Dr. Irfan Handoo, MD

Dr. Handoo
Telehealth services available

Psychiatry Associates of Kansas City

8900 State Line Rd Ste 380 Leawood, KS 66206

Dr. Irfan Handoo, MD is a Psychiatry Specialist in Leawood, KS. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Handoo to book an appointment.

Compare Providers

Quickly compare more Psychiatry Specialists in your area

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Offers Telehealth
  • Trustworthy
    Patients said this doctor is trustworthy. See reviews

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice claims information for Kansas

Check Dr. Handoo's experience treating your condition or procedure

Dr. Handoo's Top Procedures and Conditions

Nondependent Antidepressant Abuse

Dr. Handoo treats Nondependent Antidepressant Abuse more than 91% of his peers

Dr. Handoo treats this condition more than 91% of his peers

Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS)
high
high

Dr. Handoo performs Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) more than 89% of his peers

Dr. Handoo performs this procedure more than 89% of his peers

Psychiatric Evaluation

Dr. Handoo performs Psychiatric Evaluation more than 73% of his peers

Dr. Handoo performs this procedure more than 73% of his peers

Dr. Handoo's conditions and procedures:

• ADHD and-or ADD
  • Adjustment Disorder
  • Alcohol-Induced Mental Disorders
  • Alcoholism (Alcohol Dependence)
  • Amphetamine and Other Psychostimulant Dependence
  • Nondependent Drug and Alcohol Abuse
  • Nondependent Hallucinogen Abuse
  • Nondependent Marijuana Abuse
  • Nondependent Opioid Abuse
  • Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
  • Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder (OCPD)
  • Opioid Dependence
  • Panic Disorder
  • Paranoid Personality Disorder
  • Personality Disorders
  • Phobia
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
  • Psychiatric Diseases
  • Psychiatric Evaluation
  • Psychiatric Medication Therapy
  • Psychogenic Disorders (incl. Psychogenic Pain)
  • Psychosis
  • Somatoform Disorders
  • Speech, Language and Learning Disorders
  • Suicidal Ideation
  • Tobacco Use Disorder
  • Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS)

Dr. Handoo accepts

Dr. Handoo accepts the following insurance:

Aetna POS
HealthyBlue Advantage
Cenpatico Behavioral Health
Comp Choice
Comp Results
Compassionate Care Network (CCN)
Compassionate Care Network (CCN) PPO

Dr. Handoo's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Handoo

87.61061946902655%

Dr. Handoo?
  • Explained conditions well (81)
  • Office environment (81)
  • Listened & answered questions (80)
  • Long wait times (15)
  • Didn't listen or answer questions (8)
  • Appointment was rushed (7)
Living with someone who has schizophrenia is jarring. My brother has it and it would hurt to see him so suffer so much. Before seeing Dr. Handoo, all the treatment routes we took turned out to be a failure. After starting treatment with Dr. Handoo, I am pretty relieved because he's doing a lot better. My family and I have been very happy with the results and now have a much better idea of how to help my brother.
John Langford – Nov 02, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Irfan Handoo, MD?
I have been battling depression for over the past 25 years since I was 15 years old. I recently moved to Kansas City from New York City, and had seen a myriad of psychiatrists and experts over the years in New York. No one could ever figure out the best treatment for me and my depression never went away. I found Dr. Handoo online when I moved to Kansas City and am grateful that I did. I found out online that he did a fellowship in psychopharmacology and it shows. Only 2 months after I started seeing Dr. Handoo, I have been completely depression free. My life has been worth living again, and it has been one of the best feelings in the world. Dr. Handoo has been far better than any psychiatrist I ever found before. He has changed my life, and I am very thankful that I found him.
Brenda – Oct 13, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Irfan Handoo, MD?
Dr. Handoo is always running at least an hour late despite only spending about 10 minutes with his patients, doesn't listen, and talks over me. I am naturally very thin but have no history of eating disorders and am not underweight. Dr. Handoo insists on taking my weight at every appointment and has threatened to withhold my medication, which I need to function, if I drop below a certain weight because the medication is moderately appetite suppressing. I have explained that the appetite suppression does not affect me much, to no avail. I also strongly suspect I have OCD, which has been aggravated by his fixation on my weight, but when I have tried to bring it up with him or ask if he could assess me for it he has dismissed me outright or completely ignored me. My sister is also a patient of his and he often tries to discuss how my sister is doing/her medications during my appointments. The medications he prescribes me are effective but he is otherwise not someone I would recommend.
Aug 13, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Irfan Handoo, MD?
Dr. Handoo is a miracle worker. Eating disorders are not taken very seriously. People seem to misjudge their severity more often than not. Even I was one of those people until I was plagued by anorexia. It was terrible. I would beat myself up if I ever ate, and I lost a lot of weight within weeks. Seeing me in pain, my sister took me to Dr. Handoo, and he helped me fight my urges. It’s been six months since I started my treatment, and I am proud to say that I am anorexia-free.
Rachel – Jul 14, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Irfan Handoo, MD?
I am a student, and I have acute anxiety. I have had it all my life, but I didn’t take it seriously for the longest time. But then it started to affect my functioning in college and personal life.  So we scoured the internet and found Dr. Handoo. I visited him and its been night and day since then. I don’t wake up during the night now, nor do I have frequent panic attacks over things such as presentations or meetings with my supervisor.   Seeing Dr. Handoo has made a big difference in my life.
Tina – May 18, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Irfan Handoo, MD?
I met Dr. Handoo during one of the most severe depressive episodes of my life. I wouldn’t stop crying, and I all could think about was how I was a burden to my family even though they had never suggested feeling that way. After seeking help from Dr. Handoo, I got so much better and this is the best I have been doing in years.
Shelley R – May 11, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Irfan Handoo, MD?
I have struggled with depression. I have had the most acute episodes of depression, which have even led me to hurt myself. I have cut myself many times due to my overpowering sadness and despair. But ever since I have started my treatment with Dr. Handoo, I have been feeling much better. I have stopped hurting myself, no matter how horrible I think. Now I don’t feel as despondent as I used to. Things seem to be getting better for me, and I am hopeful that I’ll overcome my depression entirely soon.
Jill – Mar 18, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Irfan Handoo, MD?
I had severe anxiety before getting treatment by Dr. Handoo. When I came to him six months ago, I was going through one of the worst episodes of anxiety I had ever had. I couldn’t sleep at night, and if I ever did manage to fall asleep, I would wake up in the middle of the night with ragged breathing, drenched in sweat. I had been to multiple psychiatrists and therapists in hopes of getting better, but nobody could help me until I met Dr. Handoo. He helped me identify the trigger behind my anxiety and showed me plenty of ways of controlling those triggers and coping with challenging circumstances. Dr. Handoo is an excellent doctor who has changed my life, and I am forever indebted to him for that.
mark – Mar 09, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Irfan Handoo, MD?
I had been struggling with depression since I was a teenager, and one of my friends recently told me about IV ketamine treatments she did with Dr. Handoo. I had heard from my own doctor and a few friends who did IV ketamine treatments that Dr. Handoo was the "ketamine doc" in Kansas City. Dr. Handoo explained everything in great detail at the time of our consult and explained his protocol. Ever since finishing ketamine treatments, it's been amazing to see the difference in my depression. My old self has finally come back. I am very thankful to Dr. Handoo, and only wish I had found out about him sooner.
Lauren – Feb 17, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Irfan Handoo, MD?
I was suffering from severe depression for many years and had tried every medication under the sun. Nothing was working. I researched TMS online and read about it and saw Dr. Handoo. I am very glad I did TMS. I feel like the fog I was in for so many years has finally lifted, and my depression is so much better since finishing TMS. Dr. Handoo and the TMS techs were amazing.
Dec 06, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Irfan Handoo, MD?
One of my friends told me about IV ketamine treatments for depression and told me to make an appointment with Dr. Handoo. I was scared at first about IV ketamine treatments, but Dr. Handoo explained everything to me and spent a lot of time discussing the procedure in detail. Since finishing IV ketamine treatments, I am finally free of the depression that consumed my life for so long, and am finally doing things that I enjoy. My energy and focus are so much better and IV ketamine treatments have given me a new life--the one I used to have many years ago. My PHQ9 score has dropped from 24 down to 1, and I never knew I could feel this way again. I highly recommend IV ketamine treatments to anyone who has tried medications and frustrated they are not getting any better.
Dec 04, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Irfan Handoo, MD?
My friend has been raving about Dr. Handoo for a while now, and after I was frustrated with my own psychiatrist, I decided to make an appointment to see him. I didn't know what to expect when I first visited him but with each session, I found myself opening up to him and have been slowly getting better. He has a great demeanor and sense of humor and has really taken time to get to know me as a person.
Nov 28, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Irfan Handoo, MD?
rude, rushed, dismissive, hypocritical, inappropriate, condescending, and arrogant
Nov 27, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Irfan Handoo, MD?
I have seen countless psychiatrists over the past 10 years, and have even traveled out of state to places on the East Coast and West Coast to get the care I needed. A few months ago, my primary care doctor strongly recommended I see Dr. Handoo and told me he didn't want me to see anyone else. I have been very grateful for his recommendation. After 3 months of seeing Dr. Handoo, my depression and anxiety are the best they have been in as long as I can remember, and Dr. Handoo already has me on fewer medications than I ever took before. He has been a godsend and am thankful I listened to my doctor who recommended him.
Brenda – Nov 19, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Irfan Handoo, MD?
Because of having to take medications to overcome my depression for the past 10 years, I had gained a lot of weight. This crushed my self-confidence and only made my depression worse. I needed a solution to get my depression better and not have to take medications causing me to keep gaining weight. TMS was it for me. I finished TMS several months ago and am doing so much better. Dr. Handoo has been able to taper me off almost all of my medications since then, and I have finally been successful in losing weight. TMS has given me another chance at life.
Brad M. – Nov 12, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Irfan Handoo, MD?
My eldest sister asked me to see Dr. Handoo after my car accident. I was dealing with a lot of anxiety after it. Dr. Handoo listened to me and talked me through it. Through medication and therapy, he has made a big difference. I no longer deal with anxiety and am glad I listened to my sister.
Laura – Nov 05, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Irfan Handoo, MD?
Dr. Handoo is one of the friendliest psychiatrists you will ever meet. He is down to earth also has a great sense of humor. He really makes you feel comfortable and at ease throughout the whole session. His staff have been great so far and been very helpful as well. If you need help, you should visit Dr. Handoo.
Kendra – Oct 30, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Irfan Handoo, MD?
I found out about Dr. Handoo through an internet search, and found his website when looking online. I checked out his website and made an appointment. At my first session, I found myself opening up to him quickly. I would suggest anyone dealing with an issue to go to him.
Brandy M. – Oct 22, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Irfan Handoo, MD?
Since I was 13 years old, I have been battling unsuccessfully with depression. Nothing seemed to work, and I had tried over 8 different medications over the years. I started to make peace with the fact that I would have to live with depression for the rest of my life. I heard about ketamine treatments and that Dr. Handoo was the expert in town on ketamine treatments. Since finishing ketamine treatments a few weeks ago, my whole life has changed. I never knew what it was like to be depression free. Dr. Handoo's expertise has been amazing, and I can't thank him enough.
Scarlett H. – Oct 15, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Irfan Handoo, MD?
You should never delay getting the help that you need to get back on your feet. After being severely depressed for one year, I went to Dr. Handoo at the insistence of my parents. Dr. Handoo really helped me to get out of my shell and back into the real world. I am very thankful for him.
Terry – Oct 02, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Irfan Handoo, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Handoo?

• Psychiatry