Dr. James Evans, MD

Neurosurgery •  Male • Age 51

Telehealth services available

Dr. James Evans, MD is a neurosurgery specialist in Philadelphia, PA and has been practicing for 25 years. He specializes in neurosurgery.

Thomas Jefferson University Hospitals

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Evans

Dr. Evans?
Dr. Evans' Performance
What People Say About Dr. James Evans, MD
De Evans is awesome. He removed my brain tumor successfully 5 years ago. I wouldn’t want anyone else to complete that type of surgery for mr
Nakkia Mitchell – Feb 27, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Evans, MD?
Dr. Evans operated on my husband on 1/30/20. We had to meet with him prior to surgery for a consultation. He explained everything in detail and took the time with us. To make a long story short, his bedside manner is just wonderful!!!! He even kept in touch with me on my cell phone to give me updated information. He puts you at ease and would highly recommend him!!!!
Ronna Prokoff – Feb 06, 2020
Thank you for your kind review. If you have any...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Evans, MD?
I love Dr Evans. He removed a pituitary tumor from my pituitary gland in my brain a year ago and I just had my one year check up. He is the most compassionate down to earth neurosurgeon and a totally awesome guy. Gave me my sight back and a new lease on life. I will be forever grateful to him and my team of doctors, nurses Diana Rivero 9 Northeast and the hospital staff for the excellent care given to me over the last year. Thank you all for your professionalism and heart warming care.
Nancy Rivero – Dec 03, 2019
Hello, thank you so much for the positive review!...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Evans, MD?
Dr Evans was pleasant even though I brought the wrong CD to our 1st visit. He assured me about the 'non-invasive procedure' he and Dr Rosen would use to remove my benign neoplasm pituitary tumor. Dr Evans made that less scary than when I first heard I had it 18 years ago. During all his visits, he has been positive, upbeat and reassuring. My wife shares my high opinion of Dr Evans, as do his assistants, which is reassuring in itself. Following surgery, his visits continued to be full of information and upbeat. My vision improved after the surgery and will continue to improve over time. That is great news for someone who was unable to read printed matter that was not 'high contrast'. Every one in our family and friends are surprised by my quick recovery. His support staff is courteous and efficient.
William Lowry – Nov 23, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Evans, MD?
Everything was explained well and went exactly as it was explained. Dr. Evans and his team were so confident in what they were doing. Their confidence was very helpful in an extremely stressful time for my husband and I. He has saved my husbands life. I can’t thank him enough!!!!
Diana – Nov 13, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Evans, MD?
Dr. Evans, not only diagnosed and agreed to do a new procedure on my trigeminal neuralgia, he is extremely compassionate, knowledgeable, took the time to explain everything in detail and spent all the time needed with me and my family to feel comfortable prior to Brain Surgery. Not only would I highly recommend him, I would let him operate on me in a New York minute, god forbade I ever need Brain Surgery again. I am truly blessed to have found this surgeon to alleviate my terrible problem.
stewart – Sep 26, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Evans, MD?
In April of 2019, Dr. Evans removed a large sized meningioma from my husband’s frontal region of the anterior cranial fossa. A craniotomy was necessary to remove it. His operation was on a Friday and he came home the following Monday. At our first meeting with Dr. Evans, we immediately knew we had chosen the very best doctor to preform his surgery. Dr. Evans answered all our questions, most before they were even asked, and put us at ease immediately. My husband was back to work as a house painter 5 weeks after the surgery. Dr. Evans is the most sincere, caring, and talented surgeon that we have ever come in contact with. He is such a brilliant person but is so humble and down to earth. He met me and my daughter right after the 10 hour surgery and walked with us to the NICU, answering any questions and explaining the outcome of the surgery. Dr. Evans and his team were all present in the NICU. Dr. Evans and his team are simply the best! The staff at Jefferson were all amazing as well.
Jamie Bilbow – Sep 20, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Evans, MD?
When I was diagnosed with a tumor on my optic nerve in 2016, a Will Eye Hospital physician immediately recommended Dr. Evans. Dr. Evans explained in detail the craniotomy he would need to perform in order to remove the tumor. There were many risks including vision loss, loss of eye lid muscle, crossed eye and many others. Not only was I concerned about the effects to my eye, I was concerned how my physical appearance would change after a craniotomy. Dr. Evans is an artist. Not only did he preserve my vision, but today you would never guess the type of surgery I went through. Dr. Evans is also a great communicator. He has a caring compassionate bedside manner and he explained in detail how the surgery was to be performed. He is confident without being arrogant and I had complete trust in him. I am very grateful that this wonderful doctor was my surgeon.
Sep 19, 2019
Hi, it's reviews like yours that really keep us...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Evans, MD?
I have been Dr. Evans' patient for over 11 years, pre and post procedure. Dr. Evans is the platinum standard for doctor in both personal interaction and surgical skill.
RBEmerson – Aug 27, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Evans, MD?
Not only is Dr. Evans a very good doctor, he's also very personable. He explains things in a way that makes it easy to understand.
Jim – Aug 24, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Evans, MD?
Dr. Evans recently treated me for a pituitary macroadenoma. He took the time to fully educate me on my situation, laid out the treatment options and provided an exceptional level of care throughout. He is a top-notch doctor and I wish there were more health care professionals like Dr. Evans.
Aug 16, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Evans, MD?
My Last visit with Dr. James Evans was for my 3 months follow up for my MVD surgery. the appointment was delayed for some reason but appointment desk made us aware that how long its going to be delayed and they handled it very professional manner. Dr Evans is a very efficient and experienced neurosurgeon, I would strongly recommend any one to see him. I am 100% satisfied with my surgery and treatment. The treatment team members are awesome as well. When I visited him for making my decision for surgery he explained the procedure and the pros and cons of the procedure to me and my family very well. Dr Evans provides excellent service to his patients.
Aug 07, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Evans, MD?
Hello, I had a surgical procedure on June 27th with both Doctor Evans and Doctor Wilcox at the Neurological Hospital. I cannot say how impressed I am with the entire staff from the office to the hospital. Although it was a surgical procedure the experience was made exceptional from everyone. The hospital staff from the front desk to the operating room and the ICE was very exception. My family was taken care of and kept notify of all that was happening. The procedure ended up being more complicated than expected, the stay in the ICU ended up being longer than anticipated. Everyone during that time was truly amazing. Please let the staff know how wonderful they are and how much me and my family appreciated the care given. Thank you!
Robert Wilbur – Aug 05, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Evans, MD?
Dr. Evans is the best Neurosurgeon I could have hoped for. He is kind, compassionate, listens to you, provides you with all the information you need, and takes his time with you at every visit. He has a great sense of humor and is personable and makes you feel at ease, when undoubtedly you are a nervous wreck about your (brain) surgery. Not to mention the most important fact- he is a skilled surgeon who works tirelessly to save lives; I don't know how he does it all. He is amazing; if he ever leaves Jefferson, I'll follow him to whatever state/hospital he moves to!
An extremely grateful patient – Aug 02, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Evans, MD?
Thank you, Dr. James Evans & your T.J.U. Hospital Team, for performing my MVD & Internal Neurolysis Skull Base Surgeries. Your expertise, demeanor & time spent answering questions convinced me that these surgeries were the correct choices. At the time, I had not ever been previously admitted to a hospital! You have given me my life back via 100% relief from seven years of debilitating Trigeminal Neuralgia. Your co-workers & staff provided great support during an emotionally stressful time, i.e. scheduling of consultations, Pre-Admission Tests, & the surgeries. The office environment was pleasant & staff members friendly. I give heartfelt thanks to the T.J.U. Hospital Neurosurgery, PAT, PACU, NICU, & INICU units for the caring & efficient treatment that I received prior-to, during & after my Dec. 2018 & Feb. 2019 surgeries. I have expressed the highest recommendations to my local (referring) neurologist & my PCP - now more aware of the expertise & care available at T.J.U. Hospital.
Daniel C. – Jul 12, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Evans, MD?
Dr James Evans was very informative and confident about how he would go forward with my surgery. Needing Brain Surgery is unnerving so when he started explaining how he will do the procedure his confidence in his plan with expected outcomes gave me exactly what I needed. His expertise is evident immediately upon meeting him and his team. I would highly recommend Dr Evans for Brain/Spinal Cord Surgery- and if you need a second opinion he is your expert! I trusted him with my life in a complicated surgery and my recovery is astounding! Prayers, expert hands and plans from Dr Evans gave me my life back! I am forever grateful, Marjorie Lakatos
Marjorie Lakatos in Pennsville , NJ – Jun 05, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Evans, MD?
I am a 10 year survivor of brain surgery performed by Dr. James Evans. I had a brain tumor and I did not know it. When I went to the hospital for numbness in my left side. They sent me to Jefferson Hospital to see Dr. Evans. Dr. Evans removed the tumor that was wrapped around my optical nerve. He had to do a a craniotomy to allow swelling in my brain. 30 days later he reattached my skull. He did not damage my optical nerve, but chose to send me for radiation instead. This extensive surgery could have left me paralyzed, deformed, and blind. I tell you that 10 years later I am none of them. Dr. Evans hands are truly Blessed by a God given talent to perform the most delicate surgery’s with amazing results. The Bonus is that he is kind, caring, understanding and patient. Consider yourself lucky if you get Dr. James Evans for your doctor.
Mrs. Booker in NJ – May 22, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Evans, MD?
I would recommend Dr. Evans to everyone that would need his skills and services. He is an excellent doctor and very caring. He, and his team, explain everything and take their time with you to answer all your questions. I felt no need to get a second opinion since I had the best.
Pat Rademan in Philadelphia, PA – May 20, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Evans, MD?
Dr Evans is one of the most warmest, friendliest and caring doctors at Jefferson Hospital. Dr Evans is very knowledgeable about trigeminal neurolgia and he made me feel comfortable with the decision I made to have the surgery to help relieve a lot of pain and discomfort I was feeling and although he explained the positive and negative after effects from the surgery he reassured me that the overall outcome would help me and if not there were other procedures that could possibly work which helped to relax me and take away the fear and since the surgery I have asked myself why did I wait so long. Jefferson Hospital is a favorite Hospital of mine and I tell everyone I know this and every chance I get I talk about the great team of doctors I have and would highly recommend Dr Evans along with the rest of the doctors to whom ever need any of them
LaJuan Young in Philadelphia , PA – May 16, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Evans, MD?
Very professional, understanding of my concerns.
Steven Stewart in Oaklyn, NJ – May 15, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. James Evans, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Evans?

Dr. Evans accepts most major insurance plans.

Dr. Evans has indicated that he accepts most major insurance carriers

(215) 259-5822Find providers who accept this insurance

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice claims information for Pennsylvania

Cranial Neurosurgery

Cranial neurosurgeons perform surgical procedures that involve opening or passing through the skull to treat conditions affecting the brain, spinal cord, and nervous system.

Typically treats 95% more than their peers

Based on claims data for 3 conditions and procedures

TreatmentsTreatment Frequency
Craniectomy, Craniotomy, Surgery of Skull Base, Neuroendoscopy

Dr. Evans performs Craniectomy, Craniotomy, Surgery of Skull Base, Neuroendoscopy more than 98% of their peers

Dr. Evans performs this procedure more than 98% of their peers

Brain Surgery

Dr. Evans performs Brain Surgery more than 94% of their peers

Dr. Evans performs this procedure more than 94% of their peers

Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) Shunt - Insertion, Repair or Removal

Dr. Evans performs Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) Shunt - Insertion, Repair or Removal more than 93% of their peers

Dr. Evans performs this procedure more than 93% of their peers

Neuro-oncology

Oncologists diagnose and treat tumors, both malignant and benign, in or near the brain and spinal cord.

Typically treats 90% more than their peers

Dr. Evans treats Acoustic Neuroma more than 96% of their peers

Dr. Evans treats this condition more than 96% of their peers

high
high

Dr. Evans treats Brain and Nervous System Cancer (incl. Gliomas, Astrocytoma, Schwannoma, Medulloblastoma, Chordoma) more than 85% of their peers

Dr. Evans treats this condition more than 85% of their peers

Dr. Evans treats this condition more than 100% of his peers

Rating Includes other areas of care:

• Radiation-Induced Meningioma
Craniectomy, Craniotomy, Surgery of Skull Base, Neuroendoscopy

Dr. Evans performs Craniectomy, Craniotomy, Surgery of Skull Base, Neuroendoscopy more than 98% of his peers

Dr. Evans performs this procedure more than 98% of his peers

• Acoustic Neuroma
  • Brain Cancer
  • Brain Surgery
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) Shunt - Insertion, Repair or Removal
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cranial Trauma

Cleveland Clinic
1995
University Of Massachusetts Medical School
University of Massachusetts

Check the quality of care at hospitals where Dr. Evans treats patients.

Thomas Jefferson University Hospital—Jefferson Health

Philadelphia, PA

71% Patient experience rating, 2% higher than the national average

• America's 250 Best Hospitals Award™ (2019, 2018)
  • America's 50 Best Hospitals Award™ (2019)
  • America's 100 Best Hospitals Award™ (2018)

Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children