Dr. Jamal Fawaz, MD

Addiction PsychiatryMaleAge 59

Dr. Fawaz
Telehealth services available
13215 Brook Ln Dr Hagerstown, MD 21742

Dr. Jamal Fawaz, MD is a Addiction Psychiatry Specialist in Hagerstown, MD and has over 32 years of experience in the medical field. He graduated from Spartan Health Sciences University, School Of Medicine medical school in 1989. He has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Fawaz to book an appointment.

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Addiction Psychiatry Specialists in your area

• Friendly Staff
    Patients said the staff was friendly. See reviews
  • Offers Telehealth
  • Low Wait Times
    Patients are usually seen in 10 minutes or less.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice claims information for Maryland

Check if Dr. Fawaz treats your condition or procedure

Dr. Fawaz's conditions and procedures:

• Binge Eating Disorder
  • Family Psychotherapy
  • Psychiatric Evaluation

Dr. Fawaz accepts

Dr. Fawaz accepts the following insurance:

Select

Dr. Fawaz's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Fawaz

3.5

Dr. Fawaz?
  • Office environment (17)
  • Wait times (17)
  • Staff friendliness (16)
  • Didn't listen or answer questions (6)
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions (6)
  • Didn't explain conditions well (5)
I saw Dr. Jamal Fawaz from 2018-2021. During my time, I was only prescribed about.. maybe a half dozen different medications. Some didn’t work, others I couldn’t afford. My diagnoses are Bipolar 2, PTSD, and OCD. At the time of my departure, I was on Effexor XR and Buspar. When asking for something to help with my hypomania, for example Lamictal, he proceeded to ask me if I partook in the usage of recreational drugs or substances. I mentioned that I occasionally smoke marijuana, but it wasn’t a daily habit that affected my life. Dr. Jamal Fawaz proceeded to compare me to somebody who uses highly addictive substances daily, such as heroin, cocaine, meth, and highly addictive narcotics. He refused to give me any new type of medication after that, saying he “wouldn’t treat someone who was trying to make themselves psychotic.” Overall, wouldn’t recommend if you’re a marijuana user, medical card or not, as he does not believe in it and called the THC Industry a “money machine.”
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
  • Staff wasn't friendly
  • Long wait times
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Mar 23, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jamal Fawaz, MD?
First visit, he was very talkative and open, and diagnosed my ADHD/GAD/MDD and considering how my last psychiatrist absolutely f*cked me over, I felt like he cleared the expectations bar. However, since that first visit, he has been very set in his approach of "take care of the anxiety first and only when it's 100% stable", which could take months, then to treat my debilitating ADHD. He quoted quite a few unlikely and very extreme side effects to taking stimulants with anxiety (ex. heart attacks), and when I mentioned that I was drinking unusual amounts of coffee to manage my ADHD (4-6Sbux shots a day), he was even more unmoving and unwilling to try a different approach. He is very minimalist about ADHD treatment (to the point of no treatment) and considers ADHD a gift and something that makes those with it unique, and ignores how debilitating it is.
Jul 09, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jamal Fawaz, MD?
I've severe anxiety & bi-polar disorder. I take clonazepam and have for decades. Dr. Fawaz is absolutely obsessed that I need to stop clonazepam. He called my (relatively small 1.5 mg / day dose) "3 6-packs of beer per day". When I described what was going on in my life, he looked surprised and said, and I quote "That's anxiety". I said "So, even on what you describe as 3 6 packs of beer a day I still have anxiety." He raised his voice at me and asked me to find another doctor. I did.
Jan 09, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jamal Fawaz, MD?
I love this man. He listens, comments, gives advise. I feel like a million dollars when I leave his office. I have recommended him to friends with children. The kids were not afraid and answered openly. Best of luck to you dr fawaz
Mar 22, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jamal Fawaz, MD?
He doesn't listen. He rushes you. Doesn't give eye contact.
Lucy in Hagerstown, MD – Sep 16, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jamal Fawaz, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Fawaz?

• Addiction Psychiatry