Dr. James Liu, MD

Dr. James Liu, MD

Neurosurgery  |
Dr. James Liu, MD is a neurosurgery doctor who practices in Newark, NJ. He is 44 years old and has been practicing for 17 years.

90 Bergen St # 8100

Newark, NJ 07103

• Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey
  • Worker's Compensation

Learn about Dr. Liu

See how frequently Dr. Liu performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Meningiomas
Craniectomy, Craniotomy, Surgery of Skull Base, Neuroendoscopy
Brain Surgery
high

Dr. Liu's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

This content was provided by Dr. Liu "We treat patients with the care and respect that each of us deserves"

• Neurosurgery

• Cavernous Malformation Brain
  • Cavernous Malformation of Spine
  • Cerebral Artery Thrombosis
  • Cerebral Hemorrhage
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cerebrovascular Disease

• Craniectomy, Craniotomy, Surgery of Skull Base, Neuroendoscopy
  • Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
  • Endoscopic Endonasal Surgery
  • Epidural Block, Facet Blocks
  • Epidural Lysis of Adhesions (LOA)
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Pituitary Gland Tumor Excision
  • Skull Base Surgery
  • Spinal Fusion
  • Spinal Reconstructive Surgery for Deformities
  • Stereotactic Radiosurgery

No malpractice history found for New Jersey.

• University of California At Los Angeles
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1995
  • New York Medical College
    Medical School | Graduated 2000
  • New York Medical College
    Internship Hospital | Completed 2001
  • University Of Utah School Of Med
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2006
  • Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU)
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2007

Dr. Liu has no media or publications listed.

• Chinese, Cantonese

Dr. Liu does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Liu and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Liu's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Liu to family and friends
Dr. Liu's Performance
in West Orange, new jersey |
Throughout my adult years I would experience waking up during my surgery/ procedure which cause for increase of anesthesia then problems coming from under the sedation some time for days on a ventilator so the fear of notifying any physician of my condition was elevated but several people that cross my path curious why my nose poured I told them it was CSF they recommend Dr. Liu very highly. He made me comfortable at consult, I decided to have the repair and I have been great. He's excellent
in Paterson, NJ |
in NJ |
Dr. Liu removed my skull base tumor this year. Dr Liu is an excellent neurosurgeon from office visits all the way to waking up and being by my bedside after surgery. He has continued to put my fears aside throughout my whole process of major surgery. His compassion towards myself & family was outstanding. He is amazing doctor who takes the time to make sure you are at ease in what could be one of the worst situations of your life. God Bless Dr. Liu.
in LAKEWOOD |
I have no words to thank Dr James Liu for helping me, and being a messenger of God. He came in special to see me in the office and then arranged that I could have surgery within a couple of days and not having to wait months. Post surgery he came to visit me to see how I was feeling. I would highly recommend him to any of my friends who would be in a similar situation.
I was diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia in 2012. After years of suffering and numerous medications and interventions, I found Dr. Liu and he successfully treated my pain symptoms with surgery on March 20, 2017. Since that surgery, I have not experienced any TN pain. The surgery is major surgery, and I did not enter it lightly. It has been five months since the surgery. I remain TN pain free. I thank God for Dr. Liu everyday.
in Newark,NJ |
Dr. James K. Liu is an excellent Neuro-surgeon I had two surgeries with him,one Pituitary tumor,and the other one Meningioma tumor,the recovery was so fast.That was six years ago,and I am okay.
in NJ |
MS, PhD, NJ DR LIU performed a removal of large CP angle meningioma in Jan 2017. Surgery lasted 13.5 hours and the outcome was successful. Facial and hearing nerves salvaged. Hearing returned to normal. Dr. Liu and his staff are amazing ; great bed side manners and he is very attentive to his patients. I am happy that I chose Dr. Liu as my neurosurgeon. He is the top notch doctor and an amazing human being.
New York, NY |
I Abdul Ghani would like to thank doctor James k Liu for the great proformance that he had done with both of my surgery
in Atlanta, GA |
Dr Liu and his staff saved my mom's life. Thank you
in Hoboken, Nj |
Dr. Liu performed my brain surgery in August 2016. He removed two tumors from my head. He's very personable, professional and is the best in his field. I'm convinced. He's very eager to be hands-on with follow up emails and calls and the scar which ran from one ear across the top of my head to the other ear is almost invisible no one can even tell that I had brain surgery. He has a great sense of humor and that helps- it's very calming
in Hillside, NJ |
I wholeheartedly recommend (and I am very proud of), Dr. Liu & the doctors and ancillary staff at the Rutgers Neurological Institute of Neurosurgery, The Rutgers Cancer Center and the University Hospital. Not just for their individual phenomenal medical skills and experience, but I am also very much proud of their patient care and attention. They treated me as if I was the most important person to them.Every day I find something to be grateful and thankful for, because I am alive! Thanks Doc
in Jerseycity NJ |
Dr. James Liu is a great neurosurgeon. I got a very deep sticky tumor in my neck extended to my skull base. and by the help of dr Liu and dr park and dr jyung they succeed to remove this tumor whick took a 16 hours surgery and was in very sensitive place which is impossible to be removed peacefully but dr Liu achieve this. you are from the most excellent doctor i have ever seen in my life. My name is Slma Elbate THANK YOU VERY MUCH DR. LIU FOR SAVING MY LIFE
in Newark NJ |
Dr Liu is warm, professional and an excellent neurosurgeon. He educated me thoroughly and set my expectations accordingly. He saved my life!
in KEYPORT, NJ |
DR LIU HAS BEEN MY DR FOR OVER A YEAR NOW CAN NOT THANK HIM ENOUGH. MY RECENT OPERATION WAS A SKULL BASE MENINGIOMA IN CP ANGLE SAVED FACIAL NERVES AND MY HEARING AND FOR THAT I AM GRATEFUL. ALSO A WONDERFUL STAFF WHO ARE LIKE FAMILY
in Harrison, NJ |
Dr. Liu and his surgical staff rock! Great listener, great surgeon! A man with a wonderful personality!!
in Budd Lake,Nj |
I had EEA for chondrosarcoma of skull base. I was transferred from my local hospital to Newark where Dr Liu performed my surgery. My family & myself are so grateful for Dr Liu and his staff for making me feel safe & always answering any questions we may have. I highly recommend this Dr.
in Guttenberg, NJ |
I had elevated prolactin levels due to a pituary tumor. Under doctor Liu's care I underwent an endoscopic transphenoidal resection of a prolactinoma which resulted in a sucess. Many other doctors recommended treatments that were not helping with my condition and told me it was something I had to deal with my entire life. This doctor gave me hope and provided an alternative to my condition. Thanks to him I am on the way to my normal lifestyle. Dr. Liu is an outstanding neurosurgeon. #1!
in Newark, NJ |
I had a moyamoya diesease and needed to have surgery and Dr.James K. Liusaid he was going to do surgey on my head the procedure is callled STA-MCA bypasss with exelllents reults!!all thanks to dDr.Liu!
in Northern N.J |
I Met Dr.Liu in 2012 He seemed caring until he said,If you want the tumor removed properly & want to preserve the gland to have a baby let me do it I basically wrote on this!I thought he was being arrogant so I got a 2nd option. I went to Philly. I mentioned Dr.Liu to that Dr.he said,OMG he taught my class & wrote a book on this! I was shocked. I went back to Liu.He removed my Brain Tumor 11/26/12 & I was pregnant 2months later.Most Docs can't preserve that gland. Thank God for Dr.Liu! Amen
in Clementon, NJ |
I was first diagnosed back in 2008 after accident where I needed a CT scan. The doctors after Jefferson University found a 2cmm lesion on my brain. After seeing 2 brain surgeons that did not specialize in Skull base brain tumors, I was finally recommend to Dr. Liu in 2010. When I met with Dr. Liu I knew from that moment he was going to be my permeant Doctor. He sat with me and discussed my MRI imagines in detail. I had a Jugular forman meningioma. Resulted in 3 part brain surgery.
in Bridgeton, NJ |
Lui has removed several hemoblastomas for my rare condition vonhippolindo. He was recommended to me in 2012 when my daughter had a major surgery where several tumors were removed by Lui.We were told she had no hope, but Lui performed the surgery and it was a success. Hes performed 2 different surgerys on me with a no blood process. My daugther and i trust his decissions when it comes to our health. He is always a pleassure and shows our family kindness
in Wallington, NJ |
I had cushing syndrome and am now cured after 2 years, all thanks to Dr. Liu. Dr. Liu is always a pleasure and he is very knowledgeable and great at what he does.
in Woodbridge, NJ |
I had my pituitary tumor removed by Dr. Liu whom Dr. Haidri recommended and which he assured me that Dr. Liu is a Brilliant doctor. True enough, Dr. Liu is Highly Competent, Sincere in Caring for his patient or I would say Compassionate to the highest level and Brilliant. GOD has gifted him this much talent at a young age to help a lot of people. There is not much space to write and to describe how I know his sincerity but I had experienced it first hand. I am truly blessed to know Dr. Liu.
in Colonia, NJ |
Brilliant and dedicated doctor.
Have you seen Dr. James Liu, MD?
Are you Dr. Liu?