Dr. Ian Armstrong, MD

Neurosurgery •  Male • Age 61

Telehealth services available

Dr. Ian Armstrong, MD is a neurosurgery specialist in Bakersfield, CA. He specializes in neurosurgery.

California Institute of Neuroscience

New Patient?
California Institute of Neuroscience3008 Sillect Ave Ste 120 Bakersfield, CA 93308
California Institute of Neuroscience8501 Wilshire Blvd Ste 316 Beverly Hills, CA 90211
California Institute of Neuroscience2100 Lynn Rd Ste 120 Thousand Oaks, CA 91360

Dr. Armstrong's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Armstrong

4.3

Dr. Armstrong?
Dr. Armstrong's Performance
What People Say About Dr. Ian Armstrong, MD
rmstrong literally gave me my life back! My back problems were something that I dealt with every day and I didn't have the courage to seek help. Then in the Fall of last year I hit rock bottom. After a phone consultation and then an in-person appointment he was able to diagnose where my pain was coming from and a surgical course of action to correct it. Now, ten months later, I feel like I am fully recovered. Thank you Dr. Armstrong!
Louis K. in Gardena, CA – Oct 24, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ian Armstrong, MD?
I had radiating pain in my lower back that I lived with for almost 5 years. After being rear-ended in my car on the way home from work the pain was daily and my lifestyle changed. I talked with a friend that had consulted with Dr Armstrong and he had nothing but good things to say. When I met with Dr. Armstrong he explained what was causing my pain and scheduled a discogram and cat-scan and told me exactly what was causing the pain. It was a relief to finally know the extent of my injury. I d
Allan S. in West Hollywood, CA – Oct 15, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ian Armstrong, MD?
Thank you, Dr. Armstrong, for basically saving my life. I had pain in my low back for a while that I has come to live with knowing it would not go away. After being hit by a car while riding my bike the pain I was experiencing in daily life was almost too much to handle. I didn't want to get out of bed. I couldn't even sit up. My lifestyle changed, and I began to dislike just waking up in the morning. I did some homework and decided to see Dr. Armstrong to get some semblance of relief. He e
Charles in Burbank, CA – Sep 28, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ian Armstrong, MD?
I was in a car accident 2 years back and it has been a nightmare ever since. Dr. Armstrong and his team made coming in for a consult easy and explained each of the form and potential treatment options. They even worked with my insurance company to confirm the coverage was there which was a big relief. Dr. A is amazing and made me feel like I was his only patient.
Jose in Manhattan Beach, CA – Sep 21, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ian Armstrong, MD?
I originally aggravated my lower back playing basketball in college. For years I made excuses, but after I re-aggravated it in bike accident I knew it was time to see a physician. Three months later, I met Dr. Ian Armstrong and he prepared an accelerated treatment plan to that included surgery and rehabilitation. It was an arduous recovery process but I am not pain-free and have flexibility that I haven't had in 20 years. Thank you Dr. Armstrong and his incredible staff.
Todd S. in Sherman Oaks, CA – Sep 10, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ian Armstrong, MD?
The staff was really courteous and knowledgeable and they treated me like I was a regular long-time patient of theirs despite it being my first time in the office. I cannot say enough positive things about Dr. Armstrong. In addition to be a great doctor, he's a really kind and thoughtful person. He described the treatment plan and what he was going to do including the risks and expectant outcome. Couldn't be happier with my decision.
Jack Miller in Huntington Park, CA – Aug 26, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ian Armstrong, MD?
My back pain kind of snuck up on me as I got older and before I knew it my life was completely effected by the debilitating pain and discomfort. I suffered in silence rationalizing to myself that it was my bed or sitting too much, but after two plus years of pain I decided to do something about what was clearly an injury. Dr. Armstrong was a tremendous find and I am fortunate to have seen him. 6 months after surgery I'm healthy and active again and it is because of him.
Steven B. in Lakewood, CA – Aug 26, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ian Armstrong, MD?
I was referred to Dr. Armstrong by a trusted friend. And that referral and the care I received from Dr. Armstrong and his staff, particularly Gia, Dr. Armstrong's Surgical Coordinator Nurse, was nothing short of amazing! My surgery was a complete success---I am free of all of my nerve pain ---and I have Dr. Armstrong to thank for helping me get my health back! I highly recommend Dr. Armstrong!
Rick Kahdeman in Simi Valley, CA – May 15, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ian Armstrong, MD?
Dr. Armstrong and his assistant Gia have provided the best medical care. Gia advocated for me when I needed an urgent MRI and got is scheduled same day with results to Dr. Armstrong immediately after. Dr. Armstrong was able to give me a diagnosis quickly and provide a course of action quickly to alleviate the extreme pain I was in which turned out was a large herniated disc at L3/4 my own HMO Urgent Care didn't diagnose. I'm forever grateful for their excellent care.
Mara in Oxnard, CA – Apr 27, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ian Armstrong, MD?
Dr. Armstrong preformed my spinal surgery on February 2, 2018. That was a happy day ! I felt immediate relief after my surgery. I am in my 8th wk of recovery of C5C6,C6C7 spinal surgery. My neck, arm pain and headaches on my left side are gone. Dr. Armstrong listened to me explain my pain. When I finished he then replied by explaining my MRI and what is causing the pain and his recommendation of surgery. I was 100% all in... I am grateful and thankful that we have this amazing Dr. in CA.
Stacy Harrison in Bakersfield – Apr 04, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ian Armstrong, MD?
I'm a 55 year old female, I have worked all my adult life. In Oct. 2015 I was placed on disability due to neck pain, I had never encountered this before, I had neck pain pretty much forever but it would come and go, however this neck pain was not going away, it was getting worse. I was referred to Dr. Armstrong by my Chiropractor and I am so happy I was. We had to go through many doors (insurance), but I finally had a 3-fusion and am on the road to recovery.
Vicki in Bakersfield, CA – Mar 15, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ian Armstrong, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Armstrong?

Dr. Armstrong accepts most major insurance plans.

Dr. Armstrong has indicated that he accepts most major insurance carriers

(310) 557-0741Find providers who accept this insurance

No malpractice claims found for California

Check Dr. Armstrong's experience treating your condition or procedure

Dr. Armstrong's Top Procedures and Conditions

Low Back Pain

Dr. Armstrong treats Low Back Pain more than 95% of his peers

Dr. Armstrong treats this condition more than 95% of his peers

Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement)

Dr. Armstrong treats Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement) more than 82% of his peers

Dr. Armstrong treats this condition more than 82% of his peers

Rating Includes other areas of care:

• Brachial Neuritis

• Degenerative Scoliosis
  • Degenerative Spine Disorders
  • Degenerative Spondylolisthesis
  • Discogenic Pain
  • Epidural Lysis of Adhesions (LOA)
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Kyphosis
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Lumbar Disc Degeneration
  • Lumbar Herniated Disc
  • Lumbar Radiculopathy
  • Lumbar Spinal Stenosis
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Meningiomas
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Neuroplasty
  • Thoracic Spine Fracture
  • Thoracic Spine Myelopathy
  • Thrombosis
  • Torticollis

Dr Armstrong offers premier comprehensive spinal care and minimally invasive spinal surgery. This organization has offices throughout southern California. Dr Armstrong is a second generation physician. His practice philosophy can be summarized ...

• Neurosurgery

Baylor College Of Med
1986
Ben Taub General Hospital

Check the quality of care at hospitals where Dr. Armstrong treats patients.

West Hills Hospital & Medical Center

West Hills, CA

64% Patient experience rating, 5% lower than the national average

• Patient Safety Excellence Award™ (2019, 2018)

Los Robles Health System - Los Robles Regional Medical Center