Orthopedic Surgery  |
Dr. James Bried, MD
Dr. James Bried is an orthopedic surgeon specializing in sports medicine and adult reconstructive surgery. He has been active in developing innovative techniques for minimally invasive surgery. Dr. Bried is an active member of the American Association of Orthopedic Surgeons and the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons. He has served as the president of the Western Orthopedic Association, San Diego Chapter. Dr. Bried is a member of the clinical faculty at UCSD and has been an instructor at the San Diego Shoulder Association. Dr. Bried has also been selected as one of America's Top Orthopedists. Dr. Bried graduated with honors at the University of Arizona with a Bachelor of Science in Biology as well as his Medical Doctorate. He completed internship and residency in orthopedics at the University Medical Center in Tucson. Dr. Bried lives in Poway with his wife and has four children. He has been involved in coaching youth baseball and softball as well as a team physician to local high schools. He enjoys running, tennis, golf and skiing.

Pomerado Medical Center

• Group Health Cooperative
  • HealthPartners

Learn about Dr. Bried

Dr. Bried's Experience

Dr. Bried's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

• Clavicle Fracture
  • Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • Dupuytren's Contracture
  • Elbow Bursitis
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Femur Fracture
  • Foot Fracture
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Ganglion Cyst
  • Internal Derangement of Knee
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Fracture
  • Knee Sprain
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) Sprain
  • Morton's Neuroma
  • Muscular Dystrophy (MD)
  • Neck Strain (incl. Whiplash Injury)
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Non-Unions and Malunions of Fractures

• Revision of Shoulder or Elbow Replacement
  • Rotator Cuff Surgery
  • Trigger Finger Release
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate

No malpractice history found for California.

• University Of Arizona
  • Universtiy Arizona Tuscon
    Internship Hospital | Completed
  • U Ariz
  • Universtiy Arizona Tuscon

Dr. Bried has no media or publications listed.

• California Orthopaedic Association, Member

Dr. Bried's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Bried to family and friends
Dr. Bried's Performance
in Vista, CA |
I recently had a total knee replacement performed by Dr. James Bried. Throughout the entire process he listened to any concerns I had and answered all my questions making me feel as if we were partners in my health and well-being. His calm confidence as well as the years of experience he has helped relieve my initial anxiety about the surgery. His office is friendly and well-staffed. If I need to get the other knee done, I hope it is before he retires. John Beers
Escondido, CA |
Dr. Bried may have been able to help others, but after he did a total knee that did not have the desired results, he did a second surgery which he felt would correct the problem. Pain is now worse than before and other specialists have told me I will just have to live with the results....very discouraging.
in San Diego, CA |
I have been treated by Dr. Bried for 2 total shoulder replacements and 1 knee with severe ligament and meniscus damage. Both my shoulders are 99% back to full usage and my knee is doing with minor surgery and exercise. His office team has always been kind and considerate and go out of their way to make sure you are treated well. They are on time and have the procedures down to a science. I would highly recommend Dr. Bried.
in Oceanside, CA |
On June 20, 2017, I went in for a total left hip replacement and I couldn’t have been more pleased with my selection and the overall outcome of my surgery! Dr. Bried and his team did an amazing job! I'm now home recovering and am thrilled to say all is going well. I can't wait to get back on a spin bike, go hiking, and enjoy life again. I would highly recommend Dr. Bried for anyone needing to go through joint replacement surgery.
in Escondido, CA |
?? Dr. Bried and his staff.....just the best!
in San Marcos, CA |
Six weeks ago Dr. Bried was my surgeon, total knee replacement. He performed the surgery with skill. I also was particularly impressed with his office team. From the moment I met his gal Margie who scheduled me with caring and Crystal who talked and reassured me on the phone I knew these folks were a unified team. A skilled compassionate surgeon, with a great team. Now walking without a limp, riding my stationary bike and my physical therapist says numbers are rapidly improving.Recommended
in Ramona, CA |
I am 70 yrs old and have been to a lot drs in my life , Dr Bried the best, not only a great dr but a very gifted surgeon. He has done four joint replacements on me, I would not think of going to anyone else. He has streamlined the process so that it is so much less invasive than it used to be, healing time is much less. If you need an orthopedic surgeon, do your self a favor go see Dr Bried , he's the best!!!!!!!! His office runs like a well oiled machine
in Murrieta, CA |
Excellent surgeon and explains all options and procedures.
Murrieta, CA |
Dr. Bried is excellent. My husband had right total knee replacement 2 1/2 weeks ago and is healing amazingly well. He has had very little pain and was riding a stationary bike at 1 1/2 weeks. He is scheduled for his left knee in July, and we would not go to any other doctor to have it done. We highly recommend Dr. Bried.
in Carlsbad, CA |
Dr. Bried is an outstanding orthopedic surgeon. I am an athletic 60 year old diabetic and my full hip replacement is progressing on target so I can golf, exercise, swim and travel in short order. Dr. Bried is personable, extremely skilled and efficient. We reviewed all options and jointly decided on best course of action. I went into surgery feeling calm, knowing Dr Bried was in charge with a customized plan for my situation. Yes, he is the best of the best!
in Ramona, CA |
After several office visits for cortisone injections in my knee Dr. Bried recommended a partial knee replacement. The surgery was done on Friday, Feb. 3rd at Poway, Ca, surgery center and took less than an hour for the procedure. I was in at noon and out by 5pm. It has been just two weeks since I had the surgery and because of Dr. Bried's excellent work my recovery has been fantastic. Dr. Bried is an excellent orthopedic surgeon and is highly recommended.
in Poway, CA |
Dr. Bried operated on my shoulder and the outcome was fantastic. I experienced very little pain - only needed to take 1 hydroco/acetam the second night for sleep. The post op office visit was equally satisfying as Dr. Bried took time to review what he found during the procedure and explained how he was able to address the issue.
in fallbrook, CA |
Exceptional surgeon. A total shoulder replacement in Jan. '16. ZERO pain from date of surgery forward, and golfing within 3.5 months. Total knee replacement 3 weeks ago and able to walk and function the day after surgery. Played my 1st 9 holes 17 days later. More discomfort with the knee, but walking on it with full body weight immediately. He is a caring, personable physician with a friendly support staff in an unbelievably efficient office. No better orthopedic surgeon.
in San Diego, CA |
Dr. Bried has been our orthopedic surgeon for 10 years. He has repaired our shoulders and my hip with excellent results. If it is at all possible, he will recommend other courses of action (physical therapy, exercise) before opting for surgery. He has his own surgery facility, which minimizes the risk of infection. We recommend him without reservations.
in San Diego CA 92127 |
Everything he said would happen came true. Greatest Doctor I ever had, service in Office and hospital were all phenomenal.
in Warner Springs , Ca |
My father had a total hip replacement on August 30 , 2016. 6 hours post operative my father was walking with physical therapy :) he is 2 weeks post op and is continuing to excel in his daily therapy. Dr Brief along with his excellent staff took tremendous care of my father. I highly recommend Dr. Brief to anyone out there needing a hip replacement.
in Chula Vista, CA |
Excellent doctor who first see your point of view of your problem and always provide alternatives for the solution.
in Temecula, CA |
Thank you for sharing your experiences! I had total right knee replacement 8/2, was back home and walking unassisted 8/3, back to driving by 8/17 and performed a 3-hour concert with my band on 8/20. AMAZING. I'm still in physical therapy to regain my range of motion, but I can already straighten my knee totally and can bend it enough to walk up the stairs one foot after the other without too much pain from the surgery. The joint pain is GONE. I'm having the left knee done 10/25. Thrilled!!
in Poway, CA |
Went to Dr. Bried to get a second opinion. He was great. He figured out what was wrong and corrected it. The other doctor told me pain was my new reality. Office waits are a little long but that is because he actually takes the time to diagnose and answer questions. Can't say enough good things about him.
in San Diego |
I received a total right knee replacement on 29 March 2016. Dr. Bried and staff are the most professional team I have ever encountered. Less then two weeks out of surgery, my family friends & PT staff are amazed at my progress... I would enthusiastically & highly recommend Dr. Bried to any and all who would require his professional ability, excellent care & expertise.
in Vista ca |
He has done two full knee replacements and both were a total success! He is a caring doctor with a lot of experience! He exhausts all avenues before suggesting surgery. I trust him and would recommend him to any family member.
in Carlsbad, CA |
I have had two total hip replacements in the past six months, both performed by Dr. Bried. He is a talented surgeon, respected by those in the medical profession and he made me feel safe and secure before, during and after my surgeries.
Exceptional experience with Dr Bried. He is not too quick to recommend surgery but when required he is thorough in his explanation and superior quility patient care. I prefer his direct and factual presentation of the options.
Carlsbad, CA |
I had Total Knee Replacement with Dr. Bried and the most important part is the outcome. It was awesome. I have no pain and my knee feels better than it has for at least 10 or more years.
in San Diego, CA |
Dr. Bried performed a full left hip replacement for me on 12/30/15. the surgery began at about 9:30 am and I was up and walking-cautiously- with a physical trainer by 3:30 pm. I was home having lunch with my wife at noon the next day, 27 hours after the operation began. From the initial appointment with Dr. Bried, thru the 2 hour preparation class with several different nurses and staff, and with the pre-op staff and post-op staff, everyone was very professional, knowledgeable and pleasant.
in Ramona, CA |
Dan from Ramona. I had full knee replacement surgery on November 30, 2015. I want to thank Dr. Bried for how quickly I was able to respond in riding my mountain bike, right after surgery.
First of all I waited for an hour and a half to be seen. I have a finger that needs surgery and this doctor said it was fine. He took off my splint and told me to buddy tape the fingers together and start moving my broken finger. Note, my finger is not aligned correctly and I will need a pin to hold it in the correct place. He did not look at me once when I was talking to him and gave me incorrect information which made my finger worse. The total time he spend in my room did not exceed 5 min.
in Ramona, ca. |
I would like to thank Dr. Bried and his staff for the great care I received during my knee replacement surgery; I am most grateful to be able and participate in sports activities again. It is like starting a new, painfree life ! Thank you Dr. Bried, Bea Hoskins
in Poway, CA |
I had shoulder surgery from Dr. Bried and it was the easiest, best surgery ever! He explained everything that I should expect and was willing to answer all my questions. My recovery was exactly as I was told, with no complications. Great experience!!
Have you seen Dr. James Bried, MD?
Are you Dr. Bried?

Basic PPO
  • CoreSource
  • Group Health Cooperative
  • HealthPartners
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
  • National Elevator