Dr. James Maxwell, MD

Dr. James Maxwell, MD

Orthopedic Surgery  |
Dr. James Maxwell, MD is an orthopedic surgery doctor who practices in Phoenix, AZ. He is 70 years old and has been practicing for 39 years.

2929 E Camelback Rd Ste 118

Phoenix, AZ 85016

Learn about Dr. Maxwell

See how frequently Dr. Maxwell performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Spinal Fusion
Herniated Disc Surgery
Intervertebral Disc Disease

Dr. Maxwell's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Accredited by: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery*

• Arthritis of the Elbow
  • Ataxia
  • Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • Gout
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture

• Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
  • Epidural Block, Facet Blocks
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Hip Replacement
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Neuroplasty
  • Spinal Cord Stimulation
  • Spinal Fusion
  • Spinal Nerve Block
  • Spinal Reconstructive Surgery for Deformities

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Arizona.

• University Of California, San Diego, School Of Medicine
    Medical School | Graduated 1978
  • University Calif San Diego
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1979
  • Naval Hospital
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1986
  • Kerlan Jobe Ortho Clin
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1990

Dr. Maxwell has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Maxwell does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Maxwell and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Maxwell's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Maxwell to family and friends
3.9
Dr. Maxwell's Performance
in Phoenix Arizona |
He put 6 screws in my back. Flopped like a fish for 5 days. Then figured out he frayed a nerve. Had to remove it, and I've had muscle spasms, no reflexes, sciatica to name a few problems. I would never trust this man again in my life!
Phoenix, AZ |
Amazing experience after going to a few other local surgeons who seemed only interested in multiple level immediate surgery. Dr Maxwell and his staff were awesome. The case went great. I was told about the latest innovative items used and my recovery was faster than expected. I couldn't be more pleased with the entire experience and am glad I didn't go with option 1 or 2 and decided to go for additional reviews. I highly recommend Dr James Maxwell as my experience relieved the typical anxiety.
in Phoenix, AZ |
I was recommended to Dr Maxwell after a serious scare at work. At first, because of insurance, his office said my insurance want accepted. After talking to his medical assistant, they had me come in. Even though Dr M wasnt contracted and I had to pay more, MY LIFE IS BACK! Thank you thank you. I can't even describe how bad my arm strength was, and he operated on my neck. Now everything is perfect. Couldn't recommend more highly.
in Phoenix, AZ |
As a former Marine, the VA has been a struggle. Dr Maxwell took my problem seriously. Thank GOD for him. I just had surgery and I can support my family more. I needed lumbar surgery, scary but it finally was done. Most respectful Dr I've ever met, and he's a VETERAN!
in Cave Creek, AZ |
Had a fusion surgery done by Dr Maxwell for spinal stenosis in 02/18/14 and I'm still in bad pain 3 years later. Went back and told him I was still in pain and he said it will go away, three years later and still in pain. Don't want to sit here trashing Dr Maxwell, just want to tell what happened to me. There is NOTHING more important than finding the best surgeon you can find. I waited till last second till I was in so much pain that I couldn't go check around, my fault and used Dr Maxwell.
Scottsdale, AZ |
Dr. Maxwell took the time to explain, in simple terms, his approach to procedures and expected results. I was back to where I wanted to be in weeks, instead of months!
in Phoenix, AZ |
Wow, great experience with Dr. Maxwell. I feel lucky. I fractured two vertebra in my back at work, Dr. Maxwell didn't tell me surgery was necessary and sent me for therapy and an injection. They've helped amazingly. He speaks the truth and I can't speak more highly. Thank you.
in Phoenix, AZ |
Helped me through everything. Can't thank the dr enough. I had a herniated disk and couldn't work. I'm back to work now and he's the best. Thank you!
in Mesa, AZ |
Dr. Maxwell had absolutely no interest in the fact that my mother had fallen twice after having back surgery performed my him. He simply advised her to go to the ER where she was admitted and drugged out of her mind for 5 days (twice). She kept complaining of extreme pain in her legs. His only concern was the surgical site. He made no effort to explore further the possibility of damage elsewhere from her fall. It's been 7 weeks and she is still suffering. I call this negligence.
Have you seen Dr. James Maxwell, MD?
Are you Dr. Maxwell?

See our Orthopedic Surgery Specialists at Dignity Health - St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center

Visit Dr. Maxwell