General Surgery  |
Dr. James Elsey, MD
Dr. James Elsey, MD is a general surgery doctor who practices in Lawrenceville, GA. He is 64 years old and has been practicing for 38 years. Dr. Elsey is affiliated with Gwinnett Medical Center - Lawrenceville and Eastside Medical Center.

631 Professional Dr Ste 300

Lawrenceville, GA 30046

• Ambetter

Learn about Dr. Elsey

Dr. Elsey's Experience

Dr. Elsey's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in General Surgery

• General Surgery
    Accredited by: American Board of Surgery*
  • Vascular Surgery
    Accredited by: American Board of Surgery*

• Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA)
  • Acute Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
  • Acute Venous Embolism Thrombosis
  • Atherosclerosis
  • Atherosclerosis of Aorta
  • Brachial Plexus Palsy
  • Carotid Artery Disease
  • Chronic Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
  • Chronic Venous Embolism Thrombosis
  • Congenital Heart Defects
  • Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
  • Heart Disease
  • Hypertensive Encephalopathy
  • Peripheral Arterial Aneurysm
  • Peripheral Arterial Aneurysm and Dissection
  • Peripheral Arterial Disease of Extremities
  • Peripheral Arterial Dissection
  • Peripheral Arterial Embolism and Thrombosis
  • Peripheral Autonomic Neuropathy
  • Peripheral Vascular Disease (PAD, PVD)
  • Phlebitis and Thrombophlebitis
  • Renal Artery Arteriosclerotic Disease
  • Ruptured Aortic Aneurysm
  • Secondary Hypertension
  • Thoracoabdominal Aortic Aneurysm
  • Thrombosis
  • Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA)
  • Varicose Veins

• Grady Memorial Hospital
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1985
  • Emory
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1986

Dr. Elsey has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. Elsey has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Elsey does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Elsey and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Elsey's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Elsey to family and friends
Dr. Elsey's Performance
Lawrenceville, GA |
I was under the care of dr Elsey while escaping from Hurricane Irma in florida. I ended up in the emergency room and feel so fortunate to have Dr Elsey as the on call surgeon. My family and I appreciate hid expertise and kindness. I would highly recommend Dr Elsey and hold him in the highest regard. respectfully,, Howard J Everett
in Dacula, GA |
Often times doctors need to tell you that they are doctors to impress you. Jim Elsey is a gentlemen and a person that I would hold in high regard even if I did not know that he is a top rate surgeon. The attention that he paid to my wife to make sure that she felt safe and confident in the procedure that he was going to perform on me was priceless. The entire experience with Dr. Elsey may have been one of the best I have ever had with the medical profession.
in Suwanee, GA |
Professinal and caring from the beginning to post op. A true gentleman and caring person. Lets not forget a talened surgeon Too!
in Duluth, GA |
I highly recommend Dr. Elsey. His surgical skills are superior and his professionalism is superb. Dr. Elsey is upbeat, encouraging, and provided me with the confidence and assurance that was essential in preparing me for my surgery. I was able to gain trust in submitting to his care, which was very instrumental in contributing to my well being. Not only was the surgery successful, but my psychological health was enhanced every step of the process.
in Dacula, GA |
Dr. Elsey was amazing. He is by far the best doctor, and we have seen many over the last few months, that I know. Best bedside manner of any doctor I have ever come in contact with. I would not hesitate to have him operate on me or anyone that I love again.
in Lawrenceville, GA |
Dr. Elsey made me feel as comfortable as possible during my time in his care. When I went back for my follow up visit, I was worried I would not be able to get answers to all my questions. He pulled up a chair and answered all my questions. He made me feel very comfortable and spent lots of time with me. He told me to call with any more questions I might have. I felt very comfortable when I left his office.
in Lilburn, GA |
I first met Dr Elsey in an emergency situation when I required an emergency appendectomy. He put me at ease when I first met him in pre op. He and his team went on to do an excellent job on me and the healing process went very well. From the time I went into the Emergincy Room ar GMC to the time I got home was a mear 7 hrs. Everyone I met at his office when I went to have the staples removed was very friendly and kind. I highly recommend Dr Elsey and staff, and would gladly recommend them!
in Lawrenceville, GA |
Dr. Elsey took over my care after another doctor had unsuccessfully done a Claravein procedure on my legs. Dr. Elsey did another procedure which hopefully is going to be successful. I'm in the 6-month "let's see if it definitely worked" period. Dr. Elsey is a very caring doctor with a great bedside manner. I know people say they would prefer skill to personality and caring, but with Dr. Elsey you get both.
Lilburn, GA |
I am satisfied with Dr. Elsey and the procedure that had to be performed. It was an emergency situation and I never met him but he calmed my family and did a good job. My only complaint would be that at my post-op appointment I felt very rushed. He asked several times if I was satisfied and directed me to write a review saying that I was. He spent probably a total of two minutes with me at the post-op appointment most of which were telling me how to give him a good review. I just found that odd
in Lawrenceville, GA |
Was scheduled for carotid artery surgery and night before had TIA. Dr. Elsey was intouch with the emergency room doctor during the night and removed the blockage the next morning. Although the risk of stroke during/following surgery was higher after the TIA, all went well. Now three months later, resumed active life style and no side effects from the problem.
in blue ridge, ga |
The words I would use to describe Dr. Elsey are kind, compassionate, patient, friendly, extremely competent, and encouraging. His staff was extremely helpful, very professional, responsive, and attentive. One leaves with a feeling of warmth and security. I would very highly recommend Dr. Elsey.
in Atlanta, GA |
Amazing!!! Dr. Elsey and staff made me feel completely comfortable. I woke up after the surgery not even realizing the procedure was performed. It was as if Dr. Else's hands were guided by God's hands himself. Dr. Elsey has been there to answer any questions or concerned I've had pre and post surgery. I would recommend Dr. Elsey and his staff to everyone. Thank you Dr. Elsey
in duluth, ga |
Dr. Elsey is a Rock Star at what he does! He is a true Master of his craft. I truly believe that he saved my life... minimally my legs. I tend to be a very inquisitive person. To my myriad of questions, he was always direct and honest. I therefore knew what to expect without any candy coating. You know he is exceptional when the nurses sing his praises.
in Lilburn, GA |
Dr. Elsey saved my life. Very professional, insisted everyone around him be professional, took control of a precarious situation with his firm demeanor, calmed me down with a wonderful bedside manner in a very tense situation. Surgery was done to perfection with minimal scarring showing. Would recommend him to anybody at any time.
Lawrenceville, GA |
I am grateful for Dr. Elsey's exceptional skills and care. Dr. Elsey and his surgical team provided me excellent care and support carrying out my carotid endarterectomy. I also want to acknowledge the Gwinnett Surgical Associates team for their professionalism, treatment, and care for my wellness. Everyone should be recognized for the exceptional health care they provided me during my office visits and stay at the hospital.
in Duluth, GA |
Dr Elsey did surgery on me to clean out a blocked artery. He is easy to talk talk to and communicates well. My results were excellent and I am convinced the surgery saved me from another stroke.
in Norcross, GA |
In all my years I have never encountered such a caring and professional physician. From the ,moment I met Dr. Elsey I could tell that he would have my best interest at heart and take very good care of me. I would recommend Dr Elsey to anyone and not have a single doubt that he would provide the same level of care that has shown me. The one thing that truly impressed me the most is that he listened to me and answered all of my questions so that I could understand what I was about to undergo
in Buford, GA |
Dr. James Elsey is a very gifted Surgeon. He's highly qualified and put my mind totally at ease. I would highly recommend him for any surgical needs you have. From my first visit with him to post op care I had tremendous confident in his care for me. I think he should be named Surgeon of the Year!
Roswell, GA |
Dr. Elsey has performed surgery on my 4 times. He's a great doctor
in Atlanta, GA |
Dr. Elsey was horrible. He botched my appendectomy. The staples came out after he gutted me like a fish. I went to the office to tell them of my suspicion and fear that an infection began. They brushed me off and told me that I was wrong. 2 days later I was back in the hospital having the stitches fully removed and had to treat it as an open wound infection. It has left me with a 6 inch, 1 inch deep incision mark on my stomach. I URGE anyone to stay clear of this man.
in Duluth, GA |
Service was impeccable. Dr. Elsey made me feel very comfortable and very confident that my procedure would go well. I appreciate his professionalism and his experience of being a surgical doctor. He did an outstanding job. I am receiving more compliments than I can handle from the procedure that he performed on me. And also, the staff was very supportive and attentive to my needs.
in Duluth |
I can't say enough about Dr. Elsey. He is not only a very competent surgeon, but is also very pleasant, warm, caring, and friendly. Most importantly, he listens to you and answers your questions. Surgery in itself is very stressful, but Dr. Elsey makes you feel at ease. I highly recommend him and would definitely see him again if I need to. His office staff is also very friendly and welcoming. Appointment are very convenient and the wait time is very minimal
in Atlanta, GA |
Great doctor!!!!!! Simply put!!!!! Went in told I need surgery, got on the books, did it, and now I' doing well!! Great doctor.
in Lawrenceville, GA |
Dr Elsey performed 2 surgeries for me within 3 months. I truly believe his experience and knowledge probably saved my life. He is a kind and considerate man with an awesome bedside manner. Love you Dr Elsey!
in Buford, GA |
Had leg surgery and everything went very well. Dr. Elsey did fine work and was easy to communicate with and very thorough in all ways.
in Lawrenceville, GA |
Dr. Elsey is the most caring and compassionate physician I've had the pleasure of meeting. From our first appointment I was very impressed with his patient care approach and thoroughness concerning my diagnosis. I was totally at ease with my upcoming procedure and recovery. I also had the privilege of observing Dr. Elsey interacting with other patients and was extremely pleased to see he was genuine. As previously stated in the survey questions, I give Dr. Elsey the highest recommendation.
in Lawrenceville, GA |
Dr Elsey is an excellent Doctor with caring and a gentle maner. His easy way made me calm and positive about my operation.
in Duluth, GA |
outstanding patient concernment from Dr. Elsey and his staff, which was a very serious operation. He explained all details of the procedure in depth. I believe I was in great hands and I would recommend Dr. Elsey to anyone.
in Lawrenceville, Ga |
Due to the severity of my stomach cramps, uncontrollable vomiting for several hours, dr elsey was called to do gallbladder surgery. I felt 100% better once all the soreness went away. I have not felt sickly or even had an upset stomach since the surgery. He gave back my quality of life. Due to bladder cancer surgery, I was unable to go longer than 40 min to an hour before needing the bathroom. Now I have gone as long as 5 hours, but not less than 1 hour. I love my life now. Thank you so much!
in Atlanta, GA |
He was very engaging, easy to talk to and had great bed-side manner. He never kept me too long or made me wait for long periods of time.
in SNELLVILLE, GA |
My husband was taken to Gwinnett Medical Center Emergency on November 21, 2016. He was being treated at a wound care center for a diabetic ulceration on the bottom of his left foot. He was in Sepsis Shock. Dr James Elsey was immediately called in due to my husband's critical condition. He explained that a portion of his left foot needed to be amputated to remove the infected area to save his life. Thanks to Dr Elsey quick diagnosis and action, my husband is on the path of recovery!
in Talmo, GA |
Dr. Elsey saved my life. And if that wasn't enough he was the most kind and genuine doctor I have ever encountered.
in peachtree corners, GA |
Dr. Elsey patched me up twice in the last couple years, one was life threatening. He puts one at ease immediately with his demeanor and proceeds expertly. Excellent Doctor and all around good guy.
in Loganville, GA |
Dr. Elsey is very personable and explains well to patient exactly what is happening.
in Lawrenceville, GA |
I was suffering from a gallbladder attack that had lasted several days. I had been seen in the ER and they sent me back home. I went to see Dr. Elsey and had surgery the same day. He was kind and caring and saw how much pain I was in. Him and his staff took wonderful care of me and I can't thank them enough. I would absolutely recommend him to my family and friends!
in Grayson, GA |
On Two Separate Occassions; Dr. Elsey found a Situations that needed Immediate Attention! He Checked it Out and Found I needed Surgery; He help save My Life from Removing a Cancer locate in My Lower Stomach and a Hernia this last Time! He Told Me Do Not Worry; He would take Care of it! So He Did! I Feel Great and doing Well Now!
in Lawrenceville, GA |
Dr Elsey is a fine physician and surgeon,very kind and compassionate. My family and I appreciate all he has done for us and recommend him highly. Good old Georgia boy.
in Duluth, GA |
I, Betty M. Gray can't say enough about the man who saved me after many years of going to different doctor's to access what the problem was with my legs & feet. Dr. Elsey operated on the 21st of September and I'm recovering very well. No more pain in the butt, I can walk without pain. I love Dr. Elsey for his heeling hands. Starting with chiropractor, physical therapist, dermatologist, neurologist, female specialist, pcp doctor and finally Dr. Elsey who accessed me with P.A.D. my pain in butt.
in Rabun Gap, GA |
I had to have emergency surgery on my colon, and God blessed me with the best Surgeon out there. Not only did he do an amazing job, but his bedside manner is impeccable!! He takes the time to sit down and actually listen to what you have to say, and answers the questions you have. I am free to call him at anytime! I could not have asked for a better physician!!
in Lawrenceville, Ga |
I am still around to enjoy my wife, kids, and grandkids thanks to Dr Elsey. There are well trained Surgeons and there are "gifted" ones. Dr Elsey has a gift. Beyond that, he truly cares for people and has a calming manner and checks in on his patients seemingly more than most. Good man! Total trust in his abilities and judgement. I feel blessed he was in the area of the emergency room when I arrived.
in Auburn, GA |
I met with Dr. Elsey for a hernia procedure. He was very jovial, courteous and confident. He made sure all of my questions/concerns was addresses at our initial consult. His staff was great as well, made sure I was comfortable and informed my wife of how things went.
in Stone Mountain, GA |
Dr. Elsey performed my last surgery wonderfully. Medicine that was administered during the procedure was the best I ever had. It made me feel very relaxed and comfortable. My awakening from surgery went very well. I felt just right. Thank you! Dr. Elsey
in Lawrenceville, GA |
Dr. Elsey performed my surgery last week. He is an awesome doctor who shows confidence in his job. Because of his knowledge and experience my surgery was a complete success.
in Snellville, GA |
Dr. Elsey is an awesome surgeon and has a great bedside manner.
in Snellville, GA |
He did my surgery with care & skill. I am still recovering but my care A-1. Dr Elsey is a great surgeon.
in Lawrenceville, GA |
My dad have had surgeries performed by Dr. Elsey. Dr. Elsey is super good at what he does. My dad and my family are thankful to meet him and had him operate on my dad. Thank you, Dr. Elsey!
in Dacula, GA |
What a place to be with Dr.Elsey after visiting and self pay many other places and tests all I can say is what a relief . Thank you very much for the extra care ,advice and very kind words .We wish we have known him earlier but Thank God I am fine now and others may look for someone like him .God bless you and your staff!
in Social Circle, GA |
On May 13, 2016 my Dad was life flown to the hospital. Dr. Elsey performed emergency surgery on my Dad. I feel he saved his life. He's one of the few that you can actually trust!! You can tell just by looking into is eyes that he's a very compassionate and kind man. I'll forever be grateful to you!! Thank you Dr.Elsey
in Dacula, GA |
I had surgery for a hernia on my left side due to a work injury in May 2015. I was treated great and returned to work driving and unloading a tractor trailer with no problems. May 2016 I developed a hernia on my right side while working. I requested Dr. Elsey for the second surgery. Since both surgeries were work related Workers Comp. of Ga covered all expenses. I am now recovering with no problems and will return to work in June.
in Duluth, GA |
Great patient communication. Explains exactly is going to be done and why. Every medical professional who has looked at my surgical results tells me that his work looks excellent. That is what you want to hear when someone has to cut on you. A very personable professional who has performed surgery on me three times.
Have you seen Dr. James Elsey, MD?
Are you Dr. Elsey?