General Surgery  |
Dr. James McDonough, MD
Following internship and general surgery residency at Hartford Hospital in Hartford, Connecticut, Dr. McDonough became a diplomate of the American Board of Surgery. He studied plastic surgery at St. Joseph's Hospital in Houston, Texas, with Dr. Thomas Cronin, one of the pioneers of plastic surgery in the United States. He then returned to the Midwest as a plastic surgeon with the United States Air Force, serving at Scott Air Force Base in Illinois. Dr. McDonough has practiced in Asheville since 1976. He is a diplomate of the American Board of Plastic Surgery, a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, the Southeastern Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons and a past president of the North Carolina Society of Plastic, Maxillofacial, and Reconstructive Surgeons. He has been board certified in plastic surgery since 1975 with expertise in cosmetic and reconstructive breast, facial and body contouring procedures. He takes special pride in cleft lip and palate repair and follows these patients from infancy into adulthood. His surgical skills are enhanced through continuing medical education, as well as his ongoing participation in many aspects of the art field including sketching, painting, sculpting, and ceramics. He also enjoys fishing, and will listen to your fish stories if you will listen to his.

5 Livingston St

Asheville, NC 28801

• Health Net
  • MedCost
  • VA Coordinated Care for the Uninsured (VCC)

Learn about Dr. McDonough

Asheville Plastic Surgery offers a full range of plastic and reconstructive state of the art techniques.We strive to make your experience with plastic surgical evaluation and care a secure, relaxed and positive process.

Dr. McDonough's Experience

Dr. McDonough's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in General Surgery

• Congenital Anomalies of Breast
  • Gynecomastia
  • Large Breasts
  • Localized Fat Deposits
  • Moles (Benign Skin Lesions)
  • Skin Aging

• Head and Neck Surgery
  • Lip, Excision or Resection
  • Liposuction
  • Nipple Reconstruction
  • Nose Plastic Surgery (Rhinoplasty)
  • Skin Grafts
  • Skin and Tissue Reduction
  • Wound Repair

No malpractice history found for North Carolina.

• Macmurray College
    Undergraduate School | Graduated
  • Northwestern University Medical School
    Medical School | Graduated
  • Hartford Hospital
    Internship Hospital | Completed
  • Hartford Hospital
  • St Joseph Medical Center

Dr. McDonough has no media or publications listed.

Dr. McDonough does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. McDonough and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. McDonough's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. McDonough to family and friends
Dr. McDonough's Performance
in Asheville, NC |
5-star experience!! Amazing results and wonderful staff. Would highly recommend Asheville Plastic Surgery!
Hendersonville, NC |
Dr. McDonough was very kind listened to what I wanted and delivered beautifully! I have a lift and augmentation and I'm in love with my results! His staff is kind and respectful I had so many questions and they answered everyone honestly they were there for me and still are I can have a question and or concern and they are on top of it! I've never had a surgeon make me feel comfortable on the table before but he did! I would and have highly recommended him!
Admittedly, I was nervous about breast reduction surgery. I think I rescheduled the initial appointment at least four times. When I finally got the nerve to show up, I was treated with dignity and respect, all my questions were answered and I was scheduled for surgery. It went fabulously! Had I only done it 30 years sooner, I could have avoided aching back, tingly arms and breasts so enormous, I felt like a freak. The staff are professional and caring.
Asheville, NC |
Dr McDonough did a wonderful job, surgery went great. The staff in the office and the nurses were wonderful also!!
Asheville, NC |
I had a breast lift with augmentation. I am very athletic and after losing 50 lbs and nursing 2 kids, the girls were looking pretty ancient. I was terrified to get this surgery but the dr and staff made me feel very comfortable. They answered all my questions promptly. They allowed me to go through my process and let me come in a couple extra times because I was unsure of a couple things. Dr was very laid back, listened to what I wanted, and made a few mild recommendations. He allowed me to make
Morganton nc |
Amazing doctor. Done everything I wanted and need for an amazing price staff and facilities were amazing was there every step of the way to make sure healing was ok wonderful doctor.
in Asheville, NC |
The very finest. Dr. McDonough is first and foremost, an artist. When I had my facelift, his work made the transition so natural, that the remarks I received were in the line of: "You look great!! You never seem to age!" - but they never seem to realize I had a facelift! I just smile and say "Thank You!" (wink!)
Have you seen Dr. James McDonough, MD?
Are you Dr. McDonough?

Visit Dr. McDonough

Dr. McDonough accepts 6 insurance carriers
  • Health Net
  • MedCost
    MedCost PPO
  • VA Coordinated Care for the Uninsured (VCC)

Hospitals where Dr. McDonough has admitting privileges