Orthopedic Foot & Ankle Surgery  |
Dr. James DeOrio, MD
Dr. James DeOrio, MD is an orthopedic foot & ankle surgery doctor who practices in Durham, NC. He is 69 years old. Dr. DeOrio is affiliated with Duke University Hospital.

Durham Office

• HealthSmart
  • MedCost
  • Mutual of Omaha

Learn about Dr. DeOrio

As a child I loved giving presents. It gave me great pleasure to select a gift and then present it to the recipient and watch their face as they opened the present. Now I get to do the same thing for my patients. Removing patient's pain and giving them greater mobility in life is the best gift I could ever give anyone. I am so pleased I have been able to spend my life helping others and I look forward to helping you.

Dr. DeOrio's Experience

Dr. DeOrio's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Orthopedic Foot & Ankle Surgery

• Orthopedic Foot & Ankle Surgery

Dr. DeOrio does not have any board certifications listed.

• Achilles Tendinitis
  • Ankylosing Spondylitis
  • Broken Arm
  • Bunion
  • Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Foot Fracture
  • Heel Spur
  • Internal Derangement of Knee
  • Knee Fracture
  • Knee Sprain
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) Sprain

• Myofascial Trigger Point Injection
  • Nerve Block, Somatic
  • Neuroplasty
  • Peripheral Nerve Block

No malpractice history found for North Carolina.

• George Washington University School Of Medicine and Health Sciences
    Medical School | Graduated
  • Wilford Hall Usaf Med Center
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1978
  • Mayo Clinic
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1982
  • Ao Foundation
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1983

Dr. DeOrio has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. DeOrio has no media or publications listed.

Dr. DeOrio does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. DeOrio and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. DeOrio's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. DeOrio to family and friends
4.5
Dr. DeOrio's Performance
in Greensboro, NC |
I am extremely pleased with the ankle replacement surgery performed by Dr. James DeOrio. I had endured years of torturous pain that began as an injury during a soft ball game. Over the years I had been advised to have cortisone shots but the pain never subsided. I walked with my foot angled outward to reduce the pain. Dr. DeOrio performed replacement surgery and I can honestly say I am pain free after all these years. Thank you Dr. DeOrio!
in Durham, N.C. |
I received excellent care from Dr. Deorio & from Duke Hospital. I had sustained an open fracture of the ankle 18 months prior. Because of unrelenting pain, Dr. Deorio performed a total ankle replacement. I found him to be an excellent physician/surgeon.....he is very caring and compassionate....he listened to me & answered all my questions. I would definitely recommend him for any ankle surgery. (I am a retired RN)
in Marietta, GA |
Dr D`Orio replaced my ankle joint two years ago. I was almost crippled due to an injury I sustained in 1963. I couldn`t be happier with the results and with Dr. D`Orio and his team. At the time of my surgery, he had done over 900 ankle replacements, I suspect the number is around 1000 today. Cliff J. Judkins
Being a professional in health care you appreciate the ability of a skilled surgeon in your sudden need. Dr. DeOrio was that surgeon for us. Not only did he accommodate us but went above and beyond to keep us from having to wait an extended period for surgery. I appreciate the fact that he is to the point and honest.
in Bristol, VA |
I was born with high arches,but years ago I sustained tendon ruptures and underwent tendon reconstruction.Dr. DeOrio reviewed the x-rays, told me he would recommend bilateral vantage ankle replacements with some major reconstruction.He advised me,to do both ankles at the same time with Dr. Easley operating on the left ankle as he operated on the right.3 weeks in casts,3 weeks in walking boots,and I was out walking in regular shoes.After 4 months, I’ve played 5 rounds of golf.Thanks Dr. DeOrio!
in Williamsburg, VA |
Replaced both my ankles and I couldn't be more pleased. No more pain, and an incredible improvement to everyday life. I feel like I have a new lease on life. Great staff, and efficient office.
Fountain Hills, AZ |
I am a 60 yr old surgeon and have had seven previous orthopedic operations. From receptionist, to shuttle drivers, to nursing, to my surgeon I am in awe as to the compassion, personalized care, efficiency, and absolute skill that was devoted to my care. Dr. DeOrio, I have learned so much about quality care from you. I am better than I ever expected to be again. I saw ten different surgeons until I settled on Duke and Dr DeOrio. He is a humble, personable, and dedicated MD. Thk You!
in Gainesville, GA |
My foot doctor in Georgia sent me to Dr. DeOrio because I needed the best.. The 370 miles to Duke was worth it. I have had 14 different ortho surgeries. This is the only one that had NO complications, steps backward, issues. He listened to my history, and I felt total confidence in him. We have a relative that used him Florida and then moved to North Carolina and used him again and she loved him also.
in Cary, NC |
Dr. DeOrio diagnosed the problem with my ankle quickly. I had been to three other orthopedic surgeons over the last year and none of them saw the problem with my ankle. Dr. DeOrio saw the problem in the x-ray and immediately decided on a treatment plan that fixed my ankle injury that I had been suffering with for a year.
in Greensboro, NC |
Dr. DeOrio replaced my left ankle 4 years ago and I have had annual and now bi-annual check-ups with him. I went to him on the recommendation of a friend who also had an ankle replacement with him. I trust him totally. He is very good at sharing and explaining the x-rays with me. In addition to being an excellent surgeon, he a kind, caring person.
in Marietta, GA |
Dr. DeOrio is one of the most compassionate and knowledgeable doctors that I have ever been associated with. From the very first visit he made me feel at ease, coupled with his expertise in performing total ankle replacements, it was a very positive experience. That was the main reason that I travelled from Atlanta, GA to Durham, NC to have my surgery with Dr. DeOrio. It is turrning out to be a great decision, as I am well ahead of schedule and walking pain free after 4 months since my surgery.
in Edgemoor, SC |
I cannot say enough good things about Dr. DeOrio. I was born with a congenital deformity, "skew foot" in both feet. I could not take a step without pain. After doing extensive research to find a doctor (I'm a retired librarian), Dr. DeOrio stood out as THE surgeon for me. I couldn't have made a better choice. He reconstructed my right foot to a virtually pain free state, and in May of this year, he performed the "elegant", complex surgery on my left foot. Compassionate. Skillful. Insightful.
in High Point, NC |
Dr. DeOrio was our angel in replacing Jim's ankle. We were referred by Dr. Hewitt in Greensboro and are so grateful for referring us to an outstanding Dr. We were scared for what our answer from the doctor might be before we arrived. Dr. DeOrio was reassuring and at the same time told us what could be, but his goal was to see that Jim would have use of his ankle. We thank God for DeOrio and his staff for Jim's care and just know that on July 24th we will be told, "get ready to play golf".
in Lynchburg, VA |
I just completed my four year check up from double ankle replacement which has been nothing less than a miracle. This was a difficult procedure that was made as comfortable as possible due to the excellent surgeons , post op care and long term follow up. I could not ask for a better outcome in any way . It has certainly been a positive life change .
in Littleton, NC |
Dr. DeOrio determined that my foot drop would benefit from a posterior tendon transfer. The surgery was performed 3/28/17. I was unable to walk unassisted. We are now a little over 3 months out from surgery. My physical therapist was amazed how soon after the cast/boot 9 weeks recovery I was demonstrating a nice up and down range of motion. I am now walking without orthotics. I was told the swelling would last a lengthy time and that is the only thing that I have as an issue. Thanks Dr. D.
in Sanford, NC |
Doctor DeOrio is the best Doctor in all aspects of his Patients care and their family needs. I would recommend him to anybody who are having feet problems.
in Marietta, GA |
My experience with experience with Dr. DeOrio has been nothing short of excellent. From our first appointment on examination of my right ankle he recommended Ankle Replacement as the best option for me. He was very patient in fielding all of our questions and explaining the procedure. I am always amazed at the friendliness and efficiency of the staff at Duke. Dr. DeOrio lives up to his reputation of being the best TAR surgeon in the business.
in Winston Salem, NC |
Dr. DeOrio did an ankle replacement on me in January 2017, I was amazed at the speed and efficiency of the whole procedure. I was thrilled that they contacted me of an earlier date that i could have the surgery done, great communications. I was amazed at the difference and the lack of pain from the procedure and how much better i can move after the surgery. I am very pleased with the outcome and would recommend him to anyone.
in Morgantown, WV |
Dr. DeOrio performed a Total Ankle Replacement surgery (TAR) on my right ankle in May 2014. Three years post-op and I am doing very well. Dr. DeOrio is a gifted and compassionate surgeon who has certainly made my life better. I would highly recommend him to anyone considering ankle fusion or TAR. He has performed many of these surgeries using many different types of TAR implants providing him with a basis on which to decide which implant would most likely be best in my particular case.
in Richmond, VA |
Dr. DeOrio has been great to work with, he makes you very comfortable and confident. He takes the time to explain what is happening and answers questions so that I understood them. The staff at the office off page road is great as well as the surgery center where I had my procedure done. I drove 3 hours to see Dr. Deorio and it has been well worth it. Great job and thanks
Douglasville, GA |
Dr. DeOrio is an excellent doctor. He replaced both my ankles and fused bones in one foot, and I have had no trouble since. I have done a lot of walking since all three operations and have had no pain. Dr DeOrio is very professional , answers all of my questions, and did further research as to why I needed so many joint replacements. From my extensive research, Dr DeOrio appeared to be the best choice for me and my choice proved to be an excellent one. I highly recommend him.
in Montpelier, VA |
Dr. DeOrio has provided me with the best surgery and care for the replacement of my left ankle. This ankle was badly injured 50 years ago and was causing me much pain and the inability to walk correctly. The surgery was very successful and should last me the rest of my life. He is very thorough and is very pleased with the results. Dr. DeOrio always has time and answers for my concerns and is most reassuring when needed. Thank you for the time and care you have taken with me as a patient.
in BRIDGEWATER, VA |
I could't have asked for a better surgeon or hospital to work with! I have had both ankles replaced by Dr. DeOrio and couldn't be happier. Dr. DeOrio is the best, bar none! Duke hospital and surgical is a tight run ship. Everyone that assists you is most pleasant and all seem like they love what they do. I would recommend them always.
in Middleburg, FL |
Tho I live 500 miles away, I've recommended Dr. DeOrio often. Both of my ankles had suffered severe sports injury traumas - one in the mid-1960's; the other in early 1970's. Ligaments were shredded. Over the decades, joints deformed & all cartilege wore away. Both were major surgical challenges. Dr.DeOrio replaced both. His superlative diagnostic and surgical skills were apparent. I can now walk without pain. I've also appreciated his care in readily responding to questions and concerns.
in Tallahassee, FL |
After a severe and multiple break of tibia, fibula and talus in July, 2014, my local orthopedic doc told me I would need ankle replacement. I researched on line and found Dr. James DeOrio at Duke Medical. I knew from my research that he was the best choice for me and that was confirmed when I met him last summer at our initial consultatuon. He did TAR 11-18-16 and I today was my 6-month check up. I'm doing great. I feel I now have my life back. Dr. DeOrio did a perfect job and I'm grateful.
in Mebane, NC |
My right ankle was smashed real bad in a motorcycle back in 1989 and four years later I feel of a roof and it got broke up again. over the years arthritis set in to the point were i could not put any kind of weight on it at all. I scheduled a appointment with Dr. DeOrio to see about fuzzing the ankle. He suggested a ankle replacement in which I had him do. Its been a year since the replacement. and today I walk with absolutely no pain. And might I add I am a 77 year old man. thanks Dr DeOrio
in Greeneville, TN |
On August 28, 2015, Dr. DeOrio performed an ankle replacement on my left foot. After my first appointment, I felt very confident in him. He and his staff were friendly, efficient, competent, and caring. He explained everything in a way that my wife and I could understand. After a thorough examination, he informed me that he didn't think there would be a problem performing my surgery. The surgery went perfectly. I was never in any pain. I could not have gotten better care.
Have you seen Dr. James DeOrio, MD?
Are you Dr. DeOrio?