Dr. James C. Johnston, MD

Dr. James C. Johnston, MD

Adult Reconstructive Orthopedic Surgery | Male | 40 years old

My philosophy is simply to give each patient the best possible care. In hip and knee arthritis often times non-surgical care is the best. In my experience each patient is unique and there is no "right time" to do surgery. It is important to be patient and tailor the treatment to each individual. Once the pain becomes intolerable despite non-operative management we use a shared decision making program to decide whether it is time to do a joint replacement. The two criteria are bone on bone arthritis and severe pain that limits you from doing everyday activities despite non-operative treatments. GivIng each patient the best possible care requires an individualized approach. We emphasize communication, education and safety to achieve long lasting durable pain relief for patients with arthritic hips and knees.Read more

Personal Bio

Dr. Johnston's Experience

See how Dr. Johnston's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Johnston

Dr. Johnston accepts 1 insurance carrier

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Johnston has admitting privileges.

Hospital Quality Awards

Experience with Dr. Johnston
Dr. Johnston's Office & Staff
    10 – 15 minutes (10)
Dr. Johnston Says:

Thank you for taking the time to fill out this survey. Websites like this help us to ensure that we are giving the best care to all of our patients. I appreciate your positive feedback. My office staff and I work hard to provide world class care to every patient every day. If there is anything I or my office staff can do for you please give us a call at 207-621-8700.

in Augusta, ME |
He really spent a lot of time answering my parents' questions and when my mom decided to have her hip replacement it all went very smoothly. The office staff was very courteous. The joint classes were helpful and the hospital was clean and the nurses were so nice. She is doing wonderfully. I am very grateful.
in Winthrop, ME |
Dr. Johnston spent a lot of time with us explaining the various options and answering our questions. I am now a year out from my knee replacement and thrilled with the results. I can exercise without any pain in the knee. I am so happy to have a surgeon like I'm so close to our home.
in Augusta Maine |
Dr. Johnston is a great surgeon. He did my hip replacement 3 years ago and recently I came back for my knee replacement on the other side. The experience has been fantastic. I would recommend him to anyone.
in Augusta, ME |
Dr Johnston is an outstanding physician. He has excellent bedside manner and I could not be happier with the results from my knee replacements.
in Augusta, ME |
Dr. Johnson has always been considered one of the very best Clinicians in Maine. Such proved to be true in my knee replacement. Discomfort with minimal. Healing was rapid. This surgeon is wonderfully gifted!
Waterville, ME |
Would not recommend.
Have you seen Dr. James C. Johnston, MD?
Are you Dr. Johnston?

Compare Dr. Johnston

Dr. Johnston says...

Dr. Johnston is a board certified, fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeon specializing in the surgical treatment of hip and knee disorders. He is driven by a desire to provide world-class personalized care for patients with hip and knee arthritis close to home. His training at Johns Hopkins Hospital and the Mayo Clinic utilizing state of the art technology, minimally invasive approaches and rapid recovery protocols has lead to outstanding patient outcomes.

He completed his 5 year Orthopaedic Surgery residency at the Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland which was ranked as the #1 hospital in the United States for over 20 years in a row. There he worked with pioneers in the world of joint replacement and won the award for the best resident research project for his work on the cellular changes that lead to avascular necrosis.

During his fellowship in hip and knee replacements at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota he worked closely with some of the world's pre-eminent experts in hip and knee replacements. He learned all aspects of primary and revision hip and knee replacements by assisting in surgery, participating in research and preparing weekly educational case seminars.  Most importantly he learned the ideals that the Mayo Brothers lived by; that "The care of the patient comes first" and "The only needs to be considered are the needs of the patient'.

Since entering practice in 2012 Dr. Johnston has used his training to help grow the MaineGeneral Joint Replacement Program where hundreds of joint replacements are now done annually. The program has a strong emphasis on patient education, communication, quality and safety. Each patient participates in a class on joint replacement that Dr. Johnston helped to develop.  In the operating room he has helped to develop a team centered approach that allows him to do these complex surgeries safely and efficiently with Oscar Falconer PA-C assisting on every surgery. After surgery, modern pain protocols and a team of nurses, and physical and occupational therapists trained in joint replacements allow early mobilization on the dedicated joint replacement unit. This teamwork ensures the best chance of quality outcomes and helps the vast majority of patients to go directly home after surgery. All patient outcomes are followed using using scientifically proven questionaires at 6 months and 1,2, 5 and 10 year points after surgery to monitor quality and data is reviewed at quarterly multi-disciplinary program meetings.

In addition to his board certification in orthopedic surgery Dr. Johnston is a fellow in the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons which allows him to stay current on cutting edge research and new trends in joint replacement.

Dr. Johnston's Care Philosophy

My philosophy is simply to give each patient the best possible care. In hip and knee arthritis often times non-surgical care is the best.  In my experience each patient is unique and there is no "right time" to do surgery.  It is important to be patient and tailor the treatment to each individual.

Dr. Johnston says...

My training at Johns Hopkins Hospital and the Mayo Clinic have given me the opportunity to learn from the world's experts in orthopedic surgery and hip and knee replacements.

By sub-specializing in hip and knee arthritis treatment I have been able to develop an efficient, team based approach to diagnosing and treating patients.

Through membership in the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons I am able to continually update our protocols using evidence based treatments to bring word class care close to patients.

Dr. Johnston says...

Each year I log thousands of patient visits in my clinic at the MaineGeneral Musculoskeletal center in Augusta.  Nearly all of whom are over the age of 50 with hip or knee pain. By specializing in hip and knee arthritis and seeing such a large volume of patients I have a unique opportunity to hone my diagnostic skills and efficiently determine the cause of the pain and the best treatment regimen.

Joint replacements are complicated stepwise procedures that require a team including the surgeon, physician assistant, nurses, scrub techs, and anesthesiologists. By doing hundreds of surgeries annually, I have been able to develop an efficient OR team that allows us to complete even the most complicated surgeries safely and efficiently.

Dr. Johnston says...

Dr. Johnston's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Adult Reconstructive Orthopedic Surgery
  •  No board certification on record with Healthgrades
  •  Malpractice claims in Maine not available

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Maine.

• Avascular Necrosis

Mayo Clin

Completed in 2012

Franklin and Marshall College

Graduated in 1998

Dr. Johnston does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Johnston and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Adult Reconstructive Orthopedic Surgery

• Total Hip Replacement
  • Total Knee Replacement
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate

You've got options

We're finding other great Providers for you to consider.