among physicians, and he's definitely made my life more bearable.
in Columbia, SC |
Great doctor. Fine surgeon. Did a reverse shoulder replacement on me six months ago. Little pain. Quick recovery.
in Cassatt, SC |
Dr O Leary and his staff made my surgery experience easy. I was informed of everything that was going to be done and all were very professional. Their actions made me feel relaxed and not treated like just another number. Continued contact after being released to make sure all was well is a plus. I would recommend considering this group for your surgical needs.
in Columbia, SC |
Dr. O'Leary did an excellent job of replacing both of my knees over the last few years. The scar is very small and the knees are as good as new. Recently he replaced my shoulder too. The surgery went extremely well and I've only had to take a minimal number of pain pills, usually for therapy. Dr O'Leary takes time to explain everything to me and I could not be more pleased with my surgeries.
I injured my shoulder while playing football. I saw Dr O'Leary who diagnosed me with a torn labrum. We were able to get surgery scheduled quickly. The staff at the surgery center was awesome. I had a successful surgery, which Dr. O'Leary provided pictures of my anterior and posterior tears and the repairs. I slept on the couch the first week, and only needed pain medication for about ten days to two weeks. My rehab is going great. I was very surprised with the minimal pain and discomfort.
in Orangeburg, South Carolina |
I just had a knee replacement on my right knee and even though it is still swollen and stiff I feel that Dr. O Leary's work is going to have me back on the tennis court teaching and playing without any problems. Took a long time to find someone I could trust.
in Columbia, SC |
I love Dr OLEARY! He is a fantastic doctor! I just had a total knee re- placement 5 weeks ago & I'm pretty much totally healed. The more you do the therapy, you quicker you are healed. I won't lie. It's sort of hard the first few weeks but then you start feeling how much it is helping and that feeling is awesome! Now, if I skip my exercises, my knee tells me so. The stretching and bending make it feel so much better. Thank you Dr OLeary for giving me back a knee that's better than ever!
White Rock, SC |
I had rotator cuff surgery in January. I was expecting a lot of pain but was pleasantly surprised. What minimum pain I did have was managed with Tylenol and Ibuprofen. The keys to my success were a skilled surgeon, Dr. OLeary, who repaired the torn rotator cuff; caring therapists in the occupational therapy department, and me, the patient, willing to follow ALL their instructions and work hard to get full mobility back in the shoulder. Surgery was successful. No pain with movement.
in Irmo, SC |
Dr. O'Leary understands my desire to continue to participate in athletics even after the age of 47. He has repaired both of my knees and provided me with great information including PT. I still continue my PT at home and follow his recommendations. Therefore, I am still able to compete and play the sports I love so much. This includes Triathlons and Softball. He will usually run behind with his appointments, but please keep in mind he is spending quality time with his patients.
Columbia, SC |
52 years old, runner for 40+ years. Ran track in college. After a year of knee pain I decided to get it checked out. Asked fellow runners for reference and Dr. O'Leary's name came up. Made an appointment, got an MRI and I apparently tore my meniscus, probably trail running. And had shredded the cartilage behind my patella. Dr. O'Leary conducted orthoscopic 'clean up' as outpatient surgery. I was walking the next day. Off crutches and pain meds in 2 days. Walking with no pain. Great outcome.
Columbia, SC |
This is my second arthroscopic surgery with Dr. O'Leary. My experiences with both could not have been better. From the evaluation through post op, Dr. O'Leary's compassion about his patients is evident. I was walking without crutches, and without any type of pain medication, the very next day. I was exercising again within 7 days.
in Columbia, SC |
I have had 4 knee surgeries with Dr. O'Leary. He has always been straight forward with me. I had a complete ACL tear he repaired without any complications, Partial knee replacement and I was back doing normal duties within a couple months. I was walking without assistance within a few weeks. Before my surgery I had daily pain and now I am pain free.
in Lexington, SC |
I had my knee replaced by Dr. O'Leary and 4 weeks later walking with a cane and doing good. Yes there is some discomfort the first few weeks but now it is well worth the wait. Very happy with the results!!!!!
in Columbia, SC |
Best decision i ever made, got great care and treatment.
in Columbia, SC |
I cannot say enough about Dr O Leary and his staff. I had been dealing with knee pain for more than 20 years. it got so bad to where I could not play golf with my sons and could not play with my granddaughter. I had surgery in August of 2015 and today I am able to play golf and enjoy playing with my grandchildren with no pain what so ever. I will not hesitate to contact Dr O Leary if my other knee starts to give me problems.
in Lexington, sc |
I had total knee replacement surgery in late September. I was up and walking the same day. Less than 3 months later, my knee great. Almost no pain. Dr. O'Leary was great. He took time to explain the procedure, what I needed to do and it worked.
in Columbia, SC |
Dr. O'Leary is a great surgeon. I had been putting off my knee replacement surgery for 3+ years and I was at the point to where I could not walk without crutches. So I hobbled into Midland's Orthopedic and met Dr. O'Leary. He was kind, compassionate and understanding. He was willing to listen to my concerns and fears and he put me at ease. I am 12 weeks post op on my total knee replacement and I have plans to get the other knee done soon. Thank you Dr. O'Leary for helping me improve my health!
in Columbia, SC |
Dr. O'Leary did a partial replacement of my left knee six weeks ago today. My experience has been excellent. Dr. O'Leary was very helpful and informative at every step. He described the process and answered questions clearly. The surgery itself was extremely successful. I was using a cane rather than a walker after one week and needed nothing after two weeks. The knee feels "normal," and I have excellent flexibility and strength. I am able to enjoy returning to my normal daily walks.
in Lexington, SC |
Dr. O'Leary continues to talk down to me and treat me differently because I am a "Worker's compensation patient." I have even asked him to stop treating me as a work comp patient and to treat me as a patient. On top of that, I have not been able to get an appointment with Dr. O'Leary after having been treated in the emergency room for the injury on which he operated! His nurse told me to come to the walk in clinic on Saturday, which I just discovered was moved to today. No one called to tell me.
Columbia, SC |
I had an excellent experience with Dr. O Leary. I came from Florida to have my Reverse Total Shoulder Replacement surgery. Dr. O Leary kept me informed of every step of the operation, the risks involved and after surgery he sent me to the right Orthopedic therapists. I am doing great! Before surgery I could not move my right arm. Now after 6 weeks of therapy I can raise my arm at a 125 degrees angle (120 degrees is considered perfect). Dr. O Leary speaks my native Spanish language. Great!
in Irmo, SC |
Very skilled, considerate, and caring surgeon... None better..
in Newberry, SC |
I've had a complete shoulder replacement. I'm very pleased with my recovery, it was not as bad as expected. The incision is smaller and neater than I expected it to be and my recovery has been much faster than expected. I would recommend Dr. O'Leary.
in Columbia SC |
Experienced, responsive, completely approachable and willing to take the time to answer all questions and concerns.
in Lexington, SC |
Dr. O Leary was not my first choice in my surgical decision, but choosing him upon his second opinion was the best decision I made. His explanation of the problem and procedure to correct it left me with confidence to take the next step. My knee is healing well and I am sure that I will be ready to trek around Disney with my grand kids. Oh, and to swing the golf clubs as well. I have recommended Dr. O Leary to several of my friends already and will do so in the future.
in Gaston, sc |
Bernice Riggs: Dr O'Leary replaced my right shoulder in March, 2016. I have never had a moments regret. He is the best for this type surgery. He is very caring and supportive. I would recommend him to anyone!!!
in Lexington, SC |
I have recommended Dr. OLeary to everyone I know who is considering knee replacement surgery! He is kind, caring and an excellent surgeon. He replaced both of my knees, one in 2011 and one in 2015. He uses up to date best practices and my recovery proceeded both times very very much as he explained. I got a blood clot after the first surgery which is not unusual. Dr. OLeary immediately recognized the problem and sent me for an ultrasound evaluation. He is so caring!
Columbia sc |
Dr. OLeary have me 2 knee knees and I am able to walk my dogs again and to do anything I haven't been able to do for so long. He is a very patient and kind man, and I thank him so much for all he has done for me!
in Irmo, SC |
Had left partial knee replacement, 1 month of P. T. then went on 1 week cruise to Caribbean 2 months post op. Had lots of walking and up and down stairs. Had some pain mainly controlled with Tylenol. It's been 4 months since surgery and now totally pain free and can walk or run all day. All is well......
in Columbia, SC |
I have had very positive experiences with Dr. O'Leary. In fact I consider him to be the very best orthopedic surgeon in South Carolina, and one to the best in the country.
Very competent professional.
in Lexington, SC |
Fixed my torn rotator cuff back in October. I did not have the extreme pain I was told I would have with this type of operation. I was just released by him on 2-23-16. I have full use of my arm and just need to build strength in it. I would recommend Dr. O'Leary if you need this type of surgery.
in Columbia, SC |
Pre/post op care is exemplary, both efficient &courteous. Dr. O'Leary is excellent. He is efficient but always manages to be fully present. You feel you have all the time you need, yet everyone gets seen in a timely fashion! Between my husband & I we had 3 total knees done in 2015. We always had questions and concerns addressed promptly, in person or by phone. As a Nurse, we can be hard to please but I recommend Dr. O'Leary wholeheartedly. They turn can't into cans!
in Lugoff, SC |
Dr O'Leary explained the procedures that I had in a very understanding way. He did a partial knee replacement and a total knee replacement on me in the same year. I consider it the best thing I could have done. If I need any further surgeries I will definitely consider using Dr O'Leary.
Columbia, SC |
Top notch surgeon. Dr. O'Leary discussed options with me and once I decided to move forward with the procedure fully explained what I could expect during and after the surgery. I followed his post surgery instructions and my recovery was remarkable.
Have you seen Dr. James O Leary, MD?
Are you Dr. O Leary?