Dr. James Hoski, MD

Dr. Hoski
Spine, and More

Carolina Spine & Neurosurgery

7 Vanderbilt Park Dr Asheville, NC 28803

Dr. James Hoski, MD is a Orthopedic Surgery Specialist in Asheville, NC and has over 35 years of experience in the medical field. Dr. Hoski has more experience with Spine than other specialists in his area. He graduated from University of Michigan Medical School medical school in 1985. He is affiliated with medical facilities Mission Hospital - Asheville and Rutherford Regional Medical Center. He is accepting new patients. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Hoski to book an appointment.

Compare Providers

Quickly compare more Orthopedic Surgery Specialists in your area

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Practices at Top Hospital
    Joint Replacement Excellence Award™ See hospitals
  • Hospital Satisfaction

Dr. Hoski accepts

Dr. Hoski accepts the following insurance:

AARP
CHAMPVA
CoreSource
Coventry Health Care
Golden Rule
Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
GEHA
Tricare
Veteran Administration Plan

No malpractice claims found for North Carolina

Frequently Treated by Dr. Hoski

Based on treatment records, we have identified the following as areas of care that Dr. Hoski treats more often than their peers. If you are unsure whether Dr. Hoski treats other conditions, please contact the office at (828) 255-7776.

Spine

Spine specialists diagnose and treat conditions affecting the bones of the spine, including degenerative spine disease, herniated discs, stenosis, and fractured vertebrae, with treatments including medication, physical therapy, and surgery.Compare with other Spine specialists.

Typically treats 80% more than similar doctors

Based on claims data for 16 conditions and procedures

TreatmentsTreatment Frequency
Spinal Reconstructive Surgery for Deformities

Dr. Hoski performs Spinal Reconstructive Surgery for Deformities more than 98% of their peers

Dr. Hoski performs this procedure more than 98% of their peers

Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement)

Dr. Hoski treats Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement) more than 96% of their peers

Dr. Hoski treats this condition more than 96% of their peers

• Ganglion Cyst
  • Gout
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Knee Sprain
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Lupus
  • Neck Muscle Strain
  • Neck Strain (incl. Whiplash Injury)
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Neuroplasty
  • Rotator Cuff Tear
  • Sacrum Disorders
  • Sjögren's Syndrome
  • Spinal Fusion
  • Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA)
  • Spinal Nerve Block

Dr. Hoski's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Hoski

1.2195121951219512%

Dr. Hoski?
Excellent doctor. He performed a cervical fusion on my husband that eliminated his debilitating pain after a serious automobile accident. The anesthesiologist and nurses told us, unprompted, that Dr. Hoski was the best and who they would go to for care. We can attest to that now.
Jan 30, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Hoski, MD?
I have a long history of surgeries and interacting with doctors and I have found Dr. Hoski to be not only a very skilled surgeon but also have a great ability to explain what and why he is doing something.
MacO' – Jan 15, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Hoski, MD?
I had bilateral herniated disc at L4L5. I had slipped on a wet floor in late June. I live in Maggie Valley. After ineffective treatment at Haywood (2 epidurals and3 merve root blocks) I asked for an appointment at Carolina Spine with Dr. James Hoski. My GP, Dr. Stringfield assisted in getting me the appointment. From the very beginning I felt comfortable with Dr. Hoski. Because the pain moved from my right leg to my left, Dr. Hoski ordered another MRI. This MRI showed the bilateral nature of my herniation. Dr Hoski recommended minimally invasive microscopic bilateral discectomy. I had the operation of October 14th. Almost immediately I had no pain following the surgery. With the exception of 3 1/2 weeks in August (following the first epidural) I had been in pain and on opiods. Dr. Hoski and his staff have been nothing but professional and caring. I have recommended him to a number of folks in Maggie. I am very pleased with the surgery and the follow-up PT. Thank you.
William Chamberlin – Dec 05, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Hoski, MD?
Dr. Hoski possesses amazing personal & professional skills and i would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone requiring his type of medical services.
Harold Brown 8/17/37 – Nov 27, 2019
Excellent Doctor. Very professional, thorough and easy to talk with
Catherine Cordell – Nov 21, 2019
Post surgery
macmik1950 – Nov 15, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Hoski, MD?
This was my third surgery with Dr. Hoski. He is very knowledgeable & all my surgeries has done exactly what they were supposed to do. If I had to have more surgeries I would not want any other Doctor.
Zachary Mason – Nov 08, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Hoski, MD?
took time to review symptoms and discuss needed procedure I can now feel my leg and hip pain is gone.
sherrie cashion – Oct 20, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Hoski, MD?
From our first meeting to discuss the results of my MRI(which showed severe spinal stenosis) to our final, post-op meeting to assess the results of the surgery that Dr. Hoski performed on my spine, Dr. Hoski was professional, personal, and precise. He explained my options clearly, and he took the time to answer all my questions and to explain every step of the procedure he would undertake to address my condition. The surgery he performed improved my condition 100%, and I have recovered fully and completely from the operation. Given my experience, I would recommend Dr. Hoski as a skilled, highly knowledgeable and highly competent surgeon. Back surgery is a big deal, and I feel lucky that I found a caring, effective medical professional who was up to the challenge.
Jim Kistner – Oct 02, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Hoski, MD?
Dr. Hoski performed spinal fusion surgery on me in May of 2019 - my second such surgery, almost fifty years after my first. My entire experience, from initial meeting to my final follow-up appointment in September, was exemplary. His staff, along with the staff at Mission Hospital, conducted themselves professionally every step of the way, and I strongly recommend them to anyone who needs their services. Maybe best of all was the kindness and sincerity displayed by Dr. Hoski at all times. His personal touch is a major facet of my healing experience, and I'll be forever grateful for the amazing work performed by the good Dr. and his team...
William Hughes – Sep 18, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Hoski, MD?
Dr. Hoski found my spine issue on the 1st visit following the MRI he ordered. I had been in severe pain for 8 months and had no relief from any other doctor, therapy, chiropractor, acupuncture, massage, or treatment. I felt I had exhausted all avenues until I found Dr. Hoski. He found a cyst on my spine and scheduled surgery. Surgery was an IMMEDIATE FIX!!!! When I woke from surgery the pain was gone. He is first and foremost, a good listener and cares about the patient. Secondly he is first in class as a surgeon in my opinion! My recovery was seamless and the scaring is minimal. I had 2 follow up visits and have been released. I am working 12 hour days at my job and also working a 10 acre farm, mowing, wood cutting, etc. Back to my old healthy self! I cannot say enough about Dr. Hoski and I would recommend anyone to him for care. I hope I never need him, but if I do, his office will be the first call I make! Thank you Dr. Hoski!
Bill McCall – Sep 18, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Hoski, MD?
Dr Hoski is a wonderful Dr who takes time to explain everything about the procedure and what to expect. He is thorough in his exam. He is also genuinely a nice person.
Sep 12, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Hoski, MD?
I was recommended to Dr. James Hoski by a friend, so thankful she did! I was very impressed by him from the very first consult and throughout my surgery! Excellent bedside manner!!! Very knowledgeable in explaining in laymen terms to help understand what his plan was and what was needed to take care of my back pain. I was diagnosed with spinal stenosis in my L3-4, 4-5. My surgery went great and I had very little pain which he prescribed meds to ensure I would be comfortable! I was impressed with Dr. Hoski upon meeting him and he took care of me during the entire journey, along with his staff, up until now and I am confident that he will be as concerned until I am completely healed, which is a year from surgery. I am almost 3 months out and basically have been pain free, which was not the case before surgery, I was in constant pain! I plan to see him in about 3 weeks for another x-ray. Thank you Dr. Hoski, you are indeed the best! I recommend him highly for any orthopedic needs! :)
Angela G. Lail – Sep 09, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Hoski, MD?
Dr. Hoski performed Level 3 ACDF on my neck on June 10th. The pain I had before surgery was unbearable, even more so in my arm than my neck. The pain was gone the moment I came out of surgery, and I've had no pain since. The recovery was not nearly as difficult as I feared. In addition to being an amazing surgeon, Dr. Hoski has a wonderful manner with his patients. He listens and invites questions. I could not possibly have a higher opinion of Dr. Hoski as a doctor and a surgeon.
H. Pierson – Aug 13, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Hoski, MD?
I had three previous spinal surgeries by a Neurosurgeon at CSNC. The surgeries were successful. In May of 2019 I contacted my Neurosurgeon again concerning debilitating pain I was feeling down my left leg. Unfortunately I saw a PA that saw no reason to do anything for me other than to give me something for inflammation and send me on my way. My eventual meeting with my Neurosurgeon after having a myelogram showed no obstruction and I received a nerve block. The nerve block was as bad as my initial reason for returning to CSNC.I knew I couldn’t go through the procedure again. I requested a second opinion from Dr Hoski. He took the time to listen to me and look at all my films and noticed that my spine was not straight by using state of the art computer programs hence using the degree of angles to substantiate my complaints of pain. He agreed to perform surgery on me. I am successfully fused from L-2 to S-1 due to Dr Hoski’s understanding of my predicament. I can not thank him enough
Donna Batson – Aug 10, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Hoski, MD?
From the initial visit to post surgical care, Dr. Hoski has been excellent in his care. He is very professional, along with being very kind and caring. I would definitely recommend him to family and friends.
Tyrone G. Allen – Aug 03, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Hoski, MD?
My primary doctor referred me to Dr. Hoski after having lower back pain and going to the chiropractor for months. I was diagnosed with spinal stenosis L3 after having an MRI. I was very impressed with Dr. Hoski who took time to explain and go over the surgical procedure and recovery thoroughly. He answered all my concerns and questions giving me full confidence in having the surgery. The surgery was very successful, I am pain-free. Dr. Hoski is a great communicator, very personable, very knowledgable, and very easy to talk with. He is a great surgeon and I would recommend him to anyone with back or neck issues. All the staff was very helpful and friendly.
George DeWald – Jul 31, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Hoski, MD?
He spent lots of time with us, answered all our questions, sometimes even before we asked.
Jul 25, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Hoski, MD?
I was referred to Dr. Hoski by another Dr. at Carolina Spine & Neurosurgery for back pain. Dr. Hoski set up an appointment for surgery and since then I have been pain free. I am totally impressed by the whole experience dealing with him and his staff and I would highly recommend him and Carolina Spine to anyone with back pain to be evaluated.
Raymond Thompson – Jul 03, 2019
12 week check up after surgery
Thomas Curtis – Jun 15, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Hoski, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Hoski?

1991