Dr. James Glasser, MD

Dr. James Glasser, MD

Pediatric Surgery  ·
Dr. James Glasser, MD is a pediatric surgery specialist in Mobile, AL and has been practicing for 38 years. He graduated from Umdnj-New Jersey Med Sch in 1974 and specializes in pediatric surgery.Read his story

1720 Center St

Mobile, AL 36604

• Blue Cross Blue Shield of California
  • Capital Blue Cross
  • Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield

Learn about Dr. Glasser

Dr. Glasser's Experience

Dr. Glasser's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Pediatric Surgery
  • Board certified in General Surgery and Pediatric Surgery

Dr. Glasser's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Glasser "The pediatric surgeon associated with my general surgery residency, was a dificult, demanding person with whom to work. I was given the assignment because no one else wanted it. We cared for a Puerto Rican girl who had a fecal fistula that resulted from a ruptured appendix. Her surgical wound was dirty and smelly. We operated and repaired the fistula. Initially, the child was afraid to look at her abdomen, when we removed the bandages post-operatively. When she finally mustered enough courage, her look of fear transformed to wonder. The ugly wound had vanished! I have always felt that it was a privilege to care for children. At one time I thought I wanted to be a missionary doctor; and I worked in Niger, West Africa for 14 months. My uncle was dean of Fuller Theological Seminary School of International Studies; he encouraged me to come to the Seminary in Padadena, CA; and I obtained a MA degree. I found living in an entirely different culture difficult, and I would have to practice general surgery. I did not want to give up my specialty of pediatric surgery nor my culture, which I why I remained in this country. Doctors love interesting cases. Let me share with you one that is truly remarkable: A baby with long gap esophageal atresia, who was born within weeks of my own son. We tried to stretch his atretic esophagus but to no avail – no lengthening resulted. We replaced his esophagus using the descending colon as a conduit. We attached the colon to the upper esophagus through the right chest; the conduit crossed the mediastinum into the left chest and passed through the hiatus to join the stomach in the upper abdomen. He recovered nicely from the surgery, but I knew, even as I did the operation, that someday a revision would be necessary; and I did not know how to do it. The problem is that the colon grows faster than the child; and eventually, redundancy and tortuosity impair emptying of the conduit. I dreaded the inevitable. Every clinic visit, I wondered if this was it – the time when revision was necessary. The time came when he was ten years old. He had to sleep with his bed propped up on blocks. He had to eat dinner, hours before bedtime. His diet was restricted, and he had horrible halitosis. How was I to revise the colon conduit? I searched the literature and queried respected colleagues. There was no unanimity of opinion. Our Chief of Surgery advised leaving him alone. My senior partner favored a thoraco-abdominal approach, so as not to impair the conduit's blood supply. I was on call the night before his surgery; and before I drove home from the hospital, I sat mesmerized in my car thinking about the forthcoming surgery. Suddenly, the thought came to me, "Make a small left chest incision; pull out the redundancy; divide its blood supply right next to the bowel wall; then sew the two ends together. This is what I did. The next morning, his mother told me, "He wants to tell you something." This was what he told me. "I had a dream, before I came to the hospital. You were operating upon me, and an angle came and stood beside you. He said, "Don't do the operation that way. Do it this way." That is, for me, a very precious story. "

This content was provided by Dr. Glasser "I actually enjoyed medical school and residency.

I have always derrived great pleasure in seeing an ill child recover.

I enjoy the technical aspects of surgery, and I continually try to refine my technique - to do things better.

I have learned that mothers know best when their children are ill; they may not know understand the nature of the illness, but one should never discount a mother's intuition that her child is "not right"!"

• Pediatric Surgery

• General Surgery
    Accredited by: American Board of Surgery*
  • Pediatric Surgery
    Accredited by: American Board of Surgery*

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Alabama.

• Princeton U
  • Le Bonheur Children's Medical Center
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1982
  • Fuller Theological Seminary, Intercultural Studies-Ma Degree
    Other Education | Completed 1986

Dr. Glasser has no media or publications listed.

• French

Dr. Glasser does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Glasser and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Glasser's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Glasser to family and friends
2 total reviews (1 has a comment)

Dr. Glasser's Performance

We love him. He is precious. He did an excellent job when my daughter was in the hospital.
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon optionthumbs down icon option
Are you Dr. Glasser?