Orthopedic Surgery  |
Dr. James Dowd, MD
Dr. James Dowd primarily specializes in the treatment of injuries and disorders involving the knee and hip. Dr. Dowd lives in Virginia Beach with his wife and children. He enjoys spending time with his family, golfing, outdoor sports, boating, and wine collecting.

Jordan-Young Institute

• HealthPlus Amerigroup
  • HealthSmart

Learn about Dr. Dowd

Dr. Dowd's Experience

Dr. Dowd's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

• Orthopedic Knee Surgery

Accredited by: American Board of Medical Specialties*

• Coccyx or Sacrum Fracture
  • Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Femur Fracture
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Fracture
  • Knee Sprain
  • Lateral Collateral Ligament (LCL) Sprain
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) Sprain

• Total Hip Replacement
  • Total Joint Replacement and Revision
  • Total Knee Replacement
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate

No malpractice history found for Virginia.

• University Of Pittsburgh School Of Medicine
    Medical School | Graduated 1992
  • University Pitt
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1994
  • University Pitt
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1998
  • Anderson Orth Rsch Institute
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1999

Dr. Dowd has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Dowd does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Dowd and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Dowd's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Dowd to family and friends
4.1
Dr. Dowd's Performance
in Virginia Beach, VA |
I can walk a 5 K, walk and finished, not the last one, either! I did the race in April. I am building up my miles to be able to do a 10K. If I do that, I will be very Happy.
in Virginia Beach, VA |
Dr. Dowd replaced a year ago, and, except for the first two weeks immediately following surgery, the healing process has been a breeze (so much so that I often forget that I had the surgery.) I am a 70 year old female, relatively active, and my weight is within normal range. I have just completed my year follow-up appointment, and everything looks good. Dr. Dowd came highly recommended, and I can attest that his expertise is of the highest level.
Dr. Dowd did the anterior approach for my left hip surgery and my recovery time was amazing. I was able to resume normal activities within a very reasonable period of time. It has now been a year since my surgery and I feel great! If I ever need surgery on my other hip, Dr. Dowd will be my surgeon!
in Chesapeake VA |
I have had both knees replaced by Dr. James Dowd, MD. Right knee 2013 and Left knee 2014. Both surgeries were excellent. Dr. Dowd fully explained ALL that I would encounter with the surgery and my recovery and therapy time. I have been fully pleased with my experience with Dr. Dowd, his bedside manner and his attention to my "being such a baby" about PAIN. I did not experience pain after surgery except for the normal that you would expect. I have recommended Dr. Dowd to numerous others.
in Norfolk, Va |
Great experience!! Total right hip replacement, up and walking in a week without a walker and getting steadily better ever since.
Virginia Beach, VA |
Dr. Dowd and his staff have been available and attentive at all times. I always refer Dr. Dowd and JYI whenever I hear of someone hurting from joint pain. Additionally, he works closely with the hospital so that the care and rehab offered to his patients is followed per his guidelines.
in Virginia Beach, VA |
Dr. Dowd performed my hip replacement 3 years ago. I have had absolutely no problems with my hip since that time. I work out at the gym, take yoga classes, and walk 15-20 thousand steps a day. I high recommend Dr. Dowd!!
in Virginia Beach, VA |
I highly recommend Dr. Dowd for total knee replacement. I am writing this after one year and have enjoyed relief from the pain and the ability to participate in many activities. The surgery is major and requires a good recuperative environment in which to heal. I followed the instructions given to me carefully and especially appreciated the professionalism of his physician's assistant who guided me. Again, I recommend Dr. Dowd as a surgeon...I have recommended him to several friends!
Virginia Beach, VA |
Dr. Dowd is an excellent and diligent surgeon. He did TKR on both knees and a revision on one when my knee rejected the prosthetic. His expertise in operating on my difficult and complicated knee was wonderful and successful. He is very caring and spent a lot of time with me explaining the issues and how to repair them.
in Newport News, VA |
Dr. Dowd has performed three knee replacements (one unicompartmental, two totals) and one hip replacement for me. All have worked out remarkably well. I have total confidence in his diagnoses and surgical expertise.
in Virginia Beach, VA |
Dr Dowd was recommended by a number of people. I have had both hips replaced by Dr Dowd at different times because of the first successful procedure.
in Virginia Beach, VA |
Dr. Dowd IS the MAN! Right hip is a year old and wish the rest of me felt this good. Went from dragging the leg behind for 6 years before having the procedure and it has changed my life a complete 180. Now I do all I did and more. I have returned to playing Soccer and hope to be Coaching outdoor soccer again soon. Thanks to Dr. Dowd and his staff, I can be active Grandpa, Father, and player again.
in Chesapeake VA23321 |
I have been going to Dr. Dowd since 2004 and would not ever consider anyone else. He is professional, caring, keeps up with the latest advancements in knee procedures and research. He answers all your questions in a way that you can understand and if you still need help understanding he is so patient explaining it again until you understand. He is definitely a 10+
in Norfolk, VA |
Dr. Dowd is fantastic! He helped me manage my pain before I decided to have surgery and was always supportive of my needs and pain. When I decided to have a total knee replacement, Dr. Dowd explained everything to my husband and me so I was totally prepared for the surgery and recovery. His patient attendance is outstanding and his personality was fun and comforting. In the future, I'll need my other knee replacement and I would not even consider having anyone other than Dr. Dowd do it.
Virginia Beach, VA |
Abrupt manner, didn't even look at the history I was required to complete. Within 5 min, he diagnosed my issue without asking questions about symptoms and said he saw "20" of these cases a day. Didn't offer any explanation of condition. Would not recommend this physician at all
in Chesapeake Virginia |
Not good at all !! I had left knee replacement done in April 2015 and still suffering from pain. Been back numerous times I was told the pain was all in my head. Dr Dowd did not do any testing to even try to find out my problem. He never had a answer for me. You might said he just left me hanging. Bedside manner stinks ! Just rude !!!! Found out I have a stress fracture and all I was ever told it takes time and had to except the fact I had a knee replacement !!
in Chesapeake, VA. 23322 |
Since my surgery this year. I have been in constant pain. I have not had a restful night. Every time I have been seen, he don't know why I am in pain. I will never recommend him to anyone. Now I have to find someone who can help me. Every since my surgery I have been walking with a cane.
Have you seen Dr. James Dowd, MD?
Are you Dr. Dowd?

Tricare
  • Husky Health
  • inHealth
    IN Total Health
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
  • Midwest Health Plan