Dr. Isaac Karikari, MD

NeurosurgeryMaleAge 42

2301 Erwin Rd Durham, NC 27705

Dr. Isaac Karikari, MD is a Neurosurgery Specialist in Durham, NC and has over 16 years of experience in the medical field. Dr. Karikari has more experience with Spine Disorders & Surgical Procedures than other specialists in his area. He graduated from Duke University medical school in 2006. He is affiliated with medical facilities such as Duke Health Raleigh Hospital and Duke Regional Hospital. He is accepting new patients. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Karikari to book an appointment.

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Neurosurgery Specialists in your area

Hospital Highlight

Affiliated with Duke University Hospital Durham, a highly rated hospital.

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Practices at Top Hospital
    Outstanding Patient Experience Award™ See hospitals
  • Hospital Satisfaction

No malpractice claims found for North Carolina

Frequently Treated by Dr. Karikari

Based on treatment records, we have identified the following as areas of care that Dr. Karikari treats more often than their peers. If you are unsure whether Dr. Karikari treats other conditions, please contact the office at (888) 275-3853.

Spine Disorders & Surgical Procedures

Spine specialists diagnose and treat conditions affecting the bones of the spine, including degenerative spine disease, herniated discs, stenosis, and fractured vertebrae, with treatments including medication, physical therapy, and surgery.Compare with other Spine Disorders & Surgical Procedures specialists.

Dr. Karikari is experienced in the area of Spine Disorders & Surgical Procedures. See the graph below to learn more about his experience.

Based on claims data for 57 conditions and procedures

Treatments
Similar Providers
Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
Chronic Neck Pain

• Brain Aneurysm
  • Brain Surgery
  • Broken Neck
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) Shunt - Insertion, Repair or Removal
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cerebrovascular Disease
  • Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
  • Dural Tear
  • Epidural Block, Facet Blocks
  • Epilepsy
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Gout
  • Hand Fracture
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Hydrocephalus
  • Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Kyphoplasty, Percutaneous
  • Kyphosis
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Laminoforaminotomy
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Lupus
  • Meningiomas
  • Minimally Invasive Surgery
  • Muscular Dystrophy (MD)
  • Musculoskeletal Function Test
  • Traumatic Brain Injury
  • Upper Back Pain
  • Vascular Transcatheter Embolization

Dr. Karikari accepts

Dr. Karikari accepts the following insurance:

Ambetter
Superior Health Plan
National (BlueCard) PPO
HealthyBlue 2.0
HealthyBlue Advantage
Commercial Insurance Company
Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
GEHA
Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)

Dr. Karikari's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Karikari

Dr. Karikari

Dr Karikari was my savior when I was in great pain. After three months of taking all other non surgical options of treatment for my pain which I describe as more than 10 of pain score, I finally decided to try my luck with him. He is an honest surgeon and will tell you whether or not you needed surgery. After three months of sleeping with ice over my leg despite all the treatments(epidural injections, oral steroids, nerve pain pills, muscle relaxants, acupuncture, and chiropractor) which gave no relief, I finally gave up and asked his opinion about my condition(over the phone). After my MRI, he called me right away to tell me the result. I asked him what is the best option for treatment and he said that surgery is the only option to that I will be relieved with the pain. Everything went smooth after that. He did everything virtual due to the pandemic and I got my surgery in two weeks. Hands down, he is an excellent surgeon indeed! My leg pain went away immediately after I woke up!
Evelyn C. – Apr 24, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Isaac Karikari, MD?
I went to Dr. Karikari to have a second opinion for spine surgery, we talked about my condition, pain, and expectations. He wanted to understand my personal goals and what expectations I had for the outcome of the surgery. His professionalism and confidence reassured me that I was in good hands. After my visit with him, I was convinced he was the person to perform my surgery. When I woke up from surgery, Dr. Karikari was there to talk with my directly about my surgery and to deliver great news of success. I have never had surgery and woke up to the surgeon being right there beside me. That tells you a great deal about how much he cares for his patients and his work ethic! I couldn't be more pleased with the results of my fusion. ALL pain is gone! I'm am recovering quite well and have him and his team to thank. If you are looking for a surgeon that cares about you and results, he is the right person.
PMR – Dec 15, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Isaac Karikari, MD?
I recently had an L3-L5 laminectomy at Duke, performed by Dr Karikari. I could not be more pleased with both the experience & outcome. He was excellent at explaining the cause of my symptoms, reviewing my MRI images in a way I could understand what I was looking at, and clarifying what outcomes I could expect and the potential risks (without either over- or underselling). His staff provided excellent teaching materials to assist in preparing for surgery. My surgery went very smoothly and, despite the expected surgical site pain, my other symptoms (pain, numbness extending into my hips and legs) were immediately resolved. The surgical team at Duke, including nurses, advanced practice providers, PT/OT, anesthesia, worked well together and made for an optimal surgical experience. As someone with a healthcare background (retired), who sought out Dr. Karikari as a second opinion after dissatisfaction with my first consultation, I would highly recommend Dr. Karikari for spine surgery.
Kerry Harwood – Feb 20, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Isaac Karikari, MD?
To describe Dr. Karikari as a great physician is an understatement. He is fantastic and extremely gifted. His level of skill is only exceeded by his caring attitude and humble spirit. He is the type of physician that patients pray for. I will recommend him to everyone in need of his help.
Al Davis – Nov 01, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Isaac Karikari, MD?
Dr. Karikari is an outstanding and brilliant doctor. Dr. Karikari performed a laminectomy and spinal fusion on my back. He explained in depth what the surgery encompassed. He was very kind and had so much patience in answering all my questions. He did an excellent job on my spine. I am recuperating so well and quickly. I am grateful for his excellent staff, particularly Teresa Clayton.Dr. Karikari is an outstanding doctor. I am so grateful to him.
Sandra Bookman – Oct 06, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Isaac Karikari, MD?
Dr Karikari and his staff are very professional. Dr Karikari is a very personable doctor who genuinely cares for the patient and wants the best outcome for the patient. He answers all questions and explains the procedure step by step. I had surgery in February 2019 and have waited till now to be sure the pain is still gone, and it is. I have TOTAL confidence and respect for Dr.Karikari, he is caring ,compassionate and VERY knowledgeable. Thank you, Dr Karikari and your staff, for being such a blessing to me and may God bless you in your work. Marvin Ferguson, Jefferson North Carolina
Marvin Ferguson – Aug 28, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Isaac Karikari, MD?
I came across Neurosurgeon, Dr. Isaac Karikari's profile video after deciding to get a second opinion on my recurrent back problems.  After my very first meeting with him, I was sure I was in the right place.       My biggest apprehension for another surgery was the potential for post-operative infection. After my second back surgery with my previous surgeon, I developed surgical site infection which was a horrifying experience.     Dr. Karikari was compassionate, understood my anxiety, and was proactive in making sure there was no recurrence of surgical site infection.     It's been six weeks since my surgery with Dr. Karikari. He performed Ext of fusion L2/3, L3, 4, TLIF.  Today I can honestly say that I haven't felt this well in years.      Dr. Isaac Karikari has truly been God-sent and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him to anyone. He's an asset to Duke University Medical Center and I'm blessed that his gifted hands restored my life. Thank you, Dr. Karikari.
Elvira Thomas – Aug 08, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Isaac Karikari, MD?
Dr.Karikari was a miracle worker ! He told us what to expect and ever thing he told us came to be. 7.5 hour surgery, 7 days at Duke,3 weeks in rehab, home now. NO PAIN!!!!! Would recommend him to anyone.
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
Aurelia W. Latham – Jul 01, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Isaac Karikari, MD?
I have a great respect for Dr. Karikari. I HIGHLY recommend him! I researched many surgeons concerning my scoliosis correction. Dr. Karikari took his time with me at my appointment. I was able to express my thoughts and concerns. I wanted to hear what he had to say concerning my condition (idiopathic scoliosis). He shared his expertise. I wouldn't trust just any doctor to do this type of spinal surgery. Dr. K has an outstanding reputation and I can see why. He is professional, kind, so knowledgable. He said he needed to be able to go to sleep after a surgery; so he will take in consideration a hope... ultimately, he will do what he knows (and he does know) what should be done. My experience with Duke Hospital was excellent! I enjoyed meeting the other doctors that worked with Karikari in the surgery room. My recovery has been textbook perfect. My S curve decreased more than I could have hoped. Thank you Dr. Karikari for your care and your gift! I'm so thankful!
  • Long wait times
Amy in Asheville , NC – Jun 21, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Isaac Karikari, MD?
I highly recommend Dr. Karikari. After doing extensive research on neurosurgeons in North Carolina I decided to choose Dr. Karikari to do a long and detailed procedure on my spine. His communication prior to, and after, the surgery was thorough. I have confidence in the professionals he surrounds himself with. I also received replies to any questions or concerns, both before and after surgery, within 36 hours. The results of my surgery are beyond what I had anticipated. He is a gifted surgeon and I would return to him if needing further neurological surgery in the future.
Asheville, NC – Jun 13, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Isaac Karikari, MD?
Dr Karikari explained my surgery questions in great detail. Surgery went well . Would recommend Dr Karikari for all spinal surgeries...
Robert Bramble in Springfield, OH – Mar 01, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Isaac Karikari, MD?
Dr. Karikari did an amazing job through the process of making a decision as to whether to have surgery, through the surgery and recovery and follow up appointments. He explains things well, is compassionate, and the surgery was very successful. If I have future issues, I plan to return to him and have already recommended him to a friend. Excellent surgeon!
Raleigh, NC – Jan 14, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Isaac Karikari, MD?
I am two years out from my extensive spinal surgery to repair deteriorated disks and correct scoliosis that was detected 40 yrs. ago. I am so glad I chose Dr. Karikari to do the surgery. He tells it like it is and let’s you know how important your roll is in the recovery process. His team is very helpful and kind.
Roz in Cary, NC – Dec 05, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Isaac Karikari, MD?
I highly recommend Dr Karikari for neurological care. My husband has had back surgery in Charleston and had some serious post op issues. He was losing feeling in both his legs and was having painful leg cramps. His original surgeon recommended two more surgical procedures equaling 10 hours in the OR. Dr Karikari was knowledgeable had a nice manner and was able to treat him with microsurgery which only took an hour and a half. My husband now has feeling in his legs and is able to get back to golf
Pawleys Island, TN – Oct 16, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Isaac Karikari, MD?
Dr. Karikari provides excellent care. Every question I ask, he answers with medical terms but also in a way that makes sense to an everyday person. He is very patient and has never made me feel rushed in an appointment. Before having spinal fusion every surgeon (including Dr. Karikari) told me they couldn't guarantee to take away my back pain due to scoliosis, but I am now at one year post op and have no pain whatsoever. I have already recommended him to a friend looking to have spinal fusion!
Hanna in Winston-Salem, NC – Oct 01, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Isaac Karikari, MD?
That video of him on Duke is very misleading. I visited him all the way from Connecticut and had no concern about my back injury, came into the appointment short and dismissive. It was my first appointment and it was literally 20 minutes, if that.
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
none – Aug 28, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Isaac Karikari, MD?
I am honored to recommend Dr. Karikari to anyone seeking care for a life altering spinal condition. Prior to the development of my debilitating diagnosis, I had lead an active life. For the first time in my life I experienced pain and fear that I could not overcome. In Dr. Karikari I found someone who genuinely cared. He took time to explain the possible outcomes and risks with my surgery. Today I am greatly improved. I am grateful for his display of talent and skill. He is a wonderful man.
Teresa Edwards in Mebane, NC – Jul 24, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Isaac Karikari, MD?
I would highly recommend Dr. Karikari to anyone seeking a neurosurgeon for a major deformity as I was. He did not hesitate to tell me that he could help me with my condition and in a very calm and reassuring manner.. I was put in immediate relief knowing I was going to be in his care facing the facts of the length and severity of the surgery that I already knew of from several other surgeons that could not or would not do what he did to help me Thank you Dr. Karikari.....for it all!
Cathy Mesimer in Jacksonville, Florida – Feb 27, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Isaac Karikari, MD?
I saw Dr. Karikari for failed spinal fusion, broken rods and severe degeneration of the thoracic spine.. Dr. Karikari was very informative with his plan for my surgery, very patient answering questions, but most of all he showed concern for me as a person.. Surgery was performed in Feb. 2017. Recovery was long and sometimes very difficult, but worth it. My pain level has gone from uncontrollable to around a 2 or 3, most days.. I highly recommend Dr. Karikari and his team.
Greenville,NC – Feb 19, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Isaac Karikari, MD?
Dr, Karikari Saved my life and Duke is the best hospital in the world. The fixed a huge problem with my rods sticking out my back. With in days Dr. Karikari fixed the problem and did it right. He is the best doctor and a super cool guy as well. This is the place that will do it right, and I would recommend Duke and Dr. Karikari hands down the best.
Paul in Wilmington – Jan 26, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Isaac Karikari, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Karikari?
Provider explaining information to patient