Dr. James Liu, MD

NeurosurgeryMaleAge 47

Telehealth services available

Neurological Institute of New Jersey

90 Bergen St Ste 8100 Newark, NJ 07103

Dr. James Liu, MD is a Neurosurgery Specialist in Newark, NJ. Dr. Liu has more experience with Pediatric Neurosurgery and Cranial Neurosurgery than other specialists in his area. He is affiliated with medical facilities such as Saint Barnabas Medical Center and Newark Beth Israel Medical Center. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Liu to book an appointment.

Compare Providers

Quickly compare more Neurosurgery Specialists in your area

Hospital Highlight

Dr. Liu is affiliated with Saint Clare's Denville Hospital Denville, a highly rated hospital.

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Offers Telehealth
    This provider offers telehealth appointments. Schedule an appointment.
  • Practices at Top Hospital
    Patient Safety Excellence Award™ See hospitals

No malpractice claims found for New Jersey

Frequently Treated by Dr. Liu

Based on treatment records, we have identified the following as areas of care that Dr. Liu treats more often than their peers. If you are unsure whether Dr. Liu treats other conditions, please contact the office at (973) 972-2323.

Pediatric Neurosurgery

Pediatric neurosurgeons perform surgical procedures to treat diseases and conditions of the brain and spinal cord in children and teenagers under age 18.Compare with other Pediatric Neurosurgery specialists.

Dr. Liu treats at a

Normal
High
Very High

Cranial Neurosurgery

Cranial neurosurgeons perform surgical procedures that involve opening or passing through the skull to treat conditions affecting the brain, spinal cord, and nervous system.Compare with other Cranial Neurosurgery specialists.

Dr. Liu treats at a

• Aneurysm Surgery
  • Angiofibroma
  • Ankylosing Vertebral Hyperostosis
  • Anterior Cervical Herniated Disc Surgery With Fusion
  • Arteriovenous Malformation (AVM)
  • Arteriovenous Malformation (AVM) Brain
  • Cavernous Malformation of Spine
  • Cerebral Artery Thrombosis
  • Cerebral Hemorrhage
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) Shunt - Insertion, Repair or Removal
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cerebrovascular Disease
  • Hypopituitarism
  • Intracranial Arteriovenous Malformation (AVM) Repair
  • Juvenile Pilocytic Astrocytoma
  • Kidney Cancer
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Laryngeal Cancer
  • Vascular Malformations
  • Vascular Transcatheter Embolization
  • von Hippel-Lindau Syndrome

Dr. Liu accepts

Dr. Liu accepts the following insurance:

Coventry Health Care
Worker's Compensation WC

Dr. Liu's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Liu

Dr. Liu?
  • Explained conditions well (104)
  • Listened & answered questions (103)
  • Trusted the provider's decisions (103)
  • Difficult to schedule appointment (5)
  • Didn't explain conditions well (3)
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions (3)
Dr. Liu is an extremely professional and caring doctor. He listens to your concerns and makes sure you understand everything about your procedure. I was diagnosed with a pituitary tumor and he was working with my ENT Dr. Hsueh. Dr. Liu put me at ease both before and after the surgery. His follow up care was excellent and I was back to work in 2 weeks. He is an excellent doctor and I would recommend him without any hesitation.
Thomas Borzeka – Feb 24, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Liu, MD?
Dr. Liu is not only a great surgeon, he also has an amazing bedside manner that eased my fears before and well after the two craniopharyngioma surgeries he performed on me. My 1st surgery took place in 2010 after the tumor was affecting my vision. Brain surgery and the prospect of losing my vision were terrifying, and I'm happy I went through that experience with Dr. Liu as my surgeon. The 1st surgery was a success, but unfortunately a 2nd tumor developed in 2017 which also needed removal. I entrusted Dr. Liu once again and he performed another successful surgery to remove the tumor. I can't say enough about him as a surgeon and his dedication to his patients. I feel fortunate to have been in his care for almost 11 years!
Ana C Cores – Feb 22, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Liu, MD?
Dr. Liu is amazing! If you're searching for a neurologist, there no need to look any further! Dr. Lui removed an ossifying fibroma orbit and skull base all from my eyebrow. He’s reassuring, personable, funny and extremely smart! I highly recommend going to him
Natasha Wilson – Feb 20, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Liu, MD?
Tomorrow is my birthday so it is especially meaningful for me to be writing this "thank you" note to Dr. James K. Liu and his entire group of extraordinary men and women who contributed to my well being. I was diagnosed with a large pituitary tumor which was causing compression on my optic nerve. Dr. Liu and Dr. Jean Eloy performed endoscopic surgery through my nasal cavity and sphenoid sinus to remove the tumor. Dr. Liu removed the entire tumor, leaving my pituitary gland completely intact. Obviously, this was an extremely anxious time for me and my entire family, but through it all, I felt as though I was being very well taken care of and all I had to do was concentrate on recuperating. It's been about six weeks since my surgery and I already feel like my old self. Dr. Liu is a brilliant, compassionate and dedicated surgeon and I will always be grateful that he was my doctor. I will celebrate my birthday tomorrow with a special appreciation for life, thanks to Dr. Liu.
Beatrice Katz – Feb 19, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Liu, MD?
Dr Liu was the miracle that we needed when my daughter was diagnosed with a base skull Epidermoid Tumor of the brain in 2011. She has had two surgeries in 2011 and 2017 in Newark, which helped my daughter maintain a normal life. His compassion towards my daughter, who also suffers from Downs Syndrome, was welcomed. He spoke to her directly, which she loved since Drs usually talk to me, and explained everything to her which made her feel like everyone else. We are eternally grateful for this gifted and caring surgeon. You are the best!!!!
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
  • Long wait times
Elizabeth Domenick – Feb 17, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Liu, MD?
My grandmother was diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia many years ago and in the summer of 2020 her symptoms associated with this condition worsened severely. With medication no longer providing her relief, I sought a consultation with Dr. Liu on her behalf. He recommended a MVD of the trigeminal nerve, which he eventually performed. This was definitely the most invasive option....especially because at the time, she was 83 years old, and as such this was a very high risk surgery. Following the surgery in Sept 2020, my grandmother was off of pain medications for trigeminal neuralgia and pain-free. Throughout this process Dr. Liu and his staff have been very informative, professional and kind to my grandmother. Good bedside manner too. I would definitely recommend Dr. Liu as a neurosurgeon and hope that he continues to treat and explore difficult neurologic issues. Thank you Dr. Liu!!!
MAYRA SUAZO – Jan 14, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Liu, MD?
I had been searching for a Skilled Skull based surgeon for awhile and was given Dr. Liu’s name & contact. After meeting (telehealth) with him and his different team members, i knew i had found who i was looking for! I had a Vagal Paraganglioma of the head/neck and skull base. They did a team approach at Saint Barnabas Medical Center, with his Rutgers Skull Base Team! They removed 90% of my tumor that i had been told was “inoperable” by 3 drs and specialist before meeting this team. Dr. Liu and his team treat you like a person and not just a patient, it’s refreshing and reassuring! I cant recommend him enough!!
  • Long wait times
Rachel Faith Clark – Nov 30, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Liu, MD?
Diagnosed with an Acoustic Neuroma in November of 2016 I sought advice and treatment from the local teaching hospitals in Maryland . Unsatisfied with the answers to my questions and treatment options in my home state I was determined to find the absolute best surgeon who could produce excellent results with the least complications , especially concerning facial nerve preservation and function . After much research I was was directed to Dr James K. Liu at Rutgers University Hospital . It is not an overstatement to say I was incredibly fortunate to find this exceptional surgeon . Dr Liu is a very caring and kind individual and took the time to answer all my questions and concerns . I had neurosurgery on a Thursday and was home that Sunday tumor free with no complications a fully functional facial nerve and no headachs . I am incredibly grateful to have found this truly amazing surgeon .
Jeffrey Neuman – Nov 25, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Liu, MD?
In Late 2019 I was diagnosed with a pituitary tumor on the left side of my brain that was 1cm. The disease that was associated to this was Cushings disease. During and prior to that It was the most difficult time of my life. I went through so many doctors, so many procedures to figure out what was causing me not to feel good. When I was admitted to the hospital Dr. Liu and his team was amazing. He took very good care of me understand me well and I felt that I was in good hands. On March 3 of 2020 Dr. James Liu cured my pituitary adenoma performing the endoscopic transsphenoidal surgery. I can say I’m doing great in recovering and I feel Wonderful and I’m looking wonderful too. I’m just so happy and thankful. I would definitely recommend him to anyone. Cushings disease nearly took my life but Dr. Liu saved me. #cushingsdiseasesurvivor #pituitaryadenomaremoval
Mikelia Murray – Nov 20, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Liu, MD?
James K. Liu is a great find, thanks to my ENT doc. On October 2nd 2020 at Saint Barnabas Dr Liu performed surgery on myself to remove a tumor in my sinus cavity, near the brain. The tumor was a Hemangiopericytoma that was blocking the airflow in my left nostril. Dr Liu performed the surgery via the nostril, and successfully removed the tumor after ~ 6 hours of surgery. The follow up care has been top notch, and he explained every part of the process well to me. I was lucky enough to find Dr Liu and his team. I am also lucky as to I do not have to do Chemo or radiation therapy, thanks to Dr Liu excellent work at removing the entire Hemangiopericytoma!
Seabiscuit – Nov 11, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Liu, MD?
On Sept. 12, 2020, Dr. James Liu performed surgery on my pituitary tumor. My tumor was very large causing me to have a blurry vision. I was nervous when told that I was to have surgery to remove it. I did not know Dr. Liu so my Aunt googled him and was very impressed with his credentials. On my preliminary visit to the hospital, I was very worried since I never had any surgery before but the hospital staff assured me and told me that I am in good hands. The surgery went smoothly and I am very happy with the outcome as my vision is back to normal. It is indeed a blessing that I found Dr. Liu!!
Jocelyn Que – Oct 21, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Liu, MD?
Me and my mom are very thankful of Dr. Liu and his staff for all they have done for us. They went above and beyond in making sure we had all our questions and concerns answered. He made my mom feel like family. I don’t wish anyone to go through all we have been through but if ever you are in similar situation I would always recommend him. Truly thankful god put him in our path.
Stephanie D. – Oct 17, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Liu, MD?
I had a very large (one inch) benign pituitary adenoma (tumor) that was rapidly destroying my eyesight. My pituitary specialist doubted that it could be completely removed, but Dr. Liu was able to do it -- confirmed by MRI afterwards. He worked with ENT surgeon Dr Eloy in a minimally invasive microsurgery procedure, and my eyesight is now nearly normal, as confirmed by expert neurologist-opthalmologist Dr. Frohman, all at Rutgers, Newark. Dr. Liu and I communicated daily by email, and he has an excellent backup staff, particularly Rosa Solis who kept track of schedules and results. My overall experience was very positive. If you have eye problems and it's a tumor, do what I did, call Dr. Liu the day you find out about it!
John B., Basking Ridge, NJ – Sep 04, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Liu, MD?
Dr Liu is an expert in neurosurgery. I am a patient who suffered from vision loss due to a meningioma. My plan of treatment was thoroughly explained to me and the outcome was just as anticipated. Dr Liu was vigilant. After a bi frontal craniotomy in 2016, I regained my vision and have not had any additional deficits thus far. I would definitely refer Dr Liu to perspective patients.
Sep 01, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Liu, MD?
Amazing surgeon! Dr Liu and Dr Jyung make an excellent team I am so glad and blessed to have found them and have been successfully operated on by them. On January 31st I had a 16 hour retrosig craniotomy for a 3cm acoustic Neuroma. I am so glad got a second opinion and met them. My surgery was successful, my facial nerve is 100% in tact, 99% of the tumor was removed, my hearing and balance nerves were compromised which was expected but I am so grateful for the outcome! Dr, Liu is very confident in his work as he should be. The incision was closed up beautifully and healing amazingly. I am 6 months post op and could not be more pleased with my results !! I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend them !!!
Jasmine – Aug 11, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Liu, MD?
I suffered a ruptured blood vessel in my brain due to an AVM . I was left paralyzed and unable to communicate in any way. I underwent surgery with Dr. Liu to remove a blood clot and to remove the remaining AVM's. I remain under his care to this day. It has been less than two months since Dr. Liu performed this surgery and physically I have regained all of my movement and strength. I am no longer paralyzed . My Aphasia and Apraxia have improved dramatically and I can speak /read and write again. I am optimistic that I will fully recover . Dr. Liu's expertise, knowledge , understanding and kindness has made this very difficult experience a lot less stressful. My family and I will forever be grateful for the care and hope he has given us . This Dr. will give you the best care available. You will be hard pressed to find anyone with more experience or more genuine concern for your health .
Sara K – Jul 29, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Liu, MD?
I had to have brain bypass surgery due to a rare condition I developed called moya moya. It was most likely due to my sickle cell. I felt safe in Dr. Liu’s hands. I was very nervous the morning of the surgery but him and his team encouraged me and ensured me that I was in the best hands possible for a procedure like this. And it was true. I came out of the surgery with ZERO complications and everything going extremely well and as planned. If I had to recommend anyone to do this procedure for a loved one, I’d pick Dr. Liu. He is one of the few neurosurgeons in the country who has the expertise in intricate brain surgeries such as the one I had. It’s been a month and I feel 80% recovered. And it’s only been a month! The recovery process has not been easy but I am getting better and stronger every single day.
Chidi Nwabueze – Jul 23, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Liu, MD?
My husband was diagnosed with a meningioma in March 2020. We researched and interviewed several Neurosurgeons. His tumor was very large and compressing his brain. It had grown into the other half of his head and into the sagittal sinus. He had confusion, problems with his vision and ringing in his ears. From the minute we met with Dr. Lui, we knew he would be his surgeon. We were very nervous, but he was confident, answered all of our questions, was knowledgeable and made us feel at ease. Because of COVID-19, no visitors were allowed in the hospital. Dr. Lui was able to get permission for me to go in while he was prepped for surgery. I am truly grateful for that. The surgery went perfectly. Dr. Lui was able to remove the entire tumor. The incision site healed perfectly and the symptoms that my husband had prior to the surgery, are no longer. Dr. Lui is a gifted surgeon, his confidence was extremely reassuring which kept us at ease during the whole process. He is amazing. Thank you!
Kristy and Jeff H. – Jul 08, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Liu, MD?
I have been reflecting on the true impact that this man had on my life. When I presented my case to him three years ago the vision in my right eye had been affected. The meningioma had literally taken hold in every nook and cranny of my skull. Doctors at another prestigious hospital had examined me, reviewed the MRI, and just told me there was nothing they could do—it was too dangerous to operate or treat me. The surgery was extremely successful. Dr. Liu was able to remove all of the tumor in my sinus area, and was able to debulk it in other areas. He also cut up the sheath of several nerves. The fantastic news is that my vision has returned to normal, and the tumor has not regrown. I am able to return to life and enjoy my children and grandchildren. Dr. Liu has saved my vision, my ability to work and live as I would like to live, and to have a hopeful future. Words cannot express how truly grateful I am to this very humble, exceptionally gifted, man.
Patricia C – May 12, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Liu, MD?
September 26 2018 my mother had a large tumor removed from her brain. He left a wedge because it was so close to the area that controls her speech and memory. At 72 he felt she was way too young to chance waking up and not knowing who anyone was and then not being able to verbalize that. He also said that shwanoma Type tumors are nerve sheet tumors that he’d never seen on a brain. He’s a professional and we actually got to see him again at this year’s follow up. I would recommend him highly! Our family is so overwhelmed with the whole situation. It must have been growing for quite a while. But my mother is doing well and we are very happy to have her.
Denise. Coppola – Apr 26, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Liu, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Liu?

Our goal is to make a difference, providing the best clinical outcomes and improving quality of life in each patient. We treat each patient with the utmost...Read more

Dr. James K. Liu is the Director of the Center for Cerebrovascular, Skull Base and Pituitary Surgery at the Rutgers Neurological Institute of New Jersey,...Read more

• Neurosurgery

University of Utah School of Medicine (Salt Lake City)
2007