Dr. James Liu, MD

Dr. James Liu, MD

Neurosurgery  ·
Dr. James Liu, MD is a neurosurgery specialist in Newark, NJ and has been practicing for 12 years. He graduated from New York Medical College in 2000 and specializes in neurosurgery, oncology, and more.Read his story

90 Bergen St # 8100

• Radiation-Induced Meningioma
Brain Disorders

Dr. Liu treats Brain Disorders more than 79% of his peers

Dr. Liu treats this condition more than 79% of his peers

Dr. Liu treats Brain and Nervous System Cancer (incl. Gliomas, Astrocytoma, Schwannoma, Medulloblastoma, Chordoma) more than 78% of his peers

Dr. Liu treats this condition more than 78% of his peers

• Oligodendroglioma
  • Visual Pathway and Hypothalamic Glioma

Dr. Liu's conditions and procedures:

• Acoustic Neuroma
  • Acoustic Neuroma Removal (incl. Hearing Preservation Techniques)
  • Adenocarcinoid Tumor
  • Cavernous Malformation of Spine
  • Cerebral Artery Thrombosis
  • Cerebral Hemorrhage
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) Shunt - Insertion, Repair or Removal
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cerebrovascular Disease
  • Cerebrovascular Surgery
  • Chiari's Deformity
  • Chondrosarcoma
  • Chordoma
  • Coagulation Disorders (incl. Hemophilia)
  • Complex Skull Base Surgery
  • Endoscopic Endonasal Surgery
  • Ependymoma
  • Epidural Block, Facet Blocks
  • Epidural Hematoma
  • Epidural Lysis of Adhesions (LOA)
  • Epilepsy
  • Hemangioma
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Hypercoagulable State
  • Hypopituitarism
  • Immune Thrombocytopenic Purpura (ITP)
  • Intracranial Arteriovenous Malformation (AVM) Repair
  • Juvenile Pilocytic Astrocytoma
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Pituitary Gland Cancer
  • Pituitary Gland Tumor Excision
  • Pituitary Surgery
  • Pituitary Tumor
  • Primary Hypercoagulable State (incl. Factor V Leiden Disease)
  • Prostate Cancer
  • Urinary Disorders
  • Vascular Malformations
  • Vertebral Column Tumors
  • von Hippel-Lindau Syndrome

Our goal is to make a difference, providing the best clinical outcomes and improving quality of life in each patient. We treat each patient with the utmost care and compassion as if they were our own family member. Treatment strategies are tailored and individualized to each patient so that they have the best neurological outcome possible.

• Neurosurgery
  • Cerebrovascular Neurosurgery
  • Neurological Skull Base Surgery
  • Oncology

2007
Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU)
2006

Dr. Liu?
Dr. Liu's Performance
What People Say About Dr. James Liu, MD
RecentMost Helpful
Dr. Liu operated on my husband for a large pituitary adenoma. He skillfully removed the large tumor through his nostril - and he was home from the hospital in two days! He and his staff are thorough, caring and compassionate.
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Liu, MD?
On Feb 6,2019 at about 9am my wife Marie suffered a. Right posterior artery aneurysm. At saint barnabas hospital, Dr Lius team advised us that they would perform An endovascular surgery at 9am Feb 7, 2019. However, after performing and viewing another cat scan, it showed that the aneurysm was very wide necked, this ruled out the endovascular treatment as an option. The team thought it necessary to call in Dr Liu to perform a clip obliteration surgery. Time was of the essence so they moved the surgery up to 7 pm on the 6th of February. The team explained the procedure to my wife and myself. On my request, the explained the procedure to my wife’s family via conference call. At 7pm we met with Dr Liu outside the operating room. He explained the surgery, told us of possible risks and answered questions. At 1:30am. He related that the operation was a success. While in Dr Lius care, his team was accessible, professional, caring and kind. Dr liu and his team saved Maries life.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Liu, MD?
Dr Liu removed a 2.5cm acoustic neurona from me. He was very patient and listened to me and answered all my questions without any rush. This Dr is not only incredibly skilled , but very humble. His work is impeccable. Trust me he did a great job on me. I have no facial damage whatsoever. If you need a great surgeon that’s also caring, look no further Dr Liu is the one. I wish more people would write reviews on him because more people need to know about this amazing surgeon.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Liu, MD?
I was diagnosed with a skull base miningioma in June 2018 and Dr Liu operated in July. It was in a tricky spot to access and Dr Liu got the whole thing. I'm still working through some eyesight coordination issues with the neuroopthamologist Dr Liu recommended - my eyesight was always complicated anyway -- and the long term prognosis is really good. Dr. Liu and his team are incredibly calm, patient, and skilled. I could not recommend them more highly.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Liu, MD?
Feb 6, I experienced a rupture in a brain aneurysm. I was luckily at Monmouth medical center in Long Branch,NJ. I was airlifted to saint barnabas Livingston. Dr Lui performed a craniotomy on the aneurysm. He clipped it as it was too large to coil. I couldn’t be more thankful to him and his team. I’m here today with my family because of him.
Thank you for sharing your positive experience....Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Liu, MD?
I was afflicted on Feb 12th this year with a pituitary tumor, complicated by a bleeding aneurysm in the tumor. I lost my peripheral vision, and I was sent to St Barnabas hospital where Dr Liu performed the surgery to remove the tumor. Due to Dr Liu & his team, I got back my vision so I can drive and only need one medication now, April 21,19
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Liu, MD?
Dr. James Liu MD with his team at Newark University Medical Hospital did a 5 hour surgery on my son, Sean, age 39 of Hoboken NJ. He removed what is called a Cerebral Hemangioblastoma, which we found was benign. I highly recommend Dr. Liu and his team for anyone who may need his help in a neuropathic situation.
We are very happy we could provide you with a...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Liu, MD?
Dr. Liu performed brain surgery - clipping of an aneurysm in October 2018. He did a masterful job! I have to have a second procedure and have every confidence in his skill and ability.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Liu, MD?
I cannot begin to express how thankful I am that I found Dr. Liu and his team. I had surgery on January 18, 2019 to remove a large tumor on my pituitary gland. I wasn't feeling well for months and my vision was so bad that I stopped driving. I am only 37 years old and I could barley see. Dr. Liu is an extremely knowledgeable surgeon. As soon as I woke up in recovery I could read the clock on the wall; without my glasses on! I am elated at how well my recovery is progressing.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Liu, MD?
On January 7th Dr Liu preformed a surgery for an abstract and painful problem, trigeminal neuralgia. I’ve had this pain for the past six years and for the first time, one month after the surgery Dr Liu performed, I have no pain. Would definately recommend Dr Liu. He is an excellent surgeon.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Liu, MD?
I cannot accurately express the sincere thanks for Dr. Lui and his team for the care I received at St Barnabas. One day I was told that a tumor was found on my pituitary gland, and on day 3 I was already talking to Dr. Lui. I was actually not expecting the speed in which I was seen and the reassurance that I desperately needed to hear. Dr.? Lui absoulutely was extremely instrumental in putting me at ease and getting me out of danger. I highly recommend Dr. Lui. Thank you, ?sir! -J Irizarry
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Liu, MD?
In August 2018 our son Joseph ,was diagnosed with a Juvenile Nasopharyngeal Angiofibroma, which is a very rare benign aggressive tumor that can spread into the skull and cranium. We were referred to Dr. Liu and Dr. Eloy at Rutgers Medical School. Dr. Liu and Dr. Eloy were both fabulous from our first meeting through my sons surgery. Dr. Liu was kind ,considerate and spent a lot of time with us explaining everything. He is a fantastic surgeon and a wonderful caring doctor. We highly recommend him
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Liu, MD?
My mother was diagnosed with a glomus jugulare a little over a year ago. A few years back we noticed that she could not hear out of her right ear. We finally convinced her to go to the doctor. After that she was sent to Dr. Liu and after completing MRI she was diagnosed. Yes it is a delicate procedure but it is worth getting done if diagnosed. Who knows how long my mom would be here if she ignored Dr. Liu recommendation. The tumor could have spread. It's now over a year and shes doing great.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Liu, MD?
Hello..I was wondering if anyone who had a brain tumor removed..can walk me through my recovery..thank you
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Liu, MD?
The minute I met Dr. Liu I felt right at home . He made me feel so comfortable and confident that my Acoustic Neuroma was going to be taken care of, & that’s exactly what he did. He’s an amazing Dr. He’s caring and so thorough with everything you need to know about your situation. He did an amazing job with my surgery. No complications at all. I’m healing really well and my first visit back to him went exceptional! I would recommend him and his team in a minute if you ever need a Neurosurgeon!
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Liu, MD?
My first visit with DrLiu was an extremely good one. Two patients told me without asking I am in good hands. Going in I was extremely confident in the Dr that was going to perform my surgery. I had a hearing loss over the course of five years followed by loss of balance and tinnitus 24/7. An MRI was done and an acoustic neuroma was found. My tumor was pretty big and was sprouting I to my brain. My recovery is beyond my expectations. Moving on and forward. I love him and his team. Blessed
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Liu, MD?
I have been a patient of Dr. Liu since 2015 he is amazing & saved me twice.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Liu, MD?
I have been Dr Liu patient for the last 4 years, I had surgery for acoustic neuroma and had excellent results with no post operative complications. I will recommend Dr Liu for any neurological related procedures.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Liu, MD?
Dr. Lui is amazing . I got done a resection of skull base tumor on my left side of my head. Surgery went excellent. Tomorrow makes5 months since my surgery and I feel great . My scar you can barely see.I will recommend him to everyone . Dr.Lui got bless you and thank you so much . You did an amazing job
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Liu, MD?
He saved my life basically, I couldn’t thank him more. He had me go into the emergency room on the same day of our first day appointment to get scans done and I had a biopsy scheduled the next day. I was diagnosed with Chordoma at age 13, with constant neck pain, tongue tremors, and losing feeling in my arm. I no longer am suffering from pain and migraines and am able to live a normal life and am a sophomore in highschool. Thank you, Dr Liu.
Show more reviews

How was your experience with Dr. Liu?

Rutgers Neurological Institute of New Jersey

Managed Care PPO
Medicaid
Worker's Compensation
Worker's Compensation WC

Check the quality of care at hospitals where Dr. Liu treats patients.

Compare Providers