Dr. James Melvin, MD

Dr. James Melvin, MD

Orthopedic Surgery  ·
Dr. James Melvin, MD is an orthopedic surgery specialist in Chevy Chase, MD and has been practicing for 8 years. He graduated from Univ Of Nc Chapel Hill Sch Of Med in 2005 and specializes in orthopedic surgery, reconstructive orthopedic surgery, and more.Read his story

5454 Wisconsin Ave Ste 1000

Chevy Chase, MD 20815

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice claims information for Maryland

Check Dr. Melvin's experience treating your condition or procedure

• Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • Elbow Bursitis
  • Elbow Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
  • Elbow Fracture and-or Dislocation Treatment, Closed
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Femur Fracture
  • Knee Replacement
  • Knee Replacement Revision
  • Knee Sprain
  • Knee Surgery
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) Sprain
  • Shoulder Tendinitis and Tenosynovitis
  • Systemic Chondromalacia
  • Tibia and Fibula Fractures
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate

Dr. Melvin enjoys the hands-on approach of orthopedics and the tangible results he sees in his patients every day. Easing their pain, restoring their function and quality of life are the best parts of the job. He also greatly values the personal relationships he forms with his patients, getting to know them as individuals and guiding them through the road to recovery.

• Hip & Knee Orthopedics

Dr. Melvin?
Dr. Melvin's Performance
What People Say About Dr. James Melvin, MD
RecentMost Helpful
My experience with Dr. Melvin was remarkably favorable. I took a fall over the Holidays requiring complicated patella surgery. He worked to facilitate early surgery despite Holiday slowdowns. He was always responsive and a good listener--enough information to answer my questions, but not so much as to be overwhelming. He coordinated well with PT during my recovery to keep me on a steady path, did battle where necessary with insurance company, and supported my recovery. I would recommend him without reservation.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Melvin, MD?
I am very young to have had a hip replacement and Dr. Melvin made me feel entirely comfortable and ensured that all important aspects of my life would still be attainable. While I hope people don't have to have a hip replacement like myself, if the situation arises, Dr. Melvin is the only doctor I would recommend. Thank you for everything!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Melvin, MD?
Dr Melvin and his staff provide excellent medical care for anyone in need of a hip or knee joint replacement. He and his staff were comforting and reassuring during my recent hip joint replacement surgery. They are available to answer all questions before during and after surgery and demonstrate a sincere desire for an effective pain free outcome that extends the quality of life as your original joints erode. I had very successful surgery and am seeing immediate and swift results.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Melvin, MD?
Dr. Melvin is a kind, direct, and personable doctor who truly communicates with a patient through the ups and downs of hip surgery. He responds fast to urgent and not so urgent matters via text and phone, does a great job pre and post op as well as most importantly in the OR. For me, as an anxious patient, he is literally perfect. Thank you. Alyne Ellis ( NPR and AARP retiree)
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Melvin, MD?
Dr. Melvin is absolutely amazing! He’s professional and very easy to talk to. I was struggling with arthritis in my right knee, which made it very swollen and painful for me to walk. Dr. Melvin had recommended surgery, and he assured me that I would feel better after the procedure. I’m 77 and when I saw how well I was doing the day after surgery, I was astonished. It’s been three weeks since, so I’m still recovering and doing really well with minimal discomfort. I’m very grateful for Dr. Melvin!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Melvin, MD?
From start to finish, I had an amazing experience with Dr. Melvin, his staff and Sibley Memorial Hospital. Dr. Melvin showed me the Pulse app, which gave me daily instructions before the operation as well as immediate access to him through text or phone post-surgery. He answered every text within minutes. After the double-hip replacement surgery, I walked the first day, used a walker for two days, a cane for one and was assistance-free by my fourth day post-op. Just an amazing experience.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Melvin, MD?
Dr. Melvin performed my bilateral hip surgery and I could not have had a more pleasant experience. Upon my first visit to discuss the surgery and the idea of doing both hips at one time, he was so pleasant and easy to talk to. It was important to me that he understand my entire health history as I have issues with auto immune diseases and he was happy to go over it all and discuss any concerns or offer insight to help me decide on how to proceed. I highly recommend Dr. Melvin.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Melvin, MD?
Dr. Melvin is courteous, caring and GOOD.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Melvin, MD?
Dr. Melvin is wise beyond his years. He took care of me when I fractured my femur then carefully monitored my recovery and determined that I would benefit from a hip replacement despite my young age (45). I was pain free 3 weeks after the replacement and ran 4 miles 6 weeks after the replacement and my hips felt better than they had in decades. Dr. Melvin is kind and a good listener. His expertise in customizing treatments for each unique patient's situation was clear in my treatment protocol.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Melvin, MD?
Dr. Melvin replaced my right hip two weeks ago. Everything went extremely smoothly. Kudos to Dr. Melvin and his office staff and the staff at Sibley. Post surgery care was also excellent.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Melvin, MD?
Dr. Melvin has performed 2 surgeries on my wife. 1st surgery was a total knee 4 plus years ago in NC with a great outcome. In January 2018 my wife fell pushing the femur against the hip socket and pelvis (5 plates, 18 screws). Repair was in NC at a trauma one hospital (Dr. Hsu). 10 months later we drove to Sibley from NC to have Dr. Melvin perform a very complicated TOTAL HIP to relieve the terrible bone on bone pain. Dr. Melvin is a very unique physician-caring and competent! The BEST.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Melvin, MD?
Dr. Melvin replaced my left knee in May 2018.. After consultations (even on stem cell replacement) I choose to have him perform my surgery because of the reviews and his experiences with custom fit replacement. Perhaps more importantly though was his answer that he would advise his mother to have the custom fir replacement. That assured me that he'd take care of me to the best of his ability. That he did!! Never omitting to advise me ahead of the expectations - pain, swelling etc. Thank you.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Melvin, MD?
I was a triathlete when I began to experience leg pain in both legs that limited my fitness activities. An MRI revealed femur stress fractures in both legs. Dr Melvin inserted rods in both femurs attached by screws at the knees and hips, and did both legs at the same time. At three months, I am now back to my fitness activities, and could not be more satisfied with the outcome.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Melvin, MD?
I am a 75 yer old retired physician who knew I needed a new left hip so I could continue an active lifestyle. After studying my local options, I chose Dr Melvin. I was home after one night in the hospital and up and moving carefully for the first week taking only Tylenol and Celebrex for pain. After 2 weeks I was walking, doing lots of stairs, driving and on no pain medications. After 8 weeks, I climbed a mountain. I couldn't be more pleased with the whole process and outcome.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Melvin, MD?
Dr. Melvin replaced my left hip. He was very professional as was his entire staff! I was seen in a timely fashion! I am thrilled with the results! I would highly recommend Dr. Melvin!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Melvin, MD?
Dr Melvin performed right hip surgery recently. He explained the pre-op, surgery, and post-op process including answering all my questions and concerns. Dr Melvin was referred to me by another surgeon. I am pleased with how the operation turned out. He checked on me while I was in recovery and while in the hospital for a few days. My gait is stable and balanced, no issues regarding right leg being shorter than left leg. I will recommended Dr Melvin to all my family, friends, and sssociates.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Melvin, MD?
Wonderful, just wonderful. Cannot say enough good things about him and his staff.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Melvin, MD?
Dr Melvin and staff are absolutely wonderful. From start to finish I received top notch care. I would highly recommend his practice to anyone in need of a replacement! He truly gave me my life back!!!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Melvin, MD?
Dr. Melvin is an outstanding surgeon that cares about you as a person and not just another patient. He took the time to answer all my questions and concerns. He told me I was a suitable candidate for a bilateral hip replacement and explained the process thoroughly. I was walking the day after surgery and after the first week I no longer needed to take any pain medication. All the pain and limitation I had before surgery is gone. I couldn’t be more pleased with the results.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Melvin, MD?
Absolutely the best, Dr. Melvin is a very caring, competent, skilled surgeon. Friends were trying to rush me into hip surgery but I took my time until I was certain that I had found the right physician. I am glad I did. The improvement came to me within a few weeks after surgery and the most amazing part was not pain reduction, my agility improved so much I thought my body clock had been reset by about 30 more very good years to come.
Show more reviews

How was your experience with Dr. Melvin?

Check the quality of care at hospitals where Dr. Melvin treats patients.