Dr. Howard Cohen, MD

Dr. Cohen
Telehealth services available

Mind - Body Medicine

10400 N Central Expy Dallas, TX 75231

Dr. Howard Cohen, MD is a Pain Medicine Psychiatry Specialist in Dallas, TX. Dr. Cohen has more experience with General Mental Health, Pain Management, and Neurodevelopmental Disorders than other specialists in his area. He is affiliated with Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Cohen to book an appointment.

Compare Doctors

Quickly compare more Psychiatrists in your area

See similar Psychiatrists in Dallas

• Hospital Satisfaction
  • Practices at Top Hospital
    Patient Safety Excellence Award™ See hospitals

Dr. Cohen accepts

Dr. Cohen accepts the following insurance:

National (BlueCard) PPO
HealthyBlue 2.0
HealthyBlue Advantage

No malpractice claims found for Texas

General Mental Health

General mental health includes management, treatment and prevention of mental illness through risk factor screenings, counseling, group therapy, and wellness support.Compare with other General Mental Health specialists.

Typically treats 89% more than their peers

Based on claims data for 8 conditions and procedures

Psychological Testing

Dr. Cohen performs Psychological Testing more than 100% of their peers

Dr. Cohen performs this procedure more than 100% of their peers

Psychogenic Disorders (incl. Psychogenic Pain)

Dr. Cohen treats Psychogenic Disorders (incl. Psychogenic Pain) more than 100% of their peers

Major Depressive Disorder

Dr. Cohen treats Major Depressive Disorder more than 99% of their peers

Dr. Cohen treats this condition more than 99% of their peers

Pain Management

Pain management specialists diagnose and treat pain and pain-related conditions through procedures including medication, electrical stimulation, physical therapy, and alternative therapies such as acupuncture.Compare with other Pain Management specialists.

Typically treats 89% more than their peers

Based on claims data for 10 conditions and procedures

Chronic Pain

Dr. Cohen treats Chronic Pain more than 100% of their peers

Benign Chronic Pain Syndrome

Dr. Cohen treats Benign Chronic Pain Syndrome more than 100% of their peers

Dr. Cohen treats this condition more than 100% of their peers

Psychogenic Disorders (incl. Psychogenic Pain)

Neurodevelopmental Disorders

Compare with other Neurodevelopmental Disorders specialists.

Typically treats 62% more than their peers

Autism

Dr. Cohen treats Autism more than 48% of their peers

Dr. Cohen treats this condition more than 48% of their peers

Developmental and Learning Disorders

Dr. Cohen treats Developmental and Learning Disorders more than 40% of their peers

Dr. Cohen treats this condition more than 40% of their peers

• Epidural Block, Facet Blocks
  • Major Depressive Disorder
  • Myofascial Trigger Point Injection
  • Neck Muscle Strain
  • Neck Strain (incl. Whiplash Injury)
  • Non-Cosmetic Chemodenervation
  • Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
  • Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder (OCPD)
  • Opioid Dependence
  • Pathological Spine Fracture
  • Personality Disorders
  • Polyneuropathy
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
  • Psychiatric Diseases
  • Psychiatric Medication Therapy
  • Psychogenic Disorders (incl. Psychogenic Pain)
  • Psychological Testing
  • Somatoform Disorders
  • Spinal Nerve Block
  • Spondylosis
  • Tobacco Use Disorder
  • Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS)
  • Trigeminal Neuralgia
  • Upper Back Pain

Help Improve Healthgrades

Does Dr. Howard Cohen, MD...

Offer evening visits?

Offer an online patient portal?

Have free onsite parking?

Communicate via email?

Offer weekend visits?

Dr. Cohen's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Cohen

3.4

5.1020408163265305%

Dr. Cohen?
What People Say About Dr. Howard Cohen, MD
For complex pain management, Dr. Howard Cohen is remarkable. He has impeccable education credentials and training. I have been with him a year and have experienced the most medically advanced care I have ever received. He is knowledgeable and thorough and that takes time. I understand schedules and the frustration of waiting; and for me, a wait of a couple of hours is worth the attention and understanding he gives each patient. I appreciate the drug screening tests he requires because I know that makes me and all his patients safer at the end of the day. I highly recommend him and his staff.
J Montgomery – Mar 11, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Howard Cohen, MD?
I am grateful and delighted that we have such a high caliber, top notch open minded physician in the DFW area. He is creative and brilliant.
Ellen – Jan 14, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Howard Cohen, MD?
Dr. Cohen is one of the best physicians I've been treated by, in the last 10 years, and there have been many. He puts his patients at ease and is easy talk with. He listens to his patients and always tries to find the cause of the patient's illness. He does not just treat symptoms, and he doesn't treat you by throwing drugs at you. He is definitely very motivated to get his patients as well as possible. I highly recommend Dr. Cohen. He's not only a good doctor, but most of all he is a good man. ADDENDUM Despite the current climate regarding pain management in our country, and the severe restrictions the DEA has placed on all pain management doctors nationally; Dr. Cohen is still diligently working to find a solution(s) for my and my fellow sufferers pain needs. You couldn't ask for a more dedicated physician than that. This man is a true and solid healer.
JAFO – Dec 05, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Howard Cohen, MD?
Dr. Cohen is amazing. He has helped me so much. His caring and compassionate nature has gotten him in trouble with the DEA. This is OUTRAGEOUS. SHAME ON YOU DEA. It is a long wait sometimes but he’s an amazing doctor who takes time to really listen. He’s well worth the wait.
Sally B in Fort worth , TX – Sep 12, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Howard Cohen, MD?
Howard Cohen helped to give me my my life back 15 years ago after my first PM doc retired. He's always offered many other treatment options in addition to medication. What is happening now is not his doing, it's the current government's administrative policies. He cares deeply about his patients.
Suzi E – Sep 04, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Howard Cohen, MD?
Wonderful - second to none! I've been under his care for five years. He is top notch and stays current with new treatment options for pain. He doesn't just herd you through his office. Rather, he sits down with you and thoroughly discusses all your issues, provides excellent counseling along with an individualized up-to-date treatment plan. He goes way beyond the time he spends with you compared to other physicians. He is extremely compassionate and personable. He surrounds himself with a knowledgable and caring staff. He goes the extra mile dealing with insurance companies.
cls in Pilot Point, TX – Jun 27, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Howard Cohen, MD?
Dr. Cohen has been a wonderful physician and I was on the verge of a real recovery inside and out until recently. It has taken over 3 weeks of persistent attempts to get his office to send over the paperwork for my short term disability. I am on the verge of loosing my job and I have already missed a whole month of pay. This stress has worsen my state of being and has reversed the progress I was making. My depression has increased which is causing my pain to increase. Frequency of suicidal thoughts and feelings of hopelessness is having an immense impact on my quality of life. I can't afford to loose my job but I am not fit to go back to work so where do I go from here. It's the little things in life that can make or break a person and because of the added stress I feel like I am in pieces again. I don't understand why it is so hard to fax over a couple of pages of my clinical notes so that I can continue with my medical care and get back to a good quality of life.
Apr 26, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Howard Cohen, MD?
My care and attention was consistently conscientious and professional from front office to physician. His assessment of my situation was thorough and he discussed my options clearly then we weighed the benefits and created a plan. His knowledge of the drug side-effects, benefits and interactions was thorough and wisely applied. His knowledge of basic genetic factors underlying my situation was very valuable. I see myself being able to function normally again.
Mar 29, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Howard Cohen, MD?
He is brilliant, compassionate & saved my life. I was out of work for 6 months and after seeing Dr. Cohen I have been able to work full time. He gives each patient the time they need. He is worth the wait.
Mar 28, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Howard Cohen, MD?
Stay away from this doctor. Sees you maybe once a year and the rest of the time you see a nurse practitioner. They load you up with pills for a while, getting you hooked then cut back when they are investigated. He also dropped all his Medicare patients June 2018 w/o any prior notice. This was for both straight Medicare and ones with Medicare Supplement Plans with big insurers (Humana, AARP, BSW Health Plan, Aetna, BCBS, etc)
Mar 08, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Howard Cohen, MD?
Dr. Cohen saved my life. I've been dealing with chronic pain for 35 years, I was at a point where I thought I would be on disability the rest if my life. With Dr. Cohen's help I lead a normal life and work a full-time job.
Lane Lewis – Dec 13, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Howard Cohen, MD?
I have called three times in a week to get an appointment, desperately needed, and I cannot even get a human. Just an impersonal answering machine, and no one calls me back. Unethical to your continuing patients.
Dallas, TX – Dec 10, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Howard Cohen, MD?
Dr. Cohen is one of the best physicians I've been to in the last 10 years. He puts me at ease and he's easy talk to. He listens to his patients and always considers the whole patient picture and does not treat just symptoms. He is definitely interested in the cause of the illness and tries to treat it instead of just throwing drugs at you. He is definitely very motivated to get the patient well. I highly recommend Dr. Cohen. He's not only a good doctor, but most of all he is a good man. L.H.R.
Nov 10, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Howard Cohen, MD?
After seeing him for months, I cancelled my appts because his staff would not listen nor believe that I had a herniated disc. Left in agony for months, I had no choice but to confirm my own diagnosis with those that would actually care for me.
Clifford Spicer in Garland TX – Jun 01, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Howard Cohen, MD?
I don't believe Howard  has a functioning understanding of the new guidelines set forth by the CDC ( which have admitted to a 200% data error..) he would rather hurt me than correct his mistake. I've been seeing him about 5 years on my last office visit he appeared to not recognize me. I have great concerns and I'm looking for another doctor...I feel like Dr Cohen is shaking my hand while choking my neck. To me someone who would hurt a person who is endured pain for 65 years is a Despicable Act
Manley in Dallas, TX – May 21, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Howard Cohen, MD?
Dr. Cohen is a genius. Bedridden @ 18 & 9mths of suffering, specialists & tests. Was it in my head? I saw Dr. Cohen- diagnosed me in 30min. He evolves w/ medicine to relieve those pained. He never settles- studies new research to unearth new diseases, treatments & medicines. A ‘95 trip to Europe he learned of a newly discovered disease & best treatment. He returned able to diagnose cause of my Mom’s pain & treat her. All the doctors had no answers, Dr. Cohen found them. He fights for patients.
McKenzie in Dallas – Apr 10, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Howard Cohen, MD?
He's extremely compassionate but he just gets it!!!! So darn smart!
Mar 29, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Howard Cohen, MD?
Thankfully, I have been under the care of Dr. Howard Cohen for four years. He and his staff have been incredible in helping me with pain management, depression, and dibilitating Post-Acute Benzodiazepine Withdrawal. Dr. Cohen is board certified in numerous areas of Pain and Psychiatry, which make him uniquely qualified to help in any of his areas of specialty. Dr. Cohen is brilliant at looking at each health issue that arises with care, commitment, and compassion that seldom exists today. A+++
SN in Dallas, Texas – Jan 07, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Howard Cohen, MD?
Dr. Cohen, Dawn and Debbie are wonderful. The office staff can be rude and grumpy. The worst part is the wait time is almost always ridiculous! Most times over 2 hours. They are overbooked all the time. So infuriating when you're in pain to begin with.
Garland, TX – Sep 21, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Howard Cohen, MD?
Dr. Cohen is a brilliant physician. He provides you the care you need when he sees you. He may run late but that is because he provides the highest quality care available. Don't let the wait detour you from seeing him. He saved my life. I have been seeing him for many years. I was out of work and now work a 50 + hour a week job and have my life back. I recommend him without reservation.
Dallas, TX – Aug 17, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Howard Cohen, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Cohen?

• Pain Medicine Psychiatry

Univeristy of Texas Southwestern
1980
Indiana University / School of Medicine

More Information

• Does Dr. Cohen communicate via email?

No users have indicated that Dr. Cohen communicates via email

• Does Dr. Cohen offer telehealth services or virtual visits?

No users have indicated that Dr. Cohen offers telehealth services or virtual visits

• Does Dr. Cohen offer an online patient portal?

No users have indicated that Dr. Cohen offers an online patient portal

• Does Dr. Cohen have free onsite parking?

No users have indicated that Dr. Cohen has free onsite parking

• Does Dr. Cohen offer weekend visits?

Yes, 1 patient said they offer weekend visits

• Does Dr. Cohen offer evening visits?

No users have indicated that Dr. Cohen offers evening visits