Dr. James A. O Leary, MD

Dr. James A. O Leary, MD

Sports Medicine | Male | 49 years old

Dr. O Leary specializes in Sports Medicine and practices in Columbia, SC. He practices at 1 location.

Are you Dr. O Leary? Add your own statement here.

Dr. O Leary's Experience

See how Dr. O Leary's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. O Leary

Dr. O Leary accepts 25 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. O Leary has admitting privileges.

Hospital Quality Awards

×

Dr. O Leary's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. O Leary to family and friends
Experience with Dr. O Leary
Dr. O Leary's Office & Staff
    16 – 30 minutes (54)
in Columbia, SC |
Dr. O'Leary is a great surgeon. I had been putting off my knee replacement surgery for 3+ years and I was at the point to where I could not walk without crutches. So I hobbled into Midland's Orthopedic and met Dr. O'Leary. He was kind, compassionate and understanding. He was willing to listen to my concerns and fears and he put me at ease. I am 12 weeks post op on my total knee replacement and I have plans to get the other knee done soon. Thank you Dr. O'Leary for helping me improve my health!
in Columbia, SC |
Dr. O'Leary did a partial replacement of my left knee six weeks ago today. My experience has been excellent. Dr. O'Leary was very helpful and informative at every step. He described the process and answered questions clearly. The surgery itself was extremely successful. I was using a cane rather than a walker after one week and needed nothing after two weeks. The knee feels "normal," and I have excellent flexibility and strength. I am able to enjoy returning to my normal daily walks.
in Lexington, SC |
Dr. O'Leary continues to talk down to me and treat me differently because I am a "Worker's compensation patient." I have even asked him to stop treating me as a work comp patient and to treat me as a patient. On top of that, I have not been able to get an appointment with Dr. O'Leary after having been treated in the emergency room for the injury on which he operated! His nurse told me to come to the walk in clinic on Saturday, which I just discovered was moved to today. No one called to tell me.
Columbia, SC |
I had an excellent experience with Dr. O Leary. I came from Florida to have my Reverse Total Shoulder Replacement surgery. Dr. O Leary kept me informed of every step of the operation, the risks involved and after surgery he sent me to the right Orthopedic therapists. I am doing great! Before surgery I could not move my right arm. Now after 6 weeks of therapy I can raise my arm at a 125 degrees angle (120 degrees is considered perfect). Dr. O Leary speaks my native Spanish language. Great!
in Irmo, SC |
Very skilled, considerate, and caring surgeon... None better..
in Newberry, SC |
I've had a complete shoulder replacement. I'm very pleased with my recovery, it was not as bad as expected. The incision is smaller and neater than I expected it to be and my recovery has been much faster than expected. I would recommend Dr. O'Leary.
in Columbia SC |
Experienced, responsive, completely approachable and willing to take the time to answer all questions and concerns.
in Lexington, SC |
Dr. O Leary was not my first choice in my surgical decision, but choosing him upon his second opinion was the best decision I made. His explanation of the problem and procedure to correct it left me with confidence to take the next step. My knee is healing well and I am sure that I will be ready to trek around Disney with my grand kids. Oh, and to swing the golf clubs as well. I have recommended Dr. O Leary to several of my friends already and will do so in the future.
in Gaston, sc |
Bernice Riggs: Dr O'Leary replaced my right shoulder in March, 2016. I have never had a moments regret. He is the best for this type surgery. He is very caring and supportive. I would recommend him to anyone!!!
in Lexington, SC |
I have recommended Dr. OLeary to everyone I know who is considering knee replacement surgery! He is kind, caring and an excellent surgeon. He replaced both of my knees, one in 2011 and one in 2015. He uses up to date best practices and my recovery proceeded both times very very much as he explained. I got a blood clot after the first surgery which is not unusual. Dr. OLeary immediately recognized the problem and sent me for an ultrasound evaluation. He is so caring!
Columbia sc |
Dr. OLeary have me 2 knee knees and I am able to walk my dogs again and to do anything I haven't been able to do for so long. He is a very patient and kind man, and I thank him so much for all he has done for me!
in Irmo, SC |
Had left partial knee replacement, 1 month of P. T. then went on 1 week cruise to Caribbean 2 months post op. Had lots of walking and up and down stairs. Had some pain mainly controlled with Tylenol. It's been 4 months since surgery and now totally pain free and can walk or run all day. All is well......
in Columbia, SC |
I have had very positive experiences with Dr. O'Leary. In fact I consider him to be the very best orthopedic surgeon in South Carolina, and one to the best in the country.
Very competent professional.
in Lexington, SC |
Fixed my torn rotator cuff back in October. I did not have the extreme pain I was told I would have with this type of operation. I was just released by him on 2-23-16. I have full use of my arm and just need to build strength in it. I would recommend Dr. O'Leary if you need this type of surgery.
in Columbia, SC |
Pre/post op care is exemplary, both efficient &courteous. Dr. O'Leary is excellent. He is efficient but always manages to be fully present. You feel you have all the time you need, yet everyone gets seen in a timely fashion! Between my husband & I we had 3 total knees done in 2015. We always had questions and concerns addressed promptly, in person or by phone. As a Nurse, we can be hard to please but I recommend Dr. O'Leary wholeheartedly. They turn can't into cans!
in Lugoff, SC |
Dr O'Leary explained the procedures that I had in a very understanding way. He did a partial knee replacement and a total knee replacement on me in the same year. I consider it the best thing I could have done. If I need any further surgeries I will definitely consider using Dr O'Leary.
Columbia, SC |
Top notch surgeon. Dr. O'Leary discussed options with me and once I decided to move forward with the procedure fully explained what I could expect during and after the surgery. I followed his post surgery instructions and my recovery was remarkable.
Have you seen Dr. James A. O Leary, MD?
Are you Dr. O Leary?

Compare Dr. O Leary

Dr. O Leary's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Sports Medicine
  •  Board certified in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine and Orthopedic Surgery
  •  Malpractice claims in South Carolina not available

Dr. O Leary has no media or publications listed.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for South Carolina.

Why It Matters: Dr. O Leary's Board Certifications

University of Pittsburgh Medical Center

Completed in 2000

University of Notre Dame

Graduated in 1989

Dr. O Leary does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. O Leary and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Sports Medicine