Dr. James Choi, MD

Dr. James Choi, MD

Hematology & Oncology  |

Dr. James Choi, MD is a hematology & oncology doctor who practices in Glendale, AZ. He is 43 years old and has been practicing for 17 years. Dr. Choi is affiliated with Banner Boswell Medical Center, Dignity Health - St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center, St. Joseph's Westgate Medical Center, Banner Thunderbird Medical Center and Abrazo Arrowhead Campus.

Arizona Center for Cancer Care

5750 W Thunderbird Rd Ste C300

Glendale, AZ 85306

• AARP
  • Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS)
  • Arizona Medical Network
  • AZ Foundation Medical Care (AZFMC)
  • Banner Health
  • Care 1st Health Plan
  • Golden Rule
  • Health Net
  • Maricopa Health Plan

Learn about Dr. Choi

See how frequently Dr. Choi performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Bone Marrow Biopsy
Blood Disorders
Primary Hypercoagulable State (incl. Factor V Leiden Disease)

Dr. Choi's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

This content was provided by Dr. Choi "To help people achieve health for life."

• Hematology & Oncology

• Medical Oncology
    Accredited by: American Board of Internal Medicine*

• Acute Leukemia
  • Acute Lymphoid Leukemia
  • Acute Myeloid Leukemia
  • All Lymphoma
  • Anemia
  • Antiphospholipid Syndrome (APS)
  • Bleeding Disorders
  • Blood Disorders
  • Bone Cancer
  • Chronic Myeloid Leukemia (CML)
  • Coagulation Disorders (incl. Hemophilia)
  • Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
  • Hodgkin's Disease
  • Hypercoagulable State
  • Immune Thrombocytopenic Purpura (ITP)
  • Leukocytosis
  • Nodular Lymphoma
  • Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma
  • Pancytopenia
  • Polycythemia Rubra Vera
  • Primary Hypercoagulable State (incl. Factor V Leiden Disease)
  • Purpura
  • Thrombocytosis
  • Thrombosis
  • Venous Embolism and Thrombosis

• Bone Marrow Biopsy

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Arizona.

• Wright State Univ Sch Of Med
    Medical School | Graduated 2000
  • Loyola University Medical Center
    Internship Hospital | Completed 2001
  • Loyola University Medical Center
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2003
  • University of Arizona
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2007

Dr. Choi has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Choi does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Choi and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Choi's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Choi to family and friends
4.1
Dr. Choi's Performance
Avondale, AZ |
Since Honor Health has taken over the practice, the quality of care has gone down. It does not say much for the doctors when they work for such an organization. Beware of cancer care centers that need to fill waiting rooms and charge extra for visits as though you went to an actual hospital. They care more about seeing you in a short amount of time than really going over your chart and your needs. Something may be overlooked no matter how kind the doctors are.
in Mesa, AZ |
Thank you to doctor Choi and his staff for the professionalism and kindness they show to my father. Very knowledgeable, communicates well and always spends as much time as needed when we are there. Thanks to them my dad is getting better and has a bright future. Treatment area, reception and billing are easy to talk too and always answer our questions. We go to Avondale office which is new and comfortable. Thank you! You are all special to our family.
in Peoria |
Dr Choi and his staff are amazing and highly recommend him. I was diagnosed with a very aggressive form of cancer and have had excellent treatment and am alive today because of him. He found a cutting edge immuno therapy for me and my exact cancer cell and I am having amazing results. Thank you to him and his staff, my family and I are grateful for all of you.
in Peoria |
Doctor Choi and his staff are amazing. Always personable, friendly and knowledgeable. Most of all, he saved my life and my family and I are grateful for everything. Absolutely no issues with billing or scheduling. Highly recommend him, very knowledgeable of all treatments available and communicates well. THANK YOU DR. CHOI!
Glendale,AZ |
It’s all been said in the other five star reviews. Dr. Choi and his staff are all I could have hoped for in a medical practitioner. He has been my physician for several years now and has always provided the absolute best care, and I believe, best advice and treatment during every visit and for every issue. If you are looking for a doctor whose medical knowledge is in depth, and takes the time to be caring and compassionate he is it!!
I saw Dr. Choi for a second opinion as my first Oncologist gave me a death sentence. I was pleased with the staff, medical assistants as well as Dr Choi. He is proactive, upbeat, and positive about my cancer outcome. He is friendly, smart, confident and doesn't hesitate to spend time answering questions. Dr Choi and staff offer quality care.
in Goodyear, AZ |
I met Dr.Choi almost 5 years ago. I was sent to him to treat my small cell lung cancer. Admiitedly, I arrived with an attitude expecting the worst possible outcome. Dr Choi helped change that and started treatments which is why I am here today writting this. I thank Dr. Choi for the years that he has given me because of his attitude, his knowledge, his careing, and the treatments to fight the cancer in me. Thank You Dr Choi.. You are my hero..
in Peoria, AZ |
I pay $50 to see a specialist, which I paid at the time of visit. James Choi and Honor Health then charge $134.98 for the use of the office. It was not a specialty room, just an office visit. Shame on both James Choi and Honor Health! I spoke with my insurance and they said they should not have billed it this way and I am not responsible. But when speaking with Honor Health, they blew me off and said this is the way it is. And, I was only seen by an assistant, never the Dr. Choi.
in Anthem |
I saw Dr. Choi two years ago and needed to see him again. I never imagined the horrors that awaited me. I don't know if it's because his practice is now under the umbrella of Honor Health or what, but no one knows what they are doing, it's impossible to get through to anyone who knows ANYTHING in precert. After a week of unbelievable frustration, I hung up on them and will never go back. Since he never spent more than 30 seconds with me in a room, I have no idea if he's good.
in Phoenix, AZ |
I am a two time cancer survivor (lung and breast) and without Dr. Choi I am not sure I would be here today. His expert knowledge, care and caring ways put me back to normal. This cancer journey with Dr. Choi began 7 years ago and he still checks on me twice a year. I am forever grateful to him !!!
in Phoenix, AZ |
Most caring and thorough caregiver I have ever dealt with
in Sun City, AZ |
Just wanted to give Dr. Choi a thumbs up from me. He has been my doctor through two very different Breast Cancers. I tell him everytime I see him, that he and my surgeon saved my life,then he in turn will sayYou are awsome. I have to say, that makes me feel pretty good. From my very first appointment, through chemo and radiation, and now taking the five year cancer pill, he has explained everything from side effects to percentages for doing or not doing a certain treatment.THANKS Dr. Choi!
in Glendale AZ |
I was diagnosed with MDS, and I am so impressed with Dr. Choi and the wonderful caring staff at the Thunderbird clinic. Dr. Choi keeps close track of my treatments, changes them when necessary but what I like best is he sits and talks, explains, answers my questions and he's funny! I'd give more stars if I could, a great team!
in Peoria, AZ |
I was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma Dec. 2012 in advanced stage. Dr. Choi was instrumental in my treatment over the ensuing 3 years. He prescribed a schedule of radiation, chemo, and stem cell transplant. He arranged for treatment at Fred Hutchison Cancer Center in Seattle. He has continued monitoring my progress. I have found Dr. Choi to be a very kind and caring man that my wife and I feel fortunate to have had as our lead doctor on my treatment and recovery protocol.
in Phoenix, AZ |
Six years ago, I was diagnosed with 4th stage inoperable cancer and told me to go home for the inevitable. Then, I met Dr. Choi. His expertise, humanism, empathy, and encouragement, are the reason that I am with my family today. His sincerity as a person shows he puts the mental, spiritual, and physical well-being of his patient first in his endeavors. I believe that Dr. Choi can end each of his days knowing that he has given his best in the quality and quantity of care.
in Phoenix AZ |
My father was a patient of Dr Choi. He has been undergoing cancer care primarily of the bladder and discovered later of the liver. My dad saw Dr Choi for an update. Dr Choi told him coldly you have stage 4 cancer and have 3-6 months to live .... No compassion no alternates no heart. My dad said well I'll have to get a 2nd opinion. Dr Choi stared at him and asked why... My dad said so I can live. Dr Choi left... My dadhas since sought treatment at Mayo Hospital and is 9 months further along.
Have you seen Dr. James Choi, MD?
Are you Dr. Choi?

Visit Dr. Choi

Dr. Choi accepts 18 insurance carriers
  • AARP
    Aetna PPO
  • Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS)
    AHCCCS - AZ Health Care Cost Containment System
  • Arizona Medical Network
  • AZ Foundation Medical Care (AZFMC)
    AZ Foundation Medical Care (AZFMC) EPO