Dr. Howard R. Mertz, MD

Dr. Howard R. Mertz, MD

Gastroenterology | Male

Nashville Gastrointestinal Spec 4230 Harding Pike Ste 309, Nashville, TN 37205 Get Directions

Learn about this Doctor

I have a patient focused approach that begins with detailed discussion regarding symptoms. I am regarded by my peers as...Read more

Personal Bio

Dr. Mertz graduated from Johns Hopkins and Baylor College of Medicine with honors. He was awarded the Caplowitz Prize...Read more

Dr. Mertz's Experience

97Experience
Match

See how Dr. Mertz's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Mertz

Dr. Mertz accepts 9 insurance carriers

9 Insurance Carriers Accepted*

*Please verify this information when scheduling an appointment

/* /.overlay-container */}

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Mertz has admitting privileges.

Hospital Quality Awards

Reviewing Dr. Mertz

Dr. Mertz's Review Details
3.6 based on 29 responses
Experience with Dr. Mertz
Dr. Mertz's Office & Staff
    16 – 30 minutes (27)
Dr. Howard R. Mertz, MD says

I continue to provide comprehensive gastroenterology care to some of the sickest and most challenging patients in the community and the region.  The people I care for have often already been seen by other gastroenterologists and depend on me to manage or solve more complex problems.

I appreciate any feedback from patients so the patient experience in my practice can be improved.

in Nashville, TN |
Wish I could leave 0 stars. This was a horrible experience. Dr. Mertz was condescending and just plain rude. Not to mention I waited 1 hour and 40 minutes after my scheduled appointment time to see Dr. Mertz. He barely said more than 5 words to me...explained nothing, didn't answer my questions..seemed in a hurry to get home for the day. If you want healers for gastrointestinal issues, I left crying and feeling defeated-- like I will never have a solution answer to my problem.
Gallatin, TN |
I found Dr. Howard Mertz to be in a hurry, to move on to his next patient or whatever his agenda was. I found him to be very condescending. He failed to explain to me what my test results were. He gave me two prescriptions one of which I researched on the internet and found the drug was used for seizures and neuropathy of which I had neither. He also gave me a prescription for pain pills and sent me on my way. No, I would not recommend this doctor.
Have you seen Dr. Howard R. Mertz, MD?

Compare Dr. Mertz

• Gastroenterology

Why It Matters: Dr. Mertz's Board Certifications

• Gastroenterology

Dr. Mertz says..

I have special expertise in inflammatory bowel disease.  I trained with Dr Steph Targan at UCLA, a leading IBD expert and research.

I am a leader in treatment of irritable bowel sydnrome, with extensive publications in this area.

I am a leader in endoscopic techniques, especially endoscopic mucosal resection, where I have performed over 500 resections with excellent results.  Many other gastroenterologists send cases to me with difficult to remove polyps or tumors for this special technique that can prevent surgery.

I am a leader in endoscopic ultrasound (EUS), a technique for diagnosing and staging tumors of the pancreas, esophagus, stomach, and rectum.  I have special training in this technique, and was the first in Tennessee to perform EUS.  My experience is the largest in the state and continues to be a high volume service at Saint Thomas West Hospital.

This information was supplied by or on behalf of the provider.
  • Abdominal Disorders
  • Gallstones
  • Gas-Bloat Syndrome
  • Gastric Ulcer
  • Gastritis
  • Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
  • Gastrointestinal Bleeding

• Colonoscopy With Polypectomy
  • Colonoscopy, Proctosigmoidoscopy, and Sigmoidoscopy
  • Endoscopic Mucosal Resection
  • Endoscopic Ultrasound
  • Endoscopy (Esophagus, Stomach, Small Intestine)
  • Fecal Impaction Removal
  • Gastroenterology Procedures
  • Liver Biopsy
  • Manometry
  • Percutaneous Edoscopic Gastrostomy (PEG)

No malpractice history found for Tennessee.

Baylor University

University Of California Los Angeles

Completed in 1991

John's Hopkins U

Graduated in 1982

Dr. Mertz has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Mertz does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Mertz and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

×

Dr. Mertz's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

• Specializes in Gastroenterology
  • Board certified in Gastroenterology and Internal Medicine
×

Why Does Experience Matter?

Patient Satisfaction Results for Dr. Mertz

Overall Patient Satisfaction Score

Dr. Mertz's Office & Staff

Ease of scheduling urgent appointments
Office environment, cleanliness, comfort, etc.
Staff friendliness and courteousness
Total wait time (waiting & exam rooms)
16 – 30 minutes

Experience with Dr. Mertz

Level of trust in provider's decisions
How well provider explains medical condition(s)
How well provider listens and answers questions
Spends appropriate amount of time with patients

Dr. Mertz says...

Dr. Mertz graduated from Johns Hopkins and Baylor College of Medicine with honors.  He was awarded the Caplowitz Prize at Baylor for outstanding student in internal medicine, and was a member of the medical honor society, AOA.  He practiced for 10 years at Vanderbilt and has been at Saint Thomas West hospital since 2003.  He is an education leader in Tennessee and former president of the Tennessee Society for Gastroenterology and Hepatology.  His top priorities are quality of care, listening to his patients, and solving their problems by whatever means.

Dr. Mertz's Care Philosophy

I have a patient focused approach that begins with detailed discussion regarding symptoms. I am regarded by my peers as an excellent diagnostician, and frequently perform second opinion work.  I have been named every year as one of Nashville's top doctors by Nashville Lifestyle magazine and most recently by US News and World Report. I am a leader in the community with regards to education where I coordinate an annual gastroenterology and colorectal surgery course at Saint Thomas hospital.  I am well published, including a review article in the New England Journal of Medicine regarding the management of irritable bowel syndrome.   I am a leader in new techniques including endoscopic mucosa resection, which can remove flat polyps, tumors and even superficial cancers, preventing the need for invasive surgery.  I am the Tennessee leader in endoscopic ultrasound, with the largest experience (over 15,000 procedures), and a referral base throughout Tennessee and surrounding states.  Most of all I am a caring person and good listener.