Sports Medicine  |
Dr. Hooman Melamed, MD
Dr. Hooman M. Melamed is a highly regarded board certified orthopedic spine surgeon in the nation concentrating on disorders of the spine for adults and children. Dr. Melamed's areas of interest include minimally invasive and out-patient spinal surgery; complex cervical spine disorders; cervical/thoracic/lumbar degenerative disc disease and microsurgery; revision spine surgeries; second opinions; spine trauma/tumor; pediatric and adult deformities including spondylolisthesis, scoliosis, tumor, and kyphosis, artificial disc replacements, nonfusion technology, XLIF, stem cell therapy, pediatric and adult deformities including spondylolisthesis, tumor, kyphosis and scoliosis. He currently serves as co-director of the spinal surgery program at DISC and appears as a regular guest on "The Doctors Show" on CBS.

13160 Mindanao Way Ste 300

Marina Del Rey, CA 90292

• Blue Cross Blue Shield of California

Learn about Dr. Melamed

Dr. Melamed's Experience

Dr. Melamed's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Sports Medicine

• Coccyx or Sacrum Fracture
  • Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • Gout
  • Internal Derangement of Knee
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Lupus
  • Neck Strain (incl. Whiplash Injury)
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Non-Unions and Malunions of Fractures

• Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
  • Epidural Block, Facet Blocks
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Kyphoplasty, Percutaneous
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Myofascial Trigger Point Injection
  • Nerve Block, Sympathetic
  • Spinal Compression Fracture Repair
  • Spinal Cord Stimulation
  • Spinal Fusion
  • Spinal Nerve Block
  • Spinal Reconstructive Surgery for Deformities

No malpractice history found for California.

• University Of California At Los Angeles
  • University Of Illinois At Chicago Med Center
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2004
  • Cedars Sinai Med Center
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2005

Dr. Melamed has no media or publications listed.

• California Orthopaedic Association, Member

Dr. Melamed's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Melamed to family and friends
Dr. Melamed's Performance
Goleta, CA |
To say that Dr. Hooman Melamed is the most compassionate, caring and talented surgeon in the United States would be an understatement. Through my many years of suffering, excruciating pain, and surgeries, I can assure you, I've met many doctors, but none quite like Dr. M. He was put on this Earth for a specific reason, and that is to help people like me achieve a life of quality. He is truly gifted.
in Bakersfield, CA |
Dr. Melamed and his staff have been professional and courteous each time I've been in his office. I had seen several back doctors prior to Dr. Melamed without any solution to my back issues. I have improved dramatically under Dr. Melamed's care.
in Menifee, CA |
Dr. Hooman Melamed-an amazing surgeon-performed a complicated & risky surgery on me. A grenade exploded & thrust me onto my back & neck. A dr. fused my cervical vertebrae in a bent position. Performing a risky surgery-breaking fusions & stabilizing my neck-Melamed felt he could correct it. Surgery took 13 ½ hours! Surgery successful, but Melamed remained thru the night testing for paralysis. No paralysis & now I stand straight. I highly recommend Dr. Melamed. You will find he’s the BEST!
in Los Angeles, CA |
This doctor is a so gracious!!! He reviewed my husband's MRI for a second opinion during his lunch time. Not many doctors will do this for you which made me realize that he is absolutely passionate about his job and the wellbeing of his patients. He explained in detail my husband's issues along with his symptoms and advised that if proper care was implemented in his lifestyle the back issue could possibility get resolved and surgery would not be necessary. No wonder he is called The Spinepro!!!!
in Manhattan Beach, CA |
Being a registered nurse I made sure to find the best surgeon to perform my emergent cervical spinal posterior discectomy and foraminotomy. After 3 consults I chose the best Dr. Melamed. After suffering for 9½ years I am finally pain free. Please read my full review on Yelp, Google, or Dr. Melamed's website. If you are in need of spinal surgery Dr. Melamed is the surgeon for you. I would not let anyone else touch my spine. Thank you Dr. Melamed. Pain free finally, you are my hero.
in Manhattan Beach, CA |
Being a registered nurse I made sure to find the best surgeon to perform my emergent cervical spinal posterior discectomy and foraminotomy. I was injured September 8, 2007 lifting a patient and herniated discs C4-C7. I kept away from surgery because I was afraid. I made it exactly 9 ½ years and 2 days without surgery. My C7 disc ruptured from overuse (lifting and turning patients). I woke up on a Saturday to left trapezius and shoulder pain that progressed to numbness and tingling down my left
in Los Angeles, CA |
I have to give Dr. Hooman Melamed a big thank you for giving me my life back. After neck and back surgery I can actually jump out of bed with no pain. At the age of 50, I feel as though I have a back of a 20 year old. I’m not taking life for granted. I’ve been not stop on my feet since then. PAIN FREE!. A miracle. NO MORE SCIATICA, NO MORE ARM AND LEG NUMBNESS,NO PAIN..... I HAVE A LIFE!!
Gardena, CA |
Dr. Melamed was always good to me and has taken great care of me. I made a mistake and went to a different surgeon and now I'm back so he can fix what should have been fixed initially.
Whittier, CA |
Dr. Melamed is truly an outstanding Doctor. From the first minute in his office he made me feel at ease and excited about the possibility of finally being pain free. He diagnosed me with spondylolisthesis and I had an Ant/Post Fusion with Micro Decompression. Just 5 months post op I was cleared for all activity and haven't had pain since week 3. My 75 year old mother just had the same surgery and feels fantastic! Dr. Melamed is a true miracle worker!!!
in Tehachapi, CA |
I was referred to Dr. Melamed by a friend. I was immediately impressed when I called and was scheduled for a consult the next day. At the appointment I was able to get x-rays and MRI on site. Once Dr. Melamed determined I needed surgery, he scheduled it at my convenience. The surgery was completed in one 7 hour procedure and the staff at the surgery center had me up and walking that same day. I received the best care and treatment from EVERYONE and, 8 months later, I am pain free. Thank you!
in Los Angeles, CA |
If you are living with pain and discomfort and feel as if you have no way out - I can honestly say, Dr. Melamed is your answer. After many years of suffering with back pain, neck pain and eventually numbness in my right arm, I started to experience weakness in my arm as well. I Immediately went to see Dr. Melamed. After discussing my situation, reviewing my X-Rays and MRI results, he was able to pin point what might be causing the weakness. He requested a CT Scan on the spot, and was able
in Lake Isabella, CA |
After 6 years of living in a recliner chair because of back pain, I found Dr. Melamed on The Doctors TV show. I made my first call to his office about 6 months later. Soon after he received my MRI, I had my first office visit. I can't say enough about Dr. Melamed - he's professional, knowledgeable, honest, empathetic and very detailed in his explanations. He pointed out, from my MRI, why I was in pain and exactly what he would do to alleviate it. I was living on Vicodin - now no pain!
in Newport Beach, CA |
He's simply the best spine surgeon. We have referred him patients and he's done an amazing job and all the patients are extremely happy. He's expertise and compassion is second to none.
in Lynwood, CA |
Dr. Melamed is simply the best spine surgeon. After seeing 3 other surgeons that I wanted to do multiple stages in 2 days scoliosis correction operation on my grandpa, dr. Melamed did the entire surgery in one stage in under 6 hrs. He went to rehab in 4 days and Now 3 months out he's doing amazing off all pain meds. If you need scoliosis surgery look no where. Dr. Melamed has the best expertise and technical skills. Thank you Dr. Melamed
in Los Angeles, CA |
Dr. Melamed is simply the most amazing and talented surgeon we have ever seen. We saw 4 other surgeons and no surgeon took as much time and explain in such precise detail what exactly is scoliosis and how the surgery is done. He explained to us why my mother was having such back pain and shooting pains down her leg. Also he pointed out to us the slight kyphosis that she was having. My mother needed spine surgery b/c of her progressive scoliosis and surgery. All 4 other surgeons wanted to do
Today was our second and last visit. Drove 2 1/2 hours for appt, waited OVER an hour and NO ONE bothered to even check with us. I inquired and was told it would be 30+ more minutes. When we first got there they couldn't find his file. Our first appt we were sent to two different offices for xrays they already had copies of. We left, will find a new Dr who cares about his patients.
in Santa Monica, CA |
Dr. Melamed is simply the best! He performed spine surgery on my husband (Barry) and the results were amazing. I cannot say enough good things about how skilled, competent, and caring he is. And his staff is very efficient, nice, and organized. Dr. Melamed is, to me, a miracle worker. I trust him completely, and I am very grateful to him.
in Santa Monica, CA |
I went to Dr. Melamed with 3 degenerated lumbar discs. He urged the conservative approach- waiting to see if I responded positively to an epidural injection, then only operating on the worst disc. He even called me on a Sunday to help schedule surgery. Immediately post-op the sciatic pain that dominated my everyday life was gone. 2 months post surgery I feel great- I used to be at an 7 or 8/10 on the pain scale every day, and now I'm at 0-1/10. I only wish I had gone to see him sooner. Great doc
Have you seen Dr. Hooman Melamed, MD?
Are you Dr. Melamed?