Dr. James Melisi, MD

Dr. James Melisi, MD

NeurosurgeryMaleAge 61

Telehealth services available

Dr. James Melisi, MD is a Neurosurgery Specialist in Richmond, VA. Dr. Melisi has more experience with Neurocritical Care Disorders and Pediatric Neurosurgery than other specialists in his area. He is affiliated with medical facilities such as Henrico Doctors' Hospital and Parham Doctors' Hospital. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Melisi to book an appointment.

Neurosurgical Associates, PC

Neurosurgical Associates, PC1651 N Parham Rd Richmond, VA 23229

Hospital Highlight

Dr. Melisi is affiliated with Henrico Doctors' Hospital Richmond, a highly rated hospital.

• Friendly Staff Patients said the staff was friendly. See reviews
  • Practices at Top Hospital America's 250 Best Hospitals Award™ See hospitals

More Neurosurgery Specialists at Henrico Doctors' Hospital

Dr. Melisi's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Melisi

3.6

Dr. Melisi?
  • Staff friendliness (47)
  • Appointment scheduling (43)
  • Office environment (43)
  • Didn't listen or answer questions (22)
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions (22)
  • Didn't explain conditions well (21)
I love love love Dr. Melisi, and his staff, I went to him in severe back pain. He LISTENED!!! He told me what needed to happen to fix the problems in my back, he promised to give me meds, to keep me conformable before, during and after surgery, and he did!! My surgery went great, and I was standing, and walking 2 1/2 hours after surgery. I never even needed a walker after surgery. If you want a doctor that listens, and acts to get you out of pain, he is the doctor for you!!
Barbara Poe – Jun 09, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Melisi, MD?
I require complex revision surgery to fix Dr. Melisi's mistakes with my L5-S1 fusion. The screws broke soon after the surgery and the fusion never took place. I have been in constant pain since Dr. Melisi's surgery, and must now undergo a complex procedure to remove the broken screws and put a proper interbody fusion in place (which was not done by Melisi). I cannot state strongly enough that this surgeon should be avoided.
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
May 14, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Melisi, MD?
I like Dr. Melisi. He is confident and easy to understand. His nurse is very nice and easy to work with. Surgery Tuesday...
BarbF – May 12, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Melisi, MD?
Dr. Melisi is absolutely AMAZING. He wasn't just my surgeon, but a miracle worker in my case. If your spinal cord is involved, YOU NEED A NEUROSURGEON! He is a no non-sense doctor. He took an Orthopedic surgeons, 2 surgeries w/10 days hospitalized, down to 1 surgery & out in 2 days. He did not make promises or assumptions that after 14 years suffering Spondylolisthesis at L4 that all would be fixed. I'm 1 month post op & I am at a loss for words on truly how good it feels to not have electrical shocks down my legs. The numbness & tingling have subsided & I find it incredible what this Doctor was able to achieve practicing his medicine. He's damn near perfected his craft as far as I am concerned. He is not a pill pusher, LET ME REPEAT, if your looking for med's, go to pain management. I found his demeanor to be completely professional & he carries himself in what I'd call a "GROOVY" style, very confident & it put me at ease. His nurse, "Nov", PURE KINDNESS! I COULD GO ON & ON
John R. – Apr 06, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Melisi, MD?
Herniated discs L4-5, L5-S1 for years, but it was manageable. In 2020 I started with burning in butt into the back of my thighs and horrible burning numbing pain in both feet. Saw Dr Melisi January 8, 2021; got scheduled for MRI and Dr Melisi said I needed a Lumbar Spinal Fusion to stabilize the woddly disc L4-5 and to remove enormous amount of bone spurs causing my nerve pain. Had surgery Feb 10th and my spine hasn't felt this strong in years and the feet are starting to recover after 5 weeks out from surgery. Be patience after surgery...it takes time for your body to recover and for the nerves to find their new pathway. Dr Melisi cares about his patients and does what is right for you!! Had a 6 weeks follow up March 25, 2021 with x-ray and I had lots of questions. Dr. Melisi gladly answered all in detail and in no hurry. Dr Melisi truly cares about his patients and does what is best for you. I highly recommend him if you are in need if a caring neurosurgeon.
seg – Apr 02, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Melisi, MD?
Dr. Melisi is not only a remarkably skilled surgeon, he is a caring and compassionate counselor as he applies his craft. He takes all the time you need, answers any question you may have and then executes according to his vast experience. Post surgery, I have returned to a pain free life.
Jeffrey Patnaude – Mar 27, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Melisi, MD?
I spent years telling doctors I have issue with my neck and he immediately saw it and I was extremely grateful.
Mar 14, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Melisi, MD?
I required an Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion (ACDF) procedure. I came into St. Mary's in excruciating, delibelating pain due to A5-A7 bulging discs and pinched nerves on my right shoulder and down my right arm. Dr. Melisi was the attending Neurosurgeon. He took a conservative pain management approach initially at my request because I wanted to avoid surgery. However, he was very clear and thorough about the risk and benefits with continued pain management or surgery. We decided that the ACDF was the best decision after several days (more me than him). He did a phenomenal job with my procedure and I am truly grateful for his expertise, care and professionalism. This procedure gave me relief, mobility, energy and my life back. Thank you Dr. Melisi to you and your staff for everything over the past 11 days. I feel like a new person being discharged.
Samantha W. – Nov 09, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Melisi, MD?
Dr. Melisi did an excellent job with my microdiscectomy in July. He gets my highest recommendation as a health care provider! I was in horrendous pain from a ruptured lumbar disc when he first met me in the emergency room. He was reassuring and compassionate, and promptly scheduled me for next-day surgery. After a short recovery, I was pain-free and grateful to have found such a skilled neurosurgeon who could address my problem quickly, with great skill, requiring only one surgical procedure. During my follow-up visits, Dr. Melisi patiently answered my countless questions and again reassured me. The staff at Neurosurgical Associates were also very helpful and kind. I have already sent one of my friends to him for help with her back problem and I would send you to him, as well.
Ann – Nov 07, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Melisi, MD?
Piece of trash who doesn't accept the insurance everyone else at the hospital does. Then doesn't inform me or my neurologist that he doesn't accept it. Subjecting me to several extra weeks of physical and mental torture waiting for an appointment to be setup and then playing 3 way phone tag to find out what was going on with this subhuman garbage.
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
  • Staff wasn't friendly
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Aug 20, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Melisi, MD?
I went with a numb right arm and extreme pain. Dr. Melisi was able to get an emergency MRI, schedule surgery, and have me out of the hospital in 3 days. Overall it was an excellent experience with better than expected results. I am 7 weeks out of surgery and have full use of my arm, my neck pain is gone, and am able to do everything as I was before my issues.
Tyler – Apr 28, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Melisi, MD?
Dr Melisi was a blessing in my life! I had been suffering with leg pain for years. Starting in my hip and eventually taking over my entire left leg. I had been through steroids. P T, and many expensive spinal injections to no avail. The pain had become relentless. When I returned to my GP Claire Westin she said We need to get you in with someone really good ??. The idea of seeing a Neurosurgeon was frightening at first but as soon as I met him he put me at ease. He explained what was happening in my spine, showed me what he would do to help me and made me feel like I might actually be able to enjoy life again. On Friday March 13,2020 I had a laminectomy at Memorial Regional Hospital. I celebrated my birthday on April 15 and was able to walk the entire Maymont Park on that day. What a gift!! I continue to get stronger every day and I thank him for this opportunity to walk without pain and enjoy my life again ????
Rebecca Williams – Apr 22, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Melisi, MD?
I went to Dr. Melisi with severe lumbar spinal stenosis. After reviewing MRI, he recommended a laminectomy. At first it frightened me to have spinal surgery but he took the time to explain everything in detail and left the decision up to me. I had the surgery and felt immediate relief. I was able to walk the same day and even climb stairs. Dr. Melisi is such a caring and skilled surgeon that I would highly recommend him to anyone having difficulty. He is kind and thorough and I loved his personality. Nov, his nurse, was very kind, as well. If you have any trouble whatsoever, I recommend going to speak to Dr. Melisi about your issue.
Lynne Hower – Apr 10, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Melisi, MD?
Doctor Melisi is thorough, compassionate and caring. Thank you Dr. Melisi. I can now sit up to enjoy a movie, play or concert which I could not do for the past two years.
Apr 04, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Melisi, MD?
Dr. Melisi has operated on me twice. He is the absolute best. Patient needs always come first with him.
David Thomas – Mar 19, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Melisi, MD?
I’ve been dealing with arthritis, degenerative discs, bulging discs and spinal stenosis for a number of years. Not able to do much walking. I had been told there wasn’t anything that could be done about the stenosis. I saw Dr. Melisi; he ordered MRI and did the surgery to fix the stenosis in just a matter of a couple of weeks. I am extremely pleased with Dr. Melisi and the results. The pain is gone and in less than 2 weeks time I’m walking more than 2 miles a day. He is very caring, explaining things so well and with very few restrictions after surgery. I would highly recommend him. His guidance and surgical skills have been amazing. I am so very blessed with my outcome and even more blessed to have met Dr. Melisi and experienced his care and skills. I would rate him a 10!
Brenda in Mechanicsville , VA – Oct 29, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Melisi, MD?
Went to Dr. Melisi with hip and leg pain. After an MRI, Dr. Melisi clearly explained the condition causing my pain and exactly what surgical procedure was needed to correct the issue. He answered all my questions and concerns and left the decision up to me. I decided that immediate surgery would be the best course before things got worse. Eight weeks after a lamination and the fusing of L4 and L5 verterbrae, I am pain free and well on the way to normal. Dr. Melisi spent the time with me so I wou
Apr 10, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Melisi, MD?
Within 2 visits, after an MRI, Dr. Melisi suggested that we FIX the problem. (2 herniated disks & OLD synovial cyst that had calcified in the spine. Including pinched nerves.) Was operated upon, and 8 weeks later am WELL on my way to a very positive recovery. Dr. Melisa was kind, direct, and pragmatic in suggesting that we FIX the issue. Surgery was clearly my OWN decision. I would recommend Dr. Melisa to anyone looking for pain relief and being able to sleep through the night.
  • Long wait times
B. Dohman in Tappahannock, VA – Mar 05, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Melisi, MD?
Dr. Melisi operated on me for a ruptured disc. Almost three months to the day since my surgery, and I'm feeling great. Dr. Melisi really took the time to explain what was wrong, and what needed to be done to fix it. His follow up care was excellent. He is a skilled technician, and a very kind man.
LM in Mechanicsville, VA – Mar 04, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Melisi, MD?
I am a testament to the compassion that Dr. Melisi has for his work. I feel that God put him in my path on February 16, 2019. I has an eye twitch that was soon diagnosed as malignant metastatic melanoma of the brain. He immediately put me at ease and not only rearranged his schedule, but hand picked the team to remove the tumor. It has been over two weeks now and his care and concern has been full of compassion. God is my leader and I am glad that he put Dr. Melisi in my path.
Greg in Mechanicsville, VA – Mar 02, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Melisi, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Melisi?

No malpractice claims found for Virginia

Frequently Treated by Dr. Melisi

Based on treatment records, we have identified the following as areas of care that Dr. Melisi treats more often than their peers. If you are unsure whether Dr. Melisi treats other conditions, please contact the office at (804) 288-8204.

Neurocritical Care Disorders

Neurocritical care specialists diagnose and treat severe and life-threatening neurological conditions such as stroke, spinal cord injury, brain tumor, and traumatic brain injuryCompare with other Neurocritical Care Disorders specialists.

Dr. Melisi is experienced in the area of Neurocritical Care Disorders. See the graph below to learn more about his experience.

Based on claims data for 16 conditions and procedures

Normal
High
Very High

Pediatric Neurosurgery

Pediatric neurosurgeons perform surgical procedures to treat diseases and conditions of the brain and spinal cord in children and teenagers under age 18.Compare with other Pediatric Neurosurgery specialists.

Dr. Melisi is experienced in the area of Pediatric Neurosurgery. See the graph below to learn more about his experience.

Based on claims data for 6 conditions and procedures

• Abscess or Cyst Drainage or Aspiration
  • Acoustic Neuroma
  • Aneurysm
  • Ankylosing Vertebral Hyperostosis
  • Arteriovenous Malformation (AVM)
  • Arteriovenous Malformation (AVM) Brain
  • Broken Neck
  • Cerebral Artery Thrombosis
  • Cerebral Hemorrhage
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) Shunt - Insertion, Repair or Removal
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cerebrovascular Disease
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Hydrocephalus
  • Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension
  • Incision and Removal of Foreign Object
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Meningiomas
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Nerve Sheath Tumors
  • Thoracic Spine Myelopathy
  • Traumatic Brain Injury
  • Upper Back Pain

Dr. Melisi accepts

Dr. Melisi accepts the following insurance:

Select