Dr. James Cooper, MD

Dr. James Cooper, MD

General Surgery  |
Dr. James Cooper, MD is a general surgery doctor who practices in Surprise, AZ. He is 49 years old and has been practicing for 22 years. Dr. Cooper is affiliated with Abrazo Arrowhead Campus and Banner Del E. Webb Medical Center.

12361 W Bola Dr Ste 100

Surprise, AZ 85378

• Mercy Care

Learn about Dr. Cooper

See how frequently Dr. Cooper performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Gastrointestinal Diseases
Stomach Diseases
Vascular Disease

Dr. Cooper's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

This content was provided by Dr. Cooper "As as surgeon, I strive to help improve my patients' quality of life using my surgical skills and compassion."

• General Surgery

• Breast Lump
  • Carcinoma in Situ
  • Central Nervous System Lymphoma
  • Cholecystitis and Gallstones
  • Coagulation Disorders (incl. Hemophilia)
  • Colorectal Cancer
  • Parathyroid Adenoma
  • Polycythemia Rubra Vera
  • Pregnancy-Related Disorders
  • Primary Central Nervous System Lymphoma
  • Primary Hypercoagulable State (incl. Factor V Leiden Disease)
  • Prostate Cancer

• Port Placements or Replacements
  • Splenectomy
  • Thyroid Surgery
  • Thyroidectomy or Thyroid Lobectomy

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Arizona.

• University Of Arizona
    Undergraduate School | Graduated
  • University Of Arizona
    Medical School | Graduated 1995
  • Mayo Clin
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1996
  • Phoenix Integrated Surgery Res
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2000

Dr. Cooper has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Cooper does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Cooper and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Cooper's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Cooper to family and friends
Dr. Cooper's Performance
in Surprise, AZ |
Dr. Cooper did a fine job of explaining the need for hernia surgery and thoroughly explained the process and what to expect. He has excellent bedside manner and accurately depicted what was going to happen. My recovery is going great and I am back playing pickleball. Thanks Doc! Phil Randklev
in Surprise, AZ |
Dr Cooper & staff are the VERY BEST! I went to Dr Cooper to have my Gallbladder w/gallstones removed, was referred by my PCP but also read many raving reviews first! Dr Cooper did such a wonderful job with my surgery that I didn't even need to take the narcotic pain medicine, I only took OTC pain relievers! He takes his time to listen to all concerns. He is very confident and yet not arrogant. He has excellent bedside manners! His staff are equally as kind. Everything was explained fully!
Buckeye, AZ |
Takes the time to address any and all of your questions. Pleasant staff Had a gallbladder removal Overall was a good experience
in Sun City West, AZ |
Needs to get a new watch. Ran late the morning of surgery.
in Sun City West, AZ |
I saw Dr. Cooper, whom I have never meant before when I was in extreme pain in the hospital. He was very kind and helpful to let me know what the next steps were on my condition. He was able to get me in the next day to have my surgery. His bedside manner was very pleasant and just really appreciate the way he treated me.
in Sun City West, AZ |
Had a very positive procedure done by Dr Cooper. He is a very caring and a good communicator. I had a hernia repair with a very good outcome! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him to anyone that needs a surgeon.
in Sun City West, AZ |
Dr. Cooper took the time to sit down with me and explain the procedure and answer any questions that I had. The surgery (hernia) went well with no problems then or afterwards.
Sun City, AZ |
Dr. Cooper and his staff are top notch professionals.
in Surprise, AZ |
My experience with Dr.Cooper was very good. Office staff was very efficient everything went as they said it would.The operation went smoothly and the duration was as they estimated. Recovery uneventful. My recovery at home was very easy since I followed the instructions given to me. I would not hesitate to recommend Dr. Cooper to anyone. John Pavelka
in Peoria, Arizona |
Dr Cooper is very patient oriented as is his staff. He and his staff answer your questions and will find out answers they can't immediately answer. They make you feel at home and at ease. The only negative I found was that I had to wait for 4 1/2hrs in pre-surgery, but I can't say that had anything to do with the Dr. Clinic appointments were handled very promptly.
in Surprise, az |
Dr cooper is an amazing Dr! I instantly felt so comfortable with him, and he has a great personality which makes it easy to talk to him. His staff is incredibly nice also. I believe the first person you see in an office should be a friendly smiling face, and that is how it is there. I had surgery done for an umbilical hernia, and my incision is so tiny you cannot even see it! Surgery was a breeze I was in and out in no time! I highly recommend dr cooper to anyone!
in Waddell,AZ |
Had appendicitis and had to have my appendix removed. Dr. Cooper and his staff were amazing. They got the job done, told me exactly what to expect during my recovery, and when I went to see Dr. Cooper for my post op his visit, his office staff was nothing less than awesome. Very friendly office, professional, asked how I was feeling, and when I met with Dr Cooper, he took the time to explain what my surgery was like and took the time to answer my questions. Definitely recommend.
Peoria, AZ |
Great Doctor, Great Staff.
in Wickenburg, AZ |
Dr. Cooper and his whole staff are amazing. Very efficient in getting me in and a fast scheduled surgery. Dr. Cooper did an awesome job and is very personable and caring. I trust this team very much with my health needs. Highly recommended!
Surprise, AZ |
Took the time to listen to my concerns and addressed them.
in SCW AZ |
Fantastic, fixed a problem I had for 10 years which no one else could figure out
in Surprise, 85378 |
He performed emergency gall bladder removal. Good bed side manners.
in Surprise, AZ |
Dr Cooper is very considerate of what the patient needs to get done, knowledgeable, very nice. Yes, I would recommend him.
in Wickenburg, Az |
He made me feel at ease. Everything went exactly as he said. He is friendly and to the point. I would seek his services again if needed.
in Surprisee, AZ |
I had to have a double Hernia operation & I'm telling you Dr.Cooper is the 1 you want to do this operation. Friendly staff & Dr Cooper is a top notch surgeon, made me feel @ ease great bedside manner & easy to talk too in layman's terms. Thank You Dr Cooper. William McTheny
Surprise, Az |
Prompt, efficient staff. Friendly and professional.
in Glendale, AZ |
So glad to have this Dr. do the procedure. Professional yet easy to understand and willing to listen. Good job Dr.
in Tempe, AZ |
Dr Cooper was exceptional, as was the staff. He was easy to talk to, explained the whole process (robotic surgery, inguinal hernia) in terms I could understand, and together we reached the conclusion that surgery was in my best interest. Fast recovery with minimal discomfort. Banner Del Webb Hospital was also exceptional, communicating with me through every step of the process.
in Surprise, AZ |
Dr. Cooper is the best surgeon I have ever encountered. His personality is outstanding and his skill regarding my surgery was masterful.
in Surprise, AZ |
Great bedside manner. Just a great guy. Excellent job on my surgery too.
in Surprise, AZ |
Dr. Cooper fully explains in detail the surgery to be performed. In my case it was a gall bladder removal. The surgery had unexpected difficulties which were handled professionally and the time frame for recovery was very accurate. I felt Dr. Cooper coped well with all aspects of the surgery.
in Phoenix, AZ |
Dr. Cooper was awesome. Symptoms of an inguinal hernia about 18 months ago with 6 months of hopeful waiting. He performed a thorough exam. No obvious inguinal hernia was present but he did observe a umbilical hernia which I didn't know I had. He thought the inguinal hernia was a sports hernia and spent some time discussing options -- surgery, live with it, PT, testing, etc. No pressure. 12 months later, I decided to have the surgery. Great experience. Robot assisted laparoscopy and Del Webb.
in Buckeye, AZ |
I recently had surgery preformed by Dr. Cooper. Everything was excellent, from start to finish. Dr. Cooper explained everything in detail, what would happen from pre-op to post-op. Dr. Cooper was courteous, very knowledgeable and straight to the point. Dr. Cooper's office staff were excellent from start to finish, also! Thank You!!!
in Buckeye, AZ |
in Surprise, AZ |
He was assigned by Banner Hospital to do my emergency Appendectomy. Boy am I glad they did. Dr. Cooper came in and explained what was going to happen. Operation only took about 1/2 hour and I was able to go home that evening.
thiensville, wi |
Very kind and takes his time, never felt rushed. He was happy to answer questions and offer options. Did a great job with my Gall Bladder Surgery, quickly. His office staff are super, friendly and helpful. The only thing that I didn't like was his billing office - they kept saying I hadn't paid a bill, which I had. Took over a year to sort out!
in Chandler, AZ |
First of all, the office staff was very helpful and courteous. They are very easy to get in contact with and will return your phone call asap. And of course, best of all, Dr. Cooper is so nice! He takes his time to answer all your questions thoroughly without rushing to get out. Didn't leave a doubt in our minds of the procedure and questions we had. Even though we live in Chandler, it was definitely worth driving all the way to his office in Surprise. We highly recommend him!
in Wickenburg, AZ |
This surgeon has taken care of me for two different ailments, both excellent experiences.
in Sun City West, AZ |
Had an umbilical hernia repaired. No after pain, tiny incision. Great work, Dr!
in Wickenburg, AZ |
I had a very favorable experience....felt confident and comfortable with Dr. Cooper. My surgery went very well, recovery was short and all is good. I will recommend Dr. Cooper. The office staff was efficient, friendly, organized and very professional.
in Surprise, AZ |
. . . .very accommodating.
in Surprise, Az |
Very good experience. Follow up calls were made before and after surgery. Painless and quick hospital visit. I will recommend!
in Surprise, AZ |
Had emergency hernia surgery. Was released about 4 hrs. after surgery. he used modern methods to repair hernia. At that time I was in therapy for a total knee replacement. Never had any pain during or after therapy including my required 30 minute walks. Dr Cooper worked with me to allow maximum use of my therapy during the time it took for the surgery to heal. Compared to a hernia I had taken care of a number of years ago this was a walk in the park.
in Congress, AZ |
Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy. This entire experience (from initial consultation/through the surgical procedure/including follow-up) was totally professional and showed an understanding of patient stress. Dr.'s Professional and Office Staff were thorough, polite and courteous, and everyone exhibited a wonderful bedside humor, which was relaxing in a difficult situation. Dr. gave me the impression all my questions were important and legitimate, and he answered all of them professionally.
in Buckeye AZ |
Everything about the entire experience was positive. He's very personable and I felt comfortable with him from the minute that I met him. He's a nice guy, very easy to talk to, and explains things in terms that normal people can understand. The office staff was very friendly and helpful.
in Phoenix, AZ |
I loved Dr. Cooper and plan to use him again if I need a General Surgeon. He explained the surgery clearly to me and gave me reasonable expectations for recovery. Staff was great as well.
in Surprise, AZ |
Dr. Cooper was very personable. He explained the treatment options clearly and in a thoughtful manner. He helped me feel comfortable with the treatment option I elected.
in Springfield, VA |
Dr. Cooper is an excellent surgeon and communicates beautifully. He explains both upcoming surgery and surgical results clearly and in a relaxed manner that inspires confidence. Surgery isn't supposed to be enjoyable, but Dr. Cooper and his staff have been so good that I am wondering what I might have removed next!
in Surprise, AZ |
Dr. Cooper exudes confidence. From the minute I met him I was comfortable that I was in good hands. That proved to be the case. The problems I had were corrected, and my recovery was free of pain or discomfort. Within days I was back to my normal routine as though the surgery had never happened
in Salome, AZ |
Very friendly, straight talking. My surgery recovery was fast. That tells me Dr. Cooper knows what he is doing.
Excellent doctor
in Surprise, AZ |
Dr Cooper performed my appendectomy, he was great, and really put me at ease meeting with him before my surgery. We had a few questions at my follow up, and he took the time to explain everything to us completely.
Have you seen Dr. James Cooper, MD?
Are you Dr. Cooper?