Dr. Hooman Melamed, MD

Orthopedic Spine Surgery •  Male • Age 47

Dr. Melamed

Hooman M. Melamed, MD, FAAOS

13160 Mindanao Way Marina Del Rey, CA 90292

Dr. Hooman Melamed, MD is a Orthopedic Spine Surgery Specialist in Marina Del Rey, CA. He is affiliated with medical facilities such as Cedars Sinai Marina del Rey Hospital and Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital. He is accepting new patients. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Melamed to book an appointment.

Compare Dr. Hooman Melamed, MD with other Orthopedic Spine Surgery Specialists near you

Dr. Melamed's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Melamed

Dr. Melamed?
Dr. Hooman Melamed provided me with a strong confidence in his expertise and skills from the moment he walked in the door. He was able to give me a hope and understanding of my condition and what was possible far beyond other surgeons and specialists I had been talking to at the time. Months after surgery I am recovering well, returning to the activities I love and most importantly able to hold my 8 month old daughter. If you have an issue with your lower back like i did or any other part of your spine, I highly recommend consulting with Dr. Melamed.
Joshua Fiedler – Sep 16, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Hooman Melamed, MD?
Dr. Melamed is very thorough. He answered all my questions. I would recommend him.
Aug 08, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Hooman Melamed, MD?
Dr. Melamed is a God send doctor who heals patients’ miserable spine problems! Not only he is a top surgeon but also an ethical one! I had a failed surgery with another doctor which caused my nerves compression from the very beginning and I couldn’t walk more than 5 minutes. That condition lasted me for 2 ½ months. I was panicked, anxious and depressed. Luckily during the Covid-19 crisis Dr. Melamed was able to arrange the operation within 8 days. The surgery was on April 15, 2020. Right after the surgery I was able to walk without any pain. I’ve been doing physical therapy 6 weeks post-op. The therapist thinks it’s amazing to see my fast recovery and how great the surgery was done (I had 3 levels of microdecompression instead of fusion!) I just want to say how successful the surgery was and how much I appreciate this wonderful doctor! I believe in a short time I can enjoy my favorite ballroom and Latin dancing again! Dr. Melamed, thank you so much for all you’ve done!
Iris Hsu – Jul 14, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Hooman Melamed, MD?
Dr. Melamed performed two level cervical disc replacement on me. My discs were injured 15 years prior in a roll over car accident and I didn’t know it. When I discovered the injury I thought I was having a stroke or heart attack with all the pain and numbness I had in my left arm and face. Dr. Melamed explained before surgery that I may have some permanent nerve damage. It’s been 6 months post op and I am starting to feel completely pain free. Given the age of my injury I’m amazed that I’m already starting to feel really good. Dr. Melamed has been there for me through the entire process. Helping me understand my pain and working with me week by week to feel better. I couldn’t ask for a better doctor/spinal surgeon.
Joseph Bing – Jul 08, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Hooman Melamed, MD?
I was referred to Dr. Melamed by my doctor, he said that he is the best in L.A. I had fusion back surgery by Dr. Melamed. In a matter of a week or 2, I started walking without sciatic pain at all. Today is my 6th week after this major surgery, I can tell that Dr. Melamed is the best in this field in Los Angeles. I know the difference because I did have fusion back surgery before. I recommend Dr. Melamed with a standing ovation.
Bachir Bekkaye – Jun 15, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Hooman Melamed, MD?
Not only was my operation a success, but Dr. Melamed was the only surgeon in the country who could perform my open spinal cord surgery. After over 4 years of paralysis and no feeling in my left leg and severe back pain. Within months I was out of my leg brace, walking, beginning to feel in my leg and foot and had absolutely no back pain. It cannot be overlooked that his staff were phenomenal. Olga and Lauren kept in close contact and handled all details including dealing with my insurance, to a level that can only be described as friendly, helpful and truly above and beyond. I cannot recommend enough that if you have a unique or difficult spinal condition requiring surgery, you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't speak with their office and have Dr. Melamed evaluate your condition. He is truly a fantastic surgeon but also an easy doctor to speak with and humble by nature. I cannot recommend them enough.
Kenneth Kaufman – May 31, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Hooman Melamed, MD?
This man left me permanently disabled. He is good at business and getting publicity, but he ruined my life with one surgery. I'm not the only one.
Apr 16, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Hooman Melamed, MD?
Dr. Melamed is the absolute model of what a physician should aspire to be. He is an expert in his field coupled with the fact that he cares about the patient’s experience and will take every precaution to create the most favorable outcomes possible. I would highly recommend him. I’ve gone through a dozen different surgeons in this field Who treated me like cattle and their suggestions were a template of what they would do for the disease regardless of where you are on the scale they give you the same treatment which may not be the most appropriate treatment but they don’t look at you as an individual - contrary to the other surgeons- Dr. Melamed looks at you as an individual and the way the disease has affected you. He won’t do unnecessary procedures… He does what you need done and will take the least invasive approach if possible… But he will make sure that it will address the problem. If more needs to be done then he gives you an honest assessment- that’s the kind of doctor I want!
Zana Bajlo – Apr 07, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Hooman Melamed, MD?
The great doctor is compassionate and yet informative. Also he has a great sense of humor. His staff is friendly, efficient, and caring.
Judy Whidden – Mar 04, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Hooman Melamed, MD?
Final check up. The Doctor makes things very personal and is detailed.
Robert Blakemore – Jan 25, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Hooman Melamed, MD?
Dr. Melamed is very personable and comfortable to talk to. I will highly recommend him to my family and friends.
Cindy B. – Dec 07, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Hooman Melamed, MD?
I had a disc replaced in my neck by Dr. Melamed, and my recovery entailed very little pain. I believe my recovery was (relatively) easy due to Dr. Melamed’s dedication and skill. He truly cares about his patients and I wish he could be my physician for everything.
Apr 27, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Hooman Melamed, MD?
As I read other testimonials and I think to myself that’s me. I had a ruptured L4,L5 that was pushing on my spinal cord. I couldn’t sleep and I could barely walk. The pain was almost unbearable. I was getting drop foot and that’s when I decided I better find the best back surgeon in California. I’ve heard a lot of terrible stories about having back surgery and I was extremely hesitant but the pain was mentally and physically exhausting. After the surgery the pain was gone and I was up and walk
Stephen Paul – Dec 26, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Hooman Melamed, MD?
Excellent doctor who listens to his patients and truely cares about their health.
John C in Taft – Dec 18, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Hooman Melamed, MD?
I came to Dr. Melamed after consulting with 4-5 different surgeons, all of whom told me that a fusion would be my only option. Dr. Melamed was able to successfully decompress the nerves in my spine without having to fuse despite having a spondylolisthesis. I can not recommend his practice enough. All of the staff are extremely friendly and are very timely in making sure you are taken care of.
Gary in EXETER, CA – Dec 13, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Hooman Melamed, MD?
Dr Melamed recently did a L3 and L4 fusion and a cyst removal from my spinal cord. I was walking within two hours of my surgery with minimal pain. Dr Melamed and staff are professional and would highly recommend him for spinal surgery. He answered all our questions and concerns with knowledge and experience. He is truly a gifted surgeon.
Kathy Tisinger in Bakersfield – Dec 05, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Hooman Melamed, MD?
Dr. Hooman Melamed is more than an top tier surgeon, he is a super hero of a doctor. I have nothing but positive things to say about my entire experience under his care. Dr. Melamed is one of the best (if not the best) out there at what he does, and surrounds himself with faculty at facilities that are great at what they do. I am 29 years old, now 11 weeks post op, recovering from my lumbar microdiscectomy surgery with stem cell; 4 weeks into my physical therapy. So grateful he was my surgeon.
Ferro – Sep 10, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Hooman Melamed, MD?
Dr. Melamed is the best doctor I have ever been to. I've had back issues since I was 19 years old (I'm 29 now) and have spent thousands of hours going to over 30 doctors and even did a lumbar surgery that was ineffective. Dr. Melamed correctly diagnosed me and did an AMAZING job during the surgery. He has given me a better life and for that I am forever grateful. Please go see him, you will not be disappointed.
Patrick Shelley in Los Angeles, TX – Aug 21, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Hooman Melamed, MD?
In a time where I was scared Dr. Hooman Melamed and his team guided me into my choice with a professional and empathetic touch. They worked quickly to set up my preop appointment and scheduled surgery with ease. Dr. Melamed even gave me information on my healthy eating plan for after surgery. It is a anti-Inflammatory diet created by a doctor by the name of Dr. Gundry. It was actually something I had researched prior to knowing that I had a herniated disc. I highly recommend Dr. Melamed.
Laura in Los Angeles, CA – Jul 17, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Hooman Melamed, MD?
Dr. Melamed went out of his way to alleviate all of the issues we were having and ended up operating on my back leading me pain free. I cannot delete the previous one star I gave him but would like to know change it to a 5 start. Thanks to dr. Melamed and his staff I am pain free and would recommend him to any and everyone. Chris Kilpatrick
Chris Kilpatrick in Bakersfield, CA – May 27, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Hooman Melamed, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Melamed?

Dr. Hooman M. Melamed is a highly regarded board certified orthopedic spine surgeon in the nation concentrating on disorders of the spine for adults and children. Dr. Melamed's areas of interest include minimally invasive and out-patient spinal surgery; complex cervical spine disorders; cervical/thoracic/lumbar degenerative disc disease and microsurgery; revision spine surgeries; second opinions; spine trauma/tumor; pediatric and adult deformities including spondylolisthesis, scoliosis, tumor, and kyphosis, artificial disc replacements, nonfusion technology, XLIF, stem cell therapy, pediatric and adult deformities including spondylolisthesis, tumor, kyphosis and scoliosis.

He currently serves as co-director of the spinal surgery program at DISC and appears as a regular guest on "The Doctors Show" on CBS.
Less...