Dr. J Mocco, MD

NeurosurgeryMaleAge 47

Telehealth services available

New Patient

Current Patient

Dr. J Mocco, MD is a Neurosurgery Specialist in New York, NY and has over 21 years of experience in the medical field. Dr. Mocco has more experience with Neurocritical Care Disorders and Pediatric Neurosurgery than other specialists in his area. He graduated from Columbia University College Of Physicians And Surgeons medical school in 2000. He is affiliated with medical facilities such as Mount Sinai Hospital and Mount Sinai Beth Israel. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Mocco to book an appointment.

Mount Sinai Hospital

New Patient?
Mount Sinai Hospital1450 Madison Ave New York, NY 10029

The Mount Sinai Hospital

New Patient?
Klingenstein Clinical Center, 1-North1450 Madison Ave New York, NY 10029

Hospital Highlight

Dr. Mocco is affiliated with Mount Sinai Morningside New York, a highly rated hospital.

• Practices at Top Hospital America's 250 Best Hospitals Award™ See hospitals

Dr. Mocco's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Mocco

4.5

Dr. Mocco
Dr. Mocco is amazing! From top to bottom the appointments were so thorough! He and his staff explained everything perfectly. The day of the surgery went so smoothly. I felt safe and I knew I was in the right hands! I am glad to be under his care!
Maria Bocci Velella – Jul 24, 2021
DR. MOCCO diagnosed me with a Dissected Carotid Artery at the base of my skull. after placing a stent in the artery it's fully open and healed and I can get back to my life. I cant Thank Him and his staff enough for taking care of me and I Highly Recommend Him
R Brennan – Dec 16, 2020
Dr. J. Mocco has the Hands of God and you can rest assured in his care. He operated on my wife following a severe hemorrhage from an AVM, a particularly uncommon form of stroke, and cured her ‘angry brain’. My sincere gratitude goes out to him for giving her the best outcome one could hope for, and she is well on her way to full recovery. Dr. Mocco is an extraordinary doctor and professor of neurological surgery who leads a crack team of neurosurgeons at Mt. Sinai, a teaching hospital. From the moment we first met, his engaging manner and down to earth wisdom gave me full confidence in his abilities and helped make difficult decisions much easier. Alongside him is a hospital team of top class professionals, from post-op intensive care to inpatient & outpatient rehab, and I can’t thank them all enough for giving my wife her life back. Special thanks also goes to Dr. Christopher Kellner for his supporting role in the OR.
C. Divall, New York – Dec 10, 2020
I had a cavernoma in my left temporal lobe, near the sylvian fissure. It was discovered incidentally in 2017, so Dr. Mocco had me get an MRI every year. In August 2020, it finally became symptomatic and I had a seizure. I saw Dr. Mocco, he explained things well, referred me to a neurologist, and gave me a functional MRI. After the fMRI showed that the brain surrounding the cavernoma was ineloquent, he recommended that I have the surgery soon. The fewer seizures you have with a cavernoma, the higher the probability of the success of the surgery. In October 2020, I came in for the surgery and it went smoothly. I returned home two days later! Dr. Mocco and his staff went above and beyond in my family and I well. They were excellent communicators and I had a wonderful stay at Mount Sinai.
Rodrigo – Oct 30, 2020
Had a Dr in NJ say that I had the MF of Aneurysms - He said that he was unqualified to treat and the only one I should see was Dr. Mocco. I didn't listen and went to another DR who didn't even return my call after procedure when I developed a severe headache. Well, after having to have another procedure I went to Dr Mocco. He personally called me the morning of and asked if I was ready and felt ok, or nervous and made sure I was mentally ready. Yes a Surgeon with a bedside manner. At the follow up visit you could see he was more excited than I was to hear how well everything looked. Year later co-worker falls in middle of NYC with what sounds like a stroke - I insist that they take him to Mt. Sinai and see no one but Dr. Mocco, he was out yes his excellent team saved my coworkers life after a brain bleed. Co-worker also states they contact him all the time just to make sure he is feeling ok. Dr. Mocco is one of the finest physicians, and also one of the best humans I ever met
Elene Costan – Jun 01, 2020
He is great Goes well beyond the call of duty Absolutely brilliant doc Extremely thorough and made a real difference. He would always be my first choice
Eli Salzman – May 29, 2020
After 5 years of going to different doctors for having all kinds of symptoms, neck pain, pain on the back of my head, constant pressure in my head and neck, facial pain and swelling, painful eye, difficulty breathing among other symptoms, I was blessed to be referred to Dr. J. Mocco because he was the only doctor who diagnosed me with having Chiari Malformation, a rare medical condition. After ordering a few diagnostic tests and making sure that surgery was my only option, he preformed a Chiari Malformation Decompression with excellent results. Dr. Mocco is a caring, patient oriented, kind, brilliant doctor who explained to me everything about this condition in a simple language that anyone can understand.Even though, Dr. Mocco highly respected neurosurgeon in NYC and around the country, he is a humble person. For these and many other reasons I am so grateful that God put him in my path. I will recommend him with neurological problems. E. Estevez-Suero
E. Estevez-Suero in NYC, NY – Jul 02, 2019
I Thank God for His divine intervention in leading me to Dr. Mocco! I truly believe that he is one of God’s angels here on earth. I was diagnosed with an internal carotid artery brain aneurysm in 2017. From our very first meeting on through all of the tests, procedures, and surgery, his willingness to spend time answering any and all questions went above & beyond anything I could have expected. His meticulous planning and execution of the complex craniotomy and clipping of my aneurysm went flawlessly. It will be 2 years in August since my surgery and I have been blessed with undetectable scars and no residual side effects. When we first met Dr. Mocco, we were surprised that such a young man could be the Chief of Neurosurgery at Mount Sinai, but now understand why he was selected for this prestigious position. It is a rarity to find exceptional skills, compassion, and humility in one package, but with Dr. Mocco this is exactly what you will experience! Mary Driscoll
May 28, 2019
I had surgery at Mt.Sinai on my brain, it was a 6 hour surgery and he was very kind and helpful. He explained everything well to me even with language barrier so he had a translator come and when I was nervous and frightened he was there to comfort and reassure me. Always very polite and he helped me get better. Highly recommended doctor. He is only there one day at the clinic and he can get busy but he is well worth it.
Junzi Chen in Brooklyn, NY – Sep 27, 2018
Very knowledgeable and caring. Explains things well and do not feel rushed.
jeff – Jun 22, 2018
Dr. Mocco has been one of THE best doctors I've ever met. Him and his team took such great care of me and did an amazing job with my surgery. From our initial meeting to my post opp follow- up, he always put me at ease, provided all the information I wanted, listened attentively, and made sure I left feeling comfortable and not scared of anything. His work is truly fabulous.
N. Patel in , NY – May 24, 2018
Dr. MOCCO is amazing. From the time you meet him he puts you right at ease. He takes the time to discuss the diagnosis and the treatment and takes the worry away. That along with his knowledge and skill makes me one grateful patient that he was on my team.
Erin Sullivan in Congers, NY – Apr 06, 2017
Mocco is an obviously very talented neurosurgeon who dedicates much care to the patient. When our mother suffered a brain aneurysm, Mocco helped oversee her coiling procedure & got her back on her feet within a month. This January, she returned for a clipping procedure which he personally performed- It's been a month & she's been doing very well, never complaining about headaches/impairments. Very satisfied in our experience with him. TY from the bottom of our hearts! You have saved her life!
Lily Lien-Chung in Elmhurst, NY – Apr 04, 2017
Dr. J Mocco is an obviously very talented and distinguished neurosurgeon but what his many credentials don't show is the tremendous amount of individual care and devotion he shows the patient. When our mother suffered a sudden brain aneurysm last April, she was fortunate to be placed under Dr. Mocco's care- He oversaw her coiling procedure and helped her get back on her feet within a month. This January, she returned for a clipping procedure, which he personally performed. It has been roughly a
Lily Lien Chung in New York, NY – Mar 12, 2017

How was your experience with Dr. Mocco?

No malpractice claims found for New York

Frequently Treated by Dr. Mocco

Based on treatment records, we have identified the following as areas of care that Dr. Mocco treats more often than their peers. If you are unsure whether Dr. Mocco treats other conditions, please contact the office at (212) 241-6500.

Neurocritical Care Disorders

Neurocritical care specialists diagnose and treat severe and life-threatening neurological conditions such as stroke, spinal cord injury, brain tumor, and traumatic brain injuryCompare with other Neurocritical Care Disorders specialists.

Dr. Mocco is experienced in the area of Neurocritical Care Disorders. See the graph below to learn more about his experience.

Based on claims data for 16 conditions and procedures

Normal
High
Very High

Pediatric Neurosurgery

Pediatric neurosurgeons perform surgical procedures to treat diseases and conditions of the brain and spinal cord in children and teenagers under age 18.Compare with other Pediatric Neurosurgery specialists.

Dr. Mocco is experienced in the area of Pediatric Neurosurgery. See the graph below to learn more about his experience.

Based on claims data for 6 conditions and procedures

Check Dr. Mocco's experience treating your condition or procedure

Dr. Mocco's conditions and procedures:

• Acoustic Neuroma
  • Aneurysm
  • Arteriovenous Malformation (AVM)
  • Arteriovenous Malformation (AVM) Brain
  • Carotid Endarterectomy (CEA) or Excision of Infected Graft
  • Cerebral Artery Thrombosis
  • Cerebral Hemorrhage
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) Shunt - Insertion, Repair or Removal
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cerebrovascular Disease
  • Hydrocephalus
  • Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension
  • Intracranial Arteriovenous Malformation (AVM) Repair
  • Intracranial Vessel Angioplasty and Stenting
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Meningiomas
  • Nerve Block, Somatic
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Neuroplasty
  • Thoracic Spine Myelopathy
  • Traumatic Brain Injury
  • Vascular Transcatheter Embolization

Dr. Mocco accepts

Dr. Mocco accepts the following insurance:

Harvard Pilgrim Health Care