Dr. James Halloran, MD

Orthopedic Surgery | Male

Dr. James Halloran, MD
Dr. Halloran's primary clinical interest focuses on diagnosis and treatment of conditions involving the knee, ankle, and foot. He has completed fellowship training in both sports medicine and foot/ankle surgery. This is a very unique combination of skills that gives Dr. Halloran additional insight into the cause of many lower extremity injuries. He has in depth knowledge regarding bone and ligamentous injuries of the knee, ankle, and foot with extensive experience in arthroscopic and minimally invasive management of these complex conditions. Furthermore, Dr. Halloran has received comprehensive training from world renowned experts in total ankle arthroplasty and cartilage restoration at Duke University. These are very complex procedures, but can return function to an active person. Using a combination of 3 different total ankle replacement systems and a multitude of cartilage restoration techniques he is able to tailor the ankle treatment to best fit each patient's needs. Dr. Halloran's commitment to an active lifestyle and athletics is evident in both his personal belief that activity leads to better health and his involvement with sports teams. Throughout his training, Dr. Halloran has been assistant team physician for the Detroit Pistons (NBA), Detroit Red Wings (NHL), Detroit Tigers (MLB), and Duke University mens' soccer team. Professional SummaryProfessional SummaryEducation Bachelor of Liberal Arts, University of Missouri-Kansas City Doctor of Medicine, University of Missouri-Kansas City Residency General Surgery, Rush University Medical Center Orthopaedic Surgery, McGill University Health Center Fellowship Sports Medicine Fellowship, Detroit Medical Center Foot and Ankle Surgery Fellowship, Duke University Medical Center Board Certification American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery Academic Affiliations American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Arthroscopy Association of North America American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada

Dr. Halloran's Care Philosophy

Dr. Halloran strives to treat each patient with compassion and humility. It is his firm belief that the doctor-patient relationship needs to function like a "team" to provide cutting-edge care and exceptional patient outcomes. "Great results can only be achieved if a patient has a thorough understanding of their condition and the treatment options available to them. In many cases, there are multiple right answers and the goal of effective care is for the patient to arrive at the option that will provide the best and quickest return to activity."

Dr. Halloran's Experience

See how Dr. Halloran's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Halloran

Dr. Halloran accepts 8 insurance carriers

Dr. Halloran is now accepting new patients
    Kansas City Orthopaedic Institute3651 College Blvd
    Leawood, KS 66211
    (913) 319-7600Get Directions

Check out the quality of care at the 4 hospitals where Dr. Halloran has admitting privileges.

Dr. Halloran's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Halloran to family and friends
    Dr. Halloran's Performance
    in Olathe, KS |
    Excellent care! Great bedside manner. Listens to patient concerns. Patient best interest at heart.
    in Lenexa, KS |
    Dr Halloran was consistently personable and open. Answered questions thoroughly, although questions were rarely necessary because of his thoroughness. Most importantly, surgery was successful with excellent results and no complications. I have already recommended him to others.
    in Warrensburg, MO |
    Dr. Halloran, Kim and Rebecca are extremely courteous and professional. I have recommended him to others after my surgery with him. I wouldn't see anyone else!
    in Leawood, KS |
    Dr. Halloran spent a great deal of time with me and was able to diagnose an issue with the way I stood and walked. He outlined different choices for relieving my pain along with steps to take in the future based on the success level of each procedure.
    in KCMO |
    He is a fabulous surgeon, my 3 month total ankle is pain free and I am learning to walk correctly again. He is nice and personable and pleasant. I love seeing him in the office. He takes time with you and encourages you to call with any questions.
    Overland Park, KS |
    Dr.H. is a very compassionate doctor.He explains everything thoroughly and makes sure his patients understand.I never felt rushed with my visits and he encouraged me to ask questions.
    in Leawood, KS |
    Excellent Doctor but, extremely busy (guess that is a result of being so good) very caring and goes the extra mile for you. I just can't say enough about Dr Halloran!
    in Overland Park, KS |
    Dr. Halloran is an excellent surgeon and collaborative partner for his patients! He has done three surgeries for our family with superb outcomes and no complications! He is a true professional and a wonderful person! I would recommend him to anyone!
    Overland Park, KS |
    Great experience and Dr. Halloran was able to treat my foot to relieve the pain I was experiencing.
    in Overland Park, KS |
    Wonderful doctor!!! Very upfront and honest
    Doctor wonderful!!!!!
    in Kansas City, KS |
    Excellent treatment, solved my issue without surgery!
    in Overland Park, KS |
    Fantastic doctor halloran tells it as it is and gives you options.
    in Raymore, MO |
    Dr. Halloran is wonderful! I can always speak freely without worrying that he will make me feel like my questions are stupid. I have never felt like a notch on his scalpel, I truly feel like his priority is getting me back to 100%. He really care about his patients and their well-being. He has a great bedside manner without sugar coating things. I feel very lucky that I ended up in his office.
    Kansas City, MO |
    Rude, no time to spend with patients .. does not care , awful was very disappointed . Go to ku medical center , they are the best
    We are sorry your experience left you feeling this way. Like all our physicians, Dr. Halloran is deeply committed to excellence in patient care and wants his patients to know he cares. Because your review is anonymous, we encourage you to contact our office so we can better understand your experience. Please call our practice administrator, Jim Bloom, at 913-319-7600. Thank you, and we hope to hear from you soon.
    in Leawood, KS |
    After seeing 4 different foot and ankle surgeons over the last 6 years since injuring it, Dr. Halloran explained what was wrong and the spectrum of options to treat it--from conservative to surgical--so well. He listened and explained his recommendations. I'd recommend Dr. Halloran to anyone!
    Overland Park, KS |
    Great doctor and staff. Very knowledgeable
    in Lawrence, KS |
    Amazing!
    in Lansing, KS |
    I could write several paragraphs, but in summary Dr. H. is a fantastic doctor, surgeon, and gentleman. He is absolutely the best. I have and will continue to share this opinion with the community.
    Overland Park, KS |
    Concerned and provided excellent Care following surgery.
    in Kansas City, MO |
    Dr. Halloran is truly excellent as a person as well as a surgeon. I am 69 and he walked me through all my options and I finally had my right ankle fused. Had been living for many many years with extensive pain. He convinced me to go for it and I now live pain free. I am very grateful for his expertise and his care and compassion. He definitely is quality in so many ways. Highly recommend Him.
    in Stilwell kansas |
    awesome doctor. Better person. Listened to me. Developed a plan around my needs and desires. Results are incredible. Replaced my ankle and took away pain and restrictions. He gave me back my active lifestyle!
    in Overland Park, Ks |
    Dr Hall or an did and ankle replacement for my husband and did an amazing job.
    in Clinton Mo |
    Very nice. Always here for u with any questions you have.
    in Baldwin City, KS |
    It's nice to find a physician that takes time to listen. Dr Hallorans bedside manor is wonderful, he explains everything in great detail in a way that is easily understood. His professionalism is as outstanding as his sense of humor. I whole heartedly recommend Dr. Hall or an and his staff.
    in KansasK |
    Awesome Doctor. Wish everyone was like him
    in Columbia, Missouri |
    Was very thorough with the exam.. Explained every thing as he went, educating us to what the options were and what to expect. We feel very encouraged with his abilities. Great communication.
    in Prairie Village, KS |
    Dr. Halloran is amazing!
    in Kansas City, MO |
    Dr. Halloran took extra time and care to continually understand and assess my specific condition and lifestyle needs for proper injury recovery and prevention. He made me feel informed and comfortable through each step in the pre-, post-, and surgical processes.
    in Kansas City, KS |
    My recent knee surgery with Dr. Halloran at the Dickson-Diveley Orthopedic Institute was an exceptional experience. The facility was spotlessly clean and the entire staff from beginning to end were professional, knowledgeable, and very compassionate. I have had 3 shoulder surgeries this past year with different orthopedic surgeons at different surgery centers. The difference in both presurgical and post surgical care was amazing. Dr. Halloran' s medical and surgical expertise was exceptional.
    in Prairie Village, KS |
    Dr. Halloran was quick in diagnosis and laid out a variety of options. He ultimately performed surgery on my ankle. The surgery was successful and after follow up visits I am back to my previous activity. I will recommend Dr. Halloran to family and friends.
    in Kansas City, MO |
    Dr. Halloran repaired a Lisfranc (very painful) fracture in my foot with excellent results. An excellent surgeon who explains and listens.
    in Overland Park, KS |
    Dr. Halloran is one of the best orthopedic surgeons I've ever dealt with - he's very focused on his patients, very honest about expectations, explains alternatives to surgery along with successes for each alternative, great bedside manner, etc... I can't say enough good things about Dr. Halloran!
    in Kansas City, MO |
    Totally impressed with Dr. Halloran. Very good surgeon and very professional.
    in Lee's Summit, MO |
    Dr Halloran takes the time to explain options and show you the xrays. I have seen him for more than one problem over the past 18 months and have always felt he cared what happed to me. He does not rush through the exam and he allows time for questions. He stays pretty much on schedule too. My husband has also seen him and had surgery for a painful condition and had an excellent outcome. I feel I have been fortunate to have found Dr Halloran.
    in Kansas City, MO |
    Awesome doctor! Very caring and knowledgeable.
    in Kansas City, MO |
    Dr. spent so much time examining and discussing options for my second opinion.
    in Olathe, KS |
    He was very personable and knowledgeable. He took his time to make sure I understood he issues and the plan for treatment.
    in Blue Springs, MO |
    I would consider Dr. Halloran to be the very best. Caring, compassionate, and patient. Listened and thoughtfully answered all my questions before my ankle surgery and then after provided to very best care I could ask for. I asked him to treat me like he would a member of his family and I believe I received that level of care. Would, and have, recommend him to others without hesitation. Dixon and Diveley facilities and level of service is what health should be,
    in Overland Park, KS |
    Dr. Halloran's team worked me in with an appointment on a busy afternoon, yet when he examined my condition, Dr. Halloran showed no signs of being rushed. He took the time to ask about possible injuries, onset of the pain, frequency of the swelling, and then tested how much my inflamed Achilles tendon affected my flexibility and strength. One day later, I can already tell that following the treatment plan Dr. Halloran outlined has put me on the road to recovery!
    in Baldwin City, Kansas |
    Dr. Halloran showed great kindness and care in treating my broken ankle. He scheduled me for surgery the next day and assured me that I would be fine. At each follow up visit, he was very supportive and helpful. I especially appreciated how much time he spent reviewing the xrays and my progress. He's charming, personable and highly trained. I would recommend Dr. Halloran to friends and especially, my family.
    Love Dr H... Very personable & explains my foot issues with detail. Thank you
    in Olathe. Ks |
    Very up front doesn't sugar coat anything which is great
    in Sunrise Beach, Mo. |
    Very knowledgeable. Great patient interaction. Surrounded by great nurses and staff. Would grade my experience with the orthopedic group a 10+. Would highly recommend anyone in need of their services to call them.
    Great
    Thorough orthopedic care!
    Have you seen Dr. James Halloran, MD?

Dr. Halloran says...

Dr. Halloran's primary clinical interest focuses on diagnosis and treatment of conditions involving the knee, ankle, and foot.  He has completed fellowship training in both sports medicine and foot/ankle surgery.  This is a very unique combination of skills that gives Dr. Halloran additional insight into the cause of many lower extremity injuries.  He has in depth knowledge regarding bone and ligamentous injuries of the knee, ankle, and foot with extensive experience in arthroscopic and minimally invasive management of these complex conditions.

Furthermore, Dr. Halloran has received comprehensive training from world renowned experts in total ankle arthroplasty and cartilage restoration at Duke University.  These are very complex procedures, but can return function to an active person.  Using a combination of 3 different total ankle replacement systems and a multitude of cartilage restoration techniques he is able to tailor the ankle treatment to best fit each patient's needs.

Dr. Halloran's commitment to an active lifestyle and athletics is evident in both his personal belief that activity leads to better health and his involvement with sports teams.  Throughout his training, Dr. Halloran has been assistant team physician for the Detroit Pistons (NBA), Detroit Red Wings (NHL), Detroit Tigers (MLB), and Duke University mens' soccer team.

Professional SummaryProfessional SummaryEducation

• Arthroscopy Association of North America
    • American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
    • The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada

Dr. Halloran's Care Philosophy

Dr. Halloran strives to treat each patient with compassion and humility.  It is his firm belief that the doctor-patient relationship needs to function like a "team" to provide cutting-edge care and exceptional patient outcomes.

"Great results can only be achieved if a patient has a thorough understanding of their condition and the treatment options available to them.  In many cases, there are multiple right answers and the goal of effective care is for the patient to arrive at the option that will provide the best and quickest return to activity."

Dr. Halloran says...

ConditionsConditions

• Athletic injuries of the knee
    • Knee arthroscopy
    • Ligamentous injuries of the knee
    • Meniscal injuries of the knee
    • Treatment of cartilage defects in the knee
    • Arthritic conditions of the foot and ankle—fusion and total ankle arthroplasty
    • Athletic injuries of the foot and ankle
    • Minimally invasive Achilles tendon repair
    • Bunion and hammertoe deformities
    • Flatfoot deformities
    • Repair or Reconstruction of tendon disorders
    • Fractures and Dislocations
    • Ankle arthroscopy
    • Tendon transfers
    • Complex reconstructions of midfoot and hindfoot
    • Rheumatoid foot reconstructions

Dr. Halloran's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery
    •  Board certified in Orthopedic Surgery
    •  Malpractice claims in Kansas not available

Dr. Halloran has no media or publications listed.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Kansas.

Why It Matters: Dr. Halloran's Board Certifications

• Heel Spur
    • Knee Dislocation
    • Knee Fracture
    • Knee Sprain
    • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
    • Morton's Neuroma

Sports Medicine Fellowship, Detroit Medical Center

Completed in 2012

University of Missouri / Kansas City Campus

Graduated in 2004

Dr. Halloran does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Halloran and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Orthopedic Foot & Ankle Surgery