Dr. James Hoski, MD

Orthopedic SurgeryMaleAge 62

Dr. Hoski

Mission Hospital

509 Biltmore Ave Asheville, NC 28801

Dr. James Hoski, MD is a Orthopedic Surgery Specialist in Asheville, NC and has over 36 years of experience in the medical field. He graduated from University of Michigan Medical School medical school in 1985. He is affiliated with medical facilities Mission Hospital and Rutherford Regional Medical Center. He is accepting new patients. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Hoski to book an appointment.

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Orthopedic Surgery Specialists in your area

Hospital Highlight

Dr. Hoski is affiliated with Mission Hospital Asheville, a highly rated and top awarded hospital for orthopedic surgery.

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Practices at Top Hospital
    Joint Replacement Excellence Award™ See hospitals
  • Trustworthy
    Patients said this doctor is trustworthy. See reviews

No malpractice claims found for North Carolina

Check Dr. Hoski's experience treating your condition or procedure

Dr. Hoski's Top Procedures and Conditions

Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement)

Dr. Hoski treats Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement) more than 95% of his peers

Dr. Hoski treats this condition more than 95% of his peers

• Polyneuritis
  • Radiculitis
  • Ulnar Neuritis
  • Vestibular Neuritis
Hide other areas of care
Spondylolisthesis

• Ankle Fracture
  • Ankylosing Spondylitis
  • Arthritis of the Elbow
  • Broken Neck
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Coccygeal Pain
  • Hip Sprain
  • Knee and Leg Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
  • Knee and Lower Leg Fracture Treatment, Closed
  • Kyphoplasty, Percutaneous
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Laminoforaminotomy
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Thoracic Spine Myelopathy
  • Tibia and Fibula Fractures
  • Unicompartmental Hip Surgery

Dr. Hoski accepts

Dr. Hoski accepts the following insurance:

AARP
CHAMPVA
CoreSource
Coventry Health Care
Golden Rule
Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
GEHA
Veteran Administration Plan

Dr. Hoski's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Hoski

Dr. Hoski
You cannot get into to see Dr. Hoski. I have been trying for over 2 weeks. I had an MRI ON 7/5 which stated I have lithesis at L4-L5. I have been in pain for over 2 1/2 months on a daily basis. I need to see an doctor to go over the results and tell me my options. According to his scheduler, Connie, I may not see him unless I need surgery. His staff is non-responsive and when they finally called back, they claim the never received my MRI report even though the radiology facility has a confirmation and they can only see 3 of the 4 images on the CD. These people are denying me medical care and as soon as I’m on my feet, I will report this office to whomever oversees it.
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
Rms – Jul 20, 2021
Dr Hoski performed a triple discectomy on my neck in 06’ & a double laminectomy on my low back in 14’. No neck pain or stiffness since, & no leg pain or sciatica since. Do what he tells you after surgery (exercise consistently) & you will do great. Fantastic surgeon.
Bill Morris – Mar 01, 2021
Dr. Hoski and his team are top notch. He has gotten me through two major surgeries. I couldn't say enough about his caring and expertise. I was able to get off oxycodone completely after second surgery. Eternally grateful.
Kate Smith – Dec 28, 2020
Excellent doctor. He performed a cervical fusion on my husband that eliminated his debilitating pain after a serious automobile accident. The anesthesiologist and nurses told us, unprompted, that Dr. Hoski was the best and who they would go to for care. We can attest to that now.
Jan 30, 2020
I have a long history of surgeries and interacting with doctors and I have found Dr. Hoski to be not only a very skilled surgeon but also have a great ability to explain what and why he is doing something.
MacO' – Jan 15, 2020
I had bilateral herniated disc at L4L5. I had slipped on a wet floor in late June. I live in Maggie Valley. After ineffective treatment at Haywood (2 epidurals and3 merve root blocks) I asked for an appointment at Carolina Spine with Dr. James Hoski. My GP, Dr. Stringfield assisted in getting me the appointment. From the very beginning I felt comfortable with Dr. Hoski. Because the pain moved from my right leg to my left, Dr. Hoski ordered another MRI. This MRI showed the bilateral nature of my herniation. Dr Hoski recommended minimally invasive microscopic bilateral discectomy. I had the operation of October 14th. Almost immediately I had no pain following the surgery. With the exception of 3 1/2 weeks in August (following the first epidural) I had been in pain and on opiods. Dr. Hoski and his staff have been nothing but professional and caring. I have recommended him to a number of folks in Maggie. I am very pleased with the surgery and the follow-up PT. Thank you.
William Chamberlin – Dec 05, 2019
Dr. Hoski possesses amazing personal & professional skills and i would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone requiring his type of medical services.
Harold Brown 8/17/37 – Nov 27, 2019
Excellent Doctor. Very professional, thorough and easy to talk with
  • Long wait times
Catherine Cordell – Nov 21, 2019
Post surgery
macmik1950 – Nov 15, 2019
This was my third surgery with Dr. Hoski. He is very knowledgeable & all my surgeries has done exactly what they were supposed to do. If I had to have more surgeries I would not want any other Doctor.
Zachary Mason – Nov 08, 2019
took time to review symptoms and discuss needed procedure I can now feel my leg and hip pain is gone.
sherrie cashion – Oct 20, 2019
From our first meeting to discuss the results of my MRI(which showed severe spinal stenosis) to our final, post-op meeting to assess the results of the surgery that Dr. Hoski performed on my spine, Dr. Hoski was professional, personal, and precise. He explained my options clearly, and he took the time to answer all my questions and to explain every step of the procedure he would undertake to address my condition. The surgery he performed improved my condition 100%, and I have recovered fully and completely from the operation. Given my experience, I would recommend Dr. Hoski as a skilled, highly knowledgeable and highly competent surgeon. Back surgery is a big deal, and I feel lucky that I found a caring, effective medical professional who was up to the challenge.
Jim Kistner – Oct 02, 2019
Dr. Hoski performed spinal fusion surgery on me in May of 2019 - my second such surgery, almost fifty years after my first. My entire experience, from initial meeting to my final follow-up appointment in September, was exemplary. His staff, along with the staff at Mission Hospital, conducted themselves professionally every step of the way, and I strongly recommend them to anyone who needs their services. Maybe best of all was the kindness and sincerity displayed by Dr. Hoski at all times. His personal touch is a major facet of my healing experience, and I'll be forever grateful for the amazing work performed by the good Dr. and his team...
William Hughes – Sep 18, 2019
Dr. Hoski found my spine issue on the 1st visit following the MRI he ordered. I had been in severe pain for 8 months and had no relief from any other doctor, therapy, chiropractor, acupuncture, massage, or treatment. I felt I had exhausted all avenues until I found Dr. Hoski. He found a cyst on my spine and scheduled surgery. Surgery was an IMMEDIATE FIX!!!! When I woke from surgery the pain was gone. He is first and foremost, a good listener and cares about the patient. Secondly he is first in class as a surgeon in my opinion! My recovery was seamless and the scaring is minimal. I had 2 follow up visits and have been released. I am working 12 hour days at my job and also working a 10 acre farm, mowing, wood cutting, etc. Back to my old healthy self! I cannot say enough about Dr. Hoski and I would recommend anyone to him for care. I hope I never need him, but if I do, his office will be the first call I make! Thank you Dr. Hoski!
Bill McCall – Sep 18, 2019
Dr Hoski is a wonderful Dr who takes time to explain everything about the procedure and what to expect. He is thorough in his exam. He is also genuinely a nice person.
Sep 12, 2019
I was recommended to Dr. James Hoski by a friend, so thankful she did! I was very impressed by him from the very first consult and throughout my surgery! Excellent bedside manner!!! Very knowledgeable in explaining in laymen terms to help understand what his plan was and what was needed to take care of my back pain. I was diagnosed with spinal stenosis in my L3-4, 4-5. My surgery went great and I had very little pain which he prescribed meds to ensure I would be comfortable! I was impressed with Dr. Hoski upon meeting him and he took care of me during the entire journey, along with his staff, up until now and I am confident that he will be as concerned until I am completely healed, which is a year from surgery. I am almost 3 months out and basically have been pain free, which was not the case before surgery, I was in constant pain! I plan to see him in about 3 weeks for another x-ray. Thank you Dr. Hoski, you are indeed the best! I recommend him highly for any orthopedic needs! :)
Angela G. Lail – Sep 09, 2019
Dr. Hoski performed Level 3 ACDF on my neck on June 10th. The pain I had before surgery was unbearable, even more so in my arm than my neck. The pain was gone the moment I came out of surgery, and I've had no pain since. The recovery was not nearly as difficult as I feared. In addition to being an amazing surgeon, Dr. Hoski has a wonderful manner with his patients. He listens and invites questions. I could not possibly have a higher opinion of Dr. Hoski as a doctor and a surgeon.
H. Pierson – Aug 13, 2019
I had three previous spinal surgeries by a Neurosurgeon at CSNC. The surgeries were successful. In May of 2019 I contacted my Neurosurgeon again concerning debilitating pain I was feeling down my left leg. Unfortunately I saw a PA that saw no reason to do anything for me other than to give me something for inflammation and send me on my way. My eventual meeting with my Neurosurgeon after having a myelogram showed no obstruction and I received a nerve block. The nerve block was as bad as my initial reason for returning to CSNC.I knew I couldn’t go through the procedure again. I requested a second opinion from Dr Hoski. He took the time to listen to me and look at all my films and noticed that my spine was not straight by using state of the art computer programs hence using the degree of angles to substantiate my complaints of pain. He agreed to perform surgery on me. I am successfully fused from L-2 to S-1 due to Dr Hoski’s understanding of my predicament. I can not thank him enough
Donna Batson – Aug 10, 2019
From the initial visit to post surgical care, Dr. Hoski has been excellent in his care. He is very professional, along with being very kind and caring. I would definitely recommend him to family and friends.
Tyrone G. Allen – Aug 03, 2019
My primary doctor referred me to Dr. Hoski after having lower back pain and going to the chiropractor for months. I was diagnosed with spinal stenosis L3 after having an MRI. I was very impressed with Dr. Hoski who took time to explain and go over the surgical procedure and recovery thoroughly. He answered all my concerns and questions giving me full confidence in having the surgery. The surgery was very successful, I am pain-free. Dr. Hoski is a great communicator, very personable, very knowledgable, and very easy to talk with. He is a great surgeon and I would recommend him to anyone with back or neck issues. All the staff was very helpful and friendly.
George DeWald – Jul 31, 2019

How was your experience with Dr. Hoski?

1991