Dr. Howard Mertz, MD

Dr. Howard Mertz, MD

Gastroenterology  ·
Dr. Howard Mertz, MD is a gastroenterology specialist in Nashville, TN and has been practicing for 27 years. He graduated from Baylor Col Of Med in 1986 and specializes in gastroenterology and internal medicine.Read his story

4230 Harding Pike # 309W

Nashville, TN 37205

• Blue Cross Blue Shield of Tennessee
  • Coventry Health Care of Tennessee

Learn about Dr. Mertz

See how frequently Dr. Mertz performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Endoscopy (Esophagus, Stomach, Small Intestine)
Gastroenterology Procedures
Abdominal Disorders

Dr. Mertz's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Mertz's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Mertz "Dr. Mertz graduated from Johns Hopkins and Baylor College of Medicine with honors. He was awarded the Caplowitz Prize at Baylor for outstanding student in internal medicine, and was a member of the medical honor society, AOA. He practiced for 10 years at Vanderbilt and has been at Saint Thomas West hospital since 2003. He is an education leader in Tennessee and former president of the Tennessee Society for Gastroenterology and Hepatology. His top priorities are quality of care, listening to his patients, and solving their problems by whatever means."

This content was provided by Dr. Mertz "I have a patient focused approach that begins with detailed discussion regarding symptoms. I am regarded by my peers as an excellent diagnostician, and frequently perform second opinion work.  I have been named every year as one of Nashville's top doctors by Nashville Lifestyle magazine and most recently by US News and World Report. I am a leader in the community with regards to education where I coordinate an annual gastroenterology and colorectal surgery course at Saint Thomas hospital.  I am well published, including a review article in the New England Journal of Medicine regarding the management of irritable bowel syndrome.   I am a leader in new techniques including endoscopic mucosa resection, which can remove flat polyps, tumors and even superficial cancers, preventing the need for invasive surgery.  I am the Tennessee leader in endoscopic ultrasound, with the largest experience (over 15,000 procedures), and a referral base throughout Tennessee and surrounding states.  Most of all I am a caring person and good listener."

• Gastroenterology

• Gastroenterology
    Accredited by: American Board of Internal Medicine*
    Accredited by: American Board of Internal Medicine*

No malpractice history found for Tennessee.

• John's Hopkins U
  • Johns Hopkins University / School Of Medicine
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1989
  • University Of California Los Angeles
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1991

Dr. Mertz has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Mertz does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Mertz and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Mertz's Reviews

3.6
Likelihood of recommending Dr. Mertz to family and friends

Dr. Mertz's Performance

Dr. Mertz Says:
"

I continue to provide comprehensive gastroenterology care to some of the sickest and most challenging patients in the community and the region.  The people I care for have often already been seen by other gastroenterologists and depend on me to manage or solve more complex problems.

I appreciate any feedback from patients so the patient experience in my practice can be improved.

"

Outstanding personal care, enthusiastic demeanor, and sensitivity to the health of my entire body.
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option0thumbs down icon option0
i had a complex mass in my colon. Dr Mertz was able to remove it and keep me from having surgery. The staff answered all my questions. I would recommend this physician to everyone.
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option0thumbs down icon option0
Dr. Mertz is a thorough, kind and caring doctor. He always takes the time to answer our questions and never makes us feel rushed. His office staff is great too, Stephanie is always kinds and helpful and always called us back in a timely manner..
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option0thumbs down icon option0

Thanks for your review. I try hard to listen to my patients and address all their symptoms and concerns.

My husband passed of pancreatic cancer. Originally diagnosed with small pseudocyst in tip of pancreas and told it was no big deal. After getting paperwork from hospital saying possible adenocarcinoma, we asked for CT as Mayo Clinic said scan every month for growth and to remove if growing. It had...more
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option2thumbs down icon option1

Without a name it is hard to specifically reply. If "paperwork from the hospital" was received it would have come from me so it sounds like follow up was advised. Best practice does not recommend surgery for precancerous cysts unless they are rapidly growing or partly solid. The Mayo clinic does not advise monthly CT scans, annual or less is standard. Pancreatic cancer is devastating, and modern medicine usually is unable to cure it. I am sorry I was unable to help your husband.

Mertz misdiagnosed my daughter. He told her she was just constipated and should take laxatives and an enema. The next day, we took her to the ER because she was in such pain. After a scan, a colon blockage was found. Mertz was so certain the blockage was Crohn's disease and placed a stent into the...more
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option1thumbs down icon option0

Malignant constipation in a young woman is very rare so enemas and laxatives were tried first. A colon stent was attempted to prevent a colostomy surgery when it became clear your daughter had a colon obstruction. Unfortunately that failed. I learned from your daughter's case, thank you for sharing.