Dr. James Leipzig, MD

Dr. James Leipzig, MD

Orthopedic Spine Surgery  ·

Dr. James Leipzig, MD is an orthopedic spine surgery specialist in Salem, VA and has been practicing for 28 years. He specializes in orthopedic spine surgery and physical medicine & rehabilitation.

Insurance accepted

Pathway X Tier Hosp HealthKeepers DirectAccess VA
Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield
KeyCare PPO
Coventry Health Care
Southern Health PPO
Medicaid
Tricare

No malpractice claims found for Virginia

Check Dr. Leipzig's experience treating your condition or procedure

Dr. Leipzig's Top Procedures and Conditions

Back Pain

Dr. Leipzig treats Back Pain more than 94% of his peers

Dr. Leipzig treats this condition more than 94% of his peers

Spine Disorders

Dr. Leipzig treats Spine Disorders more than 92% of his peers

Dr. Leipzig treats this condition more than 92% of his peers

Rating Includes other areas of care:

• Arthritis of the Spine
  • Degenerative Spine Diseases
  • Ossification of the Posterior Longitudinal Ligament of the Spine
  • Pediatric Spinal Tumor
  • Progressive Spinal Muscular Atrophy
  • Progressive Spinobulbar Muscular Atrophy
  • Spinal Cord Tumor
  • Spinal Dysostosis, Anhalt Type
  • Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA)
  • Spinal Muscular Atrophy, Ryukyuan Type

• Chronic Pain
  • Disc Replacement
  • Elbow Bursitis
  • EMG (Electromyography)
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Hand Fracture
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Hip Sprain
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Lumbar Fusion
  • Lumbar Spinal Stenosis
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Microdiscectomy
  • Microsurgical Procedure
  • Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Neuroplasty
  • Osteoarthritis of Ankle and Foot
  • Post-Concussion Syndrome
  • Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy
  • Spinal Cord Injury
  • Thoracic Spine Myelopathy
  • Torticollis
  • Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS)
  • Trigger Finger
  • Upper Back Pain
  • Vertebral Column Tumors

It is the responsibility of the physician to spend time with their patients and discuss all aspects of their medical or surgical care, as well as involving their families. This leads to better decisions and better outcomes.

• Orthopedic Spine Surgery

4.4

Dr. Leipzig?
Dr. Leipzig's Performance
What People Say About Dr. James Leipzig, MD
Fantastic experience. As a healthcare provider I respect how well the entire practice is run. Every staff member was personable, courteous, and professional. They explained things clearly to me. They valued my time as well. Dr. Leipzig was warm, engaging, and took a detailed history before beginning the exam. He explained things clearly to me and made sure I understood the plan of action. I would highly recommend Dr. Leipzig and staff to others.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Leipzig, MD?
I was referred to Dr. Leipzig after having an MRI that indicated I needed surgery. Dr. Leipzig looked carefully at the MRI and said that I was mis-diagnosed, and that surgery was not what I needed after all. It was a great relief, and I was glad I was sent to a surgeon who didn't take advantage of the opportunity to do unnecessary surgery. He spent time with me and my husband explaining everything, and we felt much better after leaving is office.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Leipzig, MD?
Unfortunately I was quite disappointed by Dr. Leipzig‘s personal manner he spent most of the consultation shaming me for not seeing a hand specialist when I turned to him for a second opinion regarding my my leprosy and spinal stenosis diagnosis he was flippant and condescending and when he asked me why I had not seen a hand surgeon , I replied that I have been told my loss of motor skill was related to my neck
Thank you for your rating. We would like to learn...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Leipzig, MD?
Dr. Leipzig and his staff are the VERY BEST!!! I would Highly recommend them!!! They are all very professional, caring and genuinely concerned with your condition. Definitely give them a call!!
Our practice aims to deliver the highest quality...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Leipzig, MD?
Excellent surgeon and wonderful staff. I selected this MD for his experience.
Thank you for your review, L. Alexander! We value...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Leipzig, MD?
I have been a patient of Dr. Leipzig for almost 20 years. He has done 3 spinal surgeries on me and several procedures. I have always been impressed on the many types of surgeries he is very well qualified to do. I think he is a doctor that tries to focus on the best solution for the individual patient and makes his decisions to do the right type of surgeries thereof. I think his top priority is always to help to make life better for the patient.
Thank you for taking the time to leave your...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Leipzig, MD?
Dr. Leipzig and his staff treated myself and my wife with respect and made sure we where well informed.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Leipzig, MD?
Dr Leipzig and staff are absolutely amazing. I am grateful for all he did for me. He is knowledgeable, and highly recommended. He is straightforward and honest. He took me seriously and throughly took time to address images and problem. He explained procedure and risks. Answered all questions. Gave me a peace about having procedure. I wouldn't trust another surgeon to work on my back! His front desk clerk, Janice, and Patrick were all wonderful and made a great patient experience.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Leipzig, MD?
Dr. Leipzig gave me back my quality of life. I was in a great deal of pain and now it's all gone. I can do what I use to do but better thanks to this man Would I recommend him to others you bet. He gave my life back to me.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Leipzig, MD?
Dr. Leipzig was very patient in explaining everything Staff members were very friendly and efficient. They answered all of my questions and were very professional. Janice, his nurse was especially helpful in many ways.
Lori, Thank you for taking the time to leave your...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Leipzig, MD?
I would highly recommend Dr. Leipzig not only to family and friends but to all those I speak to about spine surgery. He has made my life worth living again!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Leipzig, MD?
Dr. Leipzig and staff are outstanding as they have provided me excellent health care and have always treated me with the upmost respect. Dr. Leipzig gave me my life back in that I can now perform normal activities that were impossible prior to my surgery!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Leipzig, MD?
I couldn't have made a better choice than Dr. Leipzig and his office staff. Very professional and easy to talk too !!! Recommend !!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Leipzig, MD?
I recently had extensive spinal surgery and there are not enough words for me to express the excellent care, before and after surgery; the professionalism of Dr. Leipzig and his entire staff and associates; Dr. Leipzig's vast knowledge of my situation and needs and his ability to correct my problems with the surgery being perfect!!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Leipzig, MD?
Dr. Leipzig is an excellent surgeon. He explained my condition thoroughly and laid to rest any concerns regarding my surgery. He always took the time to ensure I understood my condition and the procedures required to correct my problem. The surgery was complex ( in my mind ), but Dr. Leipzig did a fantastic job. My recovery is going great and all my previous issues have been resolved. I can't thank Dr. Leipzig and his staff enough for the exceptional care I have been given.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Leipzig, MD?
I was referred to Dr Leipzig for an additional consultation. Dr Leipzig was very thorough with his review and sensitive to my apprehension. His professionalism helped eliminate my immediate concern. Going forward his recommendations are exactly what I was hoping to hear. He included my input and has provided me with a practical and balanced path forward. I would willingly recommend him to anyone in need of the services his practice provides.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Leipzig, MD?
Great "bedside" manner with good understanding and communication.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Leipzig, MD?
Dr Leipzig, Patrick, nurse Janet and his entire staff have displayed compassion during this most painful experience of my life. They worked me in at the request of my primary Dr and had me scheduled for surgery within days. Dr Leipzig and Patrick made sure all of my questions were answered, i was comfortable and never rushed during any of my appointments.Surgery was successful and i will forever be grateful for this team! Thank you!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Leipzig, MD?
First of all, you can tell a lot about a Dr by his front office help. The office workers & nurses here are always so cheerful & helpful. Dr Leipzig is an excellent surgeon, but he also takes the time to hear your concerns & answer your questions. If I ever need more back surgery, I will definitely be scheduling with Dr Leipzig again. A good surgeon will fix your problem, a great surgeon will be honest if he cannot fix your problem. This is definitely Dr Leipzig.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Leipzig, MD?
Dr. Leipzig is Great! He found 2 disc in my neck pinching my spinal cord and scheduled my surgery ASAP. My surgery went great and i went home the next day. It’s been a year and my neck feels a lot better than before and i have no issues except a little arthritis and that always comes with bones issues. Ty Dr Leipzig. He now is my choice of doing a lower back surgery. it will be scheduled in the next month. I recommend Dr.Leipzig, he only does surgery if it’s the only option.
Show more reviews

How was your experience with Dr. Leipzig?

Check the quality of care at hospitals where Dr. Leipzig treats patients.