Dr. James Choo, MD

Pain MedicineMaleAge 44

Dr. Choo

Pain Consultnts East Tennessee

1128 E Weisgarber Rd Ste 100 Knoxville, TN 37909

Dr. James Choo, MD is a Pain Medicine Specialist in Knoxville, TN and has over 17 years of experience in the medical field. He graduated from Univ Of Tn Hlth Sci Ctr medical school in 2004. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Choo to book an appointment.

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Pain Medicine Specialists in your area

No malpractice claims found for Tennessee

Check Dr. Choo's experience treating your condition or procedure

Dr. Choo's Top Procedures and Conditions

Chronic Pain

Dr. Choo treats Chronic Pain more than 100% of his peers

Dr. Choo treats this condition more than 100% of his peers

Osteoarthritis of Spine

Dr. Choo treats Osteoarthritis of Spine more than 99% of his peers

Dr. Choo treats this condition more than 99% of his peers

Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement)

Dr. Choo treats Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement) more than 98% of his peers

Dr. Choo treats this condition more than 98% of his peers

Rating Includes other areas of care:

• Brachial Neuritis
  • Polyneuritis
  • Radiculitis
  • Ulnar Neuritis
  • Vestibular Neuritis
Hide other areas of care

Dr. Choo's conditions and procedures:

• Stellate Ganglion Block
  • Trigeminal Neuralgia
  • Upper Back Pain

Dr. Choo accepts

Dr. Choo accepts the following insurance:

American Republic

Dr. Choo's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Choo

3.3

Dr. Choo
Choo is the worst health care provider in the profession! Why? Because he doesn’t provide care. He’s only concerned about money. I have one of the most painful diseases known to man and it has no cure. My pain will never get better and my only hope to any fragment of quality of life is with opioid pain medication. He plays God with peoples lives and to alleviate human suffering is not in his vocabulary. If you truly live life in chronic pain, never listen to a doctor who tells you that you’re at the maximum dosage. They’re lying to you! Check with the FDA, there is no such thing as limits on dosage foAll this jerk wants is to talk you into his occupational therapy area. I don’t need therapy, I need opioid pain medication and he refuses. I hope you read this Choo. You don’t even deserve to be called a doctor, that title is only deserved and reserved for a human that cares about another humans quality of life. And you don’t even come close!! Prospective patients you have been warned!
  • Staff wasn't friendly
Lisa A. – Jun 14, 2021
Absolutely horrible. Terrible bedside manner and disgusting,” I know everything,” attitude. “Dr” Choo is very jaded. He assumes everyone is in it for drugs. Disgusting human being and an incompetent,”doctor.”
ActuallyItsMe – Aug 07, 2020
I have been a chronic pain patient for over 10 years. I was in the Tennova Pain Center for many years on high levels of opiates and procedures that didn’t help. I came to Pain Consultants when the state closed Tennova and I have NOTHING but praise for these doctors and this pain center. Dr Browder has retired now, so I am seeing Dr Choo for consults and procedures. I have been struggling with neck pain for 15 years, and acute neck pain for 2 years. After surgery was unsuccessful in relieving my pain, I received a procedure that has absolutely almost obliterated my pain. For a chronic pain patient, this relief brings tears. Dr Choo is extremely knowledgeable about the opiate crisis, adverse childhood experiences, and procedures that ease pain without the use of heavy opiates. Their center has everything a chronic pain patient needs, from psychological assessment, to physical therapy and surgery center. Best gift I’ve ever received from a doctor, at none.
Marilyn Maines – Jul 28, 2020
I do not like PCET. Overall it feels like it is an assembly line operation. Perhaps I still carry a jaded view of the practice from when they were advertising on TV some years back. At that time I was dismissed from their practice for "rudeness" because I wanted more than just to go there monthly for a med RX - I wanted a real strategy for dealing with my spinal pain issues. I was not rude, but I did fill out a patient complaint form because I was upset back then about how it had become a "pill mill." Then recently I was referred back there for procedures and now instead of a pill mill it is like an assembly line - they don't give you any time to rest and recover after procedures, they just can't get you up and dressed and out of their building fast enough!
Jul 11, 2020
Horrible! He pushes the "classes" and requires one to come to his office every other week. If you don't, then you are out regarding your meds. Talk about 1984 (the book)! These people at his clinic are all about money. Why must one have a middleman between himself and his primary care physician in Tennessee? As I am a double amputee and have a great deal of phantom pain as well as pressure pain from my prosthetics, I am required by Choo to have to spend money every 2 weeks to go there.
Zoe – May 15, 2020
?? per cent pain free from lower back pain after years of a daily regimen of opioids I am free from them thanks to DR.CHOO and his friendly staff my (RFA) treatment works great.I recommend DR.CHOO to anyone looking for real relief from chronic back pain.i had forgotten what life was all about between the chronic pain and the opioids plus the destruction opioids was raging on my body and mind.DR.CHOO and staff are to be highly praised for their work,THANK YOU DR.CHOO ??
R.bingham in TN – Feb 15, 2019
I cannot say enough good things about Dr. Choo and his staff. I appreciate that Dr. Choo offers for other treatments other than just medications. I have just finished my second injection with him and my pain relief is unbelievable. When you fight severe pain on a daily basis, it dominates you and your life. I had forgotten how amazing life can be to be almost completely pain free. I encourage others to see Dr. Choo to see if he can help reduce or eliminate your pain.
Feb 05, 2019
Chronic pain sufferers should steer clear of this quackish little man. He can't fix anything. Will not return calls after failed operations. Terrible bedside manners. Treats his staff like slaves and dummies. Can't figure out how he still bills himself as a pain management doctor. Avoid. Avoid.Avoid.
CKB in TN – Jan 09, 2019
They want to have you come weekly. People were in there crying in pain, who should have been home not pushing their abilities and coming weely. They want to do epidurals in your spine & do them, which are not FDA approved because they often cause Arachnoiditis-one of the most painful conditions known, death & paralysis. They sat me in a room telling me they want to do surgery on me and pushing a spinal stimulator & when I tried saying no, I was told to be quiet!
  • Staff wasn't friendly
  • Long wait times
Kodak – Feb 04, 2018
Excellent! Has helped give me my life back! I recommend him highly!
Ann in Oak Ridge, TN – Apr 07, 2017
I couldn't get the sliding scale to work, I'm. 52-year-old and I see Dr Choo. and his staff every month and a least every 3 to 6 months to have the nerves burnt in my neck and hopefully lower back soon. I love Dr. Choo and his staff I dont know what I would be without them they have helped me so much. They listen they take the time and really understand theyre NOT one of these fly by night pain clinics so if that's what you are looking for then Dr. Choo is not your doctor he cares
Angela P in Oak Ridge, TN – May 03, 2016

How was your experience with Dr. Choo?

• Pain Medicine